Options
15678911»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Can't do 1 and 3 with my trashed shoulders. LOL.

I adore calf raises. Those, it doesn't matter too much if you have a machine or freeweights because the ROM is so small, but throw on 400+ pounds, and I feel like a rockstar....lol!

on the sitting down calf raise free weight machine?

Depended on the weight room. I have a metabolic muscle disorder, so I get weirdly strong for a girl in certain ways. It's mostly useless, but it's fun for that.

I would occasionally load up a bar and do it free weights, but honestly, above 300lbs, it REALLY hurts my shoulders, even with a towel, so I preferred the machines. (You can tell me how wrong I was. I was just dorking around.)

One weight room had this one: http://bodybuilding-wizard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/standing-machine-calf-raise.png

I REALLY preferred to abuse the leg press machine, though, over that because there was less pressure on my shoulders, which was available in the main weight room at our high school: https://gettingbetterstrongerfaster.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/leg-press.jpg

I only had access to a "proper" calf raise machine much later: http://incredibody.com/images/psc43x.jpg

I honestly can't remember how much I was throwing on the last at the time. 3x45 per side was super easy even after baby #1 (and a long weightlifting break). Calf raises are like my "stupid human trick."

I know someone in particular in this form who would love the effect you have from that. Not too sure of the disadvantages.

Lessee...

Myotonia and myalgia are the biggest.

I have the WORLD'S LOWEST lactate threshold. I trained my butt off your YEARS, and my best my ever mile was a pitiful 7:21 because of it. I've learned just this month that I can run INTERVALS practically forever in comparison. I've never actually felt my muscles TIRE OUT on a run before. It happened a little today. It was crazy and wonderful! (Due to doing intervals with correct recoveries.) I've also never had runs not be painful. To run without feeling like my muscles are being set on fire at a low burn the entire time is really amazing and novel to me. LOL.

But that doesn't mean that my fast-twitch muscles were good, either. I ran sprints no faster than the shot putt girls!!! (Keep in mind that I was 5'6" and 123lbs soaking wet!) And I was TRYING. My muscles...just don't go that fast!

I also have join instability and RIDICULOUSLY long healing times from muscular injury. A sprain will ache for the next 10+ years.

In addition, if I don't get the proper amounts of exercise, I'll develop fun side effects like nerve impingement, neuropathy, neuralgia, fasciculations, and parathesia.

I also have a slightly embarrassing action tremor. It mostly shows up in a way that other people notice when I'm tired. But people think I'm scared or nervous when it happens.

But like I said...stupid human tricks. LOL. I'm good at those!

I found that fascinating after I google a bunch of words in this comment.

I see why you started weight training early. It makes sense. Did you figure all of this out as a child?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

And I already guessed it....90% of them are saying to squat.

Listen......I used to squat. A lot actually.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

But when I looked in the mirror I was not happy with that I saw.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together
    I had stretch marks on my hips, thighs, and butt
    I looked funny in nice jeans or dress pants

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them
    They are a fantastic exercise for adding leg mass. I am not denying that.

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

(edit- for spelling and things)

I think this might have struck a nerve. Well said. Only, do you have something against pancakes? :#

LOL No, pancakes are delicious!!!! (especially with big ripe blueberries in them!!!!
    But they belong on my plate and I want to eat them. Pancake *kitten*- do not want on my plate and I do not want to eat them. It was funny- I was at my old gym once- and these two gangly teenagers were complaining about squats and I was literally right there and I was like WHY- squats are great. And they were like not really... 'but- butts are great' - nah- that's for girls.
    I just looked at them- here a woman way out of their "league" if you will was telling them she liked a nice *kitten* and they were disagreeing with me!!! I was like DUDE THIS IS LIFE ADVISE HERE!!! HOW YOU GONNA IGNORE THE HOT GIRL TELLING YOU WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I want to be able to slap a nice *kitten* too. why is that a guy only thing?!?!?! :( pout pout
    I'm going to start a group I think- He Squats Bro- so I can fully objectify and oogle man butt- because a good perky squat man butt is a beautiful thing.

Why so much flat butt shaming? Why do so many people think they can speak for the majority?

'Most women don't like pancake assses,' sounds an awful lot like, "most men prefer curves to bones.'

The word 'bones' is used to disparage thin women just as 'pancake' was used by you to disparage men with less developed or genetically smaller Hineys. OP was full of bad info and needed correcting (which you did nicely early on) but there's no reason to swing that big sword of self righteousness and wind up cutting far more people than just your intended target.

To be fair, the thread title is "Strong Aesthetic Physique". She is stating what she finds aesthetically pleasing, and I don't know anyone with a "pancake" behind that had a strong lower body.

To be fair, she claimed to speak for the aesthetic likes of 'most women'.

Gotcha, so that constitutes body shaming. I've got to say, while it is a generalization... I've never once come across a female that has favored a pancake behind on a man. Willing to bet if a poll was put in place (especially on this site) pancake would not prevail.

No, describing a body part with a negative term would be body shaming. Putting up a poll using the word pancake as a descriptor would make the poll also body shaming.

It's not hard. Don't speak for most people and dont use pejoratives. Or do and wear the mantle of know it all body shamer proudly.

What about underdeveloped versus developed? Does underdeveloped still hold a negative connotation?

It's all about connotation. I think you're smart enough to see when it is and when it's not. White knighting can sometimes blind people to the obvious however.

speaking of white knights...

how is the view from that ivory tower???

Keep deflecting. It's argueing the point well.

That White Knight Kite Shield tho

Fair point.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    gtmfitness wrote: »
    Wow......After coming back to my computer I did not expect to see so many notifications.

And I already guessed it....90% of them are saying to squat.

Listen......I used to squat. A lot actually.

The most I have ever squatted was 350lbs for 2 reps. Is that breaking records? No of course not. But I was happy with it at the time.

But when I looked in the mirror I was not happy with that I saw.

skipping to the point...

My legs were too big....IN MY OPINION goodness I can't even express my own opinion here.

Anyway they:

chaffed together
    I had stretch marks on my hips, thighs, and butt
    I looked funny in nice jeans or dress pants

I didn't like it and had the damn courage to chill on squats even though "everyone" says to do them
    They are a fantastic exercise for adding leg mass. I am not denying that.

But I see fitness as a tool to enhance my life. So I am going to use the exercises I know will produce the body I want. Shoot I only train 3 hours a week haha. (can't wait to hear the comments on this one!)

I am not training for bodybuilding....I am not training for a physique competition. I train to be strong, look good, and in a way that does not interfere with my lifestyle. Because I would much rather be doing other things than living in the gym or kitchen.

Okay sparky- the big problem is is that you came in here trying to give advice to people on stuff- and the reality is you kind of gave shoddy advice and purposefully chose to move away from an exercise (god lord why i have no idea but whatever to each their own) but to blatantly just disregard your ENTIRE lower body in your "3 exercises for a strong aesthetic physique" post- is ridiculous.

70% of your mass is made up in "lower body" (meaning legs and trunk) which are effectively and efficiently trained by squats and deads.

Secondly to come in here and say- well it's for males not for females- that's *kitten* sexist and ignorant.

No one gives a crap how long you train- Honestly: 3 x 60 min sessions is MORE than adequate for someone who has a decent base- so you're over thinking our estimation of what is required to maintain a body. Did I mention no one gives a crap about that?

But you can't just stroll in and give off the cuff highly sexists advise because YOU have chosen to ignore your lower body- that's BAD.

I do almost NO direct upper body work and I have a solid lat spread-big 3 have done a really great job for that and selecting over all exercise instead of isolations has served me well.

Teaching newbs big compound lifts and steering them away from complicated unnecessary for them isolations is generally better than telling them to avoid all lower body.

And finally- I effing HATE when guys go- squats and nice a$$es are for girls. seriously- it's stupid.

DUDES LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO YOU. MOST GIRLS DO NOT WANT A GUY WITH A PANCAKE A%%.

(edit- for spelling and things)

I think this might have struck a nerve. Well said. Only, do you have something against pancakes? :#

LOL No, pancakes are delicious!!!! (especially with big ripe blueberries in them!!!!
    But they belong on my plate and I want to eat them. Pancake *kitten*- do not want on my plate and I do not want to eat them. It was funny- I was at my old gym once- and these two gangly teenagers were complaining about squats and I was literally right there and I was like WHY- squats are great. And they were like not really... 'but- butts are great' - nah- that's for girls.
    I just looked at them- here a woman way out of their "league" if you will was telling them she liked a nice *kitten* and they were disagreeing with me!!! I was like DUDE THIS IS LIFE ADVISE HERE!!! HOW YOU GONNA IGNORE THE HOT GIRL TELLING YOU WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I want to be able to slap a nice *kitten* too. why is that a guy only thing?!?!?! :( pout pout
    I'm going to start a group I think- He Squats Bro- so I can fully objectify and oogle man butt- because a good perky squat man butt is a beautiful thing.

Why so much flat butt shaming? Why do so many people think they can speak for the majority?

'Most women don't like pancake assses,' sounds an awful lot like, "most men prefer curves to bones.'

The word 'bones' is used to disparage thin women just as 'pancake' was used by you to disparage men with less developed or genetically smaller Hineys. OP was full of bad info and needed correcting (which you did nicely early on) but there's no reason to swing that big sword of self righteousness and wind up cutting far more people than just your intended target.

you must be a blast at parties...

The horse in which she rode in on, is quite too high for her to descend from........

Why because she has an opinion different to yours. How dare she

Nope, she's entitled to her opinion as am I. The way in which she is parading around this thread is something to be desired by many........

I see her white knight has come to rescue her!!!
    I am not white

....and your point is??

The point is I am not white

Ok, I'm Italian ..

I'm German/ Irish/ Hungarian. What do I win?

A banana muffin. ;)

I think I'd rather have an Egg McMuffin.

I'm off to go do my squats

Not squats!!.....isn't that dangerous, lol. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This thread seems to be going pretty well, I think.

I thought so too, and then I read it and saw all ridiculousness in this thread. So I will lock it. Too much drama which violate:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

And then you can throw in some of this:

17. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language

No explicit, sexual, insulting or vulgar content including expletives, or sexual innuendo, will be permitted. This includes the use of non-alphabetical characters to approximate expletives or other objectionable language. Publicly visible text on MyFitnessPal should be work-place friendly.

We reserve the right to moderate a topic or post based on the intent of the sexual material it contains. Posts intended to titillate will be removed. Posts with medical or clinical themes related to sex or sexual health may be permitted, at our discretion.

And much much more.

psuLemon

This discussion has been closed.