5'9" women, what is your goal weight?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, 170 lbs. I wear a size 10 comfortably in pants and a size large top. The large is pretty baggy but the mediums are too tight specifically in the arms...my goal is 155 lbs which will allow me to gain a bit more muscle in my lower body increasing my weight to 162ish. I'm thinking 15 lbs will have my arms and back fat where I need them to be... GONE!!!

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My goal range is 145-160, which will put me at 15-22% BF
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ccpowles wrote: »
    I'm 5'9 and 134, my goal is 120-125 :)

Correction, the above post was meant for you @louislove17. I apologize for the confusion @rabbitjb.

I love this post :smiley:

@ccpowles

Somebody starting at a BMI of 19.7 and aiming at a BMI of 17.7 is demonstrating quite clear issues and the kind of support required is from an ED team and not a cheerleader

There is a whole culture of striving for underweight rather than healthy. There is a whole raft of issues associated with being underweight

It is sad

• parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 started at 285 (UK size 24) and currently around 240 (UK size 16-18). I am hoping to eventually get down to 175. I have no idea what jean size this will be but I'm aiming for around a 10 to 12 in the VERY distant future :) x
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Correction, the above post was meant for you @louislove17. I apologize for the confusion @rabbitjb.

@ccpowles

Somebody starting at a BMI of 19.7 and aiming at a BMI of 17.7 is demonstrating quite clear issues and the kind of support required is from an ED team and not a cheerleader

There is a whole culture of striving for underweight rather than healthy. There is a whole raft of issues associated with being underweight

It is sad

You're right that aiming for an underweight BMI could be a bad thing for most people. She may also be built very small. Just like some of us are built bigger and not meant to be in the "normal" BMI range. She should probably consider recomposition, or building muscle to lose fat.

[Edited by psuLemon]
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@ccpowles

It is sad

You're right that aiming for an underweight BMI could be a bad thing for most people. She may also be built very small. Just like some of us are built bigger and not meant to be in the "normal" BMI range. She should probably consider recomposition, or building muscle to lose fat.

I disagree with you.

On both points

• Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    depends on your bone structure and size of body parts and how your body carry's the weight and your fat to muscle ratio - in short depends what it looks like on you
  • usmcmp
    Options

@louislove17 If you are unhappy with how you look at the lower end of the normal range (which is where your weight is currently) it might be a good idea to consider adding muscle to change how your body looks. Often adding muscle can help you lower your body fat levels without changing your weight much. It improves how your body looks and gives that fit/toned look.

Sustaining a body weight under the normal BMI can be unhealthy for most people. Women especially can experience hair loss, weak nails, lower bone density, loss of fertility, and organ damage. Increasing your lean mass by adding muscle can help protect your body from the negative effects while helping shape your body in a positive way.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Let me clarify...the underweight side of the BMI calculation is not the same as overweight...body mass as a result of muscle is indistinguishable from body mass as a result of fat in the upper ranges.

There is not the same confusion at the lower end. Many physicians, and some research has put the "healthiest" range at between 20 and 25.

Yes people have different builds but I understand that is built into the scope which puts 18.5 at the lower limit. And it is there for a very good reason. It is far more risky for overall health to be below the lower range than above the upper range

I am not invested in goals personally, I am invested in dangerous information not being allowed to support and inform those most at risk eg the audience of a weight loss site
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Wow...I feel good...not! My goal is to get to 200 pounds. I'm 283 right now and I have a very large bone structure. I'm a size 22 right now, I'd be happy just to get to a size 14-16. *sigh*
    In my wild dreams, I hoped that maybe someday I could get back into a size 18, but I didn't think it would happen and saved only one pair of shorts in that size. When I began losing, I hoped to get to a 1X, maybe - MAYBE - under 200.

As you progress, the goals change! They drop. And success breeds more success. It's like an avalanche...but not lethal. :) The day I went from Obese to Overweight was a happy, happy day. And it was the same day I was like, "Okay, how much more work until I get to Normal?"

One day you will probably be saying, "I can't believe I thought 200 would be nice." I swear. It just hapoens.

Sick with your goals, but don't be surprised if they change! :)

My current goal is to be under 200lb then work from there. Think my current end goal is 180lb and see how I feel :) im 5ft 8in and very broad shouldered. I doubt my figure would allow me to go much smaller than a 12. I have real birthing hips haha!!
  • usmcmp
    edited December 2015
    Options

@ccpowles

It is sad

I disagree with you.

On both points

My comment wasn't very polite towards you and I apologize. Hopefully this thread can move on and provide helpful information to others.
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options

@ccpowles

It is sad

I disagree with you.

On both points

My comment wasn't very polite towards you and I apologize. Hopefully this thread can move on and provide helpful information to others.

Thank you @usmcmp - no worries :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Don't mind me, just cleaning things up.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and currently weigh 145. My goal is 140 but I may have to get there before deciding if I should go lower. My weight has been as low as 119 at age 19-22 (naturally, no disordered eating) and as high as 163 at age 50. The weight I remember feeling the best at was 140, so that's what I'm aiming for. I'm always confused about sizes in women's clothing and how that works. I'm not big boned as I have slim wrists, slender feet (though they are size 8) and wear a smaller size ring than my 2 sister in laws that are both tiny and under 5' 4". But...I've never been lower than a size 6 at 140lbs. Size 2?? I think I'd probably look awful. It must have something to do with bone size that two 5'9" girls could have such a large difference in size worn. But I can't explain it in my case because I'm small to medium boned???
  • louislove17
    louislove17 Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@ccpowles

It is sad

I disagree with you.

On both points

Thank you @usmcmp - no worries :smile:

I understand, there's no need to continue this conversation about me. Thank you :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    My current goal is to be under 200lb then work from there. Think my current end goal is 180lb and see how I feel :) im 5ft 8in and very broad shouldered. I doubt my figure would allow me to go much smaller than a 12. I have real birthing hips haha!!

That's me, too. Huge frame. I was a size 12 at my thinnest, I have an incredibly wide space between my pelvic bones.
  • kmelward
    kmelward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 - goal weight should be between 135-140
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and currently weigh 145. My goal is 140 but I may have to get there before deciding if I should go lower. My weight has been as low as 119 at age 19-22 (naturally, no disordered eating) and as high as 163 at age 50. The weight I remember feeling the best at was 140, so that's what I'm aiming for. I'm always confused about sizes in women's clothing and how that works. I'm not big boned as I have slim wrists, slender feet (though they are size 8) and wear a smaller size ring than my 2 sister in laws that are both tiny and under 5' 4". But...I've never been lower than a size 6 at 140lbs. Size 2?? I thik I'd probably look awful. It must have something to do with bone size that two 5'9" girls could have such a large difference in size worn. But I can't explain it in my case because I'm small to medium boned???

I am 5'9" currently 155 and wearing a size 8 clothes. Age 59 yo female. My wrists are 6.25" and charts tell me I should weight 145. Too skeletal unless I could spot reduce, which I know is impossible.

Try etoolsage.com to calculate your frame size.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I should probably add that while I'm 5'9", I have profound scoliosis of the thoracic and lumbar spine. According to my doctor, my actual height should be between 6'1" and 6'2". So it shouldn't be surprising that I've set my goal weight quite a bit higher than most people at this height seem to have.

Need I add that I absolutely LOATHE the BMI?
    5'9" 180 lbs BMI: 26.6

6'1" 180 lbs BMI: 23.4
    6'2" 180 lbs BMI: 23.1