Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Im always hungry no matter what. I was eating 4500 calories a day before I started eating 1100-1600 cals a day, Im a overeater. Im always hungry.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Im always hungry no matter what. I was eating 4500 calories a day before I started eating 1100-1600 cals a day, Im a overeater. Im always hungry.

It might help you to pay more attention to what you're eating if you're not feeling full. Protein is very filling, and you're not getting much of it.

• fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

It's because of the types of food you're eating. Calories matter but do does protein. You're eating a lot of high calorie low nutrient food.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

This used to be me, too. After I changed my diet, even though I was eating MORE food at less calories (by cutting the low-nutrient junk and increasing my protein and fiber), I was low-grade hungry all the time for a couple of weeks. My body adapted, though. I think exercising helps, too.

A lot of people here will say that it doesn't matter what you eat, just how many calories you consume. Yeah, that's true to a point, but in my experience, the problem with eating crap, no-nutrient, high-calorie food that doesn't fill you up is that you always MORE of it. When I was eating that way, I was always. hungry. All the time! And no wonder!

When I stopped buying crap food and just accepted that I would eat other things (except every now and then... I can't quit nachos), a lot of the stress lifted. I wasn't struggling with eating one crescent roll and KNOWING there were more on the pan in the other room (knowing they were there just made me hungrier). I think it's a mental challenge more than anything else.

It's tough, and I know your thyroid issue has to make it tougher, @kristinhull1. Try upping your protein and fiber. That will probably help keep you full. I really wish you the best of luck! <3
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im upping the protein and fiber.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Im upping the protein and fiber.
    Fiber is fantastic for staying full. It hangs out in the stomach longer than other stuff. Some people say they feel fullest on fat or protein, though. For me, it's fiber, for sure.

If you're cutting way back on calories, try to make them count. Eat healthy foods that give you lots of good nutrients. Fruits, veggies, whole grain breads, low-fat dairy and lean, white meats.

Good luck!!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you =)
  • maryfoto
    maryfoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a dr who specializes in weight loss ? There's so much to it
    I too have tlow thyroid issues since having kids and was about 20 lbs heavier
    My dr evaluated my thyroid issues in great depth ( she explained some doctors just look at one thing with thyroid ) anyways, she knew exactly how to help it with meds . In turn after being on the correct meds it helped me to feel better and gAvee more motivation . She also gave me some appetite suppressants temporarily to help me get my weight under control . It's hard ! But if you are suffering from thyroid issues make sure you are seeing a good dr who understands it .
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I hope im seeing the right Dr.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Not if he prescribed iodine instead of synthroid...
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Not if he prescribed iodine instead of synthroid...

+1

• amb_321
    amb_321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto from the childhood (more than 27 years). It is possible to lose weight. First of all, to stabilize the TSH by the appropriate meds. Then firmly want it. Since February 2013 I lost 35 kg (about 77 pounds). This is about 1 kg / month. Patience. People write a lot about food and counting calories - OK, but how much do you exercise and how? "As much as you can" is not very precise. The minimum is 40 minutes 6 times a week. It can be a quick walk.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    amb_321 wrote: »
    People write a lot about food and counting calories - OK, but how much do you exercise and how? "As much as you can" is not very precise. The minimum is 40 minutes 6 times a week. It can be a quick walk.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

Thyroid disease can cause fatigue—and require more frequent &/or longer rest & recovery periods. Listen to your body, and do not overdo it.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    My first doctor gave me iodine. I am seeing a new Dr now. And im walking 4 times a week for a hour and doing dumbells everyday while my Sons sleeping.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten a lot of good advice, but I just want to agree that you've cut out a lot of stuff from your diet in attempts to lose, but likely your hunger will be what ends up "sabotaging" you. I did the same thing, ate too little volume of food (because it was higher calorie) and would get super hungry, and then binge on everything in sight.

Instead of looking at things as what you have to give up, look at what you can add to your diet. Your diet seems to be relatively carb heavy, which is a two fold problem: many people with thyroid issues do better on a lower carb diet (lower, no low carb or no carb necessarily), and carbs can be digested quickly and aren't as satiating. Try adding in some veggies with your breakfast. A scramble of your egg whites with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, etc would be much more filling. And if you added in the same number of calories of veggies as in your toast, you'd likely triple the volume of food you were eating.
  • ezapp09
    ezapp09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting your carbs? I have a thyroid issue as well but found for my body, I don't handle carbs well. I found when I stay away from any breads, pasta, refined sugars & dairy products, I lose weight & feel better. Also, when I'm on top of it— meal prepping helps & weighing food is SO important!! Stay away from condiments & salad dressings, I learned from my nutritionist that I was adding 100+ calories a meal by using condiments & dressings! Lean meats, lots of veggies are the trick that works for me. I will tell you, it's VERY hard to eliminate all that. I still struggle daily myself but the best I've ever felt is when I followed those rules. Everyone's bodies are different but it's worth a shot! If you want a "weight-loss thyroid buddy" I'd be all about it :)
  • jotti101
    jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi
  • jotti101
    Options
    Oops sent by mistake.
    I suffer from an under active thyroid and I can tell you, you can loose weight but its harder to keep it off.
  • jotti101
    Options
    All I can say is that if you have an underactive thyroid your dr shouldnt have let you leave the surgery without giving you a prescription as you cannot manage this condition without medication.
    Confirm your condition and then deal with what you have or not!
  • sarahbe89
    sarahbe89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im practically starving myself. Im eat 3 egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, 1 cup of soup with veggies and a whole wheat shredded chicken breast with bbq sauce and a very small dinner.

I have hypothyroidism as well and I've been struggling for over a year trying to lose the weight with no avail until I did a diet over haul. There are SOOO many foods that are bad for you when you have this condition. Gluten, soy, sugar, fat, processed foods, alcohol... The list continues! It's not just about the amount of calories you are eating but also what those calories are made from. I have in the past two months lost 22 lbs simply by taking my meds regularly like I am supposed too and eliminating the foods on the DONT EAT IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROIDISM list. It's a struggle because your food options are limited but with some will power and creativity it CAN be done. Also I haven't even added in exercise yet so I'm sure once I do I will lose even more even quicker.