JULY 2015 MOVE CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    Options
    First of all ... July 1 ...

On July 1 - Canada Day - my cousin David, husband Rowan, and I hiked to the top of Mt Cheam in lower mainland BC.

The adventure began with a drive about 2/3 of the way up the mountain ... first on a nicely paved road, then onto a gravel road, and then onto a forestry track which required vehicles like David's 4WD Jeep. And of course, on the narrowest part of the road with a cliff on one side and steep drop off on the other was when we met oncoming traffic descending from the mountain. That gave me, on the passenger side, looking down the steep drop off a few heart-in-mouth moments.

But we made it to the trailhead and started the hike. First a climb over a huge, carefully placed fallen log, and then onto a wide and gently climbing trail. That part was lovely with views of the valley and mountains, including Mt Baker, in the distance. We crossed a little bridge and the trail narrowed as we made our way past little Spoon Lake and through meadows of wildflowers.

And then the trail began to climb steeply. We were still in the meadows of wildflowers and surrounded by beautiful views so there was always something to look at as we climbed and when we stopped to catch our breath or have something to drink. There are very few trees on the way up, mainly just long grass and a variety of wildflowers, including a plant that looks suspiciously like corn.

The trail levelled for a short while and passed through a grove of pine trees where we stopped for a break in the shade. It was hot! The starting temperature down in the valley was about 30C, and although it did cool as we climbed, it didn't cool by much.

Then we continued climbing again until we reached the first lookout a short way from the top, complete with a bench for us to rest on. That lookout provides stunning views of Agassiz, Chilliwack, Harrison Lake, Cultus Lake, and of course, the Fraser River.

We stayed there a little while before completing the ascent to the top of the mountain, where there is an breath-taking unobstructed 360-degree view of the entire area, including Lady Peak immediately to the south, Mount Baker off in the distance, Jones Lake below, and the entire Fraser Valley. It is an incredible view! Well worth the climb. David and Rowan ventured quite close to the edge, but edges make me nervous so I stayed back a bit.

Not long after we got there, a couple of guys hiked up and one was carrying what looked like a flag pole ... and it was exactly that. He unfurled a Canadian flag on the peak, in celebration of Canada Day!

Then we descended, and while descending may, in some ways, be easier than ascending a mountain, it was steep and put a strain on our quads. I know my legs were shaking at times. The whole hike was a great workout.

In total, the 9.5 km hike, with 700 metres of climbing, took us approx. 4 hours to complete.
    http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/mount-cheam/

My photos start with the one labelled "01Jul15_MtCheamClimb_01" ... and there are quite a few. They go on to the second page.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/sets/72157654396714698
  • salfit2
    salfit2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Machka9,
    Sounds amazing and thank you for that inspiration.

I walk indoors on my treadmill but stepped outside last Friday and walked the trail at one of my local forest preserves. And I felt the difference immediately! Not only was there fresh air, sunshine, and had a nice chat with my friend, I got to hear bull frogs, see the wild flowers of many colors and watch some guys flying their model airplanes. Not to mention really worked my legs and feet. Not a bad start to a holiday weekend.

I'm already looking forward to this Saturday, where I plan to walk the trail in the opposite direction, then stop at the local farmers market.
  • jeanniewes
    jeanniewes Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WELCOME again too all the Newbies!
    WELCOME BACK Machka! You have been one busy lady!!! Have been too Canada several times. It is gorgeous there. We've visited Peggy's cove twice. We have a friend who lives in Nova Scotia.

Today I got in 3.25 Miles...so happy the rain has stopped!

TOTALS as of July 6th...
    Exercise Bike 6.1 miles.....
    Walking Miles....18.0
  • Machka9
    Options
    March Cycling: 409.33 km (254.34 miles) = 21 hours 55 min
    March Walking: 80.47 km (50 miles) = 16 hours 9 min
    March Total: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min

April Cycling: 384.15 km (238.7 miles) = 20 hours 35 min
    April Walking: 107.79 km walking (67 miles) = 22 hours 31 min
    April Total: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min

May Cycling: 259.06 km (160.9 miles)
    May Walking: 102.75 km (63.8 miles)
    May Time: 2060 min (34 hours 20 min) walking & cycling + 45 min stairs & weights + 45 min cycling inside
    May Total: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) + stairs, weights and cycling inside = 35 hours 50 min

June Cycling Inside: 215 minutes on bicycle on trainer in basement = 3 hours 35 min
    June Cycling Outside: 493.53 km (306.6 miles) in 1531 min cycling outside = 25 hours 31 min
    June Walking: 76 km (47.2 miles) in 922 min = 15 hours 22 min
    June Time: 2513 min (41 hours 53 min) walking + cycling inside + 1 hour paddling in a sea kayak + some extra time climbing flights of stairs
    June Total: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) + cycling inside + 1 hour paddling in a sea kayak + some extra time climbing flights of stairs

Onward to July!

My goal … move a total of at least 500 km. :)

Wednesday, 1 July - 9.5 km walking (240 min) ... this was a hike up to the top of a mountain and back.
    My photos start with the one labelled "01Jul15_MtCheamClimb_01" ... and there are quite a few. They go on to the second page. https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/sets/72157654396714698

Thursday, 2 July – 5 km walking (60 min)
    Friday, 3 July – 5 km walking (60 min)

Saturday, 4 July – 0 km … this day did not exist for us, crossing the international date line meant that we skipped it all together.

Sunday, 5 July - 1.5 km walking (20 min)
    Monday, 6 July - 2.3 km walking (25 min)

Subtotals:
    July Cycling: 0 km so far
    July Walking: 23.3 km in 405 min
    July Other: 0 so far
    July Time: 405 min = 6 hours 45 min

Slow start, but we have been travelling ... and now we're back into the depths of winter.
  • salfit2
    Options
    I'm ready for bed, but wanted to add my walk from this evening 3 miles. My hips need a good stretch but I'm smiling
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Goal 200
    7-3 14.14 miles- road bike
    7-4 9.43 miles- road bike
    7-6 13.33 miles- road bike

MTD- 36.90
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! How exciting to see the new recruits! Welcome to you all. I've been out of pocket for this past long Independence Day weekend. Back in the saddle today! @Machka9, you are one busy little lady! But what a great time you shared with us! Thank you for that, truly. @salfit2, I can't help but encourage you to get outdoors more. The vitamin D alone is a great reason. The bullfrogs are a close 2nd!! :D

15.5 total miles (traveling plays havoc with my mileage! Huff...)
  • SteveCro
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Checking in for duty..

My goals:

Cycling - 80 miles
    Walking - 50 miles
    Swim - 100 laps
    Stronglifts 5X5 - 6 times
    Lindy Hop class - 4 times

Total mileage - 130 miles.

Started the month badly. A 3 mile cycle each way, but then lounging in a hot tub with a glass or two of Prosecco made the ride back uncomfortable particularly when I came down hard on my crossbar.

Took a few days to recover, but did a good eighteen miler this evening once it had cooled a bit. The moment when a stinging insect got caught in my cleavage was a shocking one, and now I lie writing this, with red lumpy welts growing across a tender part of my anatomy.......

yeowza! Bad start no doubt.. in all the wrong places.. It can only get better I hope!
  • jeanniewes
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rain every day has put me a bit behind as well BUT it is that we carry on!

Today (with my girls) 2.5 Walking miles...
    I then had too walk a bit more too go where Blackberries were. I picked Berries for an hour and 10 minutes and walked back home... That gave me another 2.0 Walking Miles.....TOTAL 4.5 Walking miles today...

TOTALS as of July 7th...
    Exercise Bike 6.1 miles.....
    Walking Miles....22.5 thus far...
  • salfit2
    Options
    I was talking with a coworker about my July challenge and she thinks 100 miles is a lot for one month. I told her I'll do what I can this month then that will be my miles to beat next month.

Sound like a good plan? Yep, I think so too
  • jeanniewes
    Options
    YES, salfit2 that sounds great! Look at it this way IF you don't make the 100 miles but are close then make the 100 miles your goal next month. I always make my goal a bit higher than last month. It gives me encouragement that I MAY can make that....

Last night late I did manage a 4.2 Exercise Bike Ride...

Today at 7:30 a.m it is already HUMID. Suppose too be in the nineties today so I walked early. Todays total on walking will be 4.0. I don't think I'll get another in this evening if it gets that hot..

TOTALS as of July 8th...
    Exercise Bike 10.3 miles.....
    Walking Miles....26.5 thus far...

• jesiann2014
    Options
    @salfit2, I had to chuckle a bit at your post. The thing about coworkers... Well, I guess they mean well but the most I usually get from this interaction is a little schooling on how NOT to be. If you are desiring to better yourself through setting a goal of 100 miles, I and all the rest of us here applaud you! I think it's fabulous that you believe in yourself and that you aspire to complete this goal. And if you don't reach 100 miles this month, the really great thing about months and that there's always another one!! Just try again next month. My goal is always 100 miles too. Most months I make it, some months I don't. If I don't kick into gear this month... There's always next. :) YES, your plan is a good one!!!

@jeanniewes, I just went blackberry picking last week! We have TONS of them around our place and I LOVE them with yogurt and cottage cheese and a bit of honey. YUM!

18.5 total miles
  • SteveCro
    Options
    Goal 200
    7-3 14.14 miles- road bike
    7-4 9.43 miles- road bike
    7-6 13.33 miles- road bike
    7-7 18.14 miles- road bike, wicked windy- felt like I was riding side wind at an angle to the road.

MTD- 55.04
  • SteveCro
    Options
    salfit2 wrote: »
    I was talking with a coworker about my July challenge and she thinks 100 miles is a lot for one month. I told her I'll do what I can this month then that will be my miles to beat next month.

Sound like a good plan? Yep, I think so too

That's exactly how to use it.. Don't look at others numbers and get discouraged, our only challenge is within ourself.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Recent
    Jogging/Running - 3.0 miles (7/6)
    Hiking - 3.8 miles (7/8)

Month to Date
    Cycling - 16.3 miles (100 Miles Goal)
    Jogging/Running - 4.7 miles (25 Miles Goal)
    Hiking - 3.8 Miles (0 Miles Goal)
    Total - 18.0 miles (125 Miles)
  • salfit2
    Options
    Hi all, I'm really enjoying this. I love seeing everyone's posts. And thank you for the encouragement.

I walked 2 miles this evening to bring my Total so far to 13 miles!
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Jog from last night.

Recent
    Jogging/Running - 3.0 miles (7/8)

Month to Date
    Cycling - 16.3 miles (100 Miles Goal)
    Jogging/Running - 7.7 miles (25 Miles Goal)
    Hiking - 3.8 Miles (0 Miles Goal)
    Total - 21.0 miles (125 Miles)
  • jesiann2014
    Options
    Good words, Steve! Good words indeed!

Can you people say H.O.T.?? Oh my word, it is so hot and humid here in my neck of the woods! I'm afraid I would simply melt if I had to walk outdoors. Only in the early mornings would it be feasible but I'm out the door by 6:00 for work, so hello treadmill. :)

22.5 total miles
  • Machka9
    Options
    Can you people say H.O.T.?? Oh my word, it is so hot and humid here in my neck of the woods! I'm afraid I would simply melt if I had to walk outdoors. Only in the early mornings would it be feasible but I'm out the door by 6:00 for work, so hello treadmill. :)

I was all excited this morning when I caught the bus and it was 7C out there ... instead of 0C. :)

• jeanniewes
    Options
    lol i always find a laugh here and there....HOT? It was 94 degrees in the city today BUT here on this mountain it was a less Hot 86 degrees....lol...

Jesiann I love making Blackberry jelly, Blackberry cobblers and YES just eating the Blackberries. My neighbor and I are going out again tomorrow morning. She is 30 years old. I have been teaching her how too can pickles, make jelly for about 5 years now. I am also learning too make Sugar Free or light jelly for my husband. I found a sure-jell that is for low or no sugar. We will see how that goes. I dont make jelly until it is a bit cooler. Do not like heating up the house as my AC is not working well. I will have a new unit in the Fall.

Today we walked early A.M with the girls. Visited a Friend who gave me garden Cabbage, Squash, Okra, Cucumbers and Acorn squash. We walked a bit in the park, had lunch, visited my mom, came home and and Canned Okra. I am a tired puppy...lol
    3.25 Walking Miles today...

TOTALS as of July 8th...
    Exercise Bike 10.3 miles.....
    Walking Miles....29.75 thus far...