WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather in UK I would love to read what you write about being a kid with depression. I had early onset Bipolar depression and spent most of my childhood in severe depression (it was aggravated by the neglect from my mom who had bipolar illness too).
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning - quick check in - taking my mom to a dr appointment in the city....

have a good day everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • thistimekc
    thistimekc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Janet in NO – Just a reminder because I’m sure you already know this… water resistant is not the same as waterproof. You are correct that getting caught in the rain with water resistant should be fine. Showering or swimming not so much.

Carol/Peach – I grew up in a household where the communication style was indirect. For example Mom would say to Dad “Are you going down to the basement anytime soon?” Translation: I need you to take something downstairs or I need you to bring something upstairs. Mike grew up being very direct and literal. I am much better about being direct with what I want to say but I still will often have to stop myself and say “Sorry, what I meant to say was…”

I am still working with him on the concept that tone of voice is as important as the words used. When he gets passionate about something he sounds angry when he is simply excited. His boss is the same way so I often hear him talking to his boss in a manner that makes me cringe and think he’s going to get himself fired. No. They understand each other and all is well but if he talks to me like that I get defensive. He’s getting better at moderating his tone with me. My Dad used to say “It’s not the words, it’s the music.” It helps both of us to remember that.

After almost 28 years of marriage our communication continues to improve. I hope we make it to 45 years to see how we are doing by then.

I talked last night with my friend who is going through a bad divorce. She is having panic attacks and asked me for advice on how to handle them. I have never experienced panic attacks so I’m not sure what advice to give. Does anyone here have experience with panic attacks and have ideas on how to deal with them? Especially how to deal at times when you are alone and it is entirely the wrong time to call up a friend?

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

Things I've done to stop a panic attack. Pick up and "hide" inside a good book I've loved. Breathing slowly for 10 breaths. Put your thumb and pointer finger lightly over your nose. Close off your one nostril with your thumb Breathe in slowly. Breathe out through the other nostril by closing off the other nostri with your pointer finger.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which as 'anxiety-separation attacks' the most - DGD or the 'dog' of the house that about has a fit each time she sees her. I doubt her Daddy would allow her to take the 'dog' with her back to school. LOL! Luna (dog) follows her everywhere around the property and the other night sat at the door for 3+ hours and whined some of the time as if to say, 'when are you coming out'? She gets 'so excited' when Taylor makes her appearance - whether it is several weeks away from home, or after she has sat outside and waited for her to come out. Each time, she runs around and around, barking, and then putting her front paws on her shoulders, she is almost as tall as DGD (5'-nothing). She runs and gets in her car the moment the door is open and sits shotgun. She has her using her 'inside' voice, too - no barking at things and no begging.

DOS = Dear Oldest Son
    DYS = Dear Youngest Son

I know how you feel about being Bipolar, although only once or twice have I busted through the 'ice' to get on the side of depression - don't ever want to go there again. It's too hard to 'stay on the fence'. Too many splinters to do so, and not fall off in that direction. I prefer to be a little more to the manic side, than to the depression side.

Last night my nose started dripping, although on Monday I had been put on an antibiotic for an UTI. This morning I go between runny nose and sneezing non-stop; but, if it is pretty today, I am still getting in the pool for my exercise. So far, it is cloudy. Hope the DOS and family are enjoying beach and hope they have good weather.

Well TTFN - I am going to go read a book!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: Congratulations on your successful cooking camps. :flowerforyou: I hear you about the Independence Day war zone. Our dog will be spending the next two nights at the “Veterinary Hotel.” Our next door neighbor’s dogs will be there, too. The fireworks go off right in front of our house and it is loud here. Then there are the people who love to set off firecrackers all day long. This isn’t a good place for dogs on July 4. :noway:

Joyce: I wonder whether your DH is thinking of herring. It sounds rather like heron. I see that others have the same idea. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I am finding this time of my life to be exceptionally happy, too, despite stresses and health worries about DH. It is quite a surprise and unexpected blessing. I attribute part of this to a combination of luck and health, and part of this to a changed mindset. Setting a goal to have fun has been miraculous, as has the support I get right here with this group of women. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I’m looking forward to yoga today. This afternoon we’ll take the dog to the vet’s and I’m not especially fond of that chore. It will be better for him to be away from the fireworks tomorrow. We’ll pick him up Sunday morning. We often hopped in our boat with our previous dog and went away to a quiet anchorage for the Fourth. We haven’t done it in the past few years. It may be worth considering for next year if DH’s health continues to improve.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy fri,will be a busy 2 days,seeing my GD at son`s house and tomorrow family get together with 40+people.
    Have a great holiday .
    hugs jane
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I have to admit that I was stalking you in June... reading some of your posts and awed at the love and support you have for each other. I don't know how you keep up with all the posts though. I'm going to give it a shot here in July but I'm already way behind.

I've been tracking my food since early May and have lost 10 lbs. to date although June was not as successful as May due to lots of travel. My goal is to lose 50 lbs. and to maintain that weight loss. I've been using my Wii for exercise. My favorite is a cardio boxing game.

July goals:
    • Make better food choices.
    • Exercise 5 times per week.
    • Walk at least 7500 steps per day.
    • Drink at least 6 glasses of water per day.

Linda/Iowa
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note via cell phone to say happy weekend, everybody! I'm heading out for river time - no Internet or cell signal.

Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Waiting for the swimsuit place to open. C if I can find a smaller 2 piece. I have a large now. I'm afraid it will loosen up with the water and sag
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm almost on my way to the family reunion...have a wonderful weekend and 4th of July for the American bunch. Talk to y'all next week.
    Carey-Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey you all!
    4th July was the date of my first wedding when I was 20. I always joked I got married on Independence Day! :laugh:
    My DS#2 also got married on July 4th! He did ask me first if I was happy with that. :love:

We've repotted the poor mint. Amazing how attached you can get to a plant! I watered the veg patch, tied up and picked the extremely prolific sweet peas which are smelling fabulous and swept the patio after asking DH to do it for weeks. :grumble: He picked our amazing blackcurrants which are exceeding our ability to get them picked, bagged and frozen. :bigsmile: The next door neighbour came round to collect her Sweaty Betty parcel that the postman dropped off on us and waxed lyrical about my rocket (arugula) I do have a veritable forest and we eat it every day on an open sandwich. She says she juices it, but hers was too flea bitten this year.

Miriam - I am hoping to self publish this memoir so it will eventually be available on Amazon and Kindle like my novel WINDOWS. (Thank you so much to those of you who have read and reviewed it - it means such a lot to me. <3<3 ) I do have the SMALL problem of talking to my grown up sons first, (!) who have no idea about the content of the memoir. I also ought to check that my younger brother is happy with the revelations. At the moment I only have a pile of scribbled pages so I have a lot of editing and rewriting to do. I want people to understand how vividly a child feels and understands what is happening to them.

Katla - so glad your dogs have a safe haven. It used to be like WW2 around us in London on 5th November. Our only annoyance in the near future is a mini festival a man holds in the village every year at the end of July. From here we can only hear the thump of the bass. Last year we went away for the weekend. Haven't decided yet what to do this time. :ohwell:

Looking forward to my linguini and clams tonight - a rare treat. Wine with it, so NO CHEESE tonight! :laugh:

Lots of love to all, Heather Eyles (for those who want to buy WINDOWS) in the very warm UK.
    27681614.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps -

got my last gym workout in-

my 2piece is a large so i was going to go by the swimsuit shop 2 c if a medium would fit better, don't want it sagging after it gets wet.

the swimsuit shop opens at 10. oops. sitting in the care for nothing. oh well, figured i would jet home, put the dishes away, put a load of laundry in, change the sheets then go back. found a car sitting in my driveway, thought it was somebody picking up the kids but it wasn't. You see the dishwasher we bought was delivered on tuesday and kirby said that a guy was going to install it and fix the floor while we were gone. well that car had a couple of guys (i never met/talked to them b4) and they just got there to put in the dishwasher and fix the floor. good thing i came home huh! kirby guess forgot to tell me about it or got his times messed up
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Becca – Those strawberries look luscious. Hmmm… I’ll be in Seattle at the end of July. I wonder what yummy fruits will be in season there.

“To not mix your foods, but to eat them individually, so you know the foods that agree with you and the ones that don't.” I laughed when I read this sentence. When I was a child I never wanted my food to touch and I would eat one thing at a time. Drove my dad nuts. He would shout “It all goes to the same place” and “You’re supposed to eat it, not make love to it.” He apparently didn’t realize I was ahead of my time and was learning which foods agreed with me.

Mary from Minnesota – How wonderful that you have the cabin to stay in while you get the main house painted and cleaned to your satisfaction. Enjoy your new home.

Linda in Calif – I love being able to “shop” in my own closet for those items that haven’t been worn due to being too small and now they fit. Today I’m wearing pants and a top that haven’t seen the light of day in years. I was just complimented on my cute “new” outfit.

Heather UK – The top in my after photo has been sent to the donation bin. I am sad because I love that top and have not been able to find another one like it. At the same time I am happy because I have shrunk out of that size.

Whenever I see mention of “your” cheese safe I am reminded that I used to eat cheese every day when I lived in England. For some reason I don’t find the cheese here in the US as yummy as European cheeses. Every now and then I will go to the expensive cheese shop to get an imported cheese. Thank goodness it is out of the way for me so I don’t go very often. I haven’t had a good huntsman cheese since the last time I was in England way too long ago.

The other thing I miss are crusty rolls. Just cannot get the same kind here as in Europe.

Poor mint. I don’t think I have ever had a plant literally break its pot.

----

Thanks for all the compliments on my pictures. It was really good for me to share them. I have been getting a bit discouraged because my weight loss has slowed down and when I look in the mirror I don’t see the changes. Seeing those pics side by side reminded me that I have indeed come a long way. They also helped me to realize that it I have managed this much already, I can lose however much more I need to be the weight/size that makes me feel the best.

Mia in MI

July goal:

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing, that's why we recommend it daily. --- Zig Ziglar

I saw the above quote at the gym the other day and thought I would share it with this group. May you all find your motivation today.

Mia in MI

July goal:

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day - easy workout
    other- NuStep machine, 40min, 89aw, 116steps per min, 8-10level, 3rd profile, 2.55mi = 220c
    rowing machine - 15min, 40aw, 2201meters or 1.37miles = 81c
    total 301 cal.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Morning to all you beautiful ladies!
    Was reading this article from an old Reader's Digest about a Greek island where the people live into their late 90's. They nap, sleep in, eat from their gardens, drink homemade wine w/friends in the evenings and drink lots of tea made from plants (the plants have lots of antiinflammatory qualities!!) [b]So DRKATIEBUG - your yucky tea is probably helping you live longer![/b]!! plus walk the hills everyday and no stress.
    Tried on some size 12 pants in the closet - yea!! dance dance
    Today through the weekend going to look for at least thirty things to put away, pass on or toss each day. Wish me luck!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    We've repotted the poor mint. Amazing how attached you can get to a plant! I watered the veg patch, tied up and picked the extremely prolific sweet peas which are smelling fabulous and swept the patio after asking DH to do it for weeks. :grumble: He picked our amazing blackcurrants which are exceeding our ability to get them picked, bagged and frozen. :bigsmile: The next door neighbour came round to collect her Sweaty Betty parcel that the postman dropped off on us and waxed lyrical about my rocket (arugula) I do have a veritable forest and we eat it every day on an open sandwich. She says she juices it, but hers was too flea bitten this year.

Oh Heather, now you're making me jealous. For several years I tried my utmost to grow sweet peas here in northern Norway. One year the strongest plant managed to put out a single white (!) blossom in late August, but before it opened up the neighbor's sheep came and decapitated it. (Mutton stew, anyone?)

My arugula has only just sprouted and the blackcurrants are still in blossom. I have high hopes for the currants, but all my various salad greens will probably just go to rack and ruin. Next week I leave for a month in New Hampshire and I won't be here to water them or talk to them, much less eat them.

Mia, agree with you on the cheeses. My former homeland Sweden has some cheeses to kill for. I often import a couple hunks of my favorites to my current homeland Norway when I've been visiting my children and grandchildren (who still live in Sweden). On the other hand, sometimes I'm stalwart and sensible and do no such thing, because what do I want cheese for if I can't fit it into my calorie budget?

• pipcd34
    Options
    just so you know i will still be posting every day and try to write a bit of something here.

exermom - did you find me on Facebook? for anyone else that want's to be my friend, send friend request to: Izzy Goodell Schlotterback. beware, i have a vulgar mouth so if you see that on a post (not very often, unless someone pisses me off or something) don't be shocked.

gotta go strip the bed now
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Morning, all... s'posed to be a holiday for the DH, but he ended up transporting vehicles from the nearest airport (4 hours away) back to the ranch, dropped off by the last guests. So, I went and dropped him off at the bosses house in town and since I was there anyway, picked up my race packet for tomorrow's 5K (a little scary, but doing it anyway... smiley-scared008.gif) and then went to a few garage sales.

I haven't wanted to spend the gas to go since I got laid off, so it's been a while. Picked up probably $150-$200 worth of beads and yarn for $20, which made me happy. Been wanting to try beading--don't know if I'll have the patience for it. With the yarn came a dozen skeins, all colors, of cotton thread for filet crochet, as well, red, white and green. Got curtains for the spare bedroom for $10, five pairs of jeans at a dollar apiece, two of which will fit me someday, the rest of which I'll harvest for the pockets. Also got a steam mop for $5 for hard floors--and since the house is stone tile except for the bedrooms, it will be nice to get it really clean. If it works - it's always a risk! Love garage sales, and haven't had a chance to indulge for a couple months, so had fun. Everything that will wash is in the washer... first things first. :) There were about a dozen doilies already made--in colors I would never choose, but oh well. I can probably sell them at the craft show for enough to cover the whole cost, so life is good.

Speaking of which--I have to agree that I also feel I'm in the best years of my life right now. My growing up years were rough... If you've read This Little Pig, my mystery novel, Jenny's experiences are a combination of mine and my sister's experience with our tormentor. Or, as my sis called him, "The Rural Terrorist." Once I got away from home, moved in with a man so much like my father that mother wouldn't let him in the house--threatened to shoot him if he set foot on her property, very much unlike her. Then married my ex-husband, who was safe, and allowed myself to be neglected for the next 27 years.

After I lost from 303 down to 137 pounds, and it changed absolutely nothing about my marriage, I finally gave up and left him. Met the love of my life literally days later, but we didn't start dating for six months, and married six months after that. It's been a glorious six years with him--and like DamitJanet, I try hard to savor every moment. He's nine years younger than me, thus the drive to get healthy and stay that way. I want every single iota of time that I can snag with him--and feel I paid enough dues to deserve it. smiley-happy105.gif. When people ask me how I'm doing, the stock answer is, "If I get any better, I'm going to have to sit on my hands to keep from waving at people."

Happy birthday to my country...cake.gif or, if you prefer, Happy 4th of July to "my fellow Americans..." as the late, unlamented Richard Nixon would have said.

Cheers! Lisa from overcast West Texas