WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Good job for day one!! I have a horrible time not getting on the scale, sometimes I want to jump on it several times daily. I retain fluid quite badly and can up or down three pounds in a day for no reason, then I'm down all day and so tempted to eat everything in sight. I play a game with myself about not getting on the scale every morning. I also "run" to the kitchen and get that first cup of coffee, cuz heaven forbid I weigh after I have put an additional ounce in my body. :)

Nice to know I'm not alone. I can completely relate! I actually drank a bunch of water and got my coffee going JUST so I wouldn't weigh myself - I'm cracking up because I'd never weigh under any conditions other than: completely naked, after using the bathroom, first thing in the morning, no food or drink yet. Hahaha - every little ounce counts.

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Heather UK – Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ll have a lot I can share with C when I get home tonight.

Sara from Arizona – I think it is a great idea to take your picture and measurements. I have a “before” picture that is 15 lbs. lower than my highest weight. I didn’t take my measurements. Now I wish I had. It would be nice to know just how much has been whittled away.
    stm712015 wrote: »
    Nice to know I'm not alone. I can completely relate! I actually drank a bunch of water and got my coffee going JUST so I wouldn't weigh myself - I'm cracking up because I'd never weigh under any conditions other than: completely naked, after using the bathroom, first thing in the morning, no food or drink yet. Hahaha - every little ounce counts.

Yup I sure can relate. Those are my conditions for getting my weekly weight. I hate weighing at the doctor’s office because I cannot get on the scale there as I would prefer.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! I spent acouple hours with my friend Lee yesterday. I am hoping she will do some grief classes that the funeral home has. I just told her to take it one step at a time. Planning to go to church with her on Sunday. Going to be a little cooler today and I hope not rain all day. We are having the two sons that live here and their family, plus DGD and her family over to cook out this evening. Looking forward to some family time. Then since I am off tomorrow one of the DGD's and I are going to have our nails done. She wants us to do teal so will see what they have.

janetr--far as I could tell it did track my steps in the water. Another thing I have found is when I ride the motorcycle if I do not hold my arm still it counts steps from the movements of the bike.

Jane--sending hugs and prayers for you and DM.

Welcome Sara & Cat & Katie, you have come to the right place. Glad to have you join us.

Penny--Glad your visit went well. Memories are what is important. Thanks for sharing the pictures, they are cute.

Joyce--I agree that husband and wifes need to be able to count on each other. And I am very Blessed with my DH. But it has taken a lot of years to get here.

Allison--Happy trails on your trip. Hope it is everything you are looking for. Be waiting to hear all about it when you get back.

Mary--Great news about getting to rent the house until closing.

Katla--Sorry to hear about your friend's DH. It is quite a change. I am doing what I can for my friend that lost her DH after 50 years.

Mai--I used to get bad panic attackes at night. I would drive to the airport or where there were people so I would not feel so a lone. I do not have them as often now and now I pray. I just tell God I can not do this and need help. It does work. Good Luck.

Katiebug--Please take care and hope they get you something to make the squeak go away.

Teri--Sending prayers and hugs for your coworker.

Christina--I use the nustep and I believe it does a good job. When I was taking PT this is what they started me on and just added to my time.

While I was at lunch today I called my friend and she is doing a lot better today and planning to go to work in the mornng. Thanks for all your prayers. Looking forward to a nice evening with the family and play time with the DGC. I got us all jump ropes so that will be fun.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stm712015 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Good job for day one!! I have a horrible time not getting on the scale, sometimes I want to jump on it several times daily. I retain fluid quite badly and can up or down three pounds in a day for no reason, then I'm down all day and so tempted to eat everything in sight. I play a game with myself about not getting on the scale every morning. I also "run" to the kitchen and get that first cup of coffee, cuz heaven forbid I weigh after I have put an additional ounce in my body. :)

Oh you definitely are not alone. I doubt there is one scenario you could come up with that some of us on here have not been there and done the same thing. The good thing with our group is we can all be honest and identify with one another and encourage each other. I used to joke and tell my husband when men weigh at the doc's office they leave their shoes on, change in their pockets, whatever. Women take off their shoes, all jewelry that might weigh more than an ounce and spit the gum out of their mouths. :)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Happy Canadian Day to all our friends to the north! Have a great day. smiley-eatdrink060.gif

Katla, I don’t understand??? Who wanted a junk food dinner? Not that we all wouldn’t love one sometimes. smiley-eatdrink002.gif What wonderful free entertainment to watch the otters playing.

Christina, it will be rare to find a life situation that at least someone on here hasn’t experienced. That is one thing that makes this thread so great….we never feel like we are alone in anything. Hang around, it only gets better.

Annr, purdy skirt yo hubby’s got!!!!! Nice legs too.

Sue, glad the move is over for you. Now it’s onward and upward.

Lilian, yes the smoke has made it to SC. Wild isn’t it? You and I are at almost the same place, weight wise. I just got down to 177 after staying in one spot for 3 weeks. Just for fun, wanna see who can lose more in July?? fence.gif I need something to get me more motivated to move, move, move my lazy *kitten*.

Tessarac, welcome. This is a great place for support and starting with modest goals is a good place to start. We are always allowed to exceed our goals. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. Also please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location (general or specific). Come often. This works.

Michele NC, I knew that many of us yo yoed, but didn't want to put it on everyone. Ya know, some could have just been fat most of their life? smiley-bounce005.gif Ya know it is so sad when children turn their backs on family. I have a dear friend with 3 boys that each have disowned their parents at some point after getting married. You just wonder what is going through their minds, when the parents have done nothing but love them and given to them their whole lifes. (((Hugs)))

Kathi, great job in June. Keep up the good work.

Renny
    , sorry the staycation is over. When you go back to work, pop in once in a while just to say HI, even if you can’t read all the posts.

Kate, your weather sounds delightful. I don’t care if it’s hot or cold as long as the humidity is low. I want to know what those high calorie beans taste like? I had to look them up because I didn’t know what they were. I guess if you mix them with things you won’t have to eat too many? If you have more positive energy than you need, feel free so send some my way.

Beth, I hope the diet works for your son. And yes, it should have lots of food that you can incorporate into your menu.

God5Grace4you
    , welcome. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you. Come often and join right in.

Gayle, good for you in using the meditation app.

Joyce, I do remember the plumbing problems but didn’t realize Charlie wouldn’t use that bathroom. *shakin’ head* These guys. DH always said I’d be in bad shape if I broke both arms at once and couldn’t wipe myself. I’m not too sure he was kidding. I sure hope the gastroenterologist will have something he can prescribe to help.

Sharon, your coffee outside to enjoy a little quiet time before work sounds like a great way to start the day. I hope the tests for DH go well and he can get the ileostomy reversed soon.

Kate, 8.5 lbs in a month is wonderful!!! Like you say, it’s a lifestyle change so steady as ya go.

Allison, you have a wonderful, restful, relaxing trip. Take your time plus some. Lol See how DH likes having to do for himself. Happy 4th to you.

Mary, is that Friday move in like tomorrow? How wonderful. At least you can start getting settled.

Heather, you have been doing a great job with writing lately. I think you can take one morning off. Even your brain needs a break. But how many times do I have to tell you to “Step Away From The Cheese”, Please!!! smiley-eatdrink051.gif

Tulipor, welcome to this great group of supportive women. I’m sure you can lose 10 lbs in a month if you eat right and exercise. You should be able to keep it off with all the walking you’ll do at Disney if you watch what you eat. It’s just more of a challenge when traveling. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you and sign each post with the name you want us to call you.

Peach, you and I have been married about the same time. It’s a good think we finally figured out our DH and them us. Lol That’s great that he joined MFP and you are on the same journey.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s been a lazy day. Read hear for a while, then did my exercising. By then it was time for lunch and a short nap. Neighbor’s teen or early 20’s? son and friends woke me at 2 am last night. They were out in the street having a pow wow. Uggggh Now I have finally caught up here and going to take out the soup I made yesterday and add a few thing to it and let it simmer a while. I can catch up on some recorded TV shows but won’t eat any cheese. (Humm, maybe some chips and dip?) Just kidding. If I need a snack I have some fruit with my name on it.

I hope you all make wise choices and have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sara from Arizona - I have a firm rule for myself about the scale. I weigh once a week, on Wednesday mornings before I eat or drink anything. And that's it. Doing it once a week keeps me from obsessing about normal fluctuations, and doing it mid-week gives me time to shed any water weight I might have put on if I didn't keep up with hydration over the weekend.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, thanks. I am so glad to be here with you and all the others too!

Margaret. I already take Vitamin D- but getting outside really helps! I use full spectrum lighting as well, and e><ercise when I can force myself to.

The stress has lifted quite a bit today. I heard that the girls' dad has been picked up by Oklahoma and is in jail there. He faces domestic abuse charges and will also now have to serve 10 years for a deferred sentence that was revoked for bad checks. He never paid the retribution(?)- never paid back the folks he stole from.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Mia, panic attacks are truly awful to go through, but a person CAN overcome them. Sometimes it is just a phase you go through and then they disappear even if you might still have other anxieties. Deep breathing for as long as it takes it to do the job, plus if the person is spiritual at all you can tell them that they really are not alone in the darkness, but there is a spirit who is on their side. If they HAVE to talk, see if there is some kind of 24/7 crisis line available.
    Miriam, be strong and let yourself have a mini-break from real life. Depression saps your energy and if you need meds to up your neurotransmitters it is not a sin. It shows you remember "normal" and will fight to get there IMHO. But we know it does not happen with a snap of the fingers, so try extra hard to be patient. It is hard when your brain is your own worst enemy! Hugs! And that exercise idea is great. So is a bit of chocolate.
    And a special hug to the fellow adult child relationship sufferers...
    Down one half pound this week...so slow a process but better than going up...
    Ten minutes till my weekend can start!!!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just finished rocking out at work to "It's Raining Men" on the radio. The inflammation has now taken all the big joints on my right hand, but my legs and feet are still good, so I can dance - and dance I did ! ! !

Plus DH is being stupid. He went to the grocery store that I want to shop at today, and admits that he did NOT buy the things on my list. What a moron. The men in my head that I was just dancing with aren't that stupid.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi. everyone, thunder all around but only one ten second downpour, hardly worth it. We could use a bit of rain. Temp not bad at mid-80's but humidity is awful.

Picked up some groceries for Goldy and a shower chair I found at local thrift store, then a few other errands she needed done. Traffic is a nightmare out there. In the house except for dog park later.

I slept sooooo well last night and l-o-n-g; sure made up for the night before. Makes a huge difference.

Well, looks like world cup women's soccer is U.S. and Japan........I was really hoping for England/US (very conflicted when England vs. Canada, so rooted for both till the end). Can't imagine how terrible that poor English player feels who accidently scored for Japan and gave them the win.

DJ...........Loved the Italian dog joke; good thing I wasn't drinking at the time.

Becca and Janetr........Those Christmas trees are just beautiful! How talented you both are!

Mary........(((Hugs))) I feel your frustration, and, believe me, you are doing so much better than I would.

Sylvia...........YAY for you sticking to your guns and getting that SUV!!!!!!!

Penny......Thanks for posting those great pictures, what cuties!

Heather.......Will try to find that program, thanks. Sorry for your heat; I truly wouldn't want to face it w/o ac, although we didn't have ac when I was little and I do remember those hot nights.

Katla......(((Hugs))) So sorry about the loss of friend's DH.

Lisa........I very much agree with the excerpt you shared; thanks for that. I know my focus on what is important has changed with age in a big way. Mainly with what I'm willing to tolerate from other people, those you call "emotional vampires", I call just "toxic". I cut ties with a few people who had been in my life for many years, one with a bad temper, one who delighted in others "getting theirs" (by this I mean more than a "what goes around comes around" attitude), one who had an absolute fit and went on for days and days if someone happened to call on Sat. am which was her 'quiet time" which the world was to blindly respect......I wasn't ever the person calling and she refused to take advice to simply turn the phone off those hours, she'd rather rant and rave. This one still contacts me now and again trying to reconnect but I've just had enough.

Mia........I had a period of a few months with panic attacks in my early 30's, also agoraphobia which lasted longer.
    With a panic attack the best I can describe it is.........you don't think you are going to die, you KNOW you are going to die. You heart rate kicks up way high and pounds, panic/absolute terror builds like a wave along with a vague feeling that you are about to do something terrible. Came from nowhere at a period of time when my DH was out of the country. I ended it by reading (knowledge IS power) every bit of info I could find at the library (this was early 80's), exercise, and with a script from my dr. for the drug Inderal for a couple months. Rarely, not much for years, I still can feel myself edging toward "that feeling" and I do breathing relaxation exercises to stop it. Best of luck to your friend, panic attacks are awful. This was my personal experience of about 30 yrs. ago.

poop..........Vegas....look out!!! Hope you have a ball......see great shows and win five million!!! On the horse, he was 28 and the decision to put him down was made by his owner, who has been riding much longer than I've been alive. I did ask DD and she said she agreed it was time. But he will be missed.
    I would never say never; believe me when I say I appreciate the way my life is going now and I'm grateful for what I do have. I realize that things can (and do) change in an instant and I could have ended up in a much different life given one different key decision anywhere along the way. Actually, I suppose we all could say that. Right now, I'm content with the decisions I made along the way and for whatever got me to where I am today. Truly, life is good overall.

JanetMMc.....Enjoyed your links again, find myself looking for AP things in my paper.......today our articles included:"Dolphin jumps onto boat, injuring California woman" and "Temperatures turn lizards female" but the little ones don't give names, just The Associated Press, so no credit???? Do you only get a byline if a certain number of words?

Welcome newbies....ach!!! can't believe I've gone on so long!!!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My two cents on panic attacks: I ended up in the ER a few times thinking I was having heart issues. Once they cleared my heart and diagnosed anxiety/panic attacks, it was a situation of mind over matter for me. When the physical symptoms began, I would acknowledge them and, until I got better at control, would literally lie in bed and repeat over and over, "I will NOT let this control me" until the symptoms abated. However, I'm not gonna deny that Xanax is my friend! My son deals with his in a similar manner. My daughter seeks out mommy until she is calmer.

Speaking of daughter...In hooking up my ice pack cooler thingy last night, she dumped about a 1/2 cup of ice water on me. On my crotch. She had to go sit down because she was laughing so hard. I didn't think it was quite so funny!!

I finally got my shower and hair washing done this morning. Katherine had class last night and the timing didn't work out. I even managed to run a razor over my legs! I feel so much better! I think I am through taking the morphine (I have 3 put back for emergencies), my neurontin is all gone, and I'm stretching to 6 hours between oxycodone doses. I also managed to get into a t-shirt after my shower--it's definitely a 2X model, but much more comfy than a button up shirt. Progress!

One of the awesome side effects of this whole thing is that I have met my insurance deductible. The med that I've been paying $153 per month for is now down to a manageable $20! Hallelujah!! For those of you who live with a very tight budget as I do can understand the enormous weight that took off.

I need to find another sitting position. Take care, everyone!

Carol in NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Terri...........now I have It's Raining Men stuck in my head!!! Hope your RA subsides. I hear you on the "not buying what he was supposed to" part.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    crazy busy day! I am ready to ride home and get this vacation mode going!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Plus DH is being stupid. He went to the grocery store that I want to shop at today, and admits that he did NOT buy the things on my list. What a moron. The men in my head that I was just dancing with aren't that stupid.
    Too funny. Thanks for the chuckle!
    Cheri
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    <3
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    5sapiqwnb2o7.jpg

Here are my before and one year later pics. The after pic was taken in March of this year.

Mia in MI
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Wow, Mia... very well done, you look amazing!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) Wow, Mia, what an awesome change.smiley-happy110.gif
  • CookieBev
    CookieBev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In for July; hope to reach my weight goal by end of month. Will start weighing food instead of guestimating portions - could be why I've been on a plateau for such a long time. Praying for all of you!.

Bev in NC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Mia, that's amazing - the difference in your face is profound. You look fabulous!

-Yvonne in TX