WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning my friends,

Sylvia, I’m glad your fall wasn’t worse! And congrats on your NSV of getting up by yourself. People that have never had the problem don’t realize what it is like to be in that position. Isn’t it wonderful what losing a few pounds can do? oh.gifTake care of yourself and tell those dogs to take it easy.

Michele NC, you and Vince have been in my thoughts and prayers. I’m glad he got to come home and sleep in his own bed. Yes, I do believe you are obsessed, too. With all you have going on, you haven’t let up on your exercise. cheer.gif Very impressive!!! Take care of you and Vince. ((((Hugs))))

Joyce, I’m glad that was a typo on the meds. I think $1300 is outrageous enough. When Charlie told you that he can do things for himself, was he complaining or simply stating a fact? It is often curious how we come to have our assigned jobs in a relationship; like one of us makes the phone calls or appointments and reservations, etc. I’m sure your song in church will be beautiful.

Renny
    , getting private time with the grands is a win win for all concerned. You enjoy that time and I do hope you all slept well last night.

Carol NC, my heart goes out to you that you have the kids there and not sure you can afford the food for them. smiley-sad040.gif The last thing you need is extra stress right now. Sending good thoughts for everything to work out. (((Hugs)))

Heather, the pic of your DGS is darling. Is a graduation gift required for such occasions? That Spinach and Feta Pie sounds yummy. I might have to check it out. You enjoy your day.

D,
    so sorry about your son. I know that has to weigh heavily on your mind. Does he live with you? Just to be sure to take care of you, while taking care of him.

Carol, I am happy that I don’t like shell fish, just because of the cost. Lol Good for you on the score of vintage jewelry.

Lillian, well I was thinking that you needed a swift kick, but I don’t want our friends here to think I enjoy kicking my friends. You know that I only do it out of love so here goes. For heaven’s sake, Lil, Back Away From The Cake!!! You know it will only give you a moment’s satisfaction and cause much more harm than pleasure. Get a Grip On Yourself!!! Turn around an bend slightly at the waist: smiley-devil16.gif Now don’t make me do that again. Straighten up and do what’s right for yourself. You can do this!! You know I’m going to beat you this month and then you will owe me $10,000. Or was it $100,000? I do hope today is a better day.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Yesterday was exhausting for me with an all-day seminar. I slept well last night but getting a slow start this morning. I hope you all have a wonderful day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Thank you for the kick. And I thought it was $10.00. Lol...
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    DJ in Myrtle Beach – I found your list of reasons losing weight is worth it fascinating. Add #8 No longer need BP meds or meds to control Blood Sugar and my list will read the same as yours. I hadn’t thought much about it, but even # 3 is on my list. My hands used to shake for no apparent reason and I haven’t noticed them shaking in quite a while. I wonder what that was about and how it relates to the weight loss. Do you have a clue for yourself?

Hmmm. Perhaps writing out my own list and posting it in the kitchen for those days when I want to “eat the world” could provide some “ride it out” motivation. Thanks for posting that list. You never know when your words are going to resonate with someone.

OK. Even without commenting on everyone’s posts it is going to take me some time to catch up after not being on-line this weekend. I’ve just hit the end of page 45 so I think I will post my comments as I finish a page.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    Herons are for you Alison from garden tour
    ehdrwsehdgcx.jpg

This is how I like to see a rabbit. Reminds me haven't heard much from Penny lately.
    wi3xfukusyk3.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I agree, boundaries are the key to a happy life. Most emotional difficulties are caused by not having strong boundaries. I used to be a mess with mine, but I am learning and have got much better. It takes guts and self respect to stand your ground and know what you need to live a healthy and fulfilled life. I have learnt a lot from my DDIL. The way people respect her is quite an eye opener. And she is so charming with it! ! ! ! I used to have a Principal of a college who was the same way. I studied her a lot. I also worked with a theatre director who had it. For me it is a daily struggle, but I am improving. I will never have their charisma, but I know it when I see it. <3

Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Heather I agree.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I think I have some very heavy panties. Or possibly my bathroom scales are on the blink. This morning I weighed in my underwear and it said 174.2. I removed the underwear and it said 173.0. 1.2 pounds for underwear. Maybe I should switch to nylon instead of cotton.

Sylvia

Hahaha...Sylvia. You crack me up. This made me laugh.

I came on this quote by Fr. Alfred D'Souza today: "For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid, then life would begin.
    At last it dawned upon me that these obstacles were my life"

Madness Monday or Mindfulness Monday, have a great day, lovely ladies.

<3 Renny
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Gayle ,Mpls, mn. Enjoy all the chats!!!! I have such respect for you all ! Just started, haven't weighed myself, too afraid . I'm 65 semi retired, married 41 yrs the 27th. Have lots to lose, 200 lbs. I just finished iop at the Emily house, intense Addictive food rehab. Now have the tools, just have to use them!!! Have to stay mindfull, sometimes I don't want to. Need to have knees replaced, won't guarantee it will work due to my weight. Keep on chatting!!! Gayle
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    pip - keep taking it slow and easy, time is the best healer for your head. i was run over by an auto biking few years ago, brain was on slow motion for months (sometimes i think it still is) but you will improve!
    doglady - wow and wow again, wonderful job. right about the lifestyle change.

logged what have already eaten this am and am over 500 cal. Heal thyself!
    dH is again job hunting and b**ching about everything in sight. for some reason, my making green blender drinks has become a frequent complaint by him.
    that spinach & feta pie sure sounds good. going to look it up :smile:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Well I got on the scale this morning and was up 2 # again. I keep going up and down with the same two lbs for the last three weeks. I saw the bariatric surgeon this morning. I was .7 lbs less than six months ago. I was pretty disappointed. I've never exercised this much in my life. He gave me a high five and said I was doing terrific. He said just remind yourself of how far you have come and that you are now off of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds. Not to mention 120 lbs.lighter. he said to just keep on doing what I'm doing. I think I need to stay off the nasty scale for a while.

Missed water aerobics this morning due to doc appointment so will ride stationary bike for an hour this afternoon. Stopped at grocery store on the way home from appointment and now working on laundry.

Hot and humid here :(
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Crazydoglady – Congrats on the loss. You look marvelous ! ! ! (beautiful bride a flower girl, too).

Barbie – thanks for the link to the podcast. I should have time this week to get it to my phone (right now I sent it to myself to my home e-mail).

Joyce – I like waxing for hair removal. I have been doing it on different body parts for decades, so almost all my hair is downy-soft. The benefit is that is comes in finer and lighter every time you wax. The disadvantage is that if you don’t pull your skin tight enough it will hurt (if you pull your skin tight it will only sting). Also, avoid wrinkle cream 1-2 days before and after waxing. If it is only a few hairs, I pluck them after a shower.

Lisa – Yuck ! While I know firsthand how difficult it is to keep a restaurant clean, the pictures you showed are disgusting. While DH and I ran our restaurant, he was in charge of the cooks and kitchen, while I took care of the waitresses, bartenders, and Personnel in general (he’s not much of a communicator). I wish you luck in this current challenge. Keep doing your best to take care of yourself.

Sylvia – You and your “heavy panties” made me laugh out loud at work (it's okay though, because they all think I'm crazy already). Congrats on the evil ex. I’m proud of you for staying calm during such a difficult time.

DJ – I am being very careful how I word things regarding DH and his health attempts. Just having him in the Fitness Center is a good start. Now, if I can get him to cut back a little on the white carbs, we can get these babysteps started. I’m guessing that since both him Mom and Dad have/had Diabetes and never did anything to help it, he will be the same, so I’ll just make sure he keeps up with his life insurance (lol).

Betty – my DD has PCOS. She is also no less than 100 pounds overweight, and very rarely cares to do anything about it. She has a MFP account, and a FitBit, but is constantly getting ill or injured. I keep trying to explain, without being too motherly or preach-y, that tracking her food could help her see where she needs to increase or decrease some nutrients, but she just keeps making excuses, so she is obviously not ready. Right now she claims she broke her foot, even though she had no injury, and won’t see the doctor, so I suggested shoe inserts and massage with frozen water bottle. Next week it will probably be an abdominal hernia, but she will never have the surgery. I hope you have better luck ! ! ! // I have to agree with Heather at this time, because WW is stricter and calculates everything for a person (they still do it that way, right?). Or even the pre-packaged frozen meals? Probably way too much salt, but at least scanning the barcode into their phone would keep it simple for the beginning.

Gail - Welcome. Don't be afraid of the scale. Weigh, measure, and take pictures of yourself, so you can truly see the positive changes that happen. Dealing with the emotional part of eating puts you at an advantage, Congrats. Let's keep doing this - together!

This week is Play-offs week for Little League Baseball, so I have no idea where I will be, when, or how to prepare my food until late the evening before, so I will keep my fresh fruits and vegetables handy, and be thankful that my phone records and imports my steps for me. Then I get a few weeks off before the next sports begin again with the start of the school year. I haven't heard about a FallBall (baseball) team, so that is both sad and glad (less playing baseball for DS, more free time for Mom).

My Dad and I won multiple tickets for Happy Together Concert at Wisconsin State Fair in August, so we will probably give away the "worst" seats (I will pick up my tickets Wednesday this week). We've had VIP seats 4 years in a row now, and never get tired of the 60's and early 70's music. I have to have at least one Cream Puff, but now I know to log it before I even start my day. But it will be so nice to have my steps counted and logged, too, since we usually go a few hours early and eat anything we have never tried (last year it was alligator, the year before that was bacon cheeseburger on a KrispieKream donut). // Last year it was pouring rain and a couple (looked to be around 70 years old) couldn't find their car. I couldn't help with that, but since I had VIP (canope) tickets and super thick hair that takes forever for the rain to get to my scalp, I gave them my umbrella. I better get a replacement in case a similar situation happens again this year.

Welcome to everyone new. Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Carey-Edmonton – 12 July birthdays! You do have a big family.

I laughed when I counted it up. It made me think of our wedding. I know my family is smaller than many people’s but when DH and I got married the family list for both of my parents (including their friends) was 24 people. The list for DH’s father’s family was 8. We “forced” his mom to keep her list down to 125 and only 3 of that list were her friends! Once during the planning she offered to pay for the space and for the extra dinners if we would change venue and let her invite her aunts, uncles, first cousins, brother and brother’s children. She was willing to not invite her cousin’s children. LOL! If we had said yes we would have had close to 800 people invited to our wedding. Most of those folks live in the area and would have come. The mere thought of that many people made my head spin.

God Bless Gramma Lil. She was MIL’s mother , passed away nearly 22 years ago, and I still miss her to this day. She was a great lady and I feel lucky to have known her. At one point she looked MIL in the eye and said quite tartly, “You are not obligated to invite the whole family. Just invite the ones you like. If any of the others question it just blame it on me. Tell them I said I never liked them and told you not to invite them.”

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington – I love that definition/explanation for obsessed. I think I will adopt it.

Mia in MI

July goal:

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! My favorite is the walking because I would LOVE to do that -- unfortunately she lives 600 miles away. Wish we could walk together more often... I think I am just going to show her how much her mom logs via email and come up with whatever two-person support group we can arrange-- I avoided this logging stuff for years but now I can't do without it. Also, maybe her doctor can suggest some support resources where she lives. I have been using the MFP recipe calculator more often lately and tried to explain that it is not that hard to use. She likes to cook from scratch like I do. Terri, does klutziness come with PCOS? I have some stories for you! LOL. I love how supportive this group is!!!
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Janettr wow! Proud of you!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When our DYS and his wife and daughter got joined as a family; the church they married in would only hold 125 people and that was crowded. We invited our families and a few close friends; only our DOS, his wife, and their 3 children and us were the only ones from our family. After the short and sweet ceremony, they had a big reception where a lot of people were invited. Her family, co-workers, and their friends and families. Good ole Louisiana ho down. Food was great. Missed their 'first' dance and his dance with his step-daughter; but, did see them cut the cake. DDnL sent me a little clip of DYS and her daughter dancing on a table at a restaurant or some sort of party. I never knew he could even dance. It was so cute.

Got in the pool and walked around the perimeter 10x before the thunder drove me out; but, I got in a good 30 minute workout.

My DGGMnL was a pistol, too - had 8 children and when Dixie Crystal Sugar Refinery opened up a plant in Savannah, GA - they loaned them a car and fixed up the rec hall because that was the only place large enough for the family. Some of the tales they would tell about growing up both in Louisiana and Georgia would cause you to bust a gut laughing so hard. DH granddaddy passed away right after we started dating. I would have loved to have known him. Louis said that he'd cuss up a storm in French. He was a first generation American. His workers taught him how to read and right in English so he could get this job as the boiler keeper for the plant.
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Hi I havea question what are some sweet treats you let yourself have that are not bad stuff ? I crave sweets and need to find something! I eat watermelon n if its a good flavor it works the last couple were not quite ripe!

Fruit is always a “go to” when I want something sweet. I also eat low fat Greek yogurt with fruit as a sweet snack. Yesterday I ate out in a restaurant that had a baked apple on their menu. They added a little too much sugar for my taste, but overall it was yummy and not too caloric. I have also enjoyed poached pears as a dessert. Guess the baked apple and poached pears still count as fruit on the sweet treat suggestion.

I like Skinny Cow brand ice cream treats every now and then. I also keep “two bite” brownies in my freezer and will defrost one for a special treat every now and then.

Mia in MI

July goal:

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,650 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @miriamwithcats - I'll have to look for the book next time I go to the library. Right now I have 6 to read by August 2nd or 3rd.

As for my BnL - DH took him today for a 'stress test'. I'm sure if anything was noticeable wrong they would have kept him. DH says he has lost another couple of pounds and is going to 'waste away' if he doesn't eat something. I fear that he might have cancer or something and they just have not found it. His YS died of cancer a couple of years ago on what would have been (if they had stayed married) their 49th wedding anniversary. He has not been the same since. Dying of a 'broken heart'? This son and his mom and her present husband were stationed at Camp Lejeune when they came out and agreed that the water supply was bad and people were getting cancer at a young age, and other debilitating diseases.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, if you are e><ercising, you are building muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat so you can be smaller, but the scale might not show it. Muscle tissue is much healthier for you than fat tissue. So rely on inches lost, and how clothes fit, rather than the scale. It is very inaccurate!
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Lisa from West Texas -
    Checking in .. still alive, after a 17- hour day yesterday, and six miles of walking inside the restaurant. Started writing my preliminary report at six this morning, after only being able to sleep a couple hours. My whole body was hurting. Specially my knees and my poor feet. Four hours writing my report and then another seven hours in the restaurant. But... things are starting to settle down.

Wow! What a rough first day. 6 miles of walking in the restaurant. I don’t think I could have done that. Then you follow that 17 hour day with an 11 hour day. You are amazing. I’m glad to read that things may be settling down a bit. Just seeing how everything is running and deciding on what needs to be tackled first must be a huge job.

Sylvia – so sorry to read about the fall. Hope you are healing well from it. On the bright side… Hooray for getting up by yourself!!! That is a huge NSV.

Michele in NC – Glad to read that Vince got to come home. I’m still praying for both of you and a good outcome from all of the tests.

I use a white vinegar and water solution for many of my cleaning chores since white vinegar is a disinfectant. It also removes polish and wax buildup from wood, grease from the stove, and dozens of other things. Love it! I used to use it to clean my vinyl floor in the kitchen (disinfectant remember?) and was told not to do this anymore when we got new vinyl flooring. The new vinyl coating won’t hold up to soaps or even my beloved vinegar. New vinyl flooring is water only to clean it. So I went out and bout a floor steamer because I couldn’t stand the thought of a kitchen floor that had not been disinfected.

Mia in MI

July goal:

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,650 Member
    Options