Why we need GMO

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    People using an app to track food intake do not need GMO.

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.

How, exactly, do GMOs reduce genetic diversity?

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

Monocrops and monocultures are ruining the soil.

Those are poor farming practices, not the fault of GMOs.

Farmers are being FORCED into this, not by choice, but my force.

Again, what does that have to do with GMOs?

You know good and well that it has to do with the companies making the GMO seed. GMO's have not been deemed safe nor unsafe and they are protected by federal law to not have to prove either way.

This proves they have something to hide and are buying their protection to keep us in the dark.

ummm, no. If I decide to plant corn two growing seasons in a row on the south 180. That's my fault.

You and your family are probably one of those families they use on the Monsanto billboards and commercials around here in the St Louis area.

I have seen farmers shooting down those billboard signs when I was on my way to Moberly a couple of months ago.

Just know there are many Midwest farmers that don't echo your attitude and thoughts.

And like I said there is a LOT of stress on families in my area where they are being told what they are going to plant each year.

I truly believe they are being used as some type of guinea pigs or something, but they don't get anything for it while Monsanto grows richer and richer.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    anyone that argues for gmos is a nut.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

No, I just don't believe in your religion.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It actually can reduce world hunger. Different farming techniques (including GMOs allow us to raise over 3 times the amount of corn per acre than we did at the beginning of the century.

So...why aren't we shipping all the excess corn we produce to those starving countries, instead of burning it in corn burners as an alternative source of fuel (for things like heating a house) that in some places is cheaper than using electricity or natural gas?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

You know good and well that it has to do with the companies making the GMO seed. GMO's have not been deemed safe nor unsafe and they are protected by federal law to not have to prove either way.

This proves they have something to hide and are buying their protection to keep us in the dark.

You keep saying that. Will you please link to the actual law you're talking about? Federal laws are public record, so if it exists, I'm sure you can produce it...

The Monsanto Protection Act. Yes, it is public record, so look it up for yourself.

Tinfoil hat much? No "Monsanto Protection Act" in the federal register or other listing of our laws
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    It actually can reduce world hunger. Different farming techniques (including GMOs allow us to raise over 3 times the amount of corn per acre than we did at the beginning of the century.

So...why aren't we shipping all the excess corn we produce to those starving countries, instead of burning it in corn burners as an alternative source of fuel (for things like heating a house) that in some places is cheaper than using electricity or natural gas?

We do ship a lot of corn to other, starving countries. It's usually either a corrupt local government or politics that prevents people from getting the shipment.

Sometimes the local populace even believes the GMO scare-mongers and don't eat the corn, resulting in starvation. Neat, huh?
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

ummm, no. If I decide to plant corn two growing seasons in a row on the south 180. That's my fault.

You and your family are probably one of those families they use on the Monsanto billboards and commercials around here in the St Louis area.

I have seen farmers shooting down those billboard signs when I was on my way to Moberly a couple of months ago.

Just know there are many Midwest farmers that don't echo your attitude and thoughts.

And like I said there is a LOT of stress on families in my area where they are being told what they are going to plant each year.

I truly believe they are being used as some type of guinea pigs or something, but they don't get anything for it while Monsanto grows richer and richer.

Oh jesus, I can't talk to you. Your statements are absolutely ridiculous
    Options

religion? its called common sense. I dont want genetically ALTERED food tyvm
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Calling someone a 'nut' because they disagree with you isn't exactly common sense. It's inflammatory and if you don't want genetically altered food then that's fine. I don't care, just get out of my face if I do want genetically altered food.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

We do ship a lot of corn to other, starving countries. It's usually either a corrupt local government or politics that prevents people from getting the shipment.

Sometimes the local populace even believes the GMO scare-mongers and don't eat the corn, resulting in starvation. Neat, huh?

Monsanto isn't trying to do anything noble. Countries with starving populations cannot afford the US exports nor are they purchasing Monsanto's seeds for planting. In addition, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine whose company deals with US exports of goods and she attended a seminar that dealt with the problems related to our export taxes being so high that they prohibit many countries from buying our goods and services. So in short, Monsanto saving the world sounds pretty far fetched.
  • lizzzylou
    Options

Do you eat bananas?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

That's kind of my point - global starvation isn't about not producing enough food (the US alone produces enough corn to not only feed its own population and that of a good chunk of the Third World, but it can put corn and its derivatives into damn near everything, and can also use it as an alternative fuel source), but about the politics. The whole "make more food so we can feed the world!" doesn't work when the food's already there, but the distribution channels are blocked for one reason or another.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Monsanto isn't trying to do anything noble. Countries with starving populations cannot afford the US exports nor are they purchasing Monsanto's seeds for planting. In addition, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine whose company deals with US exports of goods and she attended a seminar that dealt with the problems related to our export taxes being so high that they prohibit many countries from buying our goods and services. So in short, Monsanto saving the world sounds pretty far fetched.

It's a good thing I never said Monsanto was saving anyone.

I'm talking about food aid. It doesn't cost much for them.
  • Acg67
    Options

Do you eat bananas?

I like my wild bananas with all their yummy seeds
    Options

Calling someone a 'nut' because they disagree with you isn't exactly common sense. It's inflammatory and if you don't want genetically altered food then that's fine. I don't care, just get out of my face if I do want genetically altered food.

Lol, good point, but I just dont understand arguing FOR scientists in a lab playing god with crops seeds. Who reaps the benefits? Is it our kids nutrition. Lets remember we have a childhood obesity problem in this country and no one ever asks "COULD IT BE THE FOOD?" people dont want to grow fresh anymore, they want easy and quick. I worked on an organic farm this summer and let m tell you, theres nothing easy about farming. Its so hard, and these farmers get so little out of it, pretty soon there will be no farms and we will be growing our food in test tubes..I cant imagine arguing for industries that take the Food out of farming.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it ain't perfect, it ain't worth thinkin about!

Monsanto loves you.
    Options

Do you eat bananas?

oh here we go!
  • Acg67
    Options

Lol, good point, but I just dont understand arguing FOR scientists in a lab playing god with crops seeds. Who reaps the benefits? Is it our kids nutrition. Lets remember we have a childhood obesity problem in this country and no one ever asks "COULD IT BE THE FOOD?" people dont want to grow fresh anymore, they want easy and quick. I worked on an organic farm this summer and let m tell you, theres nothing easy about farming. Its so hard, and these farmers get so little out of it, pretty soon there will be no farms and we will be growing our food in test tubes..I cant imagine arguing for industries that take the Food out of farming.

Perhaps over consumption is the cause of obesity?
  • lizzzylou
    Options

Do you eat bananas?

oh here we go!

LOL well I was just trying to (not so subtly) point out that you were the one taking the extreme stance on the issue....:flowerforyou:
    Options

Perhaps over consumption is the cause of obesity?

and perhaps its also whats IN the food we eat?
This discussion has been closed.