anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    A daily thing I deal with at work. Watching people do 1+ hours of cardio and not changing at all (if overeweight), kids lifting complaining they can't grow, but don't bother to track how much they are really eating, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    It’s not a surprise though. Anyone with social media is likely so confused and receives so many mixed messages, in addition to not being honest with themselves. There are generational trends / excuses that pop up too. People at my work are relatively healthy though so we mostly peek at each others food and ask for recipes. I like all the drama you guys live with… very intriguing.
  • princessneet1
    princessneet1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 5st 2 years ago with ww but unfortunately have put 3 back on . I’m trying this now . My friend at work is always in and out of slimming world but even though I know it’s utter rubbish eg unlimited pasta , 0 sins for a banana but 5 if it’s mushed ( how can you eat a banana without mushing it in your mouth I don’t know 🤣 ) anyway I’m just supportive of her and let her get on with it . If it works for her it leave her to it
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I worked with my folks for decades, so I had an unusual variation on these issues.

The few times I tried to lose weight, my morbidly obese mother would bring in grocery sacks of my favorite treats and leave them on the kitchen table, or fill the office candy dishes with chocolate and tootsie rolls (I never bothered the hard candy). She openly tried to sabotage me, and it always worked. That was on me, btw.

When she went into the hospital for an extended period, due to consequences of diabetes, I had to go through her desk to make sure nothing was hanging fire. I was shocked when I found dozens of bottles of diet pills hidden in her desk, and brought them to the hospital, in case her care team needed to go through them. She was outraged. “Customers gave them to me!” WTF? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyway, now that I’m retired, it’s the ladies at the gym who gripe about their weight. They have detailed discussions of where they’re going for lunch and dinner, and what they had the night before. And they’re mad at me because I don’t participate. I’m “thin” and “athletic” and it’s easy for me

I got so aggravated I pulled out my phone and showed them a picture from five years and a hundred pounds ago, and they refused to believe it. Said I was showing them a relative or something.

*facepalm*

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    I worked with my folks for decades, so I had an unusual variation on these issues.

The few times I tried to lose weight, my morbidly obese mother would bring in grocery sacks of my favorite treats and leave them on the kitchen table, or fill the office candy dishes with chocolate and tootsie rolls (I never bothered the hard candy). She openly tried to sabotage me, and it always worked. That was on me, btw.

When she went into the hospital for an extended period, due to consequences of diabetes, I had to go through her desk to make sure nothing was hanging fire. I was shocked when I found dozens of bottles of diet pills hidden in her desk, and brought them to the hospital, in case her care team needed to go through them. She was outraged. “Customers gave them to me!” WTF? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyway, now that I’m retired, it’s the ladies at the gym who gripe about their weight. They have detailed discussions of where they’re going for lunch and dinner, and what they had the night before. And they’re mad at me because I don’t participate. I’m “thin” and “athletic” and it’s easy for me

I got so aggravated I pulled out my phone and showed them a picture from five years and a hundred pounds ago, and they refused to believe it. Said I was showing them a relative or something.

*facepalm*

True to life, though I have to say my mom wasn't like that. I didn't lose weight until after retirement, so not much co-worker drama, but I avoided discussing my weight loss efforts with friends/relatives if possible (except a tiny number on similar wavelength) because it always ended badly.

Now, 7+ years into maintenance at a healthy weight after previous decades of overweight/obesity, some friends/relatives insist that it's my exercise activity, that I'm "naturally thin", or "don't need to worry".

Yeah, no.

I was overweight/obese for a dozen years doing about the same exercise I do now (just eating more calories). If I didn't stick to reasonable overall eating habits on average now, I'd be back in the obese category fairly quickly. That's not what I want for myself.

A friend who saw me order a "sandwich" without the bun several times at a restaurant decided (and told others) that I'd "given up bread". No, kiddo, I'm not a big bread gal, the buns at that restaurant are meh, and I'm not going to waste categories on non-tasty stuff, thanks. Some nice artisan focaccia from my favorite bakery? Better bet I'm eating that!

I just eye roll a little (ideally just inside my own head) and go on with being me. Not worth engaging.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    It’s amazing to me how soon folks who knew us “before” totally and utterly forget we were overweight and lazily fall back on “it’s so easy for you”.

I’ve even argued with people and pulled out old photos from the phone. They just look nonplussed. “I don’t remember you like that.”

Brains are a weird thing. It’s like third-person Dysmorphia.