WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mary – I understand you are VERY preoccupied with everything happening right now. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. I have RA, and the flare is bad in my right wrist this time. It is huge, swollen, stiff, and painful, and nothing really helps. Luckily I slept pretty good last night, because when I am well-rested I can handle the pain better, I just want to limit the wear-and-tear on that joint, because RA is my immune system attacking my joints, and I don’t want to ruin my wrist for the future. I don’t even know if a wrist replacement is a thing, but last time I saw my rheumatologist she said both knees and right thumb are ready for replacements. :(

For lunch today I had a cup of turkey pumpkin chili and I added about 1/4 cup of vegan meat crumbles. I have my snacks planned, so I can make it until after baseball and make a salad at home (unless DH goes to Taco Bell, I just can't turn down the chicken crunchwrap supreme). I was able to stand the wrist pain for 8 minutes on the hand bike, and the fitness expert cheered me on the whole time, then told me he was impressed at how long I lasted. I have been trying to NOT have my third cup of coffee after lunch, but I really want a nap right now, so I think I will have one today (as soon as this personal summer is finished).

Then, 1 more day and we start a 3-day weekend. Miller employees will not be working Friday - Sunday, so we get to close the clinic. Nobody has said much about last night's explosion, except that it was 6 blocks from our location and no one was hurt (VERY thankful for that ! ! !)

Almost every store around here has sales on watermelon and hamburger meat, so I plan on stocking up Friday since I don't have to work.

Okay, time to return to my job. Hope you are all able to make wise choices today.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks ladies so much for the nice comments on the jewelry tree. Like I said I made 24 year before last Christmas and couldn't look at doing anymore. When I showed the clerks at the dollar jewelry store pics of them they said bring one in and and they would sit it by the cash register with my phone number to take orders. I had done so many by then I didn't want to look at another one. I might make up a bunch and try selling, if I were smart I would start now, right? The problem with that is I never know what to charge, not only do you have the money you put into it for the materials, but also your time. How much is too much or too little? Ugh. I made one that I kept for myself out of old jewelry of my Mom's that she had given me years ago. Most of it is rhinestones so its full of bling and I'm definitely a blingy type of gal.

Lisa - your pics are so fun to see. I never think ahead that far to do something like that :) Thanks for sharing.

Pip - it it too hot and humid for me to walk outside right now but good idea about the pool. On the days I don't do water aerobics I could just walk. I have a treadmill here at home but it hurts my knees so badly to walk very fast on it. I had the right knee replaced in January and will have the left one done in Sept. I guess just moving on the treadmill a little more slowly is better than sitting here on my b*** :)

Enjoyed everyone's posts. What a busy group of ladies.

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June - Managed the menu planning and tweaked it a couple of times..did not post it on my fridge and hardly followed it at all.
    2. Eat 3 meals a day - Success on this one
    3. Log all meals - missed some of the meals last week while on holidays
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker
    W3:Pedicure and manicure, Tai Chi in the park. Bingo with my Aunt, Lunch with a friend
    W4:Trip with 2 of my favourite people (mom & dad) to visit 2 more of my favourite people (Aunt & Uncle)) - Really successful with this goal and really enjoyed it to boot.
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Completed and increased my time to 40 minutes for the last couple of weeks.

LisaH: So glad that you are seeing an end to the plateau. Your photos are amazing! fiesta.gif I have not been successful with that yet. Been having difficulty getting to the correct amount of protein even with protein drinks and protein bars.

Sorry I haven't have the time to respond to all the posts...catching up after being away for a few days is rather like drinking from a firehose! :smiley: I'm still exhausted from the drive home from Northern B.C. 12 hours on Tuesday and then 4 hours yesterday. I really enjoyed the trip but have to get ready for the family reunion this weekend (we have one every year).

Thought for the day: “At the end of the day, let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets.” ~ Steve Maraboli

July Goals:

1. Do menu planning for July - Increasing protein to 130g per day. Do one week at a time so that can adjust as I go.

2. Log all meals - try to pre-log to get a better handle on calories for the day

3.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week (I hope to increase this so that eventually I'll get to one thing daily)

4. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Lisa – Your goal “Weigh less than my husband by the end of July” made me laugh. Then it got me thinking. Weighing less than my DH might be a good thing for me as well. I don’t know what he weighs these days. I shall have to ask him. Most likely not a goal for July, but someday soon.

I lost 6.6 lbs. in June. Pretty darned good for a woman who gained 2.6 in the month of May.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• abliebowitz
    abliebowitz Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I need this challenge! I'm struggling so much with moving more, eating right and exercise. I work a lot so steps and planning are inconsistent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Goals:
    Lose at least 7lbs
    Consistently take 10,000 steps a day
    Eat whole and clean and make conscience decisions.
    Andrea
    Long Island, New York
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Well it is Wednesday morning, and the first of July already. Where is the year going?? My friend Lee called me first thing I got here this morning and she is not doing well. I am really concerned. Feel bad as I can not go over until I get off at 3. But I told her I would be there soon as I can. I just feel helpless. Thanks for listening.

Barbie--Thanks for keeping us going and for your support.

Chris--Good to hear your visit with your mom and friend went well. Sending prayers.

Allison--Glad the report is better then it sounded. Sounds like you are in for a good time with the cousins. Relax and have fun, you more then deserve it.

Carol--So glad to hear you are doing well and DD is being helpful.

Sylvia--Hope they can get your van fixed soon. Please take care and if the pains don't go away have it checked out, it could be from the accident.

Janetr--I have the flex fitbit and wear it all the time. Even swimming last year and never had any problems. Beautiful picture, that looks so much like Christmas.

yanniejannie--Sending hugs for you and your friend, Whatever kind of pet we have they have our hearts.

Joyce & Damit--We watch storage wars and pawn shop. They are so funny the things people will save or try and sell for a lot of money. And I agree the buyers are funny to watch.

Mary--Sending hugs, this waiting and getting it put off longer and longer is no fun.

We are having another hot day. I called my friend at lunch and she sounds like she has been crying all day. I get off in a little over an hour so will go over. I just wish I knew what to say or do. DH wants to ride the motorcycle out to Quaker State this evening as they have a bikers night. DGD works out there so will see what time I get home. Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    <3
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome Andrea !

Here's what works for me:
    I have people at work who remind me to get up, or stretch, or sit up straight, or whatever. Some people on this thread have mentioned setting an alarm to remind them to get up and move a little.

I sometimes have time on Saturday or Sunday to pre-cook some foods. Usually burgers, chicken, or fish on the Foreman Grill. Plus, the Crock Pot is my friend.

At least 1 day a week I stock up on fresh produce, based on who has the best sales. I like shopping alone, to get just what I want, so I'd rather spend 20 minutes 3 evenings a week instead of 1 hour with DH.

Anything that can be frozen will be frozen, because it's so easy to pull it out and thaw in the microwave. I especially like eggs for breakfast this way. Put 1 egg in each muffin tin hole with mushrooms and/or onions and/or turkey bacon, and bake until done (my oven at 350 takes about 10 minutes). Put 1 or 2 in a ziploc baggie, then pull out in the morning to heat and eat at work. Yogurt can be purchased on sale and frozen. I also keep deli meat in the freezer, because it lasts longer, and is easy to thaw to cut up on a salad for me, and on sandwiches for DS and DH. Yes, it has more salt, but at least it keeps the carbs away.

I don't know if any of this will work in your house, but I hope it at least gives you ideas to get started.

Vicki - Hugs for you and your friend. Your heart will tell you what to do or say once you get there.

Hugs ! Terri
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vicki GI NE wrote -" Janetr--I have the flex fitbit and wear it all the time. Even swimming last year and never had any problems. Beautiful picture, that looks so much like Christmas"

Thanks for the info on the Fitbit. Does it records your moves, etc. while swimming. I want one that will record my steps/movements during water aeorobics. Thanks also on the jewelry tree.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vicki GI NE – Sometimes just being there and giving a friend a hug while she cries is both all you can do and the best you can do.

Andrea Long Island, New York I do not think any of your goals are unrealistic. That being said, when I am really struggling setting an actual pound goal can set me up for failure. Sometimes I need to focus on the eating and exercise and let the pounds take care of themselves. When I don’t see the scale going down I will get discouraged and go off my eating plan. You know yourself the best and you may not have this problem. I’m just putting this out there for something to consider.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hi My friends. I just had to share this since so many of you are dog lovers:

BRUNO, THE ITALIAN FUNERAL DOG.

An Italian woman was leaving a convenience store with her espresso when she noticed a most unusual Italian funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery.

A black hearse was followed by a second black hearse about 50 feet behind the first one.

Behind the second hearse was a solitary Italian woman walking a dog on a leash.

Behind her, a short distance back, were about 200 women walking single file.

The woman couldn't stand the curiosity.

She respectfully approached the Italian woman walking the dog and said,

"I am so sorry for your loss, and this may be a bad time to disturb you, but I've never seen an Italian funeral like this.

Whose funeral is it?"
    "My husband's."

''What happened to him?”

"He yelled at me and my dog attacked and killed him.”

She inquired further, "But who is in the second hearse?”

The Italian woman answered, "My mother-in-law.

She was trying to help my husband when the dog turned on her.”

A very poignant and touching moment of Italian sisterhood and silence passed between the two women.

"Can I borrow the dog?”

The woman replied, "Get in line."

I hope it brought you a smile.rofl.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, C

• stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm brand new today. I'm really happy to have a group that I can touch base with and get motivation from since so much of dieting and exercise is a mental game with me. I'm fudging a bit by joining this thread since I'm 48 yrs. old, so please let me know if it's not okay to be a part of the 50+ group.

Decided July 1st was a great day to begin getting healthy again. I'm doing monthly goals and have a Jan. 1st goal that I would be very happy achieving. Trying to keep my weight and exercise goals realistic while still motivating enough to feel like it's moving along at a good pace. I've been a yo-yo dieter my whole life. Very thin to very fat many, many times over so I'm well versed on what I need to do. But struggle once I reach goal to keep it off and keep a healthy lifestyle going. I'm sure other's here can relate to what this is like.

I've gained a LOT of weight these past 2.5 years (almost 100 lbs - EEK!) and knew the day would come when I would finally decide to take control again since I've been keeping my head in the sand for far too long.

My July Goals:
    Log my food daily
    Log my exercise daily
    Exercise: 25 sets of stairs at home/day (I'm in AZ so I need to be inside during the heat of summer)
    Only weigh myself once a week on Wednesdays (I get obsessive about the scale when dieting so I need to be careful about weighing myself too often)
    Lose 10 lbs. this first month - should be doable since I usually lose a lot of water weight the first week

Here's to a successful July for all of us!!
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ - good one!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    miako- congrats on your weight loss!

ablie- drink water! and then drink more water!

stm712015 - ain't no thang, you have my blessing to stay.. you're almost on the dark side anyway. :0)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy July!
    barbie,thanks for keeping this going.
    been preoccupied with mom in the hospital and awful arthritis pain,must be all the rain,we`ve been getting.
    july goals-keep drinking my water,work on exercise I can tolerate,be grateful for God`s blessings.
    Hugs to u wonderful ladies.
    jane from Il
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sylvia - vacation sounds like a fun idea. It will take your mind off of all that has been going on lately. You deserve to relax and have a good time!

Vicki- I hope your friend feels better. I also love watching pawn stars and storage wars.

Terri - I like your egg pre-prep idea.

DJ - that was hysterical!

stm712015- you'll just be one of the young ones! What do you want us to call you?

Jane - I hope your mom feels better. And I hope your arthritis pain goes away. I have it a little and my hands act up. No idea what to do to make it better.

Mary from Minnesota
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good to know I can be a part of the group - thanks!

pipcd34 - heehee, I think I crossed over to the dark side a while ago.... more fun over here. ;)

fanncy0626 - oops, should have given my name: Sara from Arizona
  • CLF64
    CLF64 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

New here and glad to find this group. Still trying to figure out best approach but in general, my July goals are:

- sleep 7+ hrs per night
    - adequate water intake
    - clean and whole foods
    - move more weak day
    - buy fitness tracker ( any recommendations? ?)
    - practice gratitude

Happy July!

Cat in Georgia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cat, Sara - welcome! And to any others I've missed! Stick with us old timers and we'll show you a thing or two! :laugh:

Had another cheese mini binge tonight. :embarassed: Where's that cheese safe! ? ? ? ? ? ?

HOT here! Phew. Hope I'll sleep tonight. It's time I had a decent night. :s

The holiday money has arrived in the owner's bank account. One step closer to our December trip. :D

Jane - hope things improve for you. :flowerforyou: Sometimes my wrists ache a lot and just recently my hip is painful at night, though not in the day, strangely. Could be worse I suppose.

Waiting for rain in the UK. :ohwell: Heather x