WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Peachstategal: thanks! (Photo)

Heather: I know exactly what you mean by being so tired you’re nauseated. Hope you get some rest. The heat doesn’t help either….

Barbie: you’re a better man than I (lol): all I thought on June 21 was, well, here comes winter!

Christina: welcome. I’m another one who has to work around physical problems/pain to get exercise. I do mostly biking and weightlifting. Swimming is also good.

Carol: you sound good. You will love your shower!

Jane: thinking of you.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Happy First of July and best wishes to you all for a fantastic and successful month, whatever your goals may be.

Lesley, I am always so impressed with your determination and commitment. What is your long term goal? It definitely appears to be health and fitness. You don’t have much weight to lose (good for you) and I wondered if you are still working with Brian? Is he a nutritionists or trainer? You know I can’t remember s#it. I’m just so happy you came back to us.

Renny, Happy Canada Day for tomorrow. (I’ll forget by then, ya know.) Is that equivalent to our Fourth of July? Have a good one.

Gayle, welcome. The heat is keeping many of us inside. Thank goodness for AC, which few people had when I was a kid. I’m not a walker but have been doing some walking in place to Leslie Sansone on UTube. It is actually better than walking outside for me, or at least more exercise. Have a great month.

Joyce, I love the ornament with pieces of jewelry glued all over it. Wish I had more of my Mom’s jewelry but some day may make DD one with mine and my mom’s. I love storage wars although we don’t watch it often. Some of the “stuff” they find is hilarious, but not as much as the buyers. Do you not have a bathroom downstairs that Charlie could get to faster? Poor thing. I laughed when I read about the same hairstyle for umpteen million years: When I was about 25 some of DH’s customer’s daughters came over to visit when they were in town. As we talked one said something about age and guessed my age, “because they had older friends that still wore their hair that way”. My DH just about fell out in the floor laughing his butt off. I guess he and they took it that my hairstyle was a bit out of date??

Carol, we will hold your spot for a long as you need. All we want is to know you are doing okay after your recent shoulder surgery. So glad you have help.

Kate, I believe you are right. “You Got This”. Just keep it up, girl.

Allison, good for you on calling Tom on his s#it! I just hope he does think about it.

Yannie, so sad about the horse.

Carol GA, I might have missed something or forgotten(Me? No way!) but why does your DH hunt for more merchandise? Does he have a business where he sales?

Heather, I hate that you aren’t sleeping and worrying about everything. That’s not good. You need one of those special places you can go when meditating. Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I hope you can relax and get some sleep. (((Hugs)))

Gilly, sometimes it’s not even worth trying to catch up but to pick a spot and go from there. Ya know this thread is not supposed to cause stress but to help remove it. Most important is to concentrate on you and your health and happiness. If you miss anything really good, we’ll tell you about it. paper.gif

Jean in GA, welcome. We are glad you found us, too. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. As I’m sure you can tell, this is a very supportive group of ladies. Come often and join right in.

Janetr, I love the jewelry tree you made. Thanks for sharing.

Christina, welcome. First of all, if that is a picture of you….you look way too young! But we won’t hold that against you. It sounds like you have some challenges, but that just gives you a reason to work all the harder. Truth is, losing weight isn’t easy at any stage of life. There are many of us on here that have struggled with it for years and can testify to that. Having a Y so close is wonderful. Do take advantage. As you know, the more you exercise, the better you will feel. Come often and share all you want.

Carol, so glad to see you up and about. We didn’t get a drop of rain last night even though it just missed us. Heal quickly!!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Well, I only lost 2.5 pounds in June. Thank goodness I didn’t have a goal of a certain number of pounds loss. I failed miserably on part of my goals. I didn’t exercise 5 time a week always. I haven’t started line dancing classes yet, because things keep getting in the way of the schedule. I have for the most part stayed within my calorie limits. So all in all, not a great month on goals. I'm off to the doctor and then may have lunch with a friend. I tried to get her to go to the beach rather than lunch, but she didn't have time. I am thinking seriously about my July goals and this is what I’ve come up with:
    July Goals:
    Be aware of portion size
    Exercise at least 5 days a week
    Drink water, at least 8 glasses a day
    Log all food and drink
    Stay within 1200 calories a day while eating healthy.
    I certainly wish all of you success with your goals and that we all have a happy and healthy July.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies! We will not be moving into our new house or selling our old one until next week :'( we still haven't heard back whether the seller of the house we are buying is willing to let us rent. Hopefully she will.

Janetr- Love the costume jewelry tree that you made. Do you sell them? If not you should. I would definitely buy one.

Carol NC -I am glad that you're doing better and blueberry pancakes sound delicious!

Heather-I'm with you it is so hard to sleep at night. My best time for sleeping is from 5 AM to 8:30 AM. I hope you feel better!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes!
    I have just woken up from a lovely 1 hour nap! My mood has improved somewhat though I am still daunted by the admin. Will get DH to help me take baby steps. Phew, it's HOT! No AC for us poor old Britishers. :s Glad I'm not up in London today. :o

Going to make a cauliflower and fresh pea frittata for dinner with tomato salad. Got to pod the peas! ! Will throw in a few cumin seeds with the spring onion and garlic.

Kim - your salmon sounded great. I use mesquite drops on mine and I often put some smoked chilli paste on as well. Fabuloso! ! ! !

Now to make a cup of tea and tackle those forms! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi, all...

Thank you, Barbie for our clean slate - you're really appreciated... :wink:

Welcome, newbies, we're glad to see you...

Mary, sorry the house situation isn't resolving as quickly as you need it to.

Carol
    , glad to see you back!

Carey
    - don't know if the high protein did it, but I did bump off that stall. Will continue in July, see if it evens out the horrible 12-day stalls...

Hugs to those who need 'em, and back pats to those who don't...

June goals - mostly same as July goals, except for getting in flexibility/core/weight exercises, which I failed at miserably. I did get my weight to 31 pounds lost total, six of which were in June... averaged between two and three pounds lost each week for the first 90 days.

July goals
    • Weigh less than my husband by the end of July.
    • Run farther than I did at the end of June (get consistently past 4-mile mark)
    • Run faster than I did in June - (get consistently faster than a 15-minute mile)
    • Keep calorie levels steady 1400-1500 daily, 140-150 g protein daily.
    • Get the core work going, at least crunches!
    • Write 3000 words a day, every day in July--complete first draft of the sequel to This Little Pig.
    • BISHOK… Butt in seat, hands on keyboard every single day. At my typing speed of 100 wpm, should take only 30 minutes, right? Do it.

And, stats for this morning before I go jump in the shower: 4.25 miles run, 550 calories burned, 59 minutes... Kept that last pound off (fully expected to bounce back over 180... :)) so am starting the month at 31 pounds lost, weighing 179.

And, last but not least, here's the comparison pic... and best NSV of all, the jeans in that right-hand picture are size 12! The beginning picture, I'm in sweats, but at my starting weight, was in size 18 jeans.

Now, will I wear those 12s today when I go to town? Nuh-uh, no sir. I like breathing too much, I'll jump back in my 14s. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm down to a size 12! Woo-hoo!

w34nbpzvh7tb.jpg

• naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks Barbie for starting the new thread. This weekend we will move to the summer house on the river.

I have been holding off grocery shoping until we move. DH has finished the repairs on the kitchen for this year, so all that's left to do there is cleaning.

July and August should be a bit slower than the rest of the year. I am hoping to work just 3days a week. I am finding that it is very hard to keep a fast pace w/out overeating. I did not really loose weight during June but at least I did not gain.

I usually do not set goals outloud so I will set one to drink more water, and another to cease stopping for an ice cream sundae when I pass a particular stand.

Naiomi2025 in 70F and cloudy Massachusetts
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Lisa-you look fantastic! 31 pounds lost that's amazing! Keep up the good work you're doing fantastic.

Mary from Minnesota
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday and Happy July ! ! !

Becca – aren’t those bugs just ridiculous? I swear they know when everyone except me is sleeping or gone. DH is HVAC, so we have several types of Freon around the house.

Barbie – Hooray for Jake. Thanks for the new thread !

Rosie – Enjoy Vegas.

Grits – We have had students who move ask their Provider for Anxiety Pet permission letters. Good luck with all of it.

Kim – Part of how we got here in Milwaukee is because Shorty’s was gutted by fire in 2005. He had cousins as co-investors, and they took the entire Insurance check. Since Greg and I both got jobs in the same town a few years later, we sold the empty building and house next door, put most of our stuff in storage, and moved here with youngest son and $13.00 total (that our attorney had to beg out of the cousins). Life is better now, and I don’t miss waking up in the middle of the night to fix a urinal or break-up a fight or whatever.

Janet M – you can still salvage the scarf-turned-pennant. You can add the same or different color to one side, and make it look like it was supposed to be 2 or more colors. You can make another just like it, and sew them together for different shapes, etc. The best advice I would like to offer is to count your stitches until you are certain where you need to end and turn. Keep trying, you will get better at it. A scarf is a wonderful way to start. // Oh My, that jewelry tree is beautiful !!!

Joyce – sorry about the confusion. DH has only once in our relationship taken me on a vacation just for the sake of vacation; everyplace we go is for a family-members’ sporting event – bowling, baseball, basketball, etc. We went to Las Vegas in 2000 because the National Bowling Tournament was nearby. I love watching Storage Wars (and Storage Hunters, but not as much). My favorite is when the person who wins that unit goes through and tells value of an item, and I know they are WAY off on the value – that makes me laugh. I wish they didn’t bring Dave back though.

Allison – something my Dad said to me jumps to mind regarding your Tom. “God, keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth”. I hope he misses you while you are gone.

I use old costume jewelry to decorate cloth-covered picture frames, or to dress-up purses, or if there is a hole like a bead, I will crochet them onto projects like hats or such. I used one whole beaded + amethyst necklace as the handle for a purse I crocheted. Many people asked to take pictures of it.

July 9 DH heads to Chicago for Bronze Bowling Coach Training, then DS and I will meet him there sometime after baseball either Friday night or Saturday morning. Then, Junior Gold Registration and practices are Saturday and Sunday. The National Tournament starts Monday, July 13. DH informed (teased) me that he plans on eating pizza in the Hotel room for every meal, so I REALLY hope there is a mini-fridge so I can keep some fruit and salad readily available.

My wrist is worse today, and typing really hurts, so I must be done for now and get this posted. I also must see if there is any paperwork I can do that isn't too painful. I chose 1/2 roma tomato as a snack just now, because I was feeling hungry. Today lunch will be at 11am and supper not until after 8pm, so I have to plan for many healthy snacks (I found Level Life protein bars on clearance at Walgreens, so I hope that helps get me through the day and stay on track). The scale is back to moving the correct direction, so I'm getting more and more motivated every day. If I keep eating this healthy, I just might make the contest (doubtful, but I'm going to keep my thoughts as positive as possible).

Our current temp is 61, with a forecast high of 68. Feel free to send some of that heat this direction (just not all of it, because my "personal summers" can really heat up an entire room sometimes).

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Thank you! I should try the bike today along with the weights. Have you ever done a cycling/spinning class? I'm afraid I'd die before it's over! LOL! When you swim, do you swim laps and for how long?

Christina: welcome. I’m another one who has to work around physical problems/pain to get exercise. I do mostly biking and weightlifting. Swimming is also good.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    morning peep head o laaa's !

as usual, thanks to our fearless leader for starting the new thread!

exermom - yup, moving steps. it also has a feature where you can climb various heights of well known towers throughout the world.
    as far as the other stuff other than biking, not bored yet, i do try to change it up. if i didn't have my music, yeah, i think i would have shot myself already...

janetr - yeay for your 8lb loss!!!!! that's awesome!!! walking is a great way to exercise. even power walking in the pool, great resistance for the legs

Lestan - you are awesome with your stats! don't dwell on something that is not worth the trouble, you are right, let it go!

Rebelrenny - have fun on your day off w/family and late happy bday!! and congrats on the 3lb loss!!!!

grandmallie - nice way to make him think. but i think he might think better with my foot up his *kitten* :0)

yannie- awwww why did they have to put him down. one thing i did notice/learn about myself and it has stuck with me ever since i had married #1 and that is "never say never" the reason i say that is because my dad was abusive to my mom. i am the youngest of 7 so i don't remember him much and don't remember the fights they had. i had always thought he left us, it was actually the other way around. mom left him when i was 3 so that would have made her 26 and that was after he broke her nose. when she hooked up with the other guy, there was pushing and verbal abuse on both ends but they stayed together til he died. he did support all 7 of us. from all that, i USED to say, i will NEVER let a man touch me or call me names in that way, i WILL CHOP HIS B#$%S OFF before that happens. i swore to everything that is holy! and lookie what happened with me with #1 husband! lolol. you just never know how you are going to react until you are in that situation yourself. NOW that i've gone thru that, NOW I CAN say i will never let that happen to me becuase i have been thru it. that is just my take on that from my personal experience.

barbiecat - the MS Bike Ride starts at the Skagit Valley Fairgrounds in Mt Vernon WA. that is where we ride then head to deception pass. didn't want you thinking i ride from Tacoma to there. lolol

Janetr - purdy frame job w/the jewelery

hsdramamom - welcome - whats the diff btwn premenapausal and full menapausal. i've heard of all these symptoms (hot flashes, moody, weight gain) i've had/having hot flashes but that's it. sweating doesn't bother me so the hot flashes don't either. i don't have weight gain or moody, guess it's cuz i am so active?

bwcetc - 50 lashes w/a wet noodle for forgetting to weigh yourself! how could you!

lhannon - i was pumped when i got to size 12, i remember that !!! seems like i was in the size 16 forever at the time. great for you!

it was 60 degrees this morning when we left the house after the gym, I rode to work again and it was so beautiful and clear! by the time I got to work I looked like I just took another shower from the sweat as I usually do, at least it wasn't stinky lololol.

2 more days of work, off Friday due to holiday then VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I ever told you guys but we don't check luggage, we each have a back pack. we used to drive our car to the airport and leave it at one of those extended parking garages. that changed a few years ago. we now walk from home to the bus station (calorie burning time :smile: ), take the bus to the airport then from the airport we walk to the hotel (closest one will be MGM Grand). I am sooooo ready for this.

oh - yesterday they had a barbeque here at wk and so it was potluck - I am not usually a beef eater. I ended up eating a hamburger patty and potato salad and other poop, out of my norm, oh well, as my husband says, fills a hole, makes a turd :0/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for the new thread, and the reminder that we have a clean slate. :flowerforyou:

Janet: 8 pounds lost in 3 ½ weeks is excellent progress. Enjoy your success and keep on doing what you’re doing. You’re making great progress! :bigsmile: Your costume jewelry tree is a work of art. Beautiful!

Alison: Your question to DH last night was excellent. I hope he does think it over and also thinks about his treatment of you. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I hope your friend who is divorcing an abusive husband after 45 years has a good support system and ends up with half of the assets and none of the debt. :wink:

Penny: My first year here I took dishers and food scales to the Thanksgiving celebration at DD's house in CO. I weighed and measured everything, and did okay. I’m not sure I’d recommend travelling with the dishers and scales, but they worked for me. My strategy has always been portion control rather than eliminating food groups or items. Do the best you can and enjoy your visit with friends and family. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Sending hugs your way. You have a lot going on at the moment. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am an only child of older parents. I don’t recommend it. I always longed for siblings. Inheriting everything does eliminate jealousy, rivalry and quarrels, though. :laugh: I have things of my parents that I’m storing for my kids, and I fear they really don’t want them. :ohwell:

Carol: I hope your recovery continues to go well. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Your weight comparison picture is brilliant. It proves what good progress you’re making. :flowerforyou:

Naomi: Ice Cream is one of my weaknesses, too. I deal with it by logging every bite and swallow. Right now I have a small carton of Ben & Jerry’s in the freezer but I usually confine myself to buying an ice cream cone once in a while. :embarassed:

We’re home from DH’s HS reunion and I will get to go to yoga for the first time in over a week. I look forward to it. I still have saddle sores, but I think I can do the yoga workout without too much pain. I'm healing slowly and I’m glad to have another week off from riding.

DH’s 50th HS reunion was a very positive experience. It was a great group of people & I liked them. DH was able to make some connections and build small bridges to the past. He had a massive insulin reaction in his early twenties and it took away a huge block of memories that included much of his HS time. Most of his “memories” were told to him by his mom in the weeks after he was released from the hospital back then. I didn’t meet him until several months later.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    How is it July already?! Thank you, barbie, for starting us off with a clean slate!

Michele - We have to haul our recycling, and it's ridiculous how much of it the two of us manage to generate. The city is talking about setting up a curbside pickup pilot program, and I really hope someday they'll provide that service. I just bought a compost tumbler from a neighbor, so I'm looking forward to getting that set up because it bugs me to toss compostable items.

Mary from MN - Sending good vibes your way and hoping the seller will work with you. The house we bought in May was the sixth one I've owned in my life, and I think the process of buying and selling has gotten more stressful in recent years.

I'm meeting my sister and brother-in-law at the river house in Wimberley for another post-flood work day this weekend. I managed to dig the inflatable kayaks out of storage, though, so I'm looking forward to taking a break from hot sweaty work and paddling around with my sister.

When we lived in New Mexico, I discovered the first sport I've ever enjoyed and loved: crosscountry skiing. It was wonderful to be able to ski every weekend in the winter, but now that we're back home in Texas I'd love to find another activity that doesn't feel like exercise. Shooshing along quietly up on a mountain was the only time I've ever experienced the sense of "flow" that runners talk about - that sense that you could keep going for hours. I wish I could find something else that evokes the same feelings AND is easily accessible to do on a regular basis. Lap swimming comes close, but now that we're in a small town there's nowhere nearby to do that year-round.

June Goals:
    1. Track on MFP every day. I'm currently on a 25 day streak, and I tracked food most of those days although I missed some on weekends when I didn't have internet access.
    2. Get in some kind of exercise at least five days per week, even if it's just a DailyBurn program or walking a few blocks with the dog. I've been easing into this, and it's still my biggest challenge but I did pretty well. I lost 4.8 pounds in June, so progress is slow but steady.
    3. Be good to myself, say no to new obligations, and enjoy some free time now that I've got it. Definitely turned down a lot of stuff, but I need to commit some time to being social too.

July Goals:
    1. Track on MFP every day.
    2. Get the exercise machines set up and step up the cardio.
    3. Unpack my office.
    4. Clear out the storage unit we filled up while moving (lift that box! tote that bale!).
    5. Start saving/shopping for a better bike.
    6. Get fitted for a sports bra.

-Yvonne in TX
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Terri - I hope your wrist feels better soon! I must have missed the post as to what happened to your wrist. Sorry I've just been so busy packing lately that sometimes I skimmed over the posts to quickly.

Katla- I am glad that you're back from your trip. I am happy that you were able to have a positive experience with DH's high school classmates. I hope your saddle sores go away real soon.

Yvonne - have fun kayaking with your sister. That is very relaxing activity to do. I was of always afraid I would tip over not be able to right myself! But that never happened LOL

Pip - for your size you can definitely take a backpack full of clothes. You probably just need itty-bitty little dresses. Have fun in Vegas. We leave on the 29th for Vegas. Too bad we weren't going at the same time that would have been fun to hook up with you for the evening.

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It's July already!

June goal - log food every day
    I met this goal largely because I stopped by here every day.

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training

Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise

Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water

Word for the month – Gratitude. I will approach each day with an attitude of gratitude. I will list 3 things I am grateful for each night before I go to sleep.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Started off early with a long walk with my short friend. She really is a speed demon, so it was a nice workout.

Then Allstate called and said we could get a rental car. They tried to tell me we weren't "authorized" to get anything bigger than a compact, but I heard Joyce's advice ringing in my ears and held my ground. So, we just now picked up an SUV from Enterprise and Monday or Tuesday of next week we can swap it for a mini-van. They said they are sold out of minivans because it's coming up on a holiday weekend. So, I'm happy enough for now. I have wheels again! It's not a car I would have chosen for myself, but it runs and will hold all the kids. Maybe not all the dogs, though. Thanks Joyce!!!

Hubby is talking about doing another road trip while we have a rental car, to save miles on our own car. I'm sure it sounds like a good idea but I'm not looking forward to it. Being away from the dogs and kids is really hard. But we usually go see his sisters sometime in the summer, so it might as well be now. They live in North Carolina and we live in Kansas. I'd like to meet somewhere in the middle but we can't come up with a place that anybody wants to visit. He normally likes to go to the beach on the outer banks but all this shark attack stuff in the news has him a little shook up.

I did not do well on my goals for June. I was determined to lose 5 pounds, but in the end I gained one instead. So, July will have to be better. More walking, some jogging, more weights. I think my food is OK, although we did eat out a couple of times when I would rather have stayed home. I am really careful eating off a menu, but still there is more salt than I like.

I downloaded the Run Double Couch to 5K app for my phone. Does anybody have experience with it, or advice on getting started? I've gotta shake this stuff loose and get it gone! I have 25 pounds to go till I hit my goal of being in the "normal" category. Down from 302. I'm just stuck like glue to 170. My size is somewhere around a 14 on bottom, like you Lisa. I tried on a 12 and could get it zipped but trying to sit down was too hard, so I went back to the 14's. In pj's I wear a 10-12. And I have one pair of capri pants that have a tag that says 8/10 which fit great. I suspect either the tag was a mistake or that brand runs very big.

Now I am going to try to finish my drafting and get my bill sent out, then call and see if the kids want to go to the pool. So, I'd better get busy. Have a great day everybody!

Happy July!

Sylvia
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Janet: My DH is an antique dealer. He does one antique show a month (Scott's in Atlanta) and spends most of the month going to estate sales and antique malls. He can find the most incredible items because he has read every Kovel's and Miller's antique books for about 20 years and his parents had an antique shop in Roswell, GA for many years. The only problem is that things that don't sell end up in the basement or stuck in niches in the living/dining room. I love once a month seeing an empty dining room table.

Lisa: Your pics are amazing. You look so much younger when the weight comes off.

I am kind of frustrated! Had a cup of boiled yellow squash for lunch and trying to find the correct calorie count. It's all over the place going from 600 to 18.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I am premenopausal...nearly fully menopausal, so I know that has worked against me in my weight loss journey. I have been struggling with hot flashes, which makes sweating in exercise less appealing, but I'm hoping that if I become consistent, I will notice a reduction in the number and intensity of hot flashes. I also have been having back and sciatic pain off and on for the last few years, as well as either sesamoiditis or arthritis in my right foot. Of course my these pain issues have provided additional excuses for not consistently exercising. I'm finally going back to a chiropractor next week to hopefully get some answers and guidance as to the types of exercises to do as well as the types to avoid.
    Christina
    Welcome Christina!

Much of what you have said resonates with me as I've been through some of it. I went through menopause early (45 yo) and prior to that I went through many years of perimenopausal symptoms. The hot flashes/night sweats were life debilitating and I finally had to go on HRT to manage them. I also have back/sciatica issues that plague me no matter how much physical therapy and pain meds I take. And finally I have suffered through plantar faciaitis and metarlagia/sesamoiditis several times. So when I say I know what your're going through I mean it. It is all about management and being in tune with your body and and making adjustments to what you do for exercise. Hang in there and you will make it through this part of your aging process. Fortunately 10+ years post-menopausal I am off the HRT meds and only experience minimal hot flashes/night sweats. I finally have some control over my feet ailments using orthotics and taping measures. Losing weight has helped also as it is less pressure on my knees and feet. My back gives me twinges here and there so I try and rest on those days and move on the others. On top of this I was diagnosed with general arthritis...needless to say my mornings are stiff.
    Soldier on and stay the course with eating/exercising for overall health and fitness!

Cheri in Fairlawn, Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Lisa WTG!

Janetr what a fun way to use jewelry!

Terri we are cool today. I like it better than in 90's with 60% humidity. Hope wrist mends quickly.

Sylvia great job for standing firm!

Heather hope your selling resolves soon.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    HSDramamom wrote: »
    Thank you! I should try the bike today along with the weights. Have you ever done a cycling/spinning class? I'm afraid I'd die before it's over! LOL! When you swim, do you swim laps and for how long?
    No, I haven't done that (yet). I ride my bike a lot, and at the gym I just use their bikes as part of my routine. Haven't swum for a while, but when I do I swim laps or jog.

Cynthia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Got some of my "pile" sorted out. Have an envelope to send the solicitors and need to get to the Post Office tomorrow to get my drivers licence officially copied and stamped and signed. Prefer that to sending the real thing off in the post. I still have to get old documents on the leasehold and searches off by the end of the week, but DH is being patient with me while I go over and over lists of required documents. :bigsmile:

Dinner all prepped. Will take 5 mins now.

I've watered as much stuff in the garden as I can get round. Hottest day of the year. A record 35º+ at Wimbledon. Ouff! Not that bad here, but still HOT.! I'm hoping for thunderstorms tomorrow. The garden needs it. Will collect my prescription and buy bread from my favourite bakery, then get to the P.O. Going to write about the time when my brother and I used to go to Saturday Morning Pictures followed by ballroom dancing and Old Time dancing. I can still do the dances, even though I was only 9 years old when I learnt them. My brain was better then at retaining stuff! :laugh:

Love to all. You really help me keep on track.

Heather UK