WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• hale0610
    hale0610 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I'm here and July will be really just keeping on with June goals, I have been at it now 3 1/2 weeks and lost 8 lbs. Unfortunately I feel like I need to kick it up a notch and not sure where to go with that. More moving would be the answer and I'm not sure how to get that in. Absolutely thrilled that I found this group. Such inspiration and encouragement. Exactly where I need to be :)

Does anyone have any personal experience with the "waterproof" Fit Bit?

July Goals:
    lose 2 lbs per week
    go to water aerobics at least 3 x a week
    keep carbs low and protein high

• hale0610
    hale0610 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same goals. Nursing a torn tendon so the water is my only option and I love the pool. I need to find more protein and less carb ideas. Any suggestions for protein lunch on the go?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth: Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

Pip: Enjoy your time in Vegas! :bigsmile:

Heather: I love the photo! Back in the day you were much more bold than I was. :blush: We did visit a hot springs in the mountains with friends where we all soaked ourselves in the buff. That was before kids came along. It was a hike in, hike out location on state owned land. There was an earthquake in that general vicinity a few years ago. I have no idea whether the hot springs were affected. the memories are good ones. :heart:

Penny: The Arctic wildflowers are gorgeous! :heart:

Lisa: I love the photo of elk. We have deer that appear in our neighborhood, and are occasionally seen on our lawn, but the elk don’t venture into town. There is a beach town on the Oregon coast a few miles south of AnnR that has been invaded by a herd of elk. They roam all over town and enjoying eating the landscaping at the golf club and in people’s yards. I’ve seen pictures of them swimming in the surf for fun on a PBS program called Oregon Field Guide. I’m sure that episode is available for online viewing. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: We share a birthday month! I’m 7 days ahead of you. DD and DS are also July babies. :flowerforyou:

There will be a lot going on in town today, including a run, oil drum painting competition in the park, and fireworks. I’ll probably walk down to the park to see the artists at work. Some people grumble about them, but the results are put to work as trash receptacles in parks all over town. It is 6:53 am and already over 80F. I hope the runners and walkers will have plenty of water with them.

Happy Independence Day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :) Cheri, I love your list about your hubby's positive attributes. One day I got a ride from a friend who told me how her husband had washed and detailed her car for the occasion and I thought wistfully about how I wished I had a husband who did that and then I remembered what a bigoted, selfish, show-off her husband was and immediately remembered my hubby's good qualities and then the clean car didn't seem like such a good bargain.

:) Also, I adore all of you and appreciate those who respond to everyone, but I just do my best to read and respond to a few posts and not kick myself for not being better.

<3 Barbie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    JanetR, I sympathize with you on the weight increase smiley-angry023.gif but remember that's just weight on the scales. It doesn't count! happyno.gif I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'll repeat anyway: upping your exercise often increases your weight. When your muscles have recovered from the shock, the extra pounds will go away again. smiley-greet025.gif

Thanks and I know that's true. So I'm feeling better. I know I'm doing what I need to do. I should throw that nasty scale out the window. :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    There is no way I can catch up on everything..I am sitting outside a convienence store that has WiFi..
    I slept horrible last night...fireworks are legal here in N.H.so they were blasting them of till after midnight.I am planning on going to the loon center then to my aunts house to send part of the day with them,then go back and have dinner with my brother,lobster....then I will be driving home.will probably get home 11-12 ,then I will have all of Sunday to do stuff around the house...
    My brother cannot handle taking care of MIL,he argues and fights with her constantly,she has dementia and starting of ahslimers (sp) he was screaming at me to shut the f up as I don't know what he is going through what he has to do everyday..
    But I do,I deal with DFIL almost everyday...
    Overcast and cloudy but still nice...will check in later if I can.hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

Hang in there. Being a "care giver" is very taxing indeed. They have support groups for care givers and it truly takes a lot of emotional stamina. I believe women are better care givers naturally than men. Dementia can be so frustrating and hard to deal with but getting mad at them is the last thing they need. I can't imagine how horrible it is for the person with dementia to suffer thru their life now. You're good hearted. Take care of you. (((((Hugs)))))
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Today being feed by the city.... Free breakfast at community center, free lunch from the Firemen of the city, and free dinner by the church up the street. Nope I shall NOT log today. Just relax, and drink the sense of community in... Enjoy the people you are with on this 4th of July weekend :-)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    hale0610 wrote: »
    I have the same goals. Nursing a torn tendon so the water is my only option and I love the pool. I need to find more protein and less carb ideas. Any suggestions for protein lunch on the go?

I have discovered P3 snacks. They come in a small grab and go package, they have cheese, cubes of turkey, chicken or ham and nuts, peanuts, cashews or almonds. The have around 150 cal. and 15 g. protein, I think. I don't have one to check right now. Also canned chicken if you make it up the night before to a chicken salad. I eat a lot of the Starkist Tuna Creations that come in the little envelopes loaded with protein with from 80-110 cal. depending on the flavor you pick. I put them on top of a little greenery with some yogurt dressing and enjoy it.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Im UP 2 lbs from Wednesday...Drinking all this WATER!!!!
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    All the ladies that are saying they are up on the LBs this week, this is one of the reasons why I chose to only weigh myself once every month. If I fluctuate during the month so be it so long as by the end of the month I have lost over 4lbs Im happy. Today has not been a good food day. I feel like Im constantly eating. But then again I know why, I didnt get much sleep and have been arguing with "he who is always right". Even though hes miles and miles away, he can be a pain in my butt. I still love him I just wish he would get rid of some of his bad habits like putting me down when we disagree about English and its usage. I know its hard on both of us because we are apart at the moment but there are times he needs to learn its not acceptable and I put my foot down to say so. Im still within my 1lb limit of 1500 calories but I would rather be under the 1350.

Happy 4th to the US people, although Im not sure its good to say as a UK person since its independence from us lol. I love fireworks, we have them every Guy Fawkes day (5th November). We can only buy them from the last 2 weeks in October supposedly but you can hear them for a while.
    I love seeing all the beautiful flowers and pictures of the scenery you guys have. Such stunning pictures.
    Kate
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    Landed in Vegas! Not off of the plane yet
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th, America! My kids had other plans for the day, so hubby and I bought a couple of very expensive steaks to put on the grill. Son #2 broke down on his way to work this morning needing mom to pick him up and deliver. Now, with no car, he will be coming home for BBQ tonight. And, son's girlfriend, who was planning to go with him to the previous party, will be coming here too! AND, son #1 called and said he was leaving the wedding he was at and coming over here this afternoon. Quick change of plans....thawing ribs and burgers, made up some cole slaw and 3 bean salads, baked a cake....happy to have a full house even if it means I have to share my steak!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    6qos7sdm2otx.jpg
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Pip - soooooooooooo jealous I need a good get-a-way weekend :) Glad your there and going at it !
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I'm very discouraged this morning, I was up 1.5# on the scale. This was my best week of staying on track food wise and way exceeded my exercise time. I can definitely tell a difference in my clothes, and a few people have commented they could see it. Unfortunately, I did not take my measurements so have nothing to compare with. I'll just hang in there and keep on keeping on.

Janetr OKC

Hey Janet - Go ahead and take your measurements now. You know you want to >:)

Going swimming today. I find it so relaxing and it cools me off on these hot summer days. I don't wear my Fitbit in the pool ever because as someone mentioned water resistant and water proof are very different things.

Later It's off with the family to a BBQ at my DS and DBIL's home. I'm bringing a cucumber tomato salad with a dill vinegarette and capers. Tonight we'll watch fireworks right from her yard; no logistics to deal with and no crowds- nice!!! Off to Vegas with DD tomorrow. It's probably 110 degrees up there :s Hope you all have a terrific day.

Rosie in So Cal
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    . In walla walla wa with the in laws. There will be tons of food. I am going to just maintain control of portions. This town is very foodie. We will go to the park and listen to the bands. They also have a ton of booths with all kinds of food and crafts. Dmil scales has me down by 3.5 lbs then my scale at home. I just hope to keep it the same weight when we leave tomorrow. Will do lots of walking at the park.

Good luck to all over this holiday weekend
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    Options
    Oh my word! ! ! ! Just got the first pic of DS#2's new kitchen extension and garden. This is a London house, so every inch of garden is precious. They will have a garden table on the top level where the white concrete bench is.
    I was VERY disapproving of the expense of doing all this, borrowing money etc, but it looks terrific. She has put the artificial tulips I bought her on the table. What a tactful DDIL! ! ! ! <3

Heather, proud mum and mother in law in UK :laugh: uqsbkpj0lxa1.png
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Stunning, Heather! Clean lines and a color scheme that is both urban and restful. Did they design it themselves or have help from a professional?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Although I'm not having a bad day, I'm not quite having a good day, either. I feel really tired and there is no real reason for that unless my body is tired from healing? I was feeling pretty good yesterday and had decided to go to church tomorrow. Then, I turned around and, in the process, very lightly caught my sling on something. The pain took my breath! Now I'm terrified to think about going out into public where someone might bump my arm. :cold_sweat: My arm/shoulder hurt for the remainder of the day. So, I think the 'feeling bad' might be pure depression.

I'm finally having success in sleeping at night! I figured out a close-to-normal sleeping position on the couch then added in-ear headphones with my babbling brook cd playing through my iPod. The headphones cut way down on the random noises from the fridge, A/C, etc. and I am sleeping for 7-8 hours per night with interruptions for potty breaks.

The mornings I've spent on my patio this past week have been so wonderful. I'm trying to figure out a way to cover my glider so that it won't get wet when we have night time rains. I may send my daughter somewhere to see if she can pick up a small tarp that I can remove with one hand.

It's time for a late lunch (daughter is going to dinner with her dad and is to bring me something back for a late dinner) and then I think I will color in my grownup coloring book for a while.

Happy 4th!

Carol in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Carol - don't fret about the odd blah day. I think it is very much par for the course in your healing. It takes a great deal out of you. <3:flowerforyou:

Penny - They had the garden designed at vast expense :grumble: but the kitchen was a lot of discussion between the two of them and the builder they had previously used for the loft extension. (The whole thing makes me blench at the expense and upheaval) They have been very intrepid at living with the utter chaos - dust, no power, rooms full of stuff. I did a similar thing at the same age and with two children so I feared for them as I found it hell. We did it ourselves with no money and I had a stillbirth in the middle of it, so it was a nightmare. Took three years. Of HELL. Theirs has been much quicker.
    I know that in five minutes it will be back to the usual chaos of two young children and mess, but it's lovely to see it looking pristine for a change. My son nor DDIL are the best housekeepers, but my son is a gourmet cook and a wine expert! ! ! ! ! The table and benches were handmade in Cornwall to order. (!) The top is walnut. A whole different life to the one we lead. :ohwell: But I am proud of them for going for what they want. :love:

Heather UK