Why we need GMO

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Perhaps over consumption is the cause of obesity?

Perhaps life is the cause of over consumption? Without one, we wouldn't have the other. Therefore address life and ignore the rest.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    anyone that argues for gmos is a nut.

No, I just don't believe in your religion.

religion? its called common sense. I dont want genetically ALTERED food tyvm

Do you eat bananas?

oh here we go!

LOL well I was just trying to (not so subtly) point out that you were the one taking the extreme stance on the issue....:flowerforyou:

well I am because to me its common sense! i honestly dont want scientists in lab coats dictating the future mutations of my food. I think the years of life on earth prove we dont need to "play god" on this one..
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Calling someone a 'nut' because they disagree with you isn't exactly common sense. It's inflammatory and if you don't want genetically altered food then that's fine. I don't care, just get out of my face if I do want genetically altered food.

Lol, good point, but I just dont understand arguing FOR scientists in a lab playing god with crops seeds. Who reaps the benefits? Is it our kids nutrition. Lets remember we have a childhood obesity problem in this country and no one ever asks "COULD IT BE THE FOOD?" people dont want to grow fresh anymore, they want easy and quick. I worked on an organic farm this summer and let m tell you, theres nothing easy about farming. Its so hard, and these farmers get so little out of it, pretty soon there will be no farms and we will be growing our food in test tubes..I cant imagine arguing for industries that take the Food out of farming.

and perhaps its also whats IN the food we eat?

LOL

GMO makes things magically more calorically dense. Sounds legit.

if-you-could-reason-wth-religious-people-there-would-be-no-religious-people-house-500x375.jpg
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

Calling someone a 'nut' because they disagree with you isn't exactly common sense. It's inflammatory and if you don't want genetically altered food then that's fine. I don't care, just get out of my face if I do want genetically altered food.

Lol, good point, but I just dont understand arguing FOR scientists in a lab playing god with crops seeds. Who reaps the benefits? Is it our kids nutrition. Lets remember we have a childhood obesity problem in this country and no one ever asks "COULD IT BE THE FOOD?" people dont want to grow fresh anymore, they want easy and quick. I worked on an organic farm this summer and let m tell you, theres nothing easy about farming. Its so hard, and these farmers get so little out of it, pretty soon there will be no farms and we will be growing our food in test tubes..I cant imagine arguing for industries that take the Food out of farming.

Last year when the nation experienced record drought, the corn & beans grown in (let's say) the 60s would not have survived...just saying
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So if that was the case, there would be plenty of evidence of people eating in a deficit or maintenance yet getting fatter solely due to what's in their foods. Now is there such evidence?
    Options

So if that was the case, there would be plenty of evidence of people eating in a deficit or maintenance yet getting fatter solely due to what's in their foods. Now is there such evidence?

There is corn, corn syrup in just about everything. Im sorry, I meant genetically modified corn and corn syrup...
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    All of a sudden Im hungry.
    A healthy debate makes me want a burger and fries from the local Grill
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    GMO has the potential to save the environment though less intensive/harmful farming, biofuels, carbon sequestration... the possibilities are endless. Monsanto is not a great corporate steward, but the technology itself has loads of potential.
    Options

Last year when the nation experienced record drought, the corn & beans grown in (let's say) the 60s would not have survived...just saying

so we take it upon ourselves to modify food even if its long term effects are still unknown? I just think GMO's will hit a wall sooner or later...we'll see I guess
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    GMO makes things magically more calorically dense. Sounds legit.

It's not magical, and increasing caloric density of foods has been an objective of gene tinkering for thousands of years.
    Options
    GMO has the potential to save the environment though less intensive/harmful farming, biofuels, carbon sequestration... the possibilities are endless. Monsanto is not a great corporate steward, but the technology itself has loads of potential.

hmmm idk about that. And I think a lot of farmers would disagree.
  • Espressocycle
    Options

Technology and hybridization (and pesticides and fertilizers) have increased food production while requiring fewer and fewer farmers. Organic farming can feed the world, but only if everybody quit their jobs and farmed instead. Might be a better world, but I don't think it's one most people want.
    Options
    All of a sudden Im hungry.
    A healthy debate makes me want a burger and fries from the local Grill

hey I dont see any food pics here!!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Speculation based on tinfoil had nonsense =/= evidence.

The only actual farmer in this discussion disagrees with you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    bump to read more
  • Espressocycle
    Options

The fact that nearly all farmers of corn and soybeans use roundup-ready GMO crops to avoid the added work of tilling and weeding would seemingly contradict that statement. GMO crops allow no-till farming which reduces erosion, nutrient pollution, need for fertilizers, labor inputs, etc. Other GMO traits reduce the need for pesticides, making organic farming practices more productive.
    Options

Technology and hybridization (and pesticides and fertilizers) have increased food production while requiring fewer and fewer farmers. Organic farming can feed the world, but only if everybody quit their jobs and farmed instead. Might be a better world, but I don't think it's one most people want.

Thats just it, what happens to family farms? The backbone of America? hmm did you know its illegal in a lot of towns to grow your own food on your own property?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/illegal-gardening-zwfz1211zrob.aspx#axzz2Wb11YnnI
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If it ain't perfect, it ain't worth thinkin about!

Monsanto loves you.

Monsanto loves no one but their money.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is corn, corn syrup in just about everything. Im sorry, I meant genetically modified corn and corn syrup...

So in and of itself, it can make you fat regardless of total caloric intake?
    Options

Speculation based on tinfoil had nonsense =/= evidence.

The only actual farmer in this discussion disagrees with you.

My best friend for 20 years is a wheat farmer in Montana. The local farmers in Conrad are not pro GMO. laziness does not constitute forward thinking. Since when did everyone decide to buy what big business was selling?
This discussion has been closed.