WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    DJ - We were told by the title company that the banker is not getting information back to the them. He doesn't answer or return calls. He has only replied to 2 texts. I think he is angry because the buyers dad went over his head and he got in trouble so now he is not working hard to get this done. Wow! You really had a busy day! Soup is like chili always better the next day.

Becca- that is a very beautiful Christmas tree!

Michele- I understand completely what you are going through. I am so sorry for how your son is treating you. My DH and I have been together just over 6 years. His youngest DD has always been mean to me. Last year he confronted her on it. She was good for 3 months. Then she went back to negative behavior. When DH said something about how she made him feel she texted back to him "we're done". She blocked his calls and ignored him on Fathers Day. My DSis is experiencing similar behavior from both her kids. I wonder if it's that generation.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Took my son to his first appointment At the medical weight loss center. Went much better than I expected. Reasonable approach. Most follows the Mediterranean diet. Son is energized. Liked the doctor, etc. So tomorrow I go grocery shopping... Lots of lean protein and high fiber carbs. Both my husband and I will follow along as appropriate.

Penny... Beautiful pics!
    Heather... Stay cool!

Welcome to the new ladies!

Beth in WNY

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Marking my place...I've had my first nap of the night and will attempt more sleep after my next med intake at midnight.

Carol in NC

Glad you are hanging in there, Carol. Hopefully recuperation continues and a quick pace.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    @Pip - not sure when you are leaving tomorrow for Vegas, but I wanted to tell you to have the BEST time ever. Enjoy yourself and win lots of money and party more than that :smiley:
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie!
    And thanks alla y'all, for being around and engaged.

Today at work: alligator snapping turtles and other possibly endangered critters
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2f89bcca84b54b11b195e73034dcaf8a/it-endangered-more-study-alligator-snapping-turtles
    and a contribution line on gay marriage.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c22f1fe1745b444e86dff083181cf904/5th-circuit-tells-courts-issue-same-sex-marriage-rulings

Got in 10,000 steps for the first time in several days.

I don't remember what my June resolutions were but think I did reasonably well. My lowest-step day this week was 6,800; before I started exercising I averaged 2,000 to 3,000.

July resolutions:
    EXERCISE
    --Walking: at least 7,500 steps a day, even on Sunday (when I'm alone in the office and it's harder to get out and walk in the hall).
    Get in at least 10,000 steps at least 4 days a week.
    Hit 15,000 steps at some point in the month.
    --Jogging: Get from a max of 6 minutes to a max of 10 minutes at a time. (Donno if I'll hit this one, but it's worth trying.)
    --Get up early enough to get in some walking outside before the mirror steps. (This one is HARD.)
    FOOD
    --Keep logging (Fitbit's doing the steps).
    Stay within calorie budget.
    Watch sodium and sugar.
    NON-WEIGHT:
    --Freewrite 15 minutes first thing on waking. (I've got the notebook. Put it in the headboard last night. Forgot this morning.)
    --Get in more time at OEDILF and Books & Writers.

My deep respoect to all of y'all who have had to make it through terrible relationships.

JanetR - 8 lbs in 3.5 weeks is entirely respectable. What do your doctors think you should be losing per week? Why do you think you should be losing more than 2/wk?
    I bought the Fitbit Force because it claimed water resistance. I'm not at all sure I believe it - it has open electrodes in an uncovered hole at the back. OK, it's probably safe to wear out in the rain. But I sure wouldn't test it in a swimming pool.
    Fun costume jewelry xmas tree.

Lesley - yup. Let it go. Always much easier to say than to do.

Renny - way to smash that goal!

Gayle - it's 75 to 80 and humid here in the morning. I sometimes walk at 630 or 7a, but sometimes don't start until 10 or 11. I try to walk in the shade - if I walk outside on my lunch hour that's easier than it sounds, because I work across from the Superdome. Today I got in 10k steps in the hall at work. Okay, that was about 7k steps. The others were walking in place, sometimes quite fast, in front of the mirror and in the shower.

Joyce - I like to put frozen fruit in my yogurt. I use equal amounts, mixed thoroughly. Blueberries or cherries never get tooth-cracking hard (pineapple and peaches do), and the yogurt quickly takes in that cold, softening the fruit and adding a bit of strength to the yog. Greek yogurt even gets a little ice-creamy.
    Sounds like a lovely day with your sister.
    Sympathy for your husband.

KateKyi - excellent loss for June!

Allison - sounds well done. And you got to sleep easily! :)

Penny - reasonable goals. :)

yanniejannie - keep doing whatever you've been doing to lose those 5.5 and you'll lose some more. Maybe not another 5.5, because the less you weigh the fewer calories you need to maintain. But some.

Heather - <<<sympathy>>>
    <later> Glad you're feeling a bit better.
    I'm not one for cooked pease, but I love them in the pod, fresh off the vine. That taste was a revelation to me when we visited friends on a farm when I was a kid.
    Good job sorting!

Christina - welcome! and cool about the Y. Sciatica does respond well to the right exercises. I know that first-hand -- or perhaps first-back.

NC Carol - happy change-of-clothes! Little things are big when you're recovering.

Lisa - great loss, both for the month and total!
    Way to go on size 12! I tried on a size 14 this morning. They buttoned ... but, like you, I like breathing.

Naiomi - yup, those ice-cream stands are sneaky critters. Be stalwart!

Terri - the scarf-turned-pennant was, believe me, ugly. Also when I was in high school. :) The jewelry tree's not mine, though. It's JanetR's.

Carol/Peach - If the boiled yellow squash is summer squash, it should be about the same as zucchini. You may also be getting counts for the hard squashes like butternut.

It's after 11p so haveta quit after p2 in the new thread

Janet in NO, Preparing Quantities of Resolutions. Someday, Triumph!

• God5Grace4u
    God5Grace4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies-

My first post. I live in Fort Collins, CO

Word: Start already, please.

GOALS FOR JULY:
    Exercise every other day at the club because it also go for my brain.
    Drink 8 glasses of water so I won't blow out my kidneys
    Move and achieve 10,000 daily
    Don't try to be perfect; just consistent ;)

Good luck everyone!

• janetr7476
    Options
    @Janet in NO - JanetR - 8 lbs in 3.5 weeks is entirely respectable. What do your doctors think you should be losing per week? Why do you think you should be losing more than 2/wk?
    I bought the Fitbit Force because it claimed water resistance. I'm not at all sure I believe it - it has open electrodes in an uncovered hole at the back. OK, it's probably safe to wear out in the rain. But I sure wouldn't test it in a swimming pool.
    Fun costume jewelry xmas tree.

Thanks, the trees were fun and keeps my hands busy. I don't think I need to lose more than the 2 lbs. My thinking is I need to get in my excercise/walking/moving on the days I don't go to water aerobics. I usually go 3-4 times weekly. I had gained 11 lbs since my lowest weight after the gastric bypass and decided to put a stop to the gain. So decided to get back on the forever eating plan they gave us at the clinic. I always lose quickly at first because I retain fluid horribly.

Vicki, in GI Nebr said she had the waterproof and went swimming with it and no problems. I'd like it to log my work and steps during water areobics.

Janetr OKC
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Heather and Mary - I too had my best sleeping from 5-7 am or pm, for years... I have found a self hypnosis app on my I-phone, I-pad. it is free and is on weight loss. I play it at bed time and usually don't make it through the whole thing. Since I started listening to it last month I am consistently sleeping more. I have sleep apnea and now sleep with a cpap but it did not improve my sleep until I started listening to the self hypnosis. I think they have one for sleeping too. It taught me to relax better.

Gayle
    melting in Idaho
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love the young new blood we have gotten in June and now is July!!!!

Allson, good for you in standing up to your husband. I hope the time apart on your little trip is insightful for both of you. I am amazed you still sleep in the same bed.

heather, why do they require a drivers license???? I know sometimes form here ask for our social security number which they better give me a good and secure reason why they need it. And why do they need my husbands number when I am at a doctor's office??? Why do Britishers not have AC???

Janetr, I love your ornament tree. So none of these 'jewels' are any particular person's? I know I can look on my ornament and very fondly remember my Mom wearing a particular red earring that is on it or her stick pin that had the G on it. Mine is special to me. My sister did go to Hobby Lobby and buy some things there to fill in the gaps. And so did i. I just looked at my pictures and can't believe I don't have a single picture of the shelve/dresser decorations I made. They just sit real nice in a napkin holder that is in its side. Go to Goodwill, thrift shops, yard sales and buy up a lot, even the true Dollar stores. It sure would be nice if you could take this craft to a nursing home or assisted living facility or even a independent residential center. I would start out at around $20 and feel the waters on price. Take them to a craft show and you might get more. I would change the matting to a cream color and search Goodwill stores and come up with some really unigue frames. Now you have my mind going.

DJ, we do have a bathroom downstairs! Remember the fiasco we had at Christmas time with the plumbers and all the nasty, nasty water we had in our lower level? The plumber assured u that the bthroom was safe. The check off valve was safely in place. In cases of heavy rain there is a second valve we can hut and open but Charlie refuses to believe. He says the city doesn't keep their end of the deal in keeping the sewers cleaned out. I have offered to change spots with him and let him watch TV upstairs and me go downstairs. Of course that would take him away from his Wii and Netflix on the Wii. he loves his netflix because of some of the less family oriented movies that he can watch.

Lisa, looking good! you still have a nice looking butt going on!

Terri Milwaukee, I wonder if Storage Wars ratings were dropping and they had Dave come back? That's what some people like so much about reality shows, the drama. For me it would be reason to not watch it. I haven't watched it in a long time.

katla, How terrible and scary to have that severe of an insulin reaction to have actually destroyed brain cells. It must have been REALLY low. I don't think people realize that insulin reactions can destroy brain cells if it is low enough.

Sylvia, YEAH!!!! So glad I was able to help in a small way. We have found out that e really like the kids in an SUV. I don't know if your grand kids are in a car seat or not but it is so nice that that car seat is right at your level and you don't have to reach down for a minivan. We ahve a seven passenger, extended length minivan and then a Ford Escape SUV, both for just the 2 of us. But really they are for our family.

Peach, did you make that squash soup yourself? I so, enter in to the recipe maker and it will give you exact nutrients for you.

Sarah, we were all 48 ourselves one time so you qualify! Welcome

Penny, your grand kids are so precious and the scenery is again breathtaking. Where are the kids from?

Becca, I love your tree also. I assume it is lit. It is even more beautiful that you have added to it. I always wondered with kilts why they always have some kind of covering that is in front of a man's junk. Where does he wear these???

It has been a strange day here. I have really been making a cognizant effort to tell my husband more that I love him. It always is regarding something so it';s just not an open I love you. Maybe someday it can get to that. One of my medicines is 1 1/2 pill. Well how in the world is some one going to break a pill in half when it is rock hard. So I took it to him one night and ask him to break it and he couldn't. Both of us tried to break it with a knife but wouldn't work. We were jsut wasting medicine. The out of the blue he remembered seeing a regular good pill cutter in our laundry room. Why???? No idea. It worked wonders. So last Saturday night when I was doing our pill keepers I yelled to him, he's downstairs that I love him more on Saturday nights when I use that pill keeper. And then with ulcerative colitis. Oh boy, right now he does not love himself. He was incontinent 2 times. I had told him earlier in the evening that him having this disease just makes me love him more and more. So as he was cleaning himself up this evening and I was cleaning up the surroundings I told him that this was what I meant. I know at these times, he has no love for himself at all so I need to double up on my love for him. So tonight after I got home form choir practice and he got home from Karaoke he acted differently to me. He was more talkitive, asking how the ladies here were tonight, how practice was. Just asking about things in my life. And he isn't that kind of person in his later years. So there is hope for him yet. I don't know if he thought i was going to let him clean up his messes up all by himself or not. But that is not what a wife does. I told him that is he needed me to I would help him clean himself also but that ain't going to happen. he knows that at 67 his butt doesn't look as firm as it did when he ws in his prime, his thighs aren't as muscled. I do let him bag his soiled things and then I take them and wash them. We do a couple of just long pants and underwear a day sometimes. I am going to have to talk to Christina and make sure our grand kids are prepared that something like that may happen while they are here. Appointment with gastroenterologist is tomorrow morning. I hope at least some treatment will be ordered. it won't be started yet but maybe there be light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, I suggest never to charge up your fit bit while you are having a laundry night. Up and down the stairs about 6 times, not counted at all on the fit bit. Of course I don't recommend waiting until there are no more summer clothes in your closet to do laundry.

Nite nite, Joyce, Indiana

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Barbie – love the clean slate…. Makes me think

Christina, Sara, Cat – welcome

Carol – glad you are moving around, and I meant to comment on how neat it was that your daughter was learning about good food choices by cooking for you.

Naiomi – being on the run and not stopping at a “favorite” place has been a hard one for me to break, but you can do it!

Terri – Wow, I can’t imagine moving with a child and $13…. What crappy cousins!

Katla – I too love ice cream, but a sm (or even a large) Ben and Jerrys never is in my freezer it is in my hand with a spoon! So when I really really want one I have to make room in my calorie count for the WHOLE container….

Sylvia – walking with your friend should really help your goals, it is a bit more exercise and a faster pace…

Heather – it’s hot here too, 104f (40C) also with no AC, it is now 10:30pm and is down to 79f (26C) and that would be fine for the middle of the day, but too hot for bedtime!

Janetr – How long does it take to make one of your trees?

Vicki – it is ok to tell her you don’t know what to say but you care and wish you could make the pain go away.

Penny – I am in awe of your pictures… what a beautiful site. Cute Gkids….

Becca – is the plaid of hubbies kilt a family tartan?

Busy day, in class we made marshmallows, did chocolate dipping and made caramel apples. Tomorrow is chocolate bark, English toffee, and truffles… and that is it – no camp on Friday! (because of the 4th of july holiday)

June goals:
    Walk every day 180 miles for the month (in May I did 175… thought maybe a higher goal would be good) OK- NOT SO GOOD, 149MILES, BUT 3 DAYS WITHOUT MY FITBIT,SO NO MILEAGE COUNTED….
    NEW – 1 plank every day – and log them here – 19 WELL…. COULD HAVE DONE BETTER
    Log everyday - FAIL, MISSED 17 DAYS – WHERE IS MY BRAIN…
    Eat slower - DOING BETTER HERE, ONE TIME THIS WEEK I FINISHED AFTER THE REST OF THE GROUP
    do 2 fun things every week - LOVE THIS…
    week 1 – no traditional fun – but working hard to get all embroidery jobs done, clean up clutter inside and out, so that my doggy sitter will not have that to deal with, and the house will look nice when I get home.
    Week 2 – Seattle seeing my Godson graduate from college
    Week 3 – taught Intermediate baking camp every morning, and beginning baking every afternoon.
    Week 4 – teaching a new class – Candy! This is a challenge but a good one, and had gourmet at my house.

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    1 plank every day and log here – beat the 19 days for June
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Gayle- thanks for the information on the self hypnosis app. I will look into it. I was taught to use self hypnosis techniques to relieve muscle pain in my back.

Joyce- I agree with you, if you show love and compassion to your DH when he feels no love for himself it sounds like you melted a layer of self hatred from his heart.

Kim - I don't know how you can teach those candy classes without over indulging. You have to have amazing willpower!

Mary from Minnesota
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    hello, Ladies. There is no way that I can comment on each person's post.

yanniejannie _ Yeah for being down 5 1/2 lbs. Let's celebrate every little victory.

janetr - The jewelry tree is Awesome! I have a DDIL who upcycles old jewelry. One of my Mom's favourite earrings was made into a pendant for me. I love how she takes old , tired pieces and re-imagines them.

Carol NC. - Yummy. Blueberry pancakes sound heavenly.

Lisa - Good for you. Losing 31 lbs is no small fleet. Size 12 Whoooo - hoooo !!! is right.

Carey - Where is your reunion held?

DJ - Haha I loved your joke. I did have the best MIL ever though.

Penny - The photos were great. Quality time with the grandkids is a treasure and I'm glad you made some memories with them.

Lenora - Cajun food sounds delicious. I am sorely afraid it is on my no eat list because of the spice.

Lesley - What is Vitarium hot chocolate?

Becca - The Christmas tree is lovely.

I took my coffee out on the deck and enjoyed it among my flowers before I left for work. This was brought up as wasting my time today in counselling. I had a hard time taming my tongue until it was my turn to speak. Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on the same tomorrow.

Work was fine but time seemed to drag as the store was slow. All the people were out celebrating Canada. My daughter usually works at the big celebration. Today she face painted from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. I did get some of the feed back sessions taken care of. 6 in a month is hard to fit in with my other duties, it seems like I just finished evaluations. Now to get to hiring another body.

Counselling went okay.....I think. Trying to teach us how to have a "good fight". It was about the dish washer. The subject seems trivial but I know we are being taught how to listen and to treat each other with respect.

DH's test tomorrow. He is very nervous about this barium enema. I don't blame him. Fingers crossed that this one and the one on the 10th show that he is ready for the reversal of his ileostomy.

Setting goals for July while remembering
    -Realistic Plan
    -Realistic Expectations
    -Planned Rest Breaks.

Goals for July
    -Checking blood sugars once a day
    - Build fun into my days. (Water fight was great. Grandma needs a new gun)
    - Log food/exercise each day
    - Post in Walking group ahead of time so I will have partners.
    - Get d****d tire fixed on my trike.

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I took my coffee out on the deck and enjoyed it among my flowers before I left for work. This was brought up as wasting my time today in counselling. I had a hard time taming my tongue until it was my turn to speak. Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on the same tomorrow.
    Sharon, I'm not certain what kind of counselling that was, but I'm guessing it was your husband who called enjoying coffee among the flowers out on the deck a waste of time. I'd call it rest and recuperation, recharging batteries, LIVING! Good for you for planning on the same tomorrow! :flowerforyou:
    /Penny at the Pole
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    To all the ladies missing ice cream, pinch a recipe from Atkins. Peel 1 banana break it into chunks and put it in a freezer bag to freeze. When frozen (and the banana is a little bit soft) put the chunks into a blender. Makes lovely banana ice cream. You can put up to 4 tablespoons of milk in if the blender is struggling (because the banana got too hard). Top with a little bit of toasted coconut, or almonds,berries if you want to. Its delicious, very creamy and healthy.

8.5lb lost a month is very acceptable. I only want to lose between 5-10 lbs a month otherwise I feel my body wont have time to adjust. I didnt put on weight that fast so Im not going to lose weight fast. I know I have a long way to go doing it this way but its a life style change not a diet. My health and exercise is of more concern than my weight (I have another person to lose to be considered in range). Once I have my mental health and fitness, then I will see if I want to loose more each month.
    Kate
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Pip~ have a ball in Vegas remember what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas lol..
    actually the Dr that works at our office is out there for poker tournaments...
    I will probably be off the grid until I get home. from N..H. I am going to take a leisurely drive up, going to stop up at the cottage in Hampton and sit at the beach for a few hours and then up to the lake,,,
    then I can see how things go and when I want to come home...
    I hope everyone in the US enjoys a wonderful 4th of july weekend, and will fill y'all in when I get back <3
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Go for it Alison! Have a great time and r-e-l-a-x... You deserve a break. :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,267 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning all!
    It has been drizzling here - enough to mean I won't have to water today and it has cooled the temperature. Not a downpour, but better than nothing!

Loving all the photos, Norwegian scenery, grandkids, jewellery trees. Wonderful!

Joyce - to sell the house I have to provide photo ID, like a passport or drivers licence. Plus a current bill, .like a utility with my address on it. We rarely have temps that need AC, but when we do we just sweat it out. Shops and restaurants often have it. Some offices. Our summer temps are more often in the 70s - low 80s. Yesterday broke the record at Wimbledon.

I slept really well last night. I took all the over-the-counter drugs I had and moved into the spare room so I could open the window. DH has been having bad hay fever so doesn't want the windows open. Feel so much better, if a bit groggy this morning.

This morning on Woman's Hour my friend Deborah Moggach was talking about her new book, SOMETHING TO HIDE. She wrote The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I was at university with her and moved into her room after she was kicked out by my friend. We were very good friends when our children were young in London. I have lost touch recently since she moved into more exalted circles, but follow her career with interest. Those of you who might be interested in what she has to say about women in their 60s and her books can listen online, on a pod cast. BBC Radio 4 WOMAN'S HOUR. 2nd July. I know some of you like to do this. The rest of the programme is also very interesting. I listen to all this stuff while I am exercising!

Turkey Burgers tonight. Along with the turkey I mix in some well squeezed out frozen spinach. I cook more than we need do we have some left for a cold lunch tomorrow. :bigsmile:

Chores this pm are getting the first batch of my legal stuff finished and posted. Hope the P.O. will do an official copy of the drivers licence. Also picking up my overdue prescription and buying some lowGI bread.

Now to scribble a few words. Got German rye bread and smoked salmon for lunch.

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • Karenka2012
    Karenka2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    July goals:
    10000 steps each workday (M-F)
    Track eating and exercise daily
    Lose 3 pounds

• fanncy0626
    Options
    We just found out that we can start renting on Friday! Yeah!!! At least we can get settled in. We have no idea when we are closing though. We sign an extension today that says on or before July 31! I wonder what year!

Allison- have a great trip! Have fun and whatever happens in NH...

Heather- your friend sounds very interesting.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Great to hear Mary!