Why we need GMO

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People using an app to track food intake do not need GMO.

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.

How, exactly, do GMOs reduce genetic diversity?

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

Monocrops and monocultures are ruining the soil.

Those are poor farming practices, not the fault of GMOs.

Farmers are being FORCED into this, not by choice, but my force.

Like guns held to their heads and they must comply or be killed?
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

GMO provides some interesting nutritional opportunities for some locations. Reducing genetic and production diversity also puts the food supply at risk.

Creates farms of nothing but monocultures, which is not good for the soil nor the environment. Crops are meant to be rotated each year.

Farmers are being forced to not rotate crops? Not sure I follow...
  • lizzzylou
    Options

Like guns held to their heads and they must comply or be killed?

hahaha thanks for the afternoon giggle :laugh:
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options

4 Any other potential risks that I am missing?

Yes. How about putting all of our food production into the hands of about 5 HUGE companies that are looking to put patents on everything they modify (they have to modify it in order to be able to patent it - you can't patent a natural product) so no one else can grow it without their permission?

To me, that is a major concern and very scary indeed... Also, the risk of losing the original seed if we ever find out it is not as healthy as we thought it was to eat modified foods. The big companies are trying very hard to make it illegal to use the unmodified seeds. If they succeed, there will be nothing left.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Again, what does that have to do with GMOs?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I grew up on farms in the Midwest and many people I went to school with still operate family farms. Yes, they are being told what seeds to buy and what to plant every year or they will be run out of business.

They no longer have a choice in this. It is sad what these seed corporations are being allowed to do. It is not just Monsanto, but also Dow, Cargill, Pioneer, etc.

Their land has already been ruined and therefore it is not like they can turn back the hands of time and become organic farmers now. This is how these Corporations just come in and take over.

And moreso, many farmers are becoming bankrupt trying to afford the seed prices, which is sad.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    the concept of GMO is fine, although it's worth noting that different populations have different needs (for example, those in 'Western' or certainly the US societies) do not suffer from deficiencies in Vitamin A

We have been carrying out a form of GMO for thousands of years, by selective breeding - read Michael Pollan's 'The Botany of Desire' for an interesting take on it.

What I, and many others have an issue with is not the idea of GMO but the WAY in which it is practiced. GMO seeds are for the most part non-heritage seeds, which means that farmers cannot lay a stock of seeds for planting next season, and have to purchase more, giving profit to the organisation that created them. Granted, this allows the seeds to remain pure (and not-crossbreed as I am sure the plants themselves will attempt to do given the way evolution works....), and it also allows the GMO organisation to remain in business -after all, a business model that simply gives away its inventions isn't much of a business model (aside from people like Trevor Bayliss that is...)

GMO is NOT a cure for World Hunger. It is a way of creating more resistant crops, fighting diseases and generally attempting to mount a defence against what could be argued the natural order of things. It is necessarily a profit-making industry, but it is some of the bullish tactics that many people find offensive.

In order to feed the world's population we need to adjust our farming practices. Whether GMO is the way to do this I am not convinced, however money will only be invested in solutions where there is a real chance of a financial return.

It actually can reduce world hunger. Different farming techniques (including GMOs allow us to raise over 3 times the amount of corn per acre than we did at the beginning of the century.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am bowing out of this thread, the ignorance is abound too much in this thread.
  • lizzzylou
    Options

I grew up on farms in the Midwest and many people I went to school with still operate family farms. Yes, they are being told what seeds to buy and what to plant every year or they will be run out of business.

They no longer have a choice in this. It is sad what these seed corporations are being allowed to do. It is not just Monsanto, but also Dow, Cargill, Pioneer, etc.

Their land has already been ruined and therefore it is not like they can turn back the hands of time and become organic farmers now. This is how these Corporations just come in and take over.

And moreso, many farmers are becoming bankrupt trying to afford the seed prices, which is sad.

I also grew up on a farm in the Midwest & still help out. I respectfully disagree with the majority of your statements. They are also not becoming bankrupt...if any farmer tries and tells you that right now they're flat out lying. Last year the midwest experience record droughts & still produced average to above-average yields...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Multinational corporations are people. People don't hurt people. People love people. Love.
  • kcrowers
    kcrowers Posts: 17
    Options
    i'm just throwing this out there but have you guys heard of the genically modified food supplement L-Tryptophan that killed 37 people and disabled 1500, right? i'm not quite sure it its enirely safe, from what i researched it seems to be more of a marketing scheme from the companies that produce these gmo foods, there are only like 3 companies that create them, and as a farmer you can only buy thier seeds every year and only the pesticide that they create that goes along with the plant. and they do not produce a higher yield, organically grown or gmo they produce the same. if we had a better way or testing these crops i would be all for it, but round up ready corn was not supposed to be passed by the fda because of tumors in rats, but they let it pass anyways...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

You know good and well that it has to do with the companies making the GMO seed. GMO's have not been deemed safe nor unsafe and they are protected by federal law to not have to prove either way.

This proves they have something to hide and are buying their protection to keep us in the dark.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I also grew up on a farm in the Midwest & still help out. I respectfully disagree with the majority of your statements. They are also not becoming bankrupt...if any farmer tries and tells you that right now they're flat out lying. Last year the midwest experience record droughts & still produced average to above-average yields...

You must be a puppet of Monsanto coming here with these "facts", how much they paying you?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You know good and well that it has to do with the companies making the GMO seed. GMO's have not been deemed safe nor unsafe and they are protected by federal law to not have to prove either way.

This proves they have something to hide and are buying their protection to keep us in the dark.

You keep saying that. Will you please link to the actual law you're talking about? Federal laws are public record, so if it exists, I'm sure you can produce it...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Honestly, I think we should trust multinationals in every decision they make and should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I am seeing it happen all over the place in Southern Illinois, and Missouri (St Louis area) specifically. I know they are not lying

I am seeing first hand what is going on. It is sickening and disgusting what is being forced on these poor family farmers.

Most of the people I went to school with are urging their children to not want to go into farming because they are disgusted by what they are being forced to do.

I feel for these families because this is not what I grew up around in the 70's and 80's.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

You keep saying that. Will you please link to the actual law you're talking about? Federal laws are public record, so if it exists, I'm sure you can produce it...

The Monsanto Protection Act. Yes, it is public record, so look it up for yourself.
  • lizzzylou
    Options

ummm, no. If I decide to plant corn two growing seasons in a row on the south 180. That's my fault.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Need GMO's? Are you fu*king kidding me? Thousands of years of sustainable farming on earth would argue
  • lizzzylou
    Options

You must be a puppet of Monsanto coming here with these "facts", how much they paying you?

Riiiiiight b/c that's a sound agruement. And actually no, I'm not. Would you like to present some facts to me that farmers are going bankrupt?
This discussion has been closed.