Can men and women be "just friends"?

Options

Replies

• keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Of course. The assumption that they can't assumes that 1. Everyone is straight and 2. Men are horny idiots who literally want to have sex with every woman. Both of those things are false.

Implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying implying
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I went to tech University, being pretty much the only girl there. Most of my friends from Uni are men.
    No way in hell they all want to do me. So yes, being friends as a girl with men is possible.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Can I get along with a men without being attracted to him? Hell yes.
    Maybe I'm strange, but I can get along with more people than feel attraction towards. :laugh: So I find it easier to just be friend than to do more... Or I'm just too picky on what I find attractive. I can't say what the `manly` part thinks about it.

Althought I must say that my best frienships with men wore those with men who have sisters. I have a brother and the friendships were pretty similar. Maybe that the secret, seeing the other person as a sibling.
    Brotherzone all the way!!! :drinker: But I wished I had a genuine friendship with a men... like not a `brother with another mom`. Sometimes I hate being treated as someone elses bigger or youngest sister. :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever heard of the Ladder Theory? Truth, my friends. Truth. My answer to the question (and from my own personal experience) is: almost always NO.
  • TamAUH
    TamAUH Posts: 20
    Options
    haha that sounds like me...
  • TamAUH
    TamAUH Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm not allowed to be friends with anyone that's more attractive than my wife. She insists that all my lady friends be ugly or overweight. That makes life easy for me I guess.

HAHA that sounds lik me.... Its just insecurity, handle with care:)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    From my experience... No. I like men as friends, I really do. They're fun and crazy and they don't make a fuss. They're great to be around. But it always. ALWAYS got complicated. When I was a kid I had mostly boy friends, but since being a teenager the number guys among my friend has dropped and now it's almost non-existent. I think it's possible if there's some mutual lack of attraction (describing the relationship of my only male friend and I), maybe. I hope maybe to find guy friends who are in relationships so I don't have to worry about it, because I do like the company of guys. But then again I'm always worried guys would want to go there, and that's from past experience... I'm into dancing and I even prefer to dance with other women, because whenever a guy touches me I feel like I know what's going through his head...
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, yes, but let's look into it a bit more. Are you wondering about a heterosexual man and heterosexual woman being friends? This is definitely possible. However, if there is one party that is attracted to the other or if both are attracted to each other the friendship might be awkward or perhaps develop into something more, but that doesn't devalue the initial friendship.
  • Marvi120
    Marvi120 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a good idea when you are married. Marriage is really hard and your wife/husband should be your main focus. I think if someone from the opposite sex is meeting your needs, for example, recreational or affection, that isn't good for the marriage. It only takes a few minutes to develop a crush. Not very respectful to your partner.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Depends if the other party is ugly or not.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Yes, my best friend is a man and we are just friends.
  • funkynab
    funkynab Posts: 4
    Options
    What sort of friend? Best friend to hetrosexual man? Hmmmm
    It can work provided you and your friend's other halves understand which usually is not the case.
    :bigsmile:
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My best guy friend is someone I have been best friends with since we were five, and I have never felt any sort of attraction to him, nor him to me. I talk to him just like I do to my girlfriends.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Sure! I get along better with men than I ever did with women. Men are very cut and dry, no guessing which I really like.
    Women are too insecure for the most part. I do have two women that are my besties, but men, they are awesome.

This... I have 3 women who I am close to. But I get alone better with men. There is just no BS when it comes to being friends with them.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have only a couple guy friends, but I'm NOT attracted to them in any way, shape, or form. My boyfriend doesn't mind me being friends with them either because they aren't a threat. I get along with my guy friends, laugh with them, joke around, etc and feel no attraction and there's nothing sexual there.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Of course they can. I have more female friends than male friends and no issues at all. One of my best friends is female and she is also my weight lifting partner, we see each other every week day in the gym to workout and we do other things such as have coffee together but it's no different to any other friend male or female.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yup.

My husband had a female that he became friends with at the gym he used to workout at. They'd exercise together and then go out for breakfast after wards. I was 100% ok with that and I know that if I had a male friend he'd be fine with it too.

It's all about trusting the person that you're with and communicating.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think men and women can be friends if the expectations don't go beyond that premise. Often when deep feelings become involved the relationship changes...in my opinion.

This definitely!
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    I use to absolutely think so!. But now, after a couple of life experiences. My thinking on this has shifted a bit.