3 Exercises For A Strong/Aesthetic Physique

Options

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    This is not the first time I have seen OP give dodgy advice. He normally targets new people, who are looking to gain muscle/weight, who haven't a clue where to start and gives them this sort of advice. There was a poster the other day who was looking for exercise advice and he had a bad shoulder/back, cant remember which, who was or just had surgery on the area and the advice OP gave him would have made those areas worse. I think @ndj1979 called him out on it. If OP keeps giving this sort of advice, I would urge MFP to stop him from doing so before someone gets hurt listening to his advice.

@jdscrubs32 - unfortunately "WOO" wins out a majority of the time on MFP......... You would think a reputable company like Under Armour would want to keep intregrity of it's forums at a hightened level....then again....it's corporate America....it's all about the "CLICKS for CASH!!!!!!"

Quiet @jmule24 giving out about UA as they might see your comment and ban you instead;)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    First, I want to congratulate OP on inadvernatly avoid the bro-science of squats raise testosterone so they're necessary. At least I'm assuming he doesn't think that as squats are for women.
    Second, I wanted to know, what other exercises belong to genders? Will it be ok for women to do bulgarian squats or pistol squats? Are they pistol squats because you need a pistol, so to speak, to do them?

I did a pull up once, accidentally turned into a man.
    I've heard that also happens when girls do regular pushups instead of girl pushups.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP if you say you squat and stop usually that follows with my legs got too big that my feet started to turn out. Since you didn't say that or include lower body in your pic the verdict is you lied about squatting. Nice try. A smart lifter knows to not neglect their lower body. You claim a strong body too. I wonder how a strong upper body vs not as strong full body would go in a contest of fitness?
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The shake weight is mainly for women I think. And gay men, I suppose.

shake-weight.gif

This thread is sexist enough........

Q0faMgZ.gif

There.....now it's not.......
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    First, I want to congratulate OP on inadvernatly avoid the bro-science of squats raise testosterone so they're necessary. At least I'm assuming he doesn't think that as squats are for women.
    Second, I wanted to know, what other exercises belong to genders? Will it be ok for women to do bulgarian squats or pistol squats? Are they pistol squats because you need a pistol, so to speak, to do them?

Oh, welcome to the club, I'll find you some snow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

do you find your new life easier or harder?

I'm curious- wondering if I should accidentally do pulls ups and maybe I'll accidentally turn into a man too.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So if I do accidentally turn into a man, can I do squats to turn back into a woman?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

do you find your new life easier or harder?

I'm curious- wondering if I should accidentally do pulls ups and maybe I'll accidentally turn into a man too.

Then you can do squats and turn back into a woman.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Suddenly all those ancient Greek stories about gender changes make sense to come out of the culture that founded the Olympics.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

And I already guessed it....90% of them are saying to squat.

Listen......I used to squat. A lot actually.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

But when I looked in the mirror I was not happy with that I saw.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together
    I had stretch marks on my hips, thighs, and butt
    I looked funny in nice jeans or dress pants

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them
    They are a fantastic exercise for adding leg mass. I am not denying that.

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

(edit- for spelling and things)

I think this might have struck a nerve. Well said. Only, do you have something against pancakes? :#

LOL No, pancakes are delicious!!!! (especially with big ripe blueberries in them!!!!
    But they belong on my plate and I want to eat them. Pancake *kitten*- do not want on my plate and I do not want to eat them. It was funny- I was at my old gym once- and these two gangly teenagers were complaining about squats and I was literally right there and I was like WHY- squats are great. And they were like not really... 'but- butts are great' - nah- that's for girls.
    I just looked at them- here a woman way out of their "league" if you will was telling them she liked a nice *kitten* and they were disagreeing with me!!! I was like DUDE THIS IS LIFE ADVISE HERE!!! HOW YOU GONNA IGNORE THE HOT GIRL TELLING YOU WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I want to be able to slap a nice *kitten* too. why is that a guy only thing?!?!?! :( pout pout
    I'm going to start a group I think- He Squats Bro- so I can fully objectify and oogle man butt- because a good perky squat man butt is a beautiful thing.

Why so much flat butt shaming? Why do so many people think they can speak for the majority?

'Most women don't like pancake assses,' sounds an awful lot like, "most men prefer curves to bones.'

The word 'bones' is used to disparage thin women just as 'pancake' was used by you to disparage men with less developed or genetically smaller Hineys. OP was full of bad info and needed correcting (which you did nicely early on) but there's no reason to swing that big sword of self righteousness and wind up cutting far more people than just your intended target.
  • brower47
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Features, thanks MFP
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

I think this might have struck a nerve. Well said. Only, do you have something against pancakes? :#

LOL No, pancakes are delicious!!!! (especially with big ripe blueberries in them!!!!
    But they belong on my plate and I want to eat them. Pancake *kitten*- do not want on my plate and I do not want to eat them. It was funny- I was at my old gym once- and these two gangly teenagers were complaining about squats and I was literally right there and I was like WHY- squats are great. And they were like not really... 'but- butts are great' - nah- that's for girls.
    I just looked at them- here a woman way out of their "league" if you will was telling them she liked a nice *kitten* and they were disagreeing with me!!! I was like DUDE THIS IS LIFE ADVISE HERE!!! HOW YOU GONNA IGNORE THE HOT GIRL TELLING YOU WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I want to be able to slap a nice *kitten* too. why is that a guy only thing?!?!?! :( pout pout
    I'm going to start a group I think- He Squats Bro- so I can fully objectify and oogle man butt- because a good perky squat man butt is a beautiful thing.

Why so much flat butt shaming? Why do so many people think they can speak for the majority?

'Most women don't like pancake assses,' sounds an awful lot like, "most men prefer curves to bones.'

The word 'bones' is used to disparage thin women just as 'pancake' was used by you to disparage men with less developed or genetically smaller Hineys. OP was full of bad info and needed correcting (which you did nicely early on) but there's no reason to swing that big sword of self righteousness and wind up cutting far more people than just your intended target.

To be fair, the thread title is "Strong Aesthetic Physique". She is stating what she finds aesthetically pleasing, and I don't know anyone with a "pancake" behind that has a strong lower body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

I said most because I don't speak for all women. And no- I'm not "body shaming" flat *kitten*.

But having a well developed butt is something that's attainable by anyone.
    You're bone structure and how wide you are and where you are prone to carrying fat- is not.

You're comparing apples to oranges. But on the point of people like flat butts- I'm sure someone out there somewhere likes a flat butt on a man. You're absolutely right.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wonder what OP thinks of men doing hip raises
  • brower47
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

To be fair, the thread title is "Strong Aesthetic Physique". She is stating what she finds aesthetically pleasing, and I don't know anyone with a "pancake" behind that had a strong lower body.

To be fair, she claimed to speak for the aesthetic likes of 'most women'.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

To be fair, the thread title is "Strong Aesthetic Physique". She is stating what she finds aesthetically pleasing, and I don't know anyone with a "pancake" behind that had a strong lower body.

I will speak for 'most men' and go on record as saying; "we also enjoy having a firm rear end." I hated having no caboose and constantly being reminded by my wife. Since squating that is no longer the case. As stated above....bounce a quarter off my A**!!!!!

• brower47
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

I said most because I don't speak for all women. And no- I'm not "body shaming" flat *kitten*.

But having a well developed butt is something that's attainable by anyone.
    You're bone structure and how wide you are and where you are prone to carrying fat- is not.

You're comparing apples to oranges. But on the point of people like flat butts- I'm sure someone out there somewhere likes a flat butt on a man. You're absolutely right.

You don't speak for all women but you speak for most? Very humble of you.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

Gotcha, so that constitutes body shaming. I've got to say, while it is a generalization... I've never once come across a female that has favored a pancake behind on a man. Willing to bet if a poll was put in place (especially on this site) pancake would not prevail.
This discussion has been closed.