Holy crap

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    beccahbase wrote: »
    Also, I don't believe for a second that you are 4'10" and losing weight eating 1700 calories a day. Unless you are running marathons every day.
    Weight training. Losing weight pretty easily.

Weight training does not burn anywhere near as many calories as you think it does. Just saying.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

i didn't advice you at all but the OP
    And i think my 100 pound loss, and healthy lab stats dont need any proof of what i am doing.
    Certainly not be explained or defended to a first time poster who i didn't gave any advice

And again you are not telling me that i feel bad when i dont...Every person is different.

Name calling is the first sign of defeat. You are telling this person that the extreme cut they implemented is completely safe. It's not. Your "stats" are backed up by---nothing. No proof. She will lose weight with calories cut this low. she'll lose it fast and she'll love it. Then shell try to increase caloric intake, and she'll gain weight.
    The more weight you have to lose the easier it comes off. That's why you lost 100 lbs. It gets increasingly more difficult when you have less to lose.
    Not to mention that the average persons nervous system will suffer at this level and just because you have a strong nervous system doesn't mean everyone else does. That is what will make her feel moody and lethargic. This doesn't apply to everyone, clearly.[/quote]

if you read all my posts i stated that indeed 1200 is low. I am even against it without medical supervision.
    But i wont decide or tell anybody not to do it. That is up to each person them self to decide.
    I said it can be done also with enough nutrition's. It is about making wise decisions.

And at this moment i still have some to lose, and yes it slows down a lot. But still going strong.
    So dont tell me how i feel.

For the OP like i said you dont know her. She can be maybe very strong. Maybe she wont. Encouragement is the best way to go and advice her in her journey. I am sure when she gets moody and post here that a lot of us will advice and encourage her what to do.

But never ever decide for a person how they feel, because you have clearly no idea!

• BWBTrish
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Holy crap...What happened to my nice post.

Sorry dear...didnt mean too

But i dont let a 20 year old tell me that i am unhealthy or feel bad. I think i know better myself how i feel.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love ranch on everything too lol but damn almost 5,000 calories that's a pound and a half jesus . good luck I'm doing 1200 calories its not too hard after u get the hang of it and find foods low in calories and sugars but high in protein. I no longer eat ranch because I will use way too much but take it slow and make sure to listen to your body ;) good luck my dear.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    This was a good thread until it got derailed. :|
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I apologize people didn't mean too.
    But like i said nobody tells me how i feel
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you lalainap19. I know 5000 cals is alot. Im eating around 1600 now.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Thank you lalainap19. I know 5000 cals is alot. Im eating around 1600 now.

:)

• beccahbase
    beccahbase Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't believe for a second that you are 4'10" and losing weight eating 1700 calories a day. Unless you are running marathons every day.
    Weight training. Losing weight pretty easily.

Weight training does not burn anywhere near as many calories as you think it does. Just saying.

Heavy powerlifting and body building absolutely benefits my body. How exactly would you know this? Could you explain yourself any further?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Just piping in to help un-derail (rerail?) the thread...

I do 1200 on sedentary days / 1400 on days when I work out. Occassionally, such as when I'm nearing my cycle, I'll get super hungry and give myself the extra 200 even without exercise. Also, I do not let myself land under 1200 - I aim for just above.

I'm 5'4. This limit seems fine to me. I do need to work on my protein intake a bit, but that's really just fine-tuning. Otherwise, I'm usually quite content with the amount of food I've eaten at the end of the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You are telling this person that the extreme cut they implemented is completely safe. It's not.

She's 4'11, said she's sedentary, and has over 50 lb to lose and a thyroid issue. She also has mentioned being under a doctor's care, who will be monitoring what she is doing to some degree.

Her TDEE, according to Scooby, is in the 1700s.

*Netting* 1200 (and eating back exercise calories) is safe if she feels good doing it and it doesn't cause her to overeat or blow her goal too often.

You saying it's not safe isn't supported by anything.
    Then shell try to increase caloric intake, and she'll gain weight.

I've lost 95 lbs total, and started at MFP at 200 (I'm now 125) eating 1250. My stats at 200 are comparable to OP's at 4'11, since I'm 4 inches taller. I also was walking quite a bit as I live in a city and commute on public transportation and do many errands on foot. I felt fine at 1250 and, just as important, consistently have increased my calories as I've lost weight, because I did more exercise. My TDEE is just about where it's supposed to be, according to the calculators.

I think if she's not sure she's comfortable with 1200 that it makes sense to bring it down more gradually or see how she does with a more flexible goal 1200-1600 or some such, but telling her it's not safe or appropriate for her to do 1200 seems like a scare tactic that is not consistent with mainstream (or MFP) advice about what a reasonable calorie goal or deficit is.
  • beccahbase
    Options
    Because

But i dont let a 20 year old tell me that i am unhealthy or feel bad. I think i know better myself how i feel.

Because age has everything to do with it
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

so you are saying that my medical team is wrong...my excellent monthly lab stats are wrong
    And that i feel bad?

just lolzzz
    Yes. I am saying I disagree with you. I do not think this a healthy approach to weight loss, and I would not trust your advice.

Sorry but you are wrong. A person can absolutely receive 100% adequate nutrition eating 1200 calories..

In fact they can do so on a lot less than 1200 calories. But the lower you go, the more each and every morsel you put in your mouth matters.

Too bad someone hasn't invented something like...a calorie counting website or etc...to help manage that....
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Because

no respect does
    You dont have to agree with somebody
    But you certainly dont tell them how they feel or if they are healthy or not.

You are not in the position to do so.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Because

You're not in a position to tell an anonymous stranger how they feel.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

And i think my 100 pound loss, and healthy lab stats dont need any proof of what i am doing.
    Certainly not be explained or defended to a first time poster who i didn't gave any advice

And again you are not telling me that i feel bad when i dont...Every person is different.

Name calling is the first sign of defeat. You are telling this person that the extreme cut they implemented is completely safe. It's not. Your "stats" are backed up by---nothing. No proof. She will lose weight with calories cut this low. she'll lose it fast and she'll love it. Then shell try to increase caloric intake, and she'll gain weight.
    The more weight you have to lose the easier it comes off. That's why you lost 100 lbs. It gets increasingly more difficult when you have less to lose.
    Not to mention that the average persons nervous system will suffer at this level and just because you have a strong nervous system doesn't mean everyone else does. That is what will make her feel moody and lethargic. This doesn't apply to everyone, clearly.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Different ages have different caloric needs. The poster you're bashing for having been unsafe is a lot older than you and has a lower metabolic rate. I'm even older than her. I eat 1200 plus some occasional exercise calories.

Also, the OP has enough weight on her to oxidize fat at such at a daily rate to preserve lean mass on strict cut. It is entirely possible, with an eye towards nutrient density, to eat well for 1200 calories.

I, like another poster, sincerely doubt your claims to be 4'10" and cutting on 1700. Unless you weigh about 170 or so.

• beccahbase
    Options

Not to mention that the average persons nervous system will suffer at this level and just because you have a strong nervous system doesn't mean everyone else does. That is what will make her feel moody and lethargic. This doesn't apply to everyone, clearly.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Different ages have different caloric needs. The poster you're bashing for having been unsafe is a lot older than you and has a lower metabolic rate. I'm even older than her. I eat 1200 plus some occasional exercise calories.

Also, the OP has enough weight on her to oxidize fat at such at a daily rate to preserve lean mass on strict cut. It is entirely possible, with an eye towards nutrient density, to eat well for 1200 calories.

I, like another poster, sincerely doubt your claims to be 4'10" and cutting on 1700. Unless you weigh about 170 or so.

I'm cutting quite easily. This is why I try to stay off fitness blurbs. No one has a clue what they're doing to their bodies.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I'm cutting quite easily. This is why I try to stay off fitness blurbs. No one has a clue what they're doing to their bodies.

Wow - seriously? Okay. I was under the impression everyone was different. I had no idea I was supposed to fit into a cookie-cutter mold. Good thing I've been lurking and learned this valuable information based on limited experience from someone who has a naturally higher burn rate due their young age.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Jeez. My thread definitely got derailed. Im at 900 calories today with breakfast lunch and a snack. I had egg whites with cheese and toast for breakfast, shredded chicken on whole wheat toast with a tiny bit of bbq sauce and I had a hot dog with ketchup for a snack. Not sure on dinner yet.