WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Minnesota made the news and it wasn't weather!! Terrible the dentist killing the beautiful lion. Why, paid 54,000 for the permit. He also killed a black bear which was protected. What next??? I'm not doing well today, have a cluster headache, haven't had one for years.. Mary where are you in mm??? Sorry so negative today, all I want is a cookie. All keep up the good wok!!!! I always say " dance in your uniqueness, you're a bore without it" Gayle Minneapolis

Someone put it nicely on "The Five" last night when she said she had no probably if you shoot to eat something. This man paid over $50K for a trip to 'kill for sport'. IT is NOT like he wasn't depending on guides to call in a big lion or whatever he was hunting - they are at fault as much as he is, if not more. There were local and knew where the preserve was located. They ought to be the ones facing jail time. We shoot to put venison on our table and not for the sport of it. But, big game hunting is a sport in Africa and many people pay huge amounts to get to go on one of these safaris. I don't agree with it at all.

I think I am probably going to 'blow' my weekend's calories. On a 4-day weekend with granddaughters. Holy BEACH, here we are!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive words my friends.... In 2003 I had pretty much destined myself to be the most active obese woman possible. Even outlawing bras and baulking to have them in my undergarment drawer. It just seemed pointless... I embraced the word obese, just tired of putting so much energy into changing myself. At 265 lbs I could still walk my last kid to school without him being embarrassed. I asked him....and he said, Oh you are my Mom, I like walking with you". Of course he was my scary smart kid, and he said when I get old and grey he would take care of me in Paris... I attended the resort with the whole family, playing tennis with my sons, and it just didn't matter. Then my husband said, "You look bad". And my brain and heart paid attention and I didn't swat the man. So I lost 75 lbs with Jenny Craig from 2009 to 2010. Doing it for other people or to make other people happy isn't the best way to go. I was proud of myself, but I didn't get the acknowledgement from my husband that I thought would happen. He never knew I got down to 179 lbs. I never shared, and so my brain didn't learn. I do have a faint memory of what it felt like, and that feeling I hold onto each day. I will be damned to not get the lesson this time around. With each lb gone I need to be in the moment, and just be present. With each lb gone I need to be respectful with myself. Giving myself praise, and not letting society determine what my emotional state should be. Inherently we all need praise and validation from others, but relying on it for our own sense of self-worth is another thing entirely. When I was stationed in Japan, my husband out to sea, I would be sad and call my Mom, and she would tell me family gossip and make me feel better. When I was happy I called family and shared happiness. Lately its been nice to feel the feelings and not bounce them off anyone. I make my own music. I beat my own drum.

Becca being philosophical in the Oregon.....(is it the sun today...who knows!)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vicki - I had to laugh about putting your true weight on your driver license next year. I think this may be the first time I have in my life. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca - very insightful, I do think most of us crave validation from others. I never thot about it much. My husband still tells me every day how good I look and/or how proud he is of me. But I need to work on the validating from within. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The weather forecast for Beautiful NW Oregon is "inferno" for the next few days with temps at or above 100 degrees. Yikes! My riding lesson for tomorrow was scheduled for 4:30 pm, at the very hottest part of the day. It wouldn't be safe for the horse so I called my teacher and asked if it would be possible to move the lesson to early morning. She called the stable owner, and we're on for 8 am. :bigsmile: I hope she doesn't want me to ride in the dusty arena. I doubt the owner will sprinkle it with water and I want to be outside where I can breathe!

Portland is in the middle of a protest that you may have seen on TV. Greenpeace activists suspended themselves from the St. John's Bridge today and paddled kayaks in the river beneath the bridge to prevent Shell Oil's icebreaker from returning to the arctic to help drill for oil. A woman from my hometown was interviewed by news reporters. She says she is participating because, "it is the right thing to do." We drive by this bridge every time we drive into Portland. We certainly are living in interesting times.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Annr
    Options
    @Katla49 We are watching it on the news presently... I think they lost their focus on making a point. They want to block the icebreaker and stall it abit but all Portland is thinking about is the issue that the commuters can't use the bridge. It is making it impossible for bike riders that use the bridge to get where they need to go. Was that the object of the protestors? I doubt it. Yes they are getting media attention, but the ship will go up to Alaska probably today or tomorrow. Alaskan people want it there. The ship is part of the exploration process.
  • Annr
    Options
    Like those goals @Katla49
    July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

I remember my mother telling me to count my chews before I swallowed. What she didn't know what that I was swallowing at 2-4 chewing and moving my mouth for the other ones... I haven't missed alcohol, but every now and then I do have a craft beer....I am in prime micro-brewery country! I usually get 8 hrs of sleep a night.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    If I want my husband to say something nice to me, I have to give him the exact words that I want to hear. It's not because he doesn't think good things about me, but because his brain just doesn't say "hey, Terri might enjoy hearing something nice from me today". So although he could potentially say something mean without intending to hurt me, he would never say something nice to make me feel good on his own. So, Becca, take the best of what is said, and the rest with a grain of salt. It is my best guess that he does love and admire you, but doesn't know you need to hear it. I will never change my mind - the majority of men are just too ignorant. You can't live with them, and you can't shoot them. So, I just keep telling mine what to buy me for gifts, and what to say that I need to hear.

Katla - best of hopes for your horse riding tomorrow. I really miss it, but don't know if my back could handle it anymore.

The good news: I spoke with the PA and RN at work about my upcoming colonoscopy. I CAN take my RA medicine, but the only pain reliever is acetaminophen. The biggest part of the problem is that most of the foods on the "ok" list are triggers for my arthritis, so I will be VERY bored with the few foods I will be able to eat.

Time to get ready for bed.

Take Care and Hugs ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    GaYLE - Just wanted to add to the other comments, increase your fiber and veggies, try raw veggies with salsa.
    Lots of walking this week, my weight is up this week. So happy starting a new month & fresh start.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    1st time w/backpack since accident
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.27min, 14.3amph, 2.9mi = 87c
    spin- 35min, 87ar, 102aw, 10-15g, 15mi = 287c
    ride gym 2 wk- 52.39min, 13amph, 11.4mi = 476c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.48min, 9.9amph, 2.6mi = 192c
    total cal 1042
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    If I want my husband to say something nice to me, I have to give him the exact words that I want to hear. It's not because he doesn't think good things about me, but because his brain just doesn't say "hey, Terri might enjoy hearing something nice from me today".
    Terri in Milwaukee
    I have the exact same thing with my husband. He will say something to me and then I don't give him the response he expects so I rephrase back to him what to say to get the response he wants.....sometimes it is just too funny. I know he thinks he is being complementary but it just doesn't come out that way.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did 42 minutes of a Strong Body, Ageless Body DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Extreme Cardio DVD.

Rori - can't wait for you to get here. I'm thinking (assuming Mother Nature cooperates) that we'll grill. I have salmon burgers, veggie burgers (on the skinny rounds). I'll make another one of the spinach/feta pies. You HAVE to try this corn on the cob that I get from this one guy at the farmer's market. Is it ever sweet! For dessert I'm going to make this Hungry Girl brownie. For a brownie, low in calories. I'll check as the time gets closer to see how the cherries are. Is there anything special you'd like? Finally, to be able to have a meal with someone who doesn't comment "you never used to eat like this" and who'd appreciate healthy (low cal) foods. I'm pumped. For the pool social, it looks like we're going to go with having the guy do the cariacures (I probably spelled that wrong). More than I had expected to spend, but not outrageous. Plus, if it rains, this is something we can do in the house. I think it'll be a little bit "different". Great that you're getting the new phone

Joyce - I usually take a banana out of the freezer the night before, let it thaw in the refrigerator. How I wish we can renew our license by mail. We were able to do that when we lived in PA. Here in NC, believe it or not, they make you take an eye test before they give you your renewal. Yet, I've seen handicapped people driving and they need to have someone direct them into the parking space! And handicapped spaces are usually wider! Don't they make you put a new pic of yourself on the license? I know that every 10 years when I renew my passport you need to. I would think you'd at least have to update your photo every 10 years or so. I can't get over how much I've changed in 10 years since I last had my passport photo taken

Welcome everyone new! Any time is the best time to just jump right in

Alison - enjoy zuma. I tried it once, I'm so uncoordinated that I never went back. I'm wishing that they would have an aqua zumba class. But I doubt it'll happen, not here anyway. Update: so sorry about the instructor not being there. I'm surprised they didn't have a sub. I remember when I was teaching, if I wasn't going to be there, I needed to get a sub. That hydromassage sounds heavenly. So happy for you that the countertops turned out so well. Bummer about the sink

Lisa - WOW is all I can say, what a great job you did. I remember when taking that serve save course one of the things they mentioned was how you couldn't put anything on the floor.

DJ - one time we went to a restaurant and I ordered a sweet potato without the butter or the cinnamon or sugar (it's called a SWEET potato for a reason!). I swear, they didn't know how to cook it without the butter, etc. It was so horrible that I actually sent it back.

Lori and gaww... - congrats on the wonderful loss

Mary from MN - just don't fall while you're in LV! Enjoy yourself!

MNMaragaret - do you know that I don't even KNOW my passwork for e-mail. Knowing Vince who set it up, I'm sure it's super strong.

terri - (((HUGS)))) So sorry you had such a time at the fast food place. Your husband sounds about as pickey as mine!

Chris - I figured the instructor would let you switch. Good for you! I have to exercise first thing in the day, too. Have a great trip.

Sylvia - so sorry about that scratch

Meg - one time I went to a Sonic here to get a straw. I had no idea it was just a drive-in fast food place. Well, I see this UPS guy going in the building so I figured that was how you get in. come to find out you don't go in. Me bad. Well, I'd never been to one before so I had no clue at all. That's one place that I know is locked up.

Becca - that woman at the lap pool was so rght -- you ARE beautiful

Linda - if anyone saw me doing zumba, they'd probably burn a ton of calories laughing so hard!

At one time Bryan said to me "ma, I know your heart is in the right place, your words sometimes aren't". Wish he still knew that.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) Someone told me that counting on your husband to say the right words of support and encouragement is like going shopping at the hardware store expecting to buy underwear.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    23,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking
    an hour on the exercise bike
    two line dance classes

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

:) I admire all of you who are so articulate at responding to each other....this is a great community

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington where it is not quite as hot as NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip and Michele - I am going to take the elevator not the stairs!

Mary from Minnesota
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Mary from Minnesota

Mary from Minnesota

Mary where r u in mn? I'm Minneapolis but born n raised St. Paul. Gayle Minneapolis
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options

Mary from Minnesota

lololol..... we don't want to hear about a repeat of my situation!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gayle MN - I was raised in s. Mpls. Graduated 75 from Rosevelt. Now I live in Walker by Leech Lake.

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

DrKatie, I’m sure all of us would still be talking about “peeling pees” if our little one had said that. Too Cute! Isn’t it interesting the little things we remember from when our children were growing up.

Lori, wow wee! Congrats on that loss. Doesn’t it feel great to be a big looser!!! Keep up the good work and enjoy that trip. Is it July 9 or Aug 9?

Colleen, Barbie will post the location of the new thread tomorrow evening. She will provide a link to it and all we have to do when we get there is bookmark it as a favorite.

Carol, you don’t have to worry, cause you know we read typos just fine. Ants can be such a pest. Good luck.

Mary, I’m so excited for you on your trip to Vegas. It is just such a fun place to visit. Have a ball.

Pip, glad the dizzies are gone. I never did get the exact story on where and how you fell??? If you remember it, how bout some details? smiley-char030.gif

Heather, thanks for the explanation on the Harry Bikers. LOL I was at Costco today and noticed Quinoa noodles that looked like Ziti. I’ve never noticed anything other than the actual Quinoa before.

G, OMG that is a lot of loss for a month. Congrats but don’t overdo, my friend. We all want it off immediately. How long have you been on this journey?? I do recall that my first three months, I was losing at a rapid pace.

MNMargaret, so sorry you are having hacker problems. What a pain in the pituti. Good luck and thanks for the reminder.

Cheri, I wanted to remind you of something:
    Slow weight loss is a good thing.
    Slow weight loss is a good thing
    Just in case you forgot.

Terri, I am just happy that DH wants to call our outings “dates”, be it a day date or a night date. I mean, we will be married 47 years on Aug 3rd. The way your DH acts about fast food places, I think you just need to go and do all the ordering and if he doesn’t like what you get him, he can fix his own supper. Geeezzzzz

Chris, way to go on that Buts and Guts workout. And way to go on your loss and upcoming trip. I know you will have a blast!!!

Linda, wow, those are some HIGH heels. Look great but not what I can wear for sure. I do know ya have to feel snazzy in them.

Sylvia, good that your van is ready, so I hope you can get the $$ to them. Bummer about the scratch on the rental. If worse comes to worse, your insurance will cover it. I can’t wait to hear what you cook in that cooker you just had to have. LOL

Meg, glad you found a new countertop. I haven’t had a single stain on mine and the thing I like is that it has a little sparkle in it. DH says I’m a little “gaudy” but I like it.

Terri, you have fun and dance your heart out. Careful with that pizza though.

Jane, that was a nice surprise. Sending healing thoughts for DS.

Janetr, please don’t get discouraged and down. You have done great and look fabulous. Rather than concentrate on how slow it’s going now and how much farther you want to go, just look at how far you’ve come. I mean, look in the mirror. Sometimes we don’t see us the way everyone else does, but trust me, you are doing great. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I feel ya on the sleep. Good luck.

Pat, yea on the hunger subsiding finally. There is still hope for other of us.

Sylvia, we tell people to start with “baby steps”. You don’t think 20 inches qualifies?? ROFL

Heather, Kudos on the small portion of cheese. Keep on visualizing.

Vicki, sorry you had an eating party attack last night. I’m glad you will have healthy food this weekend so you don’t add insult to injury. We can do this. Hang in there.

Terri, glad to hear you can take your RA meds. The bland foods are just for a few days aren’t they?

Congrats to all of you with victories this month and to all of you that are doing so well on this journey. I have not been good with my exercising this month but have done great with eating and happy with weight loss. It is so exciting to be wearing smaller clothes and being more active without pain. I just have to remember all the good things in my life because of this new lifestyle and stay committed to continuing on this path.

I hope each of you has a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    63zeht7ora4e.jpg
    Speaking of shoes....this is the pair I wore to the fancy wedding in May. I changed into flip flops when the dancing began. They were marked down to $8 and I couldn't pass them up.
    Chris in MA
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    So pea shelling went okay.... good thing Grandma shells really fast - because otherwise she would have ate them all. What you don't see is the black lab lurking, waiting for the shells!!

qn2q6tryimkn.jpg