3 Exercises For A Strong/Aesthetic Physique

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Wow I had no idea this work spark some big outrage. The squat is just another exercise. Relax. I used to squat...I have no desire to grow my legs any larger than they are now. I like to keep them in proportion with my upper body and focus on jumping higher and sprinting faster.

Squats are fantastic for beginners to build up their legs....

Right, but this post isn't geared toward beginners; it's what your preferences are. So when a noob comes along, all confused and looking for info, then sees this, they're going to think all they have to do is incline bp, weighted chins, and ohp.

No bueno.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Wow I had no idea this work spark some big outrage. The squat is just another exercise. Relax. I used to squat...I have no desire to grow my legs any larger than they are now. I like to keep them in proportion with my upper body and focus on jumping higher and sprinting faster.

Well, you are pretty. Why don't you show us a picture of your legs and we can tell you if they are in proportion?

::adjust old lady creeper badge::
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't think @_dracarys_ or @mantium999 read the last sentence of my post. Those 3 exercises are not the only exercises in my routine.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't think @_dracarys_ or @mantium999 read the last sentence of my post. Those 3 exercises are not the only exercises in my routine.

So how are you helping a beginner again by listing 3 of your favorite exercises, none of which include lower body emphasis? Mmmkay.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    but, Aesthetic Physique implies the whole body no?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Typical Miscer: "I don't do squats, beacuse I am training for aesthetics."

"Working chest, delts, tris, and biceps works approximately 10% of your overall lean body mass. Working hard on deadlifts (bent legged, trap Bar, or sumo) or squatting (not necessarily at the same time) works more like 70% of your musculature at once and sends a strong message to your body to get better at growing now!" - Wesley Silveira

"Once you can squat with 180 kilograms, your arms and shoulders will come along much more receptively...If you want big arms and shoulders, your first priority is to be sure that your leg/hip/back structure is growing and becoming powerful" - Stuart McRobert
  • gtmfitness
    Options
    @_dracarys I am helping a beginner by showing them there is more than the "mainstream" exercises such as the squat deadlift and bench press. I am showing them effective exercises for building strength and also ones that make you look good..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    As many have echoed, it's essential to do some leg work even if it's not crazy heavy. Legs are a foundation and hold up the upper body. So no leg foundation is like a house with a weak foundation. May look pretty on the outside, but eventually if the foundation suffers, the rest just collapses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• gtmfitness
    Options
    I do leg work? haha @ninerbuff
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

No, I read it just fine. I define "emphasis" as what has to happen, no matter what. So, if the rest of the workout has to get nixed for some reason, at least the emphasis got done. So, I would choose to emphasize a few exercises that hit every major muscle, and supplement accordingly.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I've found with most people that don't squat, the real story is that they don't want to start from scratch and relearn how to squat correctly because they don't want everyone to see them squatting the bar with no weights on it.

"That's the classic nature of people, though. We'll skip the basics and get pissed when the sexy stuff doesn't work." - Martin Rooney
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What if you don't have equipment for such exercises or don't have a gym membership? What then????????????
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Uhm.... then you should squat. There is a lot of research out there that shows a strong correlation between squats and sprints, as well as vertical jump.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I do leg work? haha @ninerbuff
    Yet not mentioned on a "strong/aesthetic" physique. So if the average newbie came on here to learn and had no knowledge of leg work, your post may lead them to believe it's not necessary.
    If fitness instruction is your job, you don't make your workouts everyone else's workout. This is a common mistake that many new people in fitness instruction make. You emphasize on others weaknesses and fine tune their strengths.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No thank you.

Friends+don+t+let+friends+skip+leg+day+i+we+would+need+_cc7ee4ea778d1b38799f78a8ea048c42.jpg
  • usmcmp
    Options

Uhm.... then you should squat. There is a lot of research out there that shows a strong correlation between squats and sprints, as well as vertical jump.

Kyle, squats are only for women and beginners. Your program that makes you squat 4 times per week is bad mmkay. You need to stop squatting.
  • gtmfitness
    Options
    You are absolutely correct @ninerbuff ! The post was a mere suggestion for people to consider adding those exercises into their routines.
This discussion has been closed.