Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Love this post ! It should be a sticky !

Geez, I sure hope MFP wouldn't make such a mocking post a sticky. :(

I injected humor into my writing because that is my style and what I think of as entertaining on what can otherwise be a rather dry subject (neurobiology) for most people. I don't consider disagreeing with people the same as mocking. I was pretty clear in the outset of the writing, none of this is to say foods can't be a problem for people, nor that they can need help, I just find it unhelpful to call a person an addict and consider it akin to being on cocaine.

Humor about someone else's problem is certainly close to mocking. And is likely to be found unhelpful by all who feel addicted to a food.

as a reformed addict, I can say that humor went a long way in getting me to where I am...

Someone laughing at the notion that you were an addict helped?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I injected humor into my writing because that is my style and what I think of as entertaining on what can otherwise be a rather dry subject (neurobiology) for most people. I don't consider disagreeing with people the same as mocking. I was pretty clear in the outset of the writing, none of this is to say foods can't be a problem for people, nor that they can need help, I just find it unhelpful to call a person an addict and consider it akin to being on cocaine.

Humor about someone else's problem is certainly close to mocking. And is likely to be found unhelpful by all who feel addicted to a food.
    What's really unhelpful is feeding someone's misguided beliefs about a food in order to protect his feels.

Yes, that is likely true. But mocking or humor at their perception isn't the only way to tell someone they are mistaken.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

as a reformed addict, I can say that humor went a long way in getting me to where I am...

Someone laughing at the notion that you were an addict helped?

there was often a lot of laughter and joking in our meetings...it's often easier to get over issues when you don't take yourself so seriously.

also, I don't see anyone laughing at anything here...you seem overly sensitive...I see absolutely nothing wrong with what was posted at all. I don't see it making light of anything but rather explaining how/what is going on.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok, so you're a sugar addict or food addict.

What's the solution?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

What's really unhelpful is feeding someone's misguided beliefs about a food in order to protect his feels.

Yes, that is likely true. But mocking or humor at their perception isn't the only way to tell someone they are mistaken.

The downfall of our society began when everyone decided that self-esteem needed protection, and enabling began. Everyone sat back and said, "Nothing is my fault," and everyone got a medal for effort. No one has to actually put in effort for success because everyone deserves recognition just for showing up, and a pat on the head. Winners get the same as everyone else, so there's no reward for actual effort. Anyone with a problem doesn't have to take any responsibility for it, because they can just point a finger to some issue in the past that caused it, and continue whatever bad behavior makes them feel better and helps them forget about it.

Seen Wall-E? That's humanity's future, if no one steps up and starts making people taking some responsibility for their actions, and face the fact that sometimes life is hard.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The Sugar Wars

So much wrong in this thread

It is the carbs not the fat...

Dietary fat does not make you IR. your own body fat contributes to it.

CICO always matters

Mental addiction can drive people to self destruction not just physical

Yes you can work out long and hard on low carb. I do it often. Yesterday on 50 carbs after work.

k5vas18l12d9.jpg

On low carb you can out perform lots of people eating a variety of diets. That you can't is a myth.

I'm in the Map My Ride Challenge with 48,000 participants across the country.

tc1npb6iqpsx.jpg

I'm in the top 7%. This bit of not being able to enjoy an active life on low carb is silly.

pn5jrkrbd0hu.jpg

The MFP sugar wars are a waste of time when we could be sharing what actually works instead of what goes on now.

Bottom line.....

What are you actually doing, what is working and helping you be your best.

If you have a friend that has a weakness for sugar, yelling at them won't help. If they have an outright obsessive behavior they may need help to find out why.

Arguing semantics as the nation gets fatter and fatter, with weight related health problems are decimating our healthcare budget....

Is this approach the solution?

If anyone wants ideas on what helped me kick the sugar habit just message.

I'm out!!!

Got a busy day!!

Do you ever ride longer, harder, and farther? Just curious, cause for me, I can usually go about 2 hours on pretty low carb cycling but I tend to bonk around that time. If I'm going over 2 hours, I know I need to bring food. The pace is usually quite a bit faster though. So yea, it wouldn't be all that difficult cycling for 1.5 hours at that pace since it's probably only about a 1000 cal burn.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

What's the solution?

stop eating...that's how you fix every other addiction anyway...you stop doing it...

oops...that won't work will it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

What's the solution?

redefining your relationship with the food. food is fuel. what sort of fuel do you want to use in your engine?
    also realizing food is neither good or bad and just is. food does not care how you feel. there is a lot of foot work and a lot of retraining that happens from my understanding
  • mbaker566
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

The downfall of our society began when everyone decided that self-esteem needed protection, and enabling began. Everyone sat back and said, "Nothing is my fault," and everyone got a medal for effort. No one has to actually put in effort for success because everyone deserves recognition just for showing up, and a pat on the head. Winners get the same as everyone else, so there's no reward for actual effort. Anyone with a problem doesn't have to take any responsibility for it, because they can just point a finger to some issue in the past that caused it, and continue whatever bad behavior makes them feel better and helps them forget about it.

Seen Wall-E? That's humanity's future, if no one steps up and starts making people taking some responsibility for their actions, and face the fact that sometimes life is hard.

being an addict is independent of self esteem. you can be an addict and have low self esteem but the two are not mutually inclusive. no one is asking you to give them warm milk and rub their belly
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I've weighed as much as 310 lb in my life, and was 285 before I started losing weight this time around. I'm not sure how this is someone else's problem. I'm very much not mocking people for having a hard time with losing weight or issues of losing weight. What I will mock is the concept that comparing food to cocaine is true because of a gross misunderstanding of brain scans, and I will definitely mock people who think this will actually help people lose weight by treating food as an addiction akin to cocaine instead of as a unique problem.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Please stop turning this into anything other than what it is: a high level examination of the biochemical difference between drug addiction and food dependence and the implications thereof. People with food issues have not been mocked; the subject was approached with a sense of humor. There's a big difference.
    moyer566 wrote: »
    At least with the physical addiction, once the drug is removed, an addict can see themselves surviving, even thriving, without substance.

that is certainly not always the case and is frequently the minority

addiction can be an obsession or compulsion. it can take many forms. with people who have an obsession or compulsion with food it is best to consider emotional reasons to eating but in general, develop a new relationship with food.
    I've a couple of friends who are consider them food addicts, and their mindset prior to recovery is rather scary and not much different than that of the drug addict or alcoholic or smoker.
    addiction can come in many forms and strengths but a true addiction can kill you. be it health complications from obesity to lung cancer to heart attacks to cirrhosis

Sorry, I was unclear. Once a drug is removed for a long enough time period, you can demonstrate to a drug addict that they don't need the drug to survive. I know that fact was instrumental in my nicotine-quitting process.

Still, your comment speaks to the heart of the matter: food dependence is not the same, biochemically, as a drug addiction, but the mindsets of those who are dependent seems to be the same. Perhaps if people understood the difference, their approach to recovery would be different.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

being an addict is independent of self esteem. you can be an addict and have low self esteem but the two are not mutually inclusive. no one is asking you to give them warm milk and rub their belly

As I'm not accepting food, sex or gambling 'addiction' as such.... I'm clarifying my earlier point. Addiction to a substance like drugs is different than using something to cover up your need to hide from something difficult in your life, which is what people who overeat, use sex or gambling excessively are doing. There's usually an underlying reason people have that behavior.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

What's the solution?

redefining your relationship with the food. food is fuel. what sort of fuel do you want to use in your engine?
    also realizing food is neither good or bad and just is. food does not care how you feel. there is a lot of foot work and a lot of retraining that happens from my understanding

Ok. If that's the answer, then why not do that?
  • senecarr
    Options

What's the solution?

With Google, right now you could probably look up everything needed to recreate the 1969 moon landing program. Why aren't you on the moon?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

What's the solution?

With Google, right now you could probably look up everything needed to recreate the 1969 moon landing program. Why aren't you on the moon?

Because my priorities lie elsewhere.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

What's the solution?

Other than the couple of billion it would take to implement, even with full access to all the blueprints, hindsight, etc.?

Coming to grips with the idea that carbs aren't the problem, your relationship with carbs is the problem is probably less capital intensive, even apart for the much greater relative simplicity.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Great point, and true for me too.
  • mbaker566
    Options

As I'm not accepting food, sex or gambling 'addiction' as such.... I'm clarifying my earlier point. Addiction to a substance like drugs is different than using something to cover up your need to hide from something difficult in your life, which is what people who overeat, use sex or gambling excessively are doing. There's usually an underlying reason people have that behavior.

there is often an underlying reason to using the illicit drug as well.
    what counts as an addiction to me: has my/your/one's life become unmanageable because of it. do you realize this and realize you have little power over your ability to the cessation of said thing? addictions treated at least two sided, if not three sided are more likely to succeed. I've heard another person say that their addiction is an abnormal response to a substance/action.

one can relapse at any time. people have thrown away 40 years sober for a beer and then another and another. it's not like they didn't realize the destructive nature of alcohol on their lives.

Minimizing an issue because you don't feel like it's valid, doesn't make it any less problematic for the people in the midst of this struggle. and doesn't keep it from killing people who do not make a change in their lives

that being said. I do feel like "addiction" is thrown around to easily.
  • senecarr
    Options

What's the solution?

Other than the couple of billion it would take to implement, even with full access to all the blueprints, hindsight, etc.?

Coming to grips with the idea that carbs aren't the problem, your relationship with carbs is the problem is probably less capital intensive, even apart for the much greater relative simplicity.
    Eh, if he wanted the moon, stealing a couple billion shouldn't be a big deal. o:)
    The simplicity is a great part. Trendweight lead me to look at the hacker's diet recently and he had a good quote about weight loss:
    There's an old Wall Street tale: a tyro asks an old-timer, “How do you make money in the market.” The wise man answers, “Nothing could be simpler: buy low, sell high.” The beginner asks, “How can I learn to do that?” The sage responds, “Ahhhh…that takes a lifetime.” Simple doesn't mean easy.
  • mbaker566
    Options

What's the solution?

some people do