3 Exercises For A Strong/Aesthetic Physique

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    What's going on everyone!? I hope you had a great 4th of July Weekend :wink:

Anyway, I wanted to share with you today my 3 go to exercises for building not only a strong and powerful physique, but an aesthetic one too!

Exercise #1: The Incline Barbell Bench Press
    The best decision I have made in my training was to put more emphasis on incline presses. Flat presses still have their place, but the point with the incline press is that it builds the upper chest more efficiently. Creating that masculine, square chest look. It also contributes to building that sweet line down the middle of your chest.
    Bottom line, getting your incline bench press over 200lbs will result in your chest looking like a plate of armor. Along with low body fat levels :wink:

Exercise #2: Weighted Chin Ups
    Believe it or not, but the weighted chin up/pull up are the only things I do for my back development. I built up to 90lbs for 4 reps. The goal is 100lbs for 6 reps. 3 sets of heavy chins and my back doesn't stop growing! Weighted chin ups and pull ups also contribute to the coveted V shaped look, which is a very visually pleasing feature to have.

Exercise #3: Standing Overhead Press
    The final exercise on the list, but equally important. Everyone wants huge capped delts. But no one wants to shoulder press any heavy weight! I challenge you to build up your overhead press to your body weight (in pounds) for 5 reps, add in some lateral raises and face-pulls and come tell me how your shoulders have grown! This is such an effective full body exercise too, the core strength and coordination to push heavy weight overhead is no laughing matter.

Don't forget to skip leg day.

Alright guys, lay it on me! What do you think of those 3 exercises?
    Do you incorporate them into your training?

And these are not the ONLY exercises in my routine. They are just the ones I put a huge emphasis on!

I fixed your post OP.
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

And I already guessed it....90% of them are saying to squat.

Listen......I used to squat. A lot actually.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

But when I looked in the mirror I was not happy with that I saw.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together
    I had stretch marks on my hips, thighs, and butt
    I looked funny in nice jeans or dress pants

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them
    They are a fantastic exercise for adding leg mass. I am not denying that.

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think squats are overrated, they are a great exercise, but you can accomplish just as much leg work by using a hack squat machine or leg press machine without messing up your lower back, then you're not lifting at all. Yea you can spend endless hours working on form, but spend the time working your muscles! As for the OP, I agree with most people here, that you should do things to maintain your leg strength, however it does NOT need to always be squats and deadlifts.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So I don't lift heavy (yet), and the reasons you name for not doing squats I'm totally okay with.
    That post was kinda leaning towards males.

But for females, sure! Squat

But this is just plain sexist.
  • secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What's going on everyone!? I hope you had a great 4th of July Weekend :wink:

Anyway, I wanted to share with you today my 3 go to exercises for building not only a strong and powerful physique, but an aesthetic one too!

Exercise #1: The Incline Barbell Bench Press
    The best decision I have made in my training was to put more emphasis on incline presses. Flat presses still have their place, but the point with the incline press is that it builds the upper chest more efficiently. Creating that masculine, square chest look. It also contributes to building that sweet line down the middle of your chest.
    Bottom line, getting your incline bench press over 200lbs will result in your chest looking like a plate of armor. Along with low body fat levels :wink:

Exercise #2: Weighted Chin Ups
    Believe it or not, but the weighted chin up/pull up are the only things I do for my back development. I built up to 90lbs for 4 reps. The goal is 100lbs for 6 reps. 3 sets of heavy chins and my back doesn't stop growing! Weighted chin ups and pull ups also contribute to the coveted V shaped look, which is a very visually pleasing feature to have.

Exercise #3: Standing Overhead Press
    The final exercise on the list, but equally important. Everyone wants huge capped delts. But no one wants to shoulder press any heavy weight! I challenge you to build up your overhead press to your body weight (in pounds) for 5 reps, add in some lateral raises and face-pulls and come tell me how your shoulders have grown! This is such an effective full body exercise too, the core strength and coordination to push heavy weight overhead is no laughing matter.

Alright guys, lay it on me! What do you think of those 3 exercises?
    Do you incorporate them into your training?

And these are not the ONLY exercises in my routine. They are just the ones I put a huge emphasis on!

Squats
    Bench press
    Barbell row
    Over head press
    Deadlifts

Throw in some chin ups if you like but that's all the exercises anyone needs

• secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And saying squats are for women clearly shows you know nothing
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do also agree, I'm not sure how the whole female vs male thing came about with squatting, but both genders benefit from squatting. I'm personally not a fan of squatting, but that's mainly because to me it does more bad than good and I've developed leg strength from other good fundamental exercises. Everyone is different and the exercises listed by the OP are excellent for body building and strength, but remember there is a lot more to lifting than the exercises you choose. There's routines, i.e. how many days you lift, what type of rep scheme, things like that factor in based on your goals. I do think that those exercises the OP listed should be a main part of your program and secretsydney listed solid fundamental exercises as well, although I personally don't like Barbell Row and get way more from pull ups, lat pull downs, and low row.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

I did not know that squat training = bodybuilding. And why would you think that squatting would not make your stranger, and how does it interfere with your lifestyle ?

Finally, yes you can express your opinion and others are free to call you out for being full of it. It is a public thread after all.

There is really zero reason to not incorporate squats and deads into ones routine..
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    My apologies... I don't squat haha

That post was kinda leaning towards males.

But for females, sure! Squat

I work on weighted pistol squats and bulgarian split squats over normal squats nowadays. I feel they target the *kitten* more.

But I'm a man and want to squat... what do I do?

Can I continue to squat, or should I hand my man-card back in?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    My three exercises for a strong AND aesthetic physique are squats, barbell rows and chest focused dips.

Chest focused dips. Interesting. I'll have to try those. I'm just used to the tricep ones.
    The way I was taught to do them is put my legs forward and tuck my chin on my chest making sure my elbows flare out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Oh hey, amidst all the ridiculous flagging, something useful. Must do some research...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hang on

On the one hand you're saying squats are for girls

and on the other that squats built your legs too big

many girls are not prone to wanting big legs .. just strong ones

so which is it?

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

• abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hang on

On the one hand you're saying squats are for girls

and on the other that squats built your legs too big

many girls are not prone to wanting big legs .. just strong ones

so which is it?

stop using logic - you'll ruin the arguement!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you put a gun to my head and I could only do 3 moves? I'd probably cheat and say

A squat variation
    A deadlift variation
    An overhead variation

Then I could use variations of these to hit weak points that'd inevitably develop by using just 3 moves long term.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So, I am in my 40's, but I don't think OP's opinion of good aesthetics matches mine. Or my 21 yo daughter's. Her sweet boyfriend can, and occasionally does, squat her. (He can squat more than her weight on a barbell, I suspect a female body is harder to squat.) There are lots of young guys at our gym who want the OP's aesthetic. My daughter doesn't look at any of them twice, except to laugh occasionally. Trust me, OP, functional strength is sexier than good aesthetics.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

(edit- for spelling and things)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

How you doin?
  • ndj1979
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous. 70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body.

Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread- teaching news big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is better tahn telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

joroca for the win!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

How you doin?

super asstastic today thank you
    But we all want to know.... how YOU doing ;) wink wink nudge nudge- I've seen dem pants boi. thuper thexy!

• abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options

skipping to the point...

Anyway they:

chaffed together

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

(edit- for spelling and things)

And this is why we love Jo!
This discussion has been closed.