Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello July!
      My goals for June were:
    1. Weigh my food and register my calories as consistently as possible
    2. Jog a total of 80 miles (three marathons)
    3. Play with the grandchildren when they visit

Complete success with goal 3! Fair success with goal 1. Goal 2 was a total washout, partly because of goal 3 :smiley:

July presents some tough challenges where weight loss is concerned. We'll be going to New Hampshire to visit family so all my routines will go overboard. It will be hectic, 6-12 people (albeit very nice people!) ranging in age from 3 to 90, all in one house. Sometimes I'll be in charge of cooking, and sometimes not. When my brother-in-law cooks it's a sore trial not overeating, because he's a wizard in the kitchen. My father likes to offer everyone a G&T on the porch before dinner and wine with dinner. And dessert. (I have no trouble refraining from the ice cream they sell in Norway, but put some Breyers mint chocolate chip in front of me and all is lost.) On the positive side, I'm usually pretty good about running at daybreak when we're there.

Against that backdrop, my goals for July will be slightly less ambitious. I doubt I can lose any weight. If I manage to stay at the same weight, I'll be happy. To do that, I will:
    1. Maintain my pound-a-day veggie habit
    2. Weigh and log food when I am cooking
    3. Exercise restraint when T is cooking
    4. Choose G&T or wine, not both, on any given day
    5. Exercise in some form every day
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Happy July!!!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Barbie <3
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Forgot to thank Barbie for the new thread last night........so.......Thank You, you are the best!

Bad night, awake a lot, lots of anxiety and sadness, an elderly friend is having her horse put down today. I saw him Monday, took some pictures of her with him and said good bye to him. Most people on here know that I'm not really a horse person, just through my DD, but this guy was truly something.......even I would get close to him out of his stall. Won many events in his day and just plain sweet.

Learned that Gin's widower had a fall and the family has him in a rehab place about an hour away. Wonder if he'll be back, such a nice man (who loves my ham and bean soup!). He was looking at retirement places near here, sure he doesn't want to be way out there.

Still doing errands and driving Goldy around; her son is not here, it was her DH I spoke with on the phone that I thought was her son come to help.........and her DH is pretty useless.

I got weighed toward the end of May; as of this am, I'm down 5 1/2 lbs. Decent, but I know it's the same 5 I lost and regained since Jan. Would still like to get another 15 off; difficult with vacation looming.

Carol........Great to see you!!! Wishes for quick complete healing and less pain.

So many stories, so many strong women who survived horrific lives and experiences. Kudos to you all!!!!! I did not have abuse in my home growing up but lived in what was called a "double" and my uncle verbally abused and beat my aunt and the walls were thin. I think it prepared me for what I would and wouldn't put up with. I married at 30 but had an engagement and several serious relationships who lasted varying amounts of time (up to four and a half yrs.) in my twenties and walked away from them. I guess the red flags were subconscious, but they must have been there. On the other hand, I knew my DH all of five months when we married in 1981. He's far from perfect but never ever verbally or physically abusive. The worst I can accuse him of is being antisocial and I think I do enough of that for two anyway.

One thing I've noticed with my own friends and on here..........not ONE woman who has left an abusive situation has ever said they were sorry they left..........only that they were sorry that they stayed so long. My friend who is getting divorced after 45yrs. is soooo worried about finances as he struts around saying she's getting nothing (and they are worth a lot). I tell her she's been listening to him for way too long........what she gets is not up to him, it's up to the courts.

Congrats to everyone who had a loss last month and belated Happy Birthdays to Renny and Alison. Off to water; rain all around us last night on radar and nary a drop here.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: I love your picture. Every time I look at it I have to rethink that it is part of a face. LOL

Penny: Sounds like your will be having fun with family in July. Just try not to overdo the food and not gain but don't worry about losing.

Joyce: Sounds like you are making it very special for your granddaughter's birthday. I know it will be a happy one.

Barbie: We are living in my in laws house and it's been 20 years. We were able to send a lot of the aunt's furniture and some antique pieces to auction. My DH had to divide the proceeds with his brother. Actually sold a piece to Sotheby's auction house. Most of the clutter is in a bonus room upstairs and in the basement. But, the clutter keeps growing as DH hunts for more merchandise each month.

Joyce: My mom's jewelry is more on the modern side. There are very few rhinestone pieces that would look lovely on a decoration. Someone I know took her MnL's jewels and decorated the top of a jewelry box with them.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Happy July to all!
    Thank you once again Barbie! o:)

I was awake from 1am until 5 am last night and then woke up at 6. 40. :( I am so tired I feel nauseous. I did do my exercises AND 900 words this morning, but the thought of going to pick up my blood pressure prescription in this heat is too much for me. One day without won't kill me I hope. :ohwell: I will try for a nap in a minute. My hip is uncomfortable in the night, but I know it's the rental sale that is getting to me! FORMS! FORMS! FORMS! I hate forms. Got to send them this and that! I'm not keen on sending my driver's license through the post. :sad: Maybe everything will look better when I've had more than 3 and a half hours sleep! Will get DH to hold my hand as I steer through the pile.

Still haven't heard if the holiday bank transfer has got through. :sad: Another worry in the night.

My June goals were:
    Sort out my pile of papers. DONE, but now I've got way more!
    Find 2 new areas of publicity for WINDOWS. Not done, but sold a few to friends.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. Getting better.
    Get on with my writing most days. DONE.
    Find floppy disk with old novel on and get it converted. FOUND and bought a drive which I haven't tested yet. :*

July is going to be:

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.
    Get to grips with admin for the rental sale.
    Lose my safety pound again.

Sooooooo tired, can't be more creative. :ohwell:

Love to all. Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am here but have still got a lot of reading to do from last month. I am sure I will catch up soon.
    Happy July everyone.
    Gillian, Suffolk UK

84029784.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Joyce in IN wrote - "Carol, I don't know if any of your Mom's costume jewelry is treasured by you or not but 2 years ago at Christmas my sister took Mom's costume jewelry, took all the little pieces apart and glued them onto an ornament.With the talent she had putting a ribbon on it and how to arrange the different pieces, it was a work of art. I found another box of Mom's things, put some of my own things in it and did the same thing this last Christmas for my girls. My youngest daughter doesn't put up a tree and the oldest daughter has a small tree that wouldn't hold the weight of the ornament so I made them to be put on a napkin ring as a base. So it can be put on a dresser, shelf, etc and be used year round."

Great idea. A year ago at Christmas I used costume jewelry and using hot glue gun made a Christmas tree shape on 8x12 fabric, framed them and gave to sisters, nieces, great- nieces and a couple dear friends. I made about 24 of them. The ornaments are a great idea.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :) Pip, wow, thinking of you riding your bike from where you live and getting to Deception Pass in time for lunch has me in awe...I am awed by your bike riding anyway.

:) Toward the end of my mother's life she expressed sadness for me that I had no siblings to share her care,etc. I thought it was great. I had Jake to help me and no siblings to disagree with what I did or to give me directions or after she died to haggle over her possessions. From where I am sitting I can see two wonderful items that were my grandparents' and one that was my parents' and I love them. They are among the few things that remain after many occasions of sorting and discarding.

:) As the days are beginning to get shorter here, I am cheered by knowing that the days are getting longer for Lesley in Tasmania.

<3 Barbie from beautiful and warm NW Washington
  • askewcr
    askewcr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I just found this site and am so excited to be a part of it. I have been in a yo-yo cycle for quite a few months and am ready to get down to the business of getting healthier.

July Goals:
    7000 steps daily
    Move this body daily for at least 30 minutes of exercise
    Go through clothes for Goodwill
    Log food daily

Happy July!!

B) Jean in Georgia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Above is one of the costume jewelry trees I made.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for continuing the thread. I always need to remind myself to click on the star to bookmark.

Kim way to think on your feet. Sounds delicious.

DJ loved the flush figure.

Lesley,YannieJannie, and Heather hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

July goals

1. Portion control
    2. Continue to sort, recycle, discard items that no longer serve us
    3. Take time to just sit in in my garden daily.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off MFP for the last couple of years, having had little success. I joined WW online in February when they were running their deal of lose 10 pounds in 2 months and get a refund on those 2 months' membership fee. I lost 11-12 pounds, but it took me until the beginning of June, so I didn't get to take advantage of their deal. I got lazy during June with my food journaling, so I remained stagnant for the month...better than gaining, at least!

I decided to drop the WW membership and try using MFP again. I saw this group and decided the accountability should help. I also was just able to join the YMCA that's just a few minutes from our house, so I'm excited about the additional fitness options I have now. I went to a great hour-long Yoga class on Monday and yesterday I went to an hour-long Yoga/Pilates class. I've enjoyed both for several years using DVDs and YouTube at home, but I think I'm going to be much more consistent having group classes to attend.

I am premenopausal...nearly fully menopausal, so I know that has worked against me in my weight loss journey. I have been struggling with hot flashes, which makes sweating in exercise less appealing, but I'm hoping that if I become consistent, I will notice a reduction in the number and intensity of hot flashes. I also have been having back and sciatic pain off and on for the last few years, as well as either sesamoiditis or arthritis in my right foot. Of course my these pain issues have provided additional excuses for not consistently exercising. I'm finally going back to a chiropractor next week to hopefully get some answers and guidance as to the types of exercises to do as well as the types to avoid.

July Goals:

Log food daily
    Attend 3-4 Fitness classes at the YMCA each week
    Walk for at least 30 minutes at a moderate to fast rate 4-5 times per week
    Lose 5 pounds by August 1

Thanks for reading and letting me join this group!

Christina

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!

Unbelievable ... I forgot to weigh myself this morning! So not sure where weight loss stands for June. Wasn't much, that I'm sure of.

Carol, NC ... Keep healing!

Will post goals later.

Beth in soggy, cold WNY
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Janetr - That is lovely!!

I'm missing my morning "sit" on the patio because it is still dripping wet from last night's storms. However, I did go out front and walk down the sidewalk and back. I have to remember to stroll instead of attempting to walk at my normal speed--the bouncing hurts. :confused:

My daughter is making blueberries pancakes for breakfast with the fresh blueberries from yesterday's produce box. Yum!! I haven't had pancakes in forever!!

Today's challenge is to change into fresh clothes. I'm not planning to shower until tomorrow, but I'm ready to get out of the PBJ stained shirt I'm wearing. My morphine prescription is almost empty so I'm lengthening the time between doses.

Oops! Pancakes ready! Catch y'all later.

Carol in NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie, for a clean slate. Last months goals were a wash with the girls' parents showing up and having to flee, being away from home half the month. And my stress level is still high since the parents are still here, just not causing problems at the moment. So this month's goals are a repeat of last month! I will cut and paste them later.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sue- When I was stationed on Whidbey Island I lived about 5 miles from Deception Pass. It is a very beautiful area.
    I miss the area.

gayle
    Idaho
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    JanetR: Very pretty and creative. :)
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Janet - I love the tree. I am not creative enough to do that!