3 Exercises For A Strong/Aesthetic Physique

Options
What's going on everyone!? I hope you had a great 4th of July Weekend :wink:

Anyway, I wanted to share with you today my 3 go to exercises for building not only a strong and powerful physique, but an aesthetic one too!

Exercise #1: The Incline Barbell Bench Press
The best decision I have made in my training was to put more emphasis on incline presses. Flat presses still have their place, but the point with the incline press is that it builds the upper chest more efficiently. Creating that masculine, square chest look. It also contributes to building that sweet line down the middle of your chest.
Bottom line, getting your incline bench press over 200lbs will result in your chest looking like a plate of armor. Along with low body fat levels :wink:

Exercise #2: Weighted Chin Ups
Believe it or not, but the weighted chin up/pull up are the only things I do for my back development. I built up to 90lbs for 4 reps. The goal is 100lbs for 6 reps. 3 sets of heavy chins and my back doesn't stop growing! Weighted chin ups and pull ups also contribute to the coveted V shaped look, which is a very visually pleasing feature to have.

Exercise #3: Standing Overhead Press
The final exercise on the list, but equally important. Everyone wants huge capped delts. But no one wants to shoulder press any heavy weight! I challenge you to build up your overhead press to your body weight (in pounds) for 5 reps, add in some lateral raises and face-pulls and come tell me how your shoulders have grown! This is such an effective full body exercise too, the core strength and coordination to push heavy weight overhead is no laughing matter.

Alright guys, lay it on me! What do you think of those 3 exercises?
Do you incorporate them into your training?

And these are not the ONLY exercises in my routine. They are just the ones I put a huge emphasis on!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Only upper body? You didn't pick a single lower body exercise for your top three?
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah, squats need to be here.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Squats>OHP
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My apologies... I don't squat haha

That post was kinda leaning towards males.

But for females, sure! Squat

I work on weighted pistol squats and bulgarian split squats over normal squats nowadays. I feel they target the *kitten* more.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »

I work on weighted pistol squats and bulgarian split squats over normal squats nowadays. I feel they target the *kitten* more.

No one like chicken legs on a dude.
  • usmcmp
    Options

a7eeae038851851a2b0507cca1917b04.jpeg
  • usmcmp
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

No one like chicken legs on a dude.

Pretty sure this "fitness coach" is a curlbro.

Fitness coach that doesn't squat. GTFO
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Oy.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

No squats, huh? That post was kinda leaning towards lame.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ok, how long before we hear from Matt or Jo or both? :)
  • usmcmp
    Options

Males shouldn't squat? Huh. Well I would add squats and/or deadlifts in there somewhere. I really should work on my *kitten* a bit more, though.

He doesn't need quads or hams, just a perky *kitten*. He might like Bret Contreras booty workouts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WTF?
  • gtmfitness
    Options
    Wow I had no idea this work spark some big outrage. The squat is just another exercise. Relax. I used to squat...I have no desire to grow my legs any larger than they are now. I like to keep them in proportion with my upper body and focus on jumping higher and sprinting faster.

Squats are fantastic for beginners to build up their legs....
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Males shouldn't squat? Huh. Well I would add squats and/or deadlifts in there somewhere. I really should work on my *kitten* a bit more, though.

He doesn't need quads or hams, just a perky *kitten*. He might like Bret Contreras booty workouts.

He should do Butt Bible and 'get that *kitten* to the grass'.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    He's only 19, we should cut him a little slack. He has a lot to learn still.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hi-larious.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I see 2 push movements, one pull, and no legs. If you are going to focus primarily on only 3 exercises, I think a stronger list would include one press, one pull, and either deadlifts or squats. Balance is good.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Wow I had no idea this work spark some big outrage. The squat is just another exercise. Relax. I used to squat...I have no desire to grow my legs any larger than they are now. I like to keep them in proportion with my upper body and focus on jumping higher and sprinting faster.

Squats are fantastic for beginners to build up their legs....

Good for beginners? Your age is showing.
  • gtmfitness
    Options
    Awe thanks for cutting some slack for the young kid @usmcmp
This discussion has been closed.