Husband sabotage

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Lady better stay in a room with no windows, tv or books or anything.

TV has food ads to sabotage her, books might refer to eating junk food, and OMG THE REAL WORLD! IT HAS JUNK FOOD IN ALL CORNERS! Waiting to sabotage her.

The world is unsupportive of dieters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think it is time to let this thread die ....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think it is time to let this thread die ....

Your not the boss of me!!
    cartman-ill-do-what-i-want.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Anyone thinking in a mindset of "sabotage" is starting off on the wrong foot. I'm not even going to address the specific poster in this thread, I'm just going to put the whole thought out there.

Getting control over our own food intake is no one else's job. The world does not have to accommodate the fact that each of us have issues with it. That's our problem. We need to learn to handle multiple temptations in all sorts of situations, and that begins at home.

Expecting someone else to change because you're changing? Flip that scenario around? How put upon would you feel? And before anyone jumps in and says that they'd do it for their spouse out of WUV, think long and hard about changing all your habits out of the blue.

So all of you who believe in the concept of sabotage, just how do you deal with temptation at all? Honestly.

Weight loss and maintenance have abysmal long-term success rates, and I think a mindset like this might be one of the many factors why.

There is some truth to this, but expecting your spouse to at least not make a difficult thing more difficult is far from the same thing as expecting the entire world to accommodate you.

How about the person on the diet making the non-dieters lives more difficult?

I'll confess to not knowing how missing donuts in one location is this impossible hardship. Personally I can't remember when last I bought donuts, yet I eat them all the time. ALL the time

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I never really understood the idea that "being supportive" seems to mean that the one being supportive has to make all the same changes that the one being supported does. Doesn't seem fair or reasonable. He lives there, too. If he wants to have a donut, he should be able to have a dout in his own home.
  • TexasTeacake
    TexasTeacake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is cool to say you must never ever have sweets while I'm on a diet, but the question of why should your husband or wife change their regular methods of sweets consumption while you're trying to lose weight should be "because you're married, and when you're married you are not alone, you rely on each other and are each other's support. Sacrifice is sometimes part of that." It's like saying if you got sick, should your spouse go off and leave you there sick just because THEY aren't sick and shouldn't be affected by your sickness? Well, you are putting them out with your limitations, right?

Hubby mountain bikes and breaks his leg. All of a sudden, wife has more to do because he broke his leg. Why should she have to do things for him because this happened? Why should her life be disrupted? Well, I thought that was kind of obvious. If you really don't want to be responsible for someone else, don't get married or have kids.

You're not asking your husband to have looks-enhancing surgery just to please your whims, you're not demanding from him, you're not threatening to punish him, you're not saying he can't EVER have a sweet or hang out with friends etc. You're simply saying, hey person I love and who loves me, it would be really helpful to me in reaching this very difficult goal if you would refrain from putting sweets where I can see them. Right now I don't have the willpower to say no, but I'm working on that. I'm in a bad place and need a boost.

I'm pretty shocked really at how many people say that you should go this alone, it's YOUR problem only, and you're being wrong and insensitive to the needs of others by asking them to support your healthy goals. In fact, for some people weight loss can actually save their lives. I am appalled that any spouse would say "Have fun trying desperately to fend off diabetes. I'm gonna go gorge myself on these delicious treats as I usually do because I can. Sucks to be you, honey!"