3 Exercises For A Strong/Aesthetic Physique

Options

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    My apologies... I don't squat haha

That post was kinda leaning towards males.

But for females, sure! Squat

I work on weighted pistol squats and bulgarian split squats over normal squats nowadays. I feel they target the *kitten* more.

SHOO SHOO GAINZ GOBLIN! SHOO!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

And I already guessed it....90% of them are saying to squat.

Listen......I used to squat. A lot actually.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

But when I looked in the mirror I was not happy with that I saw.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together
    I had stretch marks on my hips, thighs, and butt
    I looked funny in nice jeans or dress pants

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them
    They are a fantastic exercise for adding leg mass. I am not denying that.

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

(edit- for spelling and things)

I think this might have struck a nerve. Well said. Only, do you have something against pancakes? :#

LOL No, pancakes are delicious!!!! (especially with big ripe blueberries in them!!!!
    But they belong on my plate and I want to eat them. Pancake *kitten*- do not want on my plate and I do not want to eat them. It was funny- I was at my old gym once- and these two gangly teenagers were complaining about squats and I was literally right there and I was like WHY- squats are great. And they were like not really... 'but- butts are great' - nah- that's for girls.
    I just looked at them- here a woman way out of their "league" if you will was telling them she liked a nice *kitten* and they were disagreeing with me!!! I was like DUDE THIS IS LIFE ADVISE HERE!!! HOW YOU GONNA IGNORE THE HOT GIRL TELLING YOU WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I want to be able to slap a nice *kitten* too. why is that a guy only thing?!?!?! :( pout pout
    I'm going to start a group I think- He Squats Bro- so I can fully objectify and oogle man butt- because a good perky squat man butt is a beautiful thing.
  • secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All show and no go...... what's the point
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Did squats this morning. I must be a girl.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is not the first time I have seen OP give dodgy advice. He normally targets new people, who are looking to gain muscle/weight, who haven't a clue where to start and gives them this sort of advice. There was a poster the other day who was looking for exercise advice and he had a bad shoulder/back, cant remember which, who was or just had surgery on the area and the advice OP gave him would have made those areas worse. I think @ndj1979 called him out on it. If OP keeps giving this sort of advice, I would urge MFP to stop him from doing so before someone gets hurt listening to his advice.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I think squats are overrated, they are a great exercise, but you can accomplish just as much leg work by using a hack squat machine or leg press machine without messing up your lower back, then you're not lifting at all. Yea you can spend endless hours working on form, but spend the time working your muscles! As for the OP, I agree with most people here, that you should do things to maintain your leg strength, however it does NOT need to always be squats and deadlifts.

Except you won't. Machines provide a linear path and no challenge to achieve stability. You will get the big muscles involved, but the rectus abdominis, external and internal obliques, the transverse abdominis, the spinal erectors, and all the muscles in your hip girdle are going untrained. You are going to build big major muscles, but will have very low stability overall. I don't care how much you leg press, if you did that and ONLY that and tried to squat what would be considered an appropriate weight for who someone repped you press weight, you would likely be unable to do so, or even worse you would punch yourself a ticket to snap city. You should do a combination of squats and leg press, not just one or the other.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I think squats are overrated, they are a great exercise, but you can accomplish just as much leg work by using a hack squat machine or leg press machine without messing up your lower back, then you're not lifting at all. Yea you can spend endless hours working on form, but spend the time working your muscles! As for the OP, I agree with most people here, that you should do things to maintain your leg strength, however it does NOT need to always be squats and deadlifts.

Except you won't. Machines provide a linear path and no challenge to achieve stability. You will get the big muscles involved, but the rectus abdominis, external and internal obliques, the transverse abdominis, the spinal erectors, and all the muscles in your hip girdle are going untrained. You are going to build big major muscles, but will have very low stability overall. I don't care how much you leg press, if you did that and ONLY that and tried to squat what would be considered an appropriate weight for who someone repped you press weight, you would likely be unable to do so, or even worse you would punch yourself a ticket to snap city. You should do a combination of squats and leg press, not just one or the other.

That was one of the sexiest things I have read on here in a long time. Talk nerdy to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    This is not the first time I have seen OP give dodgy advice. He normally targets new people, who are looking to gain muscle/weight, who haven't a clue where to start and gives them this sort of advice. There was a poster the other day who was looking for exercise advice and he had a bad shoulder/back, cant remember which, who was or just had surgery on the area and the advice OP gave him would have made those areas worse. I think @ndj1979 called him out on it. If OP keeps giving this sort of advice, I would urge MFP to stop him from doing so before someone gets hurt listening to his advice.

I remember that thread, and yes I agree.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I knew it!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This thread sounds funny. The beach body with no legs.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Matt.......have you seen your calves.............

tumblr_n1cue4RGa01sjqlxio3_400.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP - I would have to agree with multiple posters in here....your advice at times is shoddy at best.

@JoRocka - my lady can bounce a quarter off my A** now that I've been doing squats for a couple of years......lulz
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'm a girl on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    I guess that makes me a girl Monday and Friday.

wait. hold on. I think I am.... never mind. we won't go there

@JoRocka - my lady can bounce a quarter off my A** now that I've been doing squats for a couple of years......lulz
    @jmule24 guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl
    talk dirty to me
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    First, I want to congratulate OP on inadvernatly avoid the bro-science of squats raise testosterone so they're necessary. At least I'm assuming he doesn't think that as squats are for women.
    Second, I wanted to know, what other exercises belong to genders? Will it be ok for women to do bulgarian squats or pistol squats? Are they pistol squats because you need a pistol, so to speak, to do them?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    First, I want to congratulate OP on inadvernatly avoid the bro-science of squats raise testosterone so they're necessary. At least I'm assuming he doesn't think that as squats are for women.
    Second, I wanted to know, what other exercises belong to genders? Will it be ok for women to do bulgarian squats or pistol squats? Are they pistol squats because you need a pistol, so to speak, to do them?

I've heard bridge lifts are a womans' thing
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

@jdscrubs32 - unfortunately "WOO" wins out a majority of the time on MFP......... You would think a reputable company like Under Armour would want to keep intregrity of it's forums at a hightened level....then again....it's corporate America....it's all about the "CLICKS for CASH!!!!!!"

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I did a pull up once, accidentally turned into a man.
This discussion has been closed.