WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Heather, I feel the same way as your husband about some types of wildflowers, especially the ones that wilt or lose their petals by the end of the day (buttercups, wild carrots).

An indulgence I allow myself is to pick a single wild orchid every summer. I have a gorgous orchid vase to display it in, and the blossoms last a week or ten days, especially if I put the vase in the fridge every evening. The orchid is of a species that grows thick on the ground here so I don't feel too bad about picking one. It doesn't smell, though.

Which brings us back to your sweet-pea scented home. I must admit to a bit of sweet-peaness envy...
    (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! We got a lot done at our house yesterday. We didn't rip the carpet out yet. My DH changed locks on 3 of our doors so far. We will rip the carpet out today. My DH is going to join me in my weight loss journey. He needs to lose around 40 pounds. I will hook him up on MFP. I hope it will be easier when we are working together. My USA friends I hope you have a fun and safe 4th of July!

Becca- great pictures! Love your view and you and your husband look great!

Kim - your goal of doing fun things is something I am going to adopt. Great idea!

Penny- the flowers are beautiful! I noticed in the background the wood walls. The house we are buying is from a lady born in Finland. She completely remodeled it with wood throughout. Including the ceilings. Is that common in that area?

Pip- enjoy your walk! Great picture of you two! Now that is the way to pack!

Heather- very sexy! Especially the hut story!

Rosie- congratulations on your weight loss!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    001_zpsz2l1cosp.jpg
    my view on my river walk...looking across to Washington State.

That looks like Ruston way where I am
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Annr - loving the blue, blue river and your younger selves. :love: Somewhere I have a photo of me in Spiderwoman, but I would have to censor it! :laugh:

DJ - you certainly whipped me into doing my leasehold info form. I spent about an hour collecting all the certificates, invoices etc that I needed and the pile is now in a stamped large envelope. DH is going to drive me to the P.O. this afternoon to post it as it won't go through our local box apertures. (Parking is a nightmare on Saturday in town, hence the lift) Thank you for the prod. I see you are becoming my conscience. o:)>:)

Just waiting for my delivery. I bought some duck eggs yesterday so I am going to poach one each for lunch and have with lean bacon and a singed tomato. :D

Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! We got a lot done at our house yesterday. We didn't rip the carpet out yet. My DH changed locks on 3 of our doors so far. We will rip the carpet out today. My DH is going to join me in my weight loss journey. He needs to lose around 40 pounds. I will hook him up on MFP. I hope it will be easier when we are working together. My USA friends I hope you have a fun and safe 4th of July!

Penny- the flowers are beautiful! I noticed in the background the wood walls. The house we are buying is from a lady born in Finland. She completely remodeled it with wood throughout. Including the ceilings. Is that common in that area?
    Mary — Congratulations on recruiting an in-house ally in your fitness struggle! I wish I could get my husband to exercise a bit more. I think just walking to and from work instead of driving would improve his health and stamina. It's eminently doable too! Takes less than 15 minutes to get there on foot. (More coming home because of the hill.)

I hope you have some kind of mask to wear when you rip up that carpet. I did something similar unprotected once and ended up with a severely irritated upper respiratory tract. I didn't recover for nearly a month.

Concerning wood walls, yes, that is common in Scandinavia, and especially in rustic Norwegian country cottages. When my husband and I were looking to buy a holiday home we went all over northern Norway, searching for the perfect cottage. Darn near all of them had "Norwegian wood" walls. It practically drove me crazy! But when we gave up on finding the perfect cottage, and instead purchased the perfect lot and designed and built our own house, the wood walls were so gorgeous we left them that way. The wood will darken over the years and we may eventually paint it, but not just yet.

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    To Heather - Which brings us back to your sweet-pea scented home. I must admit to a bit of sweet-peaness envy...(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Penny - From another punster... I find them irresistible myself. It's a sickness, you know. :wink: No cure, either. Made me laugh this morning!

Just waiting for the sunrise, so I can see the elk, deer, rabbits and other critters on the way off the ranch. Headed for town for the 5K race this morning. My little car would not win a tussle with an elk!

Just to light up your morning, a couple pics - An elk bull still in velvet a month back, guarding his ladies, and the sunrise from another morning, taken from just outside the fence around my house...

4vfmilk4yamt.jpg
    d9qsvqgnlvq3.jpg

• pipcd34
    Options
    At the airport peeps!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :) Sue, now in WA....I understand your frustration at the former owners not getting all their stuff out...when we moved into our five acres in Northern California we found a lot of debris including all the hoses and other evidence that the former owners had been growing pot down by the trees and the creek.

:) Becca, great river picture. We came through your town and crossed your river on our drive up the Oregon coast in May....it was beautiful.

:) Pip, have fun

:) Our plan for Independence Day is to stay home. I have the DVR programmed to record two programs with fireworks tonight (we'll watch them tomorrow afternoon). We will head to bed with the pets at our usual 7:30 PM so we'll all be asleep before any fireworks start. They aren't allowed in our neighborhood so the nearest ones will be a bit of a distance away.

<3 Be safe today.

<3 Barbie
    1345137zs6krbc9y7.gif
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    New laptop arrived today....Now I just have to acclimate myself on using it!

Oh, I absolutely LOVE my new HP laptop. It is large enough to feel like I am not blind trying to read the screen and the keyboard is so much easier to keep than my old one. I know that the keyboard is supposedly the same size; but with a little space between the keys I can type on it like I do my desktop. Got a little lap thingy with a fan on it so that I won't burn it up like did my last one. What kind of 'new' laptop did you get?
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies, And Happy Fourth of July to Americans.

Beth
    , bday.gif I’ll bet your cake colors are often red, white and blue. I hope it’s a special one. Yes yo yo’s are fine as long as they always go down farther than they go up. And thank you for your kind words. cheekkiss.gif I just love all you guys, so much.

Katla, I love your treadmill. Makes me want to go for a jog. Lol too cute!

Becca, what a happy young couple in that pic. Thanks for sharing.

Penny,
    I think your flowers are beautiful. About the only wild flowers around here are dandelions. *sneeze, sneeze*

Rosie, A big Phat Chat Congrats on that weight loss. Woo hoo is right. Keep it up, ah ah, I mean going down.

Pip, ya’ll are too darn cute. You even have matching luggage. Have a marvelous time and enjoy that heat!!!

Heather, thanks for sharing your little strips of cloth that you hussies used to wear. Lol Gosh I remember the days of two piece suits. Ahhhhhhhhhh But ya know, I wouldn’t go back to that age unless I could know what I know now. I’m so proud of you!!! Now don’t you feel better that all that paperwork is done and you don’t have to give it another thought? I just love to mark things off my to do list. Now go forth and enjoy life. (((Hugs)))
    Mary, I’m just happy that things are moving along. That is a very good suggestion that Penny gave you for when removing the carpet. An ounce of prevention, ya know.

Lisa, great pictures. I love wildlife right outside the door. Too cool.

Barbie
    , fireworks aren’t allowed in our neighborhood either, but we have had them every year for the past 8. At least some of the worst offenders have moved away so it might not be as bad this year. I hope you sleep well.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We are off to the beach shortly. The rain should stay away so expecting a great day.

I wish all my American friends a wonderful Fourth of July. Be safe and eat healthy.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's posts, but cannot possibly respond to everyone like some of the other wonderful women here. Just know that I support all of you and love your photos!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I'm very discouraged this morning, I was up 1.5# on the scale. This was my best week of staying on track food wise and way exceeded my exercise time. I can definitely tell a difference in my clothes, and a few people have commented they could see it. Unfortunately, I did not take my measurements so have nothing to compare with. I'll just hang in there and keep on keeping on.

On a better note, we will drive down to Jack Jr's house, about 75 miles, later today for a barbecue and fireworks. They have several acres in the country. Have a fun and safe fourth, all.

Janetr OKC
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Love the photos of the elks.

Raining here for the 3rd day in a row. But, it didn't stop the Peachtree Road Race in which the news said there would be 60,000 runners. DS has to work so we all got together and had a pizza party last night. The Pom will be sleeping with us tonight due to the fireworks as he did the same last night.

Everyone have a safe holiday and enjoy.

Carol ~ Peach
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Pip- Good grief! I had to go back to page 9 to see that swim suit everybody was talking about. It's so cute! And so little! I bet you look great in it!

Yesterday it was raining, so I grabbed my bag of outdoor toys, picked up the kids and went to the Y to play in the gym for a while. It was raining so hard on the way there that I had to pull over for a while. Once we got there we found out that the ceiling was leaking over one of the basketball courts, so nobody could use that one. The other one was dry but there were people using most of it. We managed to find space in the margins of the room to shoot a few baskets, then play badminton, some other kind of game with curved scoop-like things that catch a wiffle ball, and I played some catch with the little guy. Then we went in the lobby and had a pudding cup and water bottles which I brought from home. So, the kids got out of the house for a couple of hours.

Last night hubby and I went to Joplin to do some shopping. Paper goods, strawberries and lemonade at Sams club, along with printing off some photos from our trip to Spain. Then to Penneys to return some window blinds that didn't fit. While we were there I stopped to look at a blue bracelet I've been longing for. It was $30, which I don't pay for junk jewelry (ok, I don't really buy ANY jewelry) but it was on sale for 40% off. So hubby said I could get it for my birthday. At the register I found I had $10 in rewards points I could use, plus they had a coupon for 20% off. So, I walked out with my pretty blue bracelet for $4.74! I was just about giddy! He says I have to put it away till my birthday (the 27th). Yeah. Like that's going to happen. I'm really tickled that I can even wear it. Two years ago it would not have fit my wrist. I had rolls of fat around my wrist!

Today DS and the grands are coming over for a cookout, so I've got a lot to do. Better get started. Have a great day, everyone!

Sylvia
  • Lagopus
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JanetR, I sympathize with you on the weight increase smiley-angry023.gif but remember that's just weight on the scales. It doesn't count! happyno.gif I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'll repeat anyway: upping your exercise often increases your weight. When your muscles have recovered from the shock, the extra pounds will go away again. smiley-greet025.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,828 Member
    Options
    There is no way I can catch up on everything..I am sitting outside a convienence store that has WiFi..
    I slept horrible last night...fireworks are legal here in N.H.so they were blasting them of till after midnight.I am planning on going to the loon center then to my aunts house to send part of the day with them,then go back and have dinner with my brother,lobster....then I will be driving home.will probably get home 11-12 ,then I will have all of Sunday to do stuff around the house...
    My brother cannot handle taking care of MIL,he argues and fights with her constantly,she has dementia and starting of ahslimers (sp) he was screaming at me to shut the f up as I don't know what he is going through what he has to do everyday..
    But I do,I deal with DFIL almost everyday...
    Overcast and cloudy but still nice...will check in later if I can.hope you are all enjoying your weekend.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love reading everyone's posts, but cannot possibly respond to everyone like some of the other wonderful women here. Just know that I support all of you and love your photos!

Happy 4th of July! Everyone enjoy and stay safe!

I agree with Miriam! I am so blessed to have found this place of support. My husband asks what I'm up too on here and I respond "chatting with my peeps". He is glad I have a place of support that is not costing him any money. lol :)

Someone asked about noting my husband's positive attributes and I appreciate her directing my attention in that direction. This is what I know: he deeply loves me, he is my greatest supporter, he is so very intelligent, he is a supportive and hands on dad, he is a guru with money (spendthrift, cheap, miserly) call it what you may but we have never struggled financially, and last but not least he is funny and makes me laugh daily with his impish, I never want to grow up attitude!

Quite stressful now as he is interviewing for a new job. It would me another move. Another reason to purge and simplify our 30+ years of life's material things. The waiting to hear back after interviews is angst ridden but there hopefully will be a new rainbow for us soon.

Staying the course with my eating and exercise through this stressful time. It gives me a routine, a constant in times of uncertainty. Not using stress as an excuse this time around.

Thanks so much for listening and letting me share my journey with you.

Before I head into today some thoughts:

*The flower pictures are beautiful. I love flowers. Mother nature is smiling at us through those beautiful creations of hers.
    *Those of you wearing the teeny tiniest of pieces of cloth (now or before) kudos to you. Back in the day I did wear those 2 pieces.
    *Happy birthday to all celebrating this week.

Take on this day with purpose and pleasure,

Cheri in sunny NE Ohio

October 16, 1983

kkl6961cc0ff.jpg

Top.jpg 83.9K
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,101 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Beth :flowerforyou:

Becca gorgeous view. Cute pic of you and DH.

Penny love the flowers and bird story.

Lisa love the nature pictures.

Pip looks like you are having a great time.

My MIL had Alzheimer's too. As you know it is not an easy disease to live with or to care for those who have it. 24/7 stress. Prayers for your family.

Cheri good luck to DH in job search.

Happy 4th of July! Enjoy however you celebrate.

:heart: MnMargaret