Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options
1234568»

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    sarahbe89 wrote: »
    Im practically starving myself. Im eat 3 egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, 1 cup of soup with veggies and a whole wheat shredded chicken breast with bbq sauce and a very small dinner.

I have hypothyroidism as well and I've been struggling for over a year trying to lose the weight with no avail until I did a diet over haul. There are SOOO many foods that are bad for you when you have this condition. Gluten, soy, sugar, fat, processed foods, alcohol... The list continues! It's not just about the amount of calories you are eating but also what those calories are made from. I have in the past two months lost 22 lbs simply by taking my meds regularly like I am supposed too and eliminating the foods on the DONT EAT IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROIDISM list. It's a struggle because your food options are limited but with some will power and creativity it CAN be done. Also I haven't even added in exercise yet so I'm sure once I do I will lose even more even quicker.

This is not necessarily true. I eat all these things and have either lost or maintained my weight.

You may find its easier to create a deficit this way and some people find low carb more productive, but it's 100% not necessary to cut out all of these things. Take your meds, make sure they have the right dosage, and find a sustainable way of eating for you.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Im practically starving myself. Im eat 3 egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, 1 cup of soup with veggies and a whole wheat shredded chicken breast with bbq sauce and a very small dinner.

I have hypothyroidism as well and I've been struggling for over a year trying to lose the weight with no avail until I did a diet over haul. There are SOOO many foods that are bad for you when you have this condition. Gluten, soy, sugar, fat, processed foods, alcohol... The list continues! It's not just about the amount of calories you are eating but also what those calories are made from. I have in the past two months lost 22 lbs simply by taking my meds regularly like I am supposed too and eliminating the foods on the DONT EAT IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROIDISM list. It's a struggle because your food options are limited but with some will power and creativity it CAN be done. Also I haven't even added in exercise yet so I'm sure once I do I will lose even more even quicker.

CI<CO still works for people taking thyroid medication. I'm not too sure it's the specific foods that matter as much as maintaining a deficit and making sure the foods you eat fill you up and leave you satisfied (so you don't lose energy nor binge later).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have in the past two months lost 22 lbs simply by taking my meds regularly like I am supposed too and eliminating the foods on the DONT EAT IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROIDISM list.

You lost weight by eating fewer calories than you burned—period. According to the Mayo Clinic (and my endocrinologist):
    Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm less than hypo, as thyroids go. I don't have one. I do have pills, though, and the pills are so very much better than the thyroid ever was. I do lose weight. 88 pounds, so far. I would never suggest that if I can, everyone can. But I have, after many years of battling, begun losing weight after the thyroid issue was corrected. I eat gluten, soy (a lot), sugar, a little fat and a few processed foods...and I've lost weight.

Thyroids are not fixed with foods. They're fixed by doctors.

I have heard that the Paleo Scammers have moved from saying their diet fixes cancer and schizophrenia to saying it fixes thyroids. It does not. This idea is spreading and it's a total lie. Don't believe it.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I doubt it, there are other women here with the hypothroidism and they have successfully lost weight.
    I am one of those, and I can confirm that whereas it is maybe a little harder, it is feasible. I lost about 0.8lbs a week, with a severely underactive thyroid (which I didn't know about ... now I am on syntheroid and it's obviously a lot better).

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'm less than hypo, as thyroids go. I don't have one. I do have pills, though, and the pills are so very much better than the thyroid ever was. I do lose weight. 88 pounds, so far. I would never suggest that if I can, everyone can. But I have, after many years of battling, begun losing weight after the thyroid issue was corrected. I eat gluten, soy (a lot), sugar, a little fat and a few processed foods...and I've lost weight.

I have heard that the Paleo Scammers have moved from saying their diet fixes cancer and schizophrenia to saying it fixes thyroids. It does not. This idea is spreading and it's a total lie. Don't believe it.

I cannot stress the bolded enough. There is no thyroid diet. If you have issues with these foods it is due to a separate medical condition.

You lose weight by maintaining a caloric deficit.
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have hypo and once I got onto medicine, the weight just started coming off. 65+lbs later and I am still losing, though not quite at my goal yet. Make sure that you take care of yourself and get that second opinion so if you need to be on meds, you are. You will feel a lot better after a month or so.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

I cannot stress the bolded enough. There is no thyroid diet. If you have issues with these foods it is due to a separate medical condition.

You lose weight by maintaining a caloric deficit.

If you are Hashimotos, and this is causing your thyroid issues, there is a very high correlation with other auto-immune things like Celiacs. Also lots of people who are hypo have other digestive issues (like IBS) that are also triggered by the same foods. Eating the right diet is absolutely critical to feeling well. A friend of mine is hashimotos + hypo + a few other things (not celiac), she is on a very strict diet, the AIP diet, because she feels awful if not.

OP, I am still working on losing, but I will tell you what helps me to feel best. I need to eat lower card, low carb feels awful. This for me means, if I am eating 3 meals a day, I will have 1-2 servings of carbs at two of them. More seems to make me gain. I also need enough protein and enough fat Low fat also feels crappy. Zone-Isn ratios work best for me, but I do not strictly portion it. Next up, I am going to see if giving up gluten solves my digestive issues. I have found there is a ceiling on both dairy and gluten and I feel awful

Also, if my thyroid and hormones are out of whack, I gain very very easily.

My other goal is to boost my metabolism with strength training. There is a lot of controversy over long hard cardio, so you may need to play around with workout types. I need the workouts to keep my appetite in check and keep my sleep high quality.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    My DW has hypothyroidism. Is currently on meds. She lost 35lbs doing 2 things only: eating less calories than she burns and using ballroom dancing to help create a calorie deficit.
    I've also worked with several people who have had hypothyroidism. Results happen if calorie deficit is consistent. It still comes down to CICO if there are no other underlying health issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As others have stated hammer down on the Dr about your Thyroid.. also make sure to ADD reverse T3 to the tests listed above... and DO NOT let the Dr just throw you synthetic levothyroxine (synthroid) and call it good, the body needs much more than just the single thyroid hormone.T1, T2,T3, and T4. Personally my body did not convert the T4 to T3 effectively, so the natural Desiccated Thryoid Hormone works far and away better. They need to treat your symptoms until they are gone..
    Read up on Thyroids..
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

I have Hypothyroid as well as Hashimoto's and have no problem losing weight when needed, granted I am on the proper dose of meds..

Keep in mind when eating at a calorie deficit, the bodies natural response to lowered intake of fuel is to lower T3 function to preserve fat stores, (this doesnt happen fast) but over a period of continued deficit... pretty much goes along with "adaptive thermogenesis"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Im trying not to. Thats the hard part. Last week the scale went down everyday. This week its went up up up and ive been doing and eating the exact same things I did the last week. Just totally discouraged me.
    Weight loss isn't linear. Also things that affect weight loss are other hormones like cortisol and GH. Stress will help to retain water and higher cortisol. Lack of sleep affects it.

Don't live by the scale, go by other indications like looser clothing and overall how your physical being is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png