Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    DJ :) I almost spit water on my computer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,106 Member
    Options
    Yipes--July already! Wooooo. Best wishes to everyone.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I promised to get back with a bit about the grandchildren's visit last week. They were here for seven days and unfortunately only one of those days was sunny, and all of them averaged well below 10°C (about 55°F). But we're used to that!

Bedtime on the first night was a bit of a challenge. Our guest beds are in a loft that opens onto the living room, so we heard the entire bedtime procedure. The kids were lively and talkative after the exciting airplane journey. Dad read a story, then another one, but the kids wouldn't settle down. They protested that it wasn't night yet. Look, it was still light outside. Dad tried to explain about Earth's tilted axel and summer and winter and midnight sun, but had to admit it wasn't easy to understand. He read another book and sang a few songs. Fifteen minutes later we had to suppress our giggles when one of the kids piped up "How long have we been asleep?"

Their favorite outing is to the beach just below the house. I think we went there at least twice every day. The stream that runs down the valley tumbles over a little waterfall just before it reaches the ocean. There are backwaters and whirlpools and lots of rocks and driftwood to toss in the water, which is crystal clear. Farther out toward the salt water you can find seaweed and mussel shells and tiny crustaceans under the rocks. The kids played there as long as the grown-ups could stand it, and then some. (It definitely isn't a place to leave pre-schoolers unattended!)

One day big boy L (4½) had a homemade boat along.
    wr6l5z68gr2q.jpg

Another day, Dad and the kids joined forces to construct a causeway out to a boulder in the tidal zone. Here's little sister J (3) sitting on that boulder like the little mermaid.
    dfsd6owe55t6.jpg

On the partly sunny day we walked out to the point, about 5 km round trip (over 3 miles). L walked the whole way and J walked there but rode home in the baby backpack. We stopped on the way for some apple slices. J was in charge of the snack and insisted on carrying it herself in her backpack.
    27o0jngzm1gi.jpg

At our destination we had a hot dog picnic then the kids did their best to transfer every single pebble and rock on the beach into the fjord. Since the beach consisted entirely of pebbles, rocks and boulders, they were well occupied – but unsuccessful.

Those children's brains are like sponges! One day I took a half-hour walk with L. I told him about the paths we were walking on, whether they had been made by people or sheep or hares. I pointed to where the eagles nest up on the mountainside. We found half of an eggshell and I explained that the size and the pattern of the splotches suggested it was a ptarmigan egg. We looked at alpine violets and I showed him how the brown lines on the yellow petals guided bees to the nectar.

Several days later, L and Grampa took the same walk - and L told Grampa about hare paths and sheep paths and where the eagles nest and how the bees find nectar and pointed at the place where we found a "tamidan egg". :heart:

Our son did a great job with the kids, as always, but he was "on duty" essentially 24/7. After a particularly trying day near the end of the week, he looked longingly at the mountain above the house and sighed. He said he would dearly love to get up there, but he'd just have to come back some other year. I could see he needed some quiet time, so I volunteered to handle bedtime that evening. His father could take him as far as the tricky bit and help him find the *only* safe path up past the cliff, and he could go the rest of the way on his own. And that's exactly what happened. Midnight sun can be a pain when you're trying to get kids to sleep, but it's great for late-night excursions!

Last but not least, an image from my solitary evening stroll out toward the point today. The sun came out after everyone had left. Typical!
    rcpgnjg9v0p0.jpg

/Penny at the Pole

July goals:
    1. Maintain my pound-a-day veggie habit
    2. Weigh and log food when I am cooking
    3. Exercise restraint when I'm not cooking
    4. "Choose my booze"
    5. Exercise in some form every day
    70411392.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    miako- congrats on your weight loss!

ablie- drink water! and then drink more water!

stm712015 - ain't no thang, you have my blessing to stay.. you're almost on the dark side anyway. :0)

Pip, Dark side? Ha! Just wait til you're about to turn 66, sistuh. Oh I'd better go lay down. :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    stm712015 wrote: »
    Good to know I can be a part of the group - thanks!

pipcd34 - heehee, I think I crossed over to the dark side a while ago.... more fun over here. ;)

fanncy0626 - oops, should have given my name: Sara from Arizona

Welcome Sarah. You've found a great support group here.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Penny- what lovely pictures of your grandchildren! What a beautiful picture of the snow covered mountains in the background!

Heather-I have had trouble binging on a mountain dew here and there. I don't know what gets into me. I need a safe too. At least cheese is good for you!

Mary from Minnesota
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Mia's July resolution about iced tea overload got me to wondering... I can tell summer is approaching when I start craving iced tea. I happily drink nothing but water all winter long, but when the weather gets hot I drink iced tea by the pitcher.

Since I make herbal or green iced teas with no caffeine and drink them unsweetened, I just count every glass of tea as water. I also drink a lot of black half-caff coffee (and I probably ought to cut down, but that's a resolution for another month) but I don't want to credit myself for anything caffeinated so I just don't log it.

When sweetie and I are outside doing sweaty work in the yard, we sometimes drink Koolaid (made with a third of the sugar called for on the package, and with Emergen-C added for electrolytes) because neither of us likes Gatorade. I do log that since it has calories.

How do y'all handle logging your non-water fluid intake?

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy026.gif Pip, I feel so much better knowing your ride starts at Mount Vernon, not Tacoma...beautiful scenery up there.

smiley-happy026.gifKatla, I grew up with a sister but she died when she was in college...I have no children so I don't have to be concerned about holding onto anything in case my children want the stuff later. I gave some stuff to Jake's daughter when we moved up here and have no idea what she did with a lot of it but I told her ahead of time that I had no opinion about whether she used it, gave it away, or sold it in her husband's pawn shop.

smiley-happy026.gif DJ...smiley-laughing025.gif

smiley-happy026.gif I got the idea about a new month being a "clean slate" from Gretchen Rubin's new book, "Better Than Before", a must read for anyone trying to create new habits.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • thistimekc
    thistimekc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Katie. I want to lose 80lbs by 9/6/2016 when I turn 59. I want to be fit and healthy at 60. I live in Western CO. I garden, ride my my bike slowly an intermittently. I am working up to 10,000 steps currently weekly average is 6,000 steps. Today started back at my knee exercises, that include a general exercise plan. I have a gym membership that I haven't used in a year. They do have a pool. It's been so hot that I will use as the "carrot" to get me to the gym
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    smiley-happy026.gif I got the idea about a new month being a "clean slate" from Gretchen Rubin's new book, "Better Than Before", a must read for anyone trying to create new habits.

I am currently listening to this book on my phone during my walks. Better Than Before-Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. Lots of great information about habits.

@ydailey I count anything I drink from a cup/mug/glass as my "water" for each day. Usually 1 cup of morning coffee and then water and Sparkling Ices.

One of my goals for July is meeting my protein macro each day. I did it today however it is certainly going to take planning in order to get all my protein grams.

Welcome to all the new gals joining us. This is by far the most supportive group of women I have come across in my health/fitness journey.

Cheri (Fairlawn, Ohio)

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." Benjamin Franklin

26191113.png
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Holy Moley - It's July already. I was home only 9 days in June, and 4 back to back business trips were grueling, mentally and physically. Good to be back on this thread, although I still have about 65 pages to read to catch up with you all.

Barbie: Thanks as always for keeping us going with compassion and inspiration.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

June Goals Report
    Increase weekly calorie burn goal by 20%. Complete except for one week.
    Keep consumption of alcohol to 2x week. F[b]ailed. Miserably.[/b]
    Give someone a compliment every day. Complete.
    Once a week, call a friend just to check in. Failed this one too.
    My word for 2014 is mindfulness.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi everybody!!!

This month's goals are to eat my caloric intake (or less);
    Get in the pool as often as I can and exercise by walking in it. (Today, I did 2 sessions; 1.5 hour; then 1 hour)
    Find something 'positive' even if it is difficult;
    Not to worry about things I can't change
    Smile at 3 strangers a week or more often, if out; and
    Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water everyday.

Today is a 'new' start; and I'm looking forward to my weigh-in on Tuesday. Went to MD for other reason than my regular weigh-in and on his scale I weighed 183lb; down by 6. Exercise is the key.

Taking DGDs to the beach the end of the month; then at the end of August we'll go visit DYS and his 'new' family. I'd like to think that on neither trip I will be 'glued' to MFP trying to figure out what I can eat. First trip, I'll be able to get into pool. Second one, I will eat some 'very good Cajun food'. Hope I don't blow my entire diet at that point.

Lenora (today I was GRITS and not SLUTS)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    thistimekc wrote: »
    Hi all. My name is Katie. I want to lose 80lbs by 9/6/2016 when I turn 59. I want to be fit and healthy at 60. I live in Western CO. I garden, ride my my bike slowly an intermittently. I am working up to 10,000 steps currently weekly average is 6,000 steps. Today started back at my knee exercises, that include a general exercise plan. I have a gym membership that I haven't used in a year. They do have a pool. It's been so hot that I will use as the "carrot" to get me to the gym

Hi, Katie, and welcome. I have a sister Katie that lives in Arvada. We're from Denver originally, I have lots of family there. Are you around Grand Junction? So proud of you for making a decision to get healthy by 60. I can identify, only I waited until 65. Sounds like you have a plan and are headed the right direction. This is a wonderful group, of charing, sharing, supportive women. Again, welcome.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday here and slept REALLY well last night
    2 juices today and soup for lunch
    Breakfast - Tummy trimmer (1/2 pineapple and 3 kiwi fruit smoothy)
    After weights - protein shake
    Lunch - veg soup and grain roll
    Afternoon - Pina colada smoothy
    Dinner - pork chop, potato, carrot, cauliflower
    Supper - Vitarium hot chocolate

Only 9240 steps yesterday. Walking Blaize and got to turn round point and down came heavy rain, soaked through when we got home and rain stopped. Blaize does not mind rain daft dog

Lesley in tasmania
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    how do you resize a pic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather UK: I read DH your post because of the temperature. I looked it up and 35C=95F, which is what our temperature is today. I’m sitting in my air-conditioned house looking out the window at the river. We saw 6 river otters playing in the water in front of our place a few minutes ago. I wouldn’t like to face this much heat without air conditioning, so I’m sending cool thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:

Andrea Long Island NY: Add exercise to your schedule before or after work, and choose something that is easy. Do what you like and what is easy to fit into your life. Walk in the neighborhood or on a treadmill, or ride a stationary or regular bike. Walking with a friend is motivating, and some of us walk dogs for the companionship and exercise. Several people keep track of their walking with a pedometer, but I’ve just used my watch. I walk for a half hour at a particular pace and look up the calories for that amount of time. Keep it simple and manageable, especially at first. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: You are good to your friend. I hope you find time to ride out to Quaker State with DH. :smiley:

DJ Myrtle Beach: I read Bruno, The Italian Funeral Dog to DH who really enjoyed it. Thanks for brightening the day! :laugh:

Penny: Your pictures are gorgeous, and I enjoyed reading about your son and the kids. :heart:

Thistimekc: Welcome to a supportive group. :flowerforyou:

Grits: You only blow your whole diet if you give up after a bad day. :noway: Forgive yourself. Every day starts fresh with no mistakes in it. :flowerforyou:

Lesley: Blaize is a good exercise partner! You seem to be doing well. :bigsmile:

We’re discussing junk food dinner. Pizza is one option. Boxed mac and cheese is another. Both sound terrible. I hope we find something to share that won’t salt us out.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym - 11.40min, 15.1amph, 2.9mi = 93c
    spin - 40min, 87ar, 81aw, 9-10g, 17.2mi = 259c
    ride gym 2 wk - 48.54min, 13.9amph, 11.3mi = 428c
    ride wk 2 hm - 51.12min, 11.8amph, 10mi (87degrees and WINDY) = 495c
    total cal 1275
  • Annr
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    vm19qxm9hqa0.jpg

AWESOME! I shall share the one I made for Christmas time. It has many of my Grandmas, and Mothers jewelery on it.005_zpsilg9xway.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    over the years I have added many trinkets, my sons locket he gave me, a starfish etc...