Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    Wish I had something to add lol but my sub topic got deleted sooooo

*sits patiently for work to end*

Didn't your girlfriend teach you proper forum etiquette??? (no-topic jumping/derailing/etc...) lulz....

OP - IMO - FWIW sugar didn't make you sick......

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but could it be more a matter of eating too much rather than WHAT you ate? You said you went over your calories. You don't say by how much, but if you ate a normal day's worth of food and then stuffed down two pieces of cake, that could make you feel sick and you'd likely feel just as sick if you stuffed down the same amount of broccoli. Except no one would stuff down that much broccoli. ;)

I can put away some serious quantities of broccoli, especially if I'm on a binge. There are times I want to eat everything regardless of feeling full, and sometimes it doesn't matter what.

^And after most of those binges, I usually feel nauseous and end up in gastrointestinal distress. My guess is the quantity since it's happened from broccoli, chips and snacky foods, large quantities of queso, bread dipped in oil, candy, etc. There's no real common theme between them except way too much food.

And as a side note, I find a common side effect of gastrointestinal distress is nausea, so feeling nauseous could also mean that your intestines hate you. Again, I think that reaction can vary widely, and as many people have pointed out, eating something that you haven't in a long time can often induce a reaction in your gut. Someone mentioned that issue with raw veggies; not that uncommon.

If you like the cake and don't want to suffer through, try ONE piece, and maybe don't wait months in between having it. If it still doesn't agree with you, eh, no reason to make yourself suffer for it. Not all treats come in cake form.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    To reiterate in attempt to underail the thread, I think OP has the right ideas about why this happened. I can respect people who clean eat to feel better, or because it's a tool to keep within your calorie limit.

And OP - I have also wanted to puked intentionally due to a sour, sour stomach. IMO - it was better than the pain I was experiencing. That's not an eating disorder; otherwise, we should all get counselors for our dogs because that's exactly what they do and it seems to work.

You are missing the entire point. To reiterate:

The OP clearly has some issues with food that does not fit into her definition of clean eating. She had some and tried to will herself to throw up, even though she did not end up doing so. After eating the cake, she also had questions about whether she should give up "junk food".

On the surface, this conversation might be about her getting sick from the food, but there's a whole lot more going on under the surface. Nothing wrong with that, though, as long as the underlying issues are addressed.

You are right that people need to eat in the way they feel keeps them in a calorie deficit, but demonizing food is never a good thing.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I wonder if it WAS acid reflux. I have GERD and, believe me, it can mess with your stomach at times. For me, it flares if I eat too much spicy food, or if overeat. This can come from overeating prior to have a slice of cake, too, but I understand it was not the sugar, gooey, lovely cake that make my acid reflux flair, but all the darned food that day.
  • jmule24
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why none of the "Stop demonizing sugar" people are in the stir fry or other salt threads saying "stop demonizing salt." Is it not ok to kick sugar but ok to kick salt?

Salt is the lessor of two evils..... That's why.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why none of the "Stop demonizing sugar" people are in the stir fry or other salt threads saying "stop demonizing salt." Is it not ok to kick sugar but ok to kick salt?
    Sigh. I am genuinely curious as to the appearance of the acceptability of salt demonizing.

I am also genuinely curious as to how I can work everyday with people from Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asian, Latin America, and the Caribbean, for whom many English is not their first language, and have them understand me every time, as opposed to here, where people frequently do not understand me.

obvious derailing is obvious
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OP, have another piece of cake (chocolate kind), because ......CAKE!
    It probably had something bad in there that made you feel ick.
  • jmule24
    Options
    Sigh. I am genuinely curious as to the appearance of the acceptability of salt demonizing.

I am also genuinely curious as to how I can work everyday with people from Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asian, Latin America, and the Caribbean, for whom many English is not their first language, and have them understand me every time, as opposed to here, where people frequently do not understand me.

Stop derailing please, start a new thread if you'd like.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm curious as to why none of the "Stop demonizing sugar" people are in the stir fry thread saying "stop demonizing salt." Is it not ok to kick sugar but ok to kick salt?

Obvious flame baiting is obvious.

NicholsonShiningHeadNod.gif