WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DJ - thank you so much. I think I'm beginning to realize what I see in my minds eye and what the mirror/pictures show me, aren't the same. Thank you for telling me to hang in there. I will do just that. Also, I'm probably a bit obsessive/compulsive about my house. I use that room for doing my nails, sewing and crafts so it always a bit messy looking to me.

Glad you slept better last night.

Janetr OKC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~Had a problem with the air con last night,so used fans,glad it cooled down last night.All fixed today as it`s gonna be 90.Violet is over today and it`s game day as it`s too hot outside.I sleep over at house tomorrow and watch her sun.In gramma heaven.
    Been picked tomatoes and purple peppers,no cukes yet,but so happy to have a garden this year.
    Hugs to all
    jane (from IL)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Being lazy. haven't walked.

Cso - gorgeous afghan!

DJanet - Larry got his head shaved for St. Baldrick's a few years ago and has been shaving Iit himself ever since. I dont have the artistic sense or the coordination to try cutting my own hair. <tipping hat>

Michele -rather than cutting the tablecloth, what about taping it to size?

Lillian - cheering for your good day.

Gayle - good luck on the challenges!

Joyce - keeping fingers crossed for fast remicade action, even tho it usually isn't.

Partway through 73. tried reading on one phone, writing on the other. lost the reading page.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [

Carol-Peach[/quote]

Carol I have mixed Borax yes the laundry kind and mixed it with powdered sugar and place in small lids. If you have pets this won't work, but I found it effective and less toxic than Tero or raid. Cream of Tartar along your baseboards or where you see trails also might work. I agree with Heather traps work great too.
    Back to changing password and informing those in the need to know. I might have to change my fitness pal sign in too. That is what I am going to work on now while I am thinking about it.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Lillian, that is a precious little pea sheller you have there. Enjoy every minute with her.

Janet, I love the crazy pants. I bought myself a pair the other day. Mine are black and taupe and coral. I love them and have gotten many compliments when I wear them.

My DH, bless his heart, has decided that he wants us to have a formal studio portrait made for our 40th wedding anniversary. I would sure love to lose 50 lbs before we have this done. Do you think it's doable in two weeks with my current rate of a pound a month? Have mercy on the man!
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I’m feeling a little down today. I stepped on the scale this morning and it went up another half a pound. I weigh myself almost every morning and I’m used to the scale bouncing around. But I was really shooting for about a 1.5 loss this week and instead I’ve got a 0.5 gain instead so far. And I’ve been good on both my eating and exercise this week. Now I’ve got two more days before I do my official monthly weigh in (on Aug 2nd because for some reason I didn’t weigh myself on June 1st or July 1st) and I’m not where I wanted to be for the month of July either. OK, I guess that is enough of my pity party. Thanks for letting me vent.

Caught up again but read many of the posts on my phone and didn’t take notes on everything, so…

For all of you who have lost weight in July, way to go ladies!

For those of you travelling, have fun!

For those of you who are ill or injured (or have family ill or injured), I’m saying a prayer for your quick recovery.

We’ve had the story of the dentist killing the lion on our news here as well. I don’t hunt and am not a big fan of guns, but I’ve had mixed feeling on this one. In general, I’m OK with those who hunt for food or to help with overpopulation. I’m not a fan of those who hunt big game for sport but I think this dentist is being tried by the public without all the details (as happens all too often). And now there are stories circulating on Facebook that people should boycott Jimmy Johns because the owner is another who enjoys hunting big game for sport.

Becca (@annr) – Your attitude is truly inspirational. I too am doing it for myself this time and I am bound and determined that this time the weight will not come back. I’m not looking for the miracle quick weight loss but I’m working to make a lifestyle change. I think I need to print off a couple of your posts and carry them around with me for inspiration.

Chris (@mikesmom1983) – LOVE the silver heels! I probably would have taken them off for dancing too.

Lillian (@lilymay2) – Your granddaughter is adorable!

Janet (@janetr7476) – You look fabulous in your new wild pants, and I like the pink jacket.

Joyce (@jmkmomm) – “He knows I have lost weight... But he also knows I will go back to my bad habits.” Charlie sounds just like my hubby. Just remember, we are not doing this for them. We are doing it for ourselves! Remember, tomorrow is August and that starts a clean slate.

Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    Options
    drkatiebug - thanks, makes me feel better. I don't want every one to think I'm an old lady trying to be young lol You sound like me with wanting to lose 50 lbs in two weeks, but unfortunately, don't think that will happen. Hubby loves you just as much now as 50 lbs less :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Changing e-mail address was the easiest yet. Great there is no need to set up a new account. With all the members here it would probably take me an hour to come up with a new user name. LOL Just needed to go to settings. Says it will take 72 hours to make the change. I asked DH how long we will have old e-mail. It takes awhile to make the switch unfortunately and fortunately because it is taking me awhile to realize all the places and people I need to inform. In the long run it will be better DH sometimes complains about all the e-mails and wants me to unsubscribe to as many as possible. This way I have my own account and can really think about who I want to have access. i.e. no more Kohl's for me. They send and email a day no thank you.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sorry ,Joyce......mixed you up with Sylvia.......need a good slap !
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    I just called the doc to give me some pain meds aka horse pills
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I’m feeling a little down today. I stepped on the scale this morning and it went up another half a pound. I weigh myself almost every morning and I’m used to the scale bouncing around. But I was really shooting for about a 1.5 loss this week and instead I’ve got a 0.5 gain instead so far. And I’ve been good on both my eating and exercise this week. Now I’ve got two more days before I do my official monthly weigh in (on Aug 2nd because for some reason I didn’t weigh myself on June 1st or July 1st) and I’m not where I wanted to be for the month of July either. OK, I guess that is enough of my pity party. Thanks for letting me vent.

Caught up again but read many of the posts on my phone and didn’t take notes on everything, so…

For all of you who have lost weight in July, way to go ladies!

For those of you travelling, have fun!

For those of you who are ill or injured (or have family ill or injured), I’m saying a prayer for your quick recovery.

We’ve had the story of the dentist killing the lion on our news here as well. I don’t hunt and am not a big fan of guns, but I’ve had mixed feeling on this one. In general, I’m OK with those who hunt for food or to help with overpopulation. I’m not a fan of those who hunt big game for sport but I think this dentist is being tried by the public without all the details (as happens all too often). And now there are stories circulating on Facebook that people should boycott Jimmy Johns because the owner is another who enjoys hunting big game for sport.

Becca (@annr) – Your attitude is truly inspirational. I too am doing it for myself this time and I am bound and determined that this time the weight will not come back. I’m not looking for the miracle quick weight loss but I’m working to make a lifestyle change. I think I need to print off a couple of your posts and carry them around with me for inspiration.

Chris (@mikesmom1983) – LOVE the silver heels! I probably would have taken them off for dancing too.

Lillian (@lilymay2) – Your granddaughter is adorable!

Janet (@janetr7476) – You look fabulous in your new wild pants, and I like the pink jacket.

Joyce (@jmkmomm) – “He knows I have lost weight... But he also knows I will go back to my bad habits.” Charlie sounds just like my hubby. Just remember, we are not doing this for them. We are doing it for ourselves! Remember, tomorrow is August and that starts a clean slate.

Linda/IA

He has killed a protected black bear and fish. Guess he doesn't think laws pertain to him. Gayle Minneapolis
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Drkatiebug- Go for it! Such a sweet thought from your DH. <3 Flattering clothing goes a long way. He must love you lots.

I just had zucchini noodles for the first time. I haven't got a spiralizer so I cut them with my julienne peeler. Bit watery, but delicious as the bolognese sauce was very strong. 350 cals with extra broccoli as I grated a bit of parmesan over it. I now have four more double servings to freeze. :bigsmile: My freezer is bursting at the seams though. :ohwell:

My friend has texted me so I am off to Portsmouth on the train on Sunday. I will be interested to see how her renovated flat is coming on. We will stroll along the long promenade and have lunch somewhere. I have half a mind to join her in Paris on the 23rd when she meets up with her son and family who currently live in Hong Kong. I don't want to crash the party, but there may be a few minutes to do something together. Haven't seen her son since he was a toddler, apart from photos. Gorgeous granddaughter. :love: I can fly from our very local airport. Will discuss possibilities with her, but DH's old uni friend was talking about coming around then. Wish he'd firm up arrangements. :grumble:
    I used to go on holiday with this friend when I was single so she did feel a bit left in the lurch when I met DH. Very glad she's got over it! I've known her since I was 11. She is one of our group of four schoolfriends who get together twice a year. Feel very close to her. <3

Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Linda/IA - Thank you so much, I worry that I'm too old for wearing "wild" pants, but I'm going to :) I definitely understand your frustration, I'm in the same boat. Am exercising more ofter and harder than I ever have in my life and staying within my calories and keeping protein high and carbs low and just am not seeing an change in the scale. I've decided to quit "obsessing" about the number and concentrate on how I feel physically and emotionally. I know that's not easy, but I'm trying. Hang in there, it will happen.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! We are at the airport waiting for our plane to load. My DH upgraded us to first class so should be a great experience.

Joyce - I do the exercise so I can eat a little more like i want to. Together eating right and exercise is much better but I have a hard time changing my eating habits 100% of the time.

Sharon- it sounds like you have been very busy and having a great time with your GK's.

Allison - good for you standing up for yourself!

Heather - I agree, men really need compliments and encouragement just as much if not more than women. They don't get compliments from other men like we get from both sexes. My DH gets the biggest smile on his face when I tell him how sexy he looks...

Sylvia- yea! You are so lucky to have that lady help you!

Janetr- my DH was raised that way too. He couldn't even play cards. Line dancing is great fun. And David did it Naked!

Pip - or caught on one of the millions of cameras they've got!

DJ - have a good ride. Hopefully your shoulder is on the mend!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I just called the doc to give me some pain meds aka horse pills

Good, I hope that gives you enough relief to give it time to heal.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    DJ – I will be forced to continue in my knowledge that my DH is “brain damaged”. Yesterday he texted me “KFC”. I responded 1 piece of grilled chicken and a small cole slaw, and I put it immediately into my MFP phone app. He then texted me ½ hour later, “30 minute wait for grilled chicken, so not getting you anything”. He brought home pot pies for DS and himself, plus a 16 piece original recipe chicken bucket. I just can’t fix stupid! // The bland, low fiber food for the colonoscopy is only for a few days, so I will survive. And if all goes well, I won’t have to do it again for 10 more years.

Janetr – WOW ! ! ! I also thought pole dancing at the beginning. I understand it is wonderful exercise for cardiovascular and muscle building. Hubba-Hubba

Joyce – I do like the peacefulness in the morning, and the fact that I can take my time getting everything ready for the day. But, believe it or not, the Fitness Center starts getting busy around 5:00am, and doesn’t really get empty until around 10:00am, then picks up again during lunch, then again after the 7:00am - 3:00pm shift gets done, then again when the 9:00am - 5:00pm shift gets done. It’s even busy on Sunday’s, especially when the Packers have a day game. // You Can Do This ! ! ! And you look marvelous, and will continue to look better and better with all your hard work. I will happily step in to be your “husband/cheerleader”.

Allison – Wow! You go girl ! ! ! The last time my DH accused me of doing nothing I went “on strike” and started doing nothing, and he saw how wrong he was in the first place (but never an apology). Sometimes it takes a whack upside the head with a 2x4 to get through to those men. Hugs and Cheers for you ! ! !

Peach – how big or little are these ants? Grease or piss ants are pretty tiny, but carpenter ants are big, and almost impossible to get rid of completely on your own. The first thing we did was walk around the outside of the house and cut down any branches that were hanging over the roof, because that is another common way for ants to get inside. I also apply ant poison to the trunk of every tree.

Cory – Happy Dancing with you for avoiding the donut. Yay ! ! !

Heather – Sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned with your friend. I love getting together with people I hadn’t seen in ages. It’s such a great feeling when the conversation flows, and renews. Enjoy !

Linda – Don’t Give Up ! You can do this. We will keep doing it together.

Mary (fancy) – Hooray for DH and an upgrade to First Class. Starting the trip on the right foot for a Second Honeymoon. Envious.

On the Dentist vs Lion subject. My DH still listens to Minneapolis-area radio shows, and claims there is some extortion going on as well. He claims that yes, The Dentist paid the tour guides to take him to the location to shoot a lion for sport. Then after he succeeded, the guides told him that he shot a protected lion with a GPS tracking device, and they then told him that if he didn’t give them an additional $100,000 they would turn him in to the Authorities. He refused, so they turned him in and plastered it all over Facebook. So, there is a whole lot of wrong going on regarding this story. Everyone is likely going to see prison time, which means no one wins regardless of the truth (which we likely will never know the whole truth). The entire situation is sad beyond words.

The Shoe Conversation : I wore heels (usually 3” or less) for all the years that I was a hairdresser. When DH and I got married in Las Vegas in 2000, I was already 3+ months pregnant, and since it was my 4th pregnancy, there was no knowing how big I would be by the time of the wedding. So, I glued “bling” to a pair of plain white tennis shoes, and bought my dress in a small store 3 days before the wedding. Personally, I think I looked amazing that day; tea-length deep purple dress with off-white slip showing at neckline and below the dress, fancy tennis shoes, and a big bling bow in the back of my hair. I now own several pairs of fancy flats for when I need to be dressy. If I can get away with wearing my work-out shoes, I will.

Someone asked about Socializing with my Dad. My Mom had been sick and injured for MANY years before she passed almost 4 years ago. My Dad was her Primary CareTaker, and I was her Secondary. We wouldn’t trade it for the world, but since my Dad is able to have a social life again, he really whoops it up as much as he can. My DH prefers the hard 80’s music, but I have always preferred 40’s through light 70’s, Country, Spiritual, Classical, and Jazz. DH started his Mid-life crisis about 3 years ago, and just doesn’t want to do anything besides what interests him personally, so I do things with my Dad that we both enjoy. Sometimes my Dad takes young-teens with him, if one of his co-workers or friends has a child or grandchild that doesn’t get the “artistic exposure” that he thinks they deserve. He truly enjoys watching young people at their first experience at a ballet, or symphony, or musical, etc. Plus, this gives my DH the opportunity to watch his concerts or ballgames on TV without me whining about being bored and wanting to go somewhere or do something. Yes, it’s selfish of DH to not be willing to try things that I enjoy, but like I said earlier in this post, I can’t fix stupid. All I can do is keep hoping that eventually he will be bored with staying home alone, and envious that I am out having fun, and he might finally want to join me/us. In the meantime, I will continue to take care of myself, and enjoy my life to the best of my ability (and income).

Since tomorrow is Aug 1, and only 2 of us work, we did our contest weigh-in today. One gal lost 12 pounds. I lost 3. The other 2 gained. So, we all got our money back. I then asked our Fitness guy to do my measurements and body fat thing (electrodes on certain parts of the body). He also wants to write me a new work-out program, but that makes me nervous, since I don’t want to burn-out my joints any faster than necessary. (Since I needed to buy new underwear, I’m sure I lost more fat than the scale is showing, but I want it more visible.) I’m going to take home an old poster board, and make myself a huge chart with weight, measurements, and body fat %. That will be my new motivator (except, of course, the desire to be healthy and happy and sexy).

Ok, only 90 minutes left of work, then run some errands before heading to pizza and music with my Dad. DS is home doing the chores he avoided all week, and DH is golfing (and hopefully not drinking too much, because if I have to go get him it will put us about 2 hours behind schedule). And yes, I will take it easy on the pizza and appetizers. I will log before I eat, and only have water with lemon to drink.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (no news today on the MkeLion, but I heard rumor that he has his own twitter account)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well it is Friday and I am doing by happy dance. I am working 7-3 and then I am off until Tuesday. I do have a lady coming in to job shadow me for several hours today. We are going camping this evening with DS and family. Will be back Sunday afternoon. So will be out of touch till then.

Becca--Thanks for sharing the wise words. We have to do this for ourselves. Everyone has to find their happiness in themselves. Depending on others is not healthy or lasting.

Lily--What a cutie. I know spending time with the grandchildren is such a speical time. Last evening we stopped over at DS's to drop off the wtermelon for the weekend and DGD was telling me all the plans she has for us for the weekend. Going to keep me on my toes.

janetr--love the pants. You look great in them! Do wounder about the pole in the room. Something you can share. LOL

Allison--Proud of you for standing up for yourself and doing things for you.

Sharon--Sending HUGS for your friend. That is happening a lot these days. Before it met something if you were a hard workers and been there a long time. Not anymore.

Well the job shadow went well. Not sure what the boss is thinking as not she has another next week so be a while till this one will know. Just makes me mad, do it already so we can get someone trainned. I am off in about 20 minutes so hope you all have a great weekend and I will be back on Monday.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! The last coat of varnish got laid down on the wood floor this morning so I took advantage of DD#2 being home to watch the dog to go grocery shopping. On the way I decided to indulge in my favorite breakfast at McDonalds. I was sitting there reading my paper and went to drink my coffee. The lid came off and the hot coffee poured down my chest and mostly seemed to pool in my bra, leaving me with a blistered burn. GAAAAAA so I reported it to the manager and decided to just do the shopping since DD had to go to work and I had limited time. I did get a free coffee and both the manager and I ensured the lid was on tightly but it came off later very easily which makes me wonder if the lids are defective. So anyway by the time I got home the blister had deflated and other than being red and painful (somewhat) it looks ok, so I will forgo the medical attention. Sheesh!!!

Teri: (((hugs))) and smiles

Jane: sending healing thoughts to your son

Janetr: just say they were practice marriages! Now you are perfect at it!

Ann: I noticed that at the Y too. The old ladies who are fat and saggy walk around naked while the young fit women who actually look good naked cover up like they are scared to death someone will see something. It’s really too bad they seem so ashamed of their bodies. They also make a HUGE production of covering up to dress, some of them even put on loose “muumuu” type dresses and undress/dress underneath them!

Alison: that’s certainly annoying about the sink! You deserve better on the home front. Just sayin’

Mary: I’m just glad they called me before they cut the countertops out of the slab. Now that would have been bad!

Patceoh: I too struggle with always being hungry!

Margaret: I too was appalled at that dentist’s actions

Sylvia (and Terri) I don’t go to sonic either because of the low wages. DD#2 used to work there too, making just over 2$ an hour and being promised tips. However, no one tips at a fast food place that I know of!

Heather: I love your cheese exercise!

Vicki: so how come the manager doesn’t fire this person?

Katla: I see on the weather channel that you are indeed in a weather inferno! Stay cool

Michele: I don’t think any of the sonics here are locked up, at least I don’t know of any, they all seem to have dining rooms in addition to the drive through

DJ I looked at a sample that was light grey with lots of glass chips in it so the overall look was glittery. I really liked it, but something held me back. My best friend finally said she thought I’d get tired of it. I think she’s right. I went with a soft pearly grey

Lily: darling picture!

Chris: love, love, love the shoes. I would so wear them!

Janetr: wowser!!! You look great!

Kim; yup…FMP! :O I have several pairs! Hang in there and those pounds will be gone soon

Sharon: minutes! LOL I guess I can say it’s a medical thing with ‘ meaning seconds. I timed myself. I 20 inch
    walk took 1 ½ second LOL

Well I know I didn’t respond to all of you but it’s time to get up and get some exercise. I keep thinking it’s Saturday so I keep panicking about getting ready to go out for dinner for DH;s birthday Sunday. 

Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is hot and humid again!