Why we need GMO

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    People using an app to track food intake do not need GMO.

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.

How, exactly, do GMOs reduce genetic diversity?
  • jwdieter
    Options

"Natural" selection and marketing. If people are growing one strain instead of 10, that's a decrease in genetic diversity. When something goes wrong with the supercrop, and the supercrop is 98% of supply, that's not a good situation.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    bump. I want to read this later
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Do you need HFCS too?
    How about animal cloning?

Natural foods are pretty amazing things, why screw with that?

Metabolically speaking how does HFCS differ from sucrose?

On all the processes whereby a person metabolizes these things, I am not entirely conversant. What I can say though, is that I am terribly allergic to corn and by extension HFCS, and I am not to cane sugar. So can say pretty definitely they aren't identical. And also, those corn grower's association commercials irritate the heck out of me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Before this thread goes to hell... I agree with you, OP. People do not seem to realize that even good ol' artificial selection produces some pretty "unnatural" things, too.

While it's an intriguing experiment of what can be done with genetic modification, no amount of selective breeding will put the genes of a fish into a tomato plant.
    2. Roundup ready soybeans. Here the gene codes for roundup resistance, allowing the use of roundup to kill weeds. Weeding is needing, organic agriculture tills the soil, requiring a lot of work, fossil fuel and cause soil erosion. Alternative herbicides used have a much larger environmental impact. So benefit, higher yield, use of less toxic herbicide and less soil erosion. Downsides none that I can see.

As someone else pointed out, like all things in nature, the weeds are starting to become resistant to Roundup and stronger and stronger formulas are required.

There's also the fact that Monsanto produces both Roundup and Roundup Ready crops. While it may technically be legal, there is a bit of an ethical minefield to be had there, and given that there isn't really any competition in things like "Rounup Ready" compatible products, the "free market forces" kind of fall on their faces.
    By the way, don't shed too many tears for farmers. It IS hard, unpredictable work, but the median income of farmers who do it for a living is over $75K which is WAY over the median non-farm income. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm-economy/farm-household-well-being/farm-household-income.aspx#.UcBWe_nVBRY

You realize that the chart in your link shows the farms lose money, and that their income comes from "off-farm", right? And the ones with the largest income from "farm related activities" are "households associated with commercial farms."

From the link:
    The slight decrease in farm income among intermediate farms households combined with the large increase for commercial farm households explains why median farm income for the entire farm household population decreased while mean farm income increased in 2011. Most farm income is concentrated in households associated with commercial farms, which represent 10.3 percent of the farm population. Consequently, their farm income tends to influence mean farm income more than median farm income.

In other words, the big farms are getting bigger, but the smaller ones aren't growing so much. There's also the matter that a lot of the costs of the large farms aren't actually paid for by said farms, making them look even more profitable than they should be. ( http://www.farmaid.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=qlI5IhNVJsE&b=2723877&ct=8214687 )
    You guys are the ones making the claim so you have to provide evidence. The burden of proofs on you.

According to the FDA, foods aren't to be sold as "food" unless they've been deemed GRAS (generally regarded as safe). To get that qualification, there has to be sufficient evidence that the food doesn't cause harm. (That's the theory, anyway. In practice, the FDA is a little weird about how much evidence is sufficient. See also: highly refined vs unrefined Stevia)

That would mean, then, that the burden of proof that GMO foods are safe is, in fact, on the GMO food producers.
    Don't really see what the problem is here:

If one doesn't like GMO foods, then shop where they aren't sold. That takes care of the labeling issue. If one shops where there might be (more than likely will be) GMO in the product, then expect it.

If I grow tomatoes and sell you tomatoes, but I don't tell anyone that they're GMO tomatoes, how do you know that I'm selling you GMO tomatoes? (Hint - you don't.)

That's kind of the underlying problem. If labeling isn't required, then they're not obligated to tell anyone anything on the matter.

What would happen if ingredient lists stopped being mandatory and, therefore, producers stopped printing them (after all, it saves ink to not print that)? Even on the benign end, millions of people would no longer be able to buy anything beyond produce, due to the potential for allergens. However, by requiring ingredient lists, people can make more informed decisions, and don't have to make every single item of food (and in some cases, non-food) from scratch, but can pick up even the occasional "convenience food," because they can see by the label what goes into the product and that it's safe for them.

The purpose of labels is to inform the consumer about what has gone into the things they're buying. Whether they choose to buy or not buy something due to what's on the label is up to the consumer. If artificial genetic modification is indeed harmless, then there should be no issue making it known that a given product is genetically modified. From there, let the market decide what it wants.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

Monocrops and monocultures are ruining the soil.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Nah, there's got to be a plethora of correlations we can add to the list.:happy:
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched enough on this issue, however, something is wrong in this country when our children, especially, have more health problems, for which the causes can't be found. Perhaps in my day (born in 1952) this stuff was around but unidentified. I, for one, being in the nutritional industry all of my working years to present, see so many miracle cures come and go, that I don't take supplements, but can see the foreign registrations requiring non-GMO, non-irradiated ingredient requirements. So, to make a long story short, I opt for non-GMO.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

Those are poor farming practices, not the fault of GMOs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    38856853.jpg

LOL Sadly too familiar around these parts, and from what I read and see, everywhere around the world. There are lots of small farmers who've been shut down by Monsanto, because their crops were found to have contained GMO strains.

It is just a travesty that the courts allow Monsanto to get away with these tactics. Their genetically modified crops are not something their farming customers can contain to their own fields. It seems to me that the plaintiffs *should* be the farmers whose crops have been contaminated by Monsanto products.

There was a class action lawsuit filed recently by Farmers against Monsanto. I am sure with the MPA that this will be thrown out of court.

The USA is anything but a free country. They will force this crap upon the American people all the while other countries are telling Monsanto to kick rocks. We live in a nation of pure stupidity and ignorance.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hogwash monsanto

See, I was actually hoping for interesting discussion rather than the monsanto haters just to reitierate that they hate monsanto without discussing anything. Oh well. Maybe I will just check back tomorrow.

Well the OP didn't cite one study suggesting gmo's were safe for consumption for humans or animals sooo? Kind shot himself in the foot there.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ grants GMO juggernaut Monsanto full immunity from federal courts in the event that one of its genetically modified creations is found to be causing damage to health or the environment. Essentially, it grants Monsanto power over the United States federal government... sounds totally legit to me, you know the power to have full immunity because your crops are so safe. I am no scientist but does this not seem slightly nefarious.
    There is no "Monsanto Protection Act" - that was a scare term created by opponents to GMOs. It doesn't grant anyone immunity either. In the event of a legal challenge regarding the safety of a previously approved GMO, it allows the USDA to grant a temporary status allowing farmers to continue to grow those crops while the legal challenge works its way through the courts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Assurance_Provision

Umm, where do you get that nonsense from?

There are Senators looking to get the Act overturned. It is very real.

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) is pushing to introduce an amendment to an upcoming farm bill that would overturn protections that allow Monsanto and other producers of genetically modified food and seeds to continue growing food a court has deemed potentially hazardous.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you live in North America and eat anything containing any part of corn or soybeans then you are eating GMO foods unless you grew it yourself from heritage seeds. You don't need a label, unless it says otherwise (and I work with organics and know that can be a load of crap too) then assume you are eating GMO foods. There are very few farmers growing non GMO corn or beans and even if they are it all gets mixed together at the elevators anyway.
  • jwdieter
    Options

GMOs are not as yet self-aware. So nothing is truly their fault.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    IMO - People who have weren't raised on a farm, been on a farm long enough to understand all working components, or driven a planter - please leave this forum, your ignorance is annoying me :huh:

While I disagree with you specifically, I do understand your point in the sense that there seems to be a general belief that educating one's self on an issue, and considering the opinions of those more experienced and educated on a subject, is not necessary. It applies here as much as it applies to people who don't bother to listen to experienced weight lifters, dieters, runners, etc. before they form their opinions as to why a specific program just won't work for them. People would rather watch a "documentary" full of hyperbole and outright lies than to listen to calm and reasoned opinions.

This was said much more eloquently then my original post. Gracias :flowerforyou:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Farmers are being FORCED into this, not by choice, but my force.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    IMO - People who have weren't raised on a farm, been on a farm long enough to understand all working components, or driven a planter - please leave this forum, your ignorance is annoying me :huh:

Thank you! As a farmer myself, it is really frustrating to read debates like this. I bet most on this board read one article, or talked to one person that is either for or against GMOs and that is what they base their entire decision on. Ignorance is a plague.

don't you dare enlighten us with your knowledge! just talk about how much smarter you are!

i want GMOs labeled, period.

I attempted to respond to a few, but there gets to be a point where are so many uneducated responses that it's frusterating & this was my frusterated response. Also, an online forum isn't really a reliable source to be enlighted with. However, I do understand your position where you what GMOs labeled & can support that
This discussion has been closed.