Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Drugs and alcohol absolutely *are* natural.

No one is addicted to the "natural" versions due to potency.

If that were actually the case, we would have never figured out how to produce our own version of the "natural" stuff.

Alcohol is natural.

Getting drunk on alcohol is natural.

Intentionally seeking out alcohol to get drunk is natural.

I think the meaning is refined alcohol tends to be a product of civilization. Yes, fruit ferments and makes "wine", but the percent alcohol by weight/volume/calories is usually rather low.

Naturally occurring fermenting fruit has an ABV of between 4-7% - higher than the alcohol content of the most popular beer in the US.

But is that for truly wild fruit, or domesticated fruits?

And what, exactly, is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

If that were actually the case, we would have never figured out how to produce our own version of the "natural" stuff.

Alcohol is natural.

I think the meaning is refined alcohol tends to be a product of civilization. Yes, fruit ferments and makes "wine", but the percent alcohol by weight/volume/calories is usually rather low.

Naturally occurring fermenting fruit has an ABV of between 4-7% - higher than the alcohol content of the most popular beer in the US.

When was the last time you happened upon a batch of fermented fruit laying around in the forest?

Before asking that, you should probably know I actually live next to a forest (and I do mean a forest - not a "park with tall trees"). :smiley:

So the answer to your question is...yesterday morning.

Which is probably related to the fact that a momma bear has taken up temporary residence about 150m from my back door.

Lousy alcoholic bears. At least she won't ruin your home value as badly as someone setting up a bakery (or sugar lab as the addicts call them) in your area.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    I work in a clinic that treats opiate addiction. Without opiates the person goes into physical withdrawal. Opiates are physically addicting. From brain scans that I have seen cocaine and sugar light up the same pathways in the brain. Cocaine however is not physically addicting like opiates such as heroin. Withdrawal symptoms can include fatigue, agitation, and depressed mood. I personally happen to be insulin resistant. When I went on a LCHF diet I went through the same withdrawal symptoms that a cocaine addict might experience. Now I feel great and the thought of my old way of eating has no appeal to me. Is sugar addicting? From my personal experience with opiate addicts and my own diet conundrums sugar is not physically addicting but for certain people it can be difficult to control. The best thing to do for me personally is to avoid it. I am not an addict but my physiology doesn't react well to it.

Sounds a lot like the misconceptions I explained in the first post. It is a bit long, but actually addresses the problems with what you wrote.
    Cocaine does not act like food simply because dopamine is involved in both. The neurotransmitter oxytocin is released both during breast feeding and sexual arousal, but no one goes around comparing the two - well other than some very specific fetishists.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Love this post ! It should be a sticky !

Geez, I sure hope MFP wouldn't make such a mocking post a sticky. :(

I injected humor into my writing because that is my style and what I think of as entertaining on what can otherwise be a rather dry subject (neurobiology) for most people. I don't consider disagreeing with people the same as mocking. I was pretty clear in the outset of the writing, none of this is to say foods can't be a problem for people, nor that they can need help, I just find it unhelpful to call a person an addict and consider it akin to being on cocaine.

Humor about someone else's problem is certainly close to mocking. And is likely to be found unhelpful by all who feel addicted to a food.
    What's really unhelpful is feeding someone's misguided beliefs about a food in order to protect his feels.

Yes, that is likely true. But mocking or humor at their perception isn't the only way to tell someone they are mistaken.

The downfall of our society began when everyone decided that self-esteem needed protection, and enabling began. Everyone sat back and said, "Nothing is my fault," and everyone got a medal for effort. No one has to actually put in effort for success because everyone deserves recognition just for showing up, and a pat on the head. Winners get the same as everyone else, so there's no reward for actual effort. Anyone with a problem doesn't have to take any responsibility for it, because they can just point a finger to some issue in the past that caused it, and continue whatever bad behavior makes them feel better and helps them forget about it.

Seen Wall-E? That's humanity's future, if no one steps up and starts making people taking some responsibility for their actions, and face the fact that sometimes life is hard.

clapping-crowd-applause.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I always ask this question and get no answers. If addiction to sugar ( or any food substance) is a true addiction, when the food substance is not available do the "addicted" seek it in other forms? Say if you're addicted to sugar, and it's the middle of the night and you're out of sweets, do you start drinking pasta sauce and salad dressings to get your "fix"? Do you pour yourself a cup of BBQ sauce? Why do some of the people who think they are addicted to sugar feel that fruits are not a suitable replacement for the "real thing" when dose of sugar they provide can be comparable to the real thing? I know I would smoke the most disgusting brand of cigarettes if I had nothing else available, while complaining how disgusting it is and then ask for a second cigarette after a while (that actually happened).
    ...or eating right of the sugar bowl/bag.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Second – I’ll admit, I’m not a neuroscientist

----

you don't say.
  • lodro
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    I work in a clinic that treats opiate addiction. Without opiates the person goes into physical withdrawal. Opiates are physically addicting. From brain scans that I have seen cocaine and sugar light up the same pathways in the brain. Cocaine however is not physically addicting like opiates such as heroin. Withdrawal symptoms can include fatigue, agitation, and depressed mood. I personally happen to be insulin resistant. When I went on a LCHF diet I went through the same withdrawal symptoms that a cocaine addict might experience. Now I feel great and the thought of my old way of eating has no appeal to me. Is sugar addicting? From my personal experience with opiate addicts and my own diet conundrums sugar is not physically addicting but for certain people it can be difficult to control. The best thing to do for me personally is to avoid it. I am not an addict but my physiology doesn't react well to it.

Sounds a lot like the misconceptions I explained in the first post. It is a bit long, but actually addresses the problems with what you wrote.
    Cocaine does not act like food simply because dopamine is involved in both. The neurotransmitter oxytocin is released both during breast feeding and sexual arousal, but no one goes around comparing the two - well other than some very specific fetishists.

And a whole lot of Freudians, but those don't count.
  • lodro
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Good lesson. I would have liked to have seen you work insulin into that mix too since it can affect leptin, and alos because many people with carb issues appear to be insulin resistance to some degree.

What are your thoughts on insulin's affects on diet?
    I don't think it plays much into the food addiction stuff. Protein can easily raise insulin, yet we don't hear about people talking about being addicted to chicken breast. Just quickly looking into research in the area, while insulin definitely crosses the blood-brain barrier, it doesn't actually appear to alter the brain's glucose metabolic rate. It looks like an area that is still under research.
    I think in terms of tying insulin, ghrelin, and leptin into neurotransmitters, they're more likely to interact with glucocorticoids like cortisol, and thus only play an indirect role.
    I'll readily admit, much of my neuro-chemistry knoweldge comes from the primary angle of studying it in depression and pharmaceutical treatment, and learning about it in appetite is secondary.

You leave out one factor, the psychological, and act as if addiction is a purely physiological reaction to stimulants. There are signs that most of "addiction" is psychological, not physical. Meaning that people change their addictive behaviour if their circumstances change. E.g. there are quite a bit of heroin users, who use for a time, in a certain soclal setting, then get off it, as their circumstances change. Your view of what addiction is, is highly reductionistic. And that's where your lack of a scientific view shows itself, because to one who only owns a hammer, everything seems like a nail.

Thank you.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Rodents binge and become cross-addicted (sensitization) to other substances. I binge, and I suspect if I don't watch it I could become cross-addicted, too (that last one is a new wrinkle in my years of weight loss, and not one I'm at all happy about). I don't care if you call it addiction or green eggs and ham, it's a real issue for me.

The bleh feeling and moodiness for a few days aren't that bad. But the cravings are severely annoying.

Meanwhile, the rats can definitely become addicted to sugar. So call me a rat then, like I give a rat's patootie. We're arguing semantics at this point.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Serah87 wrote: »
    I always ask this question and get no answers. If addiction to sugar ( or any food substance) is a true addiction, when the food substance is not available do the "addicted" seek it in other forms? Say if you're addicted to sugar, and it's the middle of the night and you're out of sweets, do you start drinking pasta sauce and salad dressings to get your "fix"? Do you pour yourself a cup of BBQ sauce? Why do some of the people who think they are addicted to sugar feel that fruits are not a suitable replacement for the "real thing" when dose of sugar they provide can be comparable to the real thing? I know I would smoke the most disgusting brand of cigarettes if I had nothing else available, while complaining how disgusting it is and then ask for a second cigarette after a while (that actually happened).

Done it. Not that long ago, in fact. If nothing better is available and I'm set off by high carb/high sugar a day or two before, I will eat it out of the bag. I prefer brown or maple sugar, though.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Rodents binge and become cross-addicted (sensitization) to other substances. I binge, and I suspect if I don't watch it I could become cross-addicted, too (that last one is a new wrinkle in my years of weight loss, and not one I'm at all happy about). I don't care if you call it addiction or green eggs and ham, it's a real issue for me.

The bleh feeling and moodiness for a few days aren't that bad. But the cravings are severely annoying.

Meanwhile, the rats can definitely become addicted to sugar. So call me a rat then, like I give a rat's patootie. We're arguing semantics at this point.

Done it. Not that long ago, in fact. If nothing better is available and I'm set off by high carb/high sugar a day or two before, I will eat it out of the bag. I prefer brown or maple sugar, though.

The rat studies all prove out. Human studies never have. Call yourself a rat then....
    However, what I would challenge you to do is actually seek out therapy and delve into the reason that you turn to food rather than face whatever it is you're 'treating' by consuming sugar. Even most drug users (and yes, this is proven in numerous studies) started using their drugs of choice to treat some underlying pain or condition they couldn't face. If sugar really is your drug of choice, you're covering up something in your life you'd rather not face. You need to face that with therapy, or you'll never be able to actually get over your problem.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

The rat studies all prove out. Human studies never have. Call yourself a rat then....
    However, what I would challenge you to do is actually seek out therapy and delve into the reason that you turn to food rather than face whatever it is you're 'treating' by consuming sugar. Even most drug users (and yes, this is proven in numerous studies) started using their drugs of choice to treat some underlying pain or condition they couldn't face. If sugar really is your drug of choice, you're covering up something in your life you'd rather not face. You need to face that with therapy, or you'll never be able to actually get over your problem.

I already know what's going on with me emotionally and mentally. I'm bored out of my skull, I need a change of environment and meaningful work that challenges me.

Sure, I can go talk someone's ear off about it, and I will if what I'm doing now doesn't work (I won't take their drugs, though, talk about substituting one thing for another).

I even think a good shrink adept in cognitive behavioral therapy would be quite useful for me. Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and find out. Meanwhile, I'm going to do what works for me, and call it what it is, for me, and when the human studies do prove out (I'm sure they will), people can quit quibbling about what I already know from personal experience. It's not a big deal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Alcohol is natural.

Alcohol is natural.

When was the last time you happened upon a batch of fermented fruit laying around in the forest?

Before asking that, you should probably know I actually live next to a forest (and I do mean a forest - not a "park with tall trees"). :smiley:

Which is probably related to the fact that a momma bear has taken up temporary residence about 150m from my back door.

at a college i went to, we had trees that had fruit that would stay attached to the tree. and over winter the fruit would ferment. come spring we would have a bunch of birds wobbling around or passed out on the ground
  • Azuriaz
    Options

Alcohol is natural.

Alcohol is natural.

Lousy alcoholic bears. At least she won't ruin your home value as badly as someone setting up a bakery (or sugar lab as the addicts call them) in your area.

I'm going to be in an area with bears all weekend (seen a momma and babies in the yard, not thirty feet away!). I hope if they eat that fruit that they're at least happy drunks and not mean ones!
  • mccindy72
    Options

I already know what's going on with me emotionally and mentally. I'm bored out of my skull, I need a change of environment and meaningful work that challenges me.

Sure, I can go talk someone's ear off about it, and I will if what I'm doing now doesn't work (I won't take their drugs, though, talk about substituting one thing for another).

I even think a good shrink adept in cognitive behavioral therapy would be quite useful for me. Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and find out. Meanwhile, I'm going to do what works for me, and call it what it is, for me, and when the human studies do prove out (I'm sure they will), people can quit quibbling about what I already know from personal experience. It's not a big deal.

Decades of studies haven't. they won't. Boredom doesn't make you eat out of the sugar bowl, sorry. And it certainly doesn't take the lottery to seek behavioral therapy these days. The ACA ensures that. The days of claiming inability to be insured are over.
    It's obviously a big deal if you're on here posting about it. The reason I continue to debate with you about it isn't just about you, personally. It's also for all the lurkers out there who read these threads. I don't want the people who read and don't post reading your posts and thinking that it's perfectly fine to just eat out of the sugar bowl and that's just boredom, because it's not.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

Decades of studies haven't. they won't. Boredom doesn't make you eat out of the sugar bowl, sorry. And it certainly doesn't take the lottery to seek behavioral therapy these days. The ACA ensures that. The days of claiming inability to be insured are over.
    It's obviously a big deal if you're on here posting about it. The reason I continue to debate with you about it isn't just about you, personally. It's also for all the lurkers out there who read these threads. I don't want the people who read and don't post reading your posts and thinking that it's perfectly fine to just eat out of the sugar bowl and that's just boredom, because it's not.

My state didn't take the full ACA.

Decades of studies have shown some addictive potential, brain scans and such. We would know more if so much of science wasn't utterly corrupted by money.

It's not a big deal, I'm just practicing my written communication skills.

Also, someone is wrong on the internet. Can't be having with that.

I didn't say it was just boredom when I eat out of a sugar bowl, I specifically said it was in response to a craving from eating carbs/sugar in the days before.
  • senecarr
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Good lesson. I would have liked to have seen you work insulin into that mix too since it can affect leptin, and alos because many people with carb issues appear to be insulin resistance to some degree.

What are your thoughts on insulin's affects on diet?
    I don't think it plays much into the food addiction stuff. Protein can easily raise insulin, yet we don't hear about people talking about being addicted to chicken breast. Just quickly looking into research in the area, while insulin definitely crosses the blood-brain barrier, it doesn't actually appear to alter the brain's glucose metabolic rate. It looks like an area that is still under research.
    I think in terms of tying insulin, ghrelin, and leptin into neurotransmitters, they're more likely to interact with glucocorticoids like cortisol, and thus only play an indirect role.
    I'll readily admit, much of my neuro-chemistry knoweldge comes from the primary angle of studying it in depression and pharmaceutical treatment, and learning about it in appetite is secondary.

You leave out one factor, the psychological, and act as if addiction is a purely physiological reaction to stimulants. There are signs that most of "addiction" is psychological, not physical. Meaning that people change their addictive behaviour if their circumstances change. E.g. there are quite a bit of heroin users, who use for a time, in a certain soclal setting, then get off it, as their circumstances change. Your view of what addiction is, is highly reductionistic. And that's where your lack of a scientific view shows itself, because to one who only owns a hammer, everything seems like a nail.

Thank you.

Missed notifications at first as hot thread buried them.
    Except it isn't excessively reductionist because it actually addresses the problem with saying dopamine and serotonin light up when we take cocaine, and dopamine and serotonin light up when we take food, therefore cocaine and sugar are both clearly addictive substances.

I'm also not sure I said addiction is purely chemistry. But I seriously don't think food addiction is a thing, and isn't productive. Even for researchers heavily invested in the topic, the best I see is some discussion of eating addiction being a thing, similar to gambling addiction - it isn't about food, it is about eating, which is an important distinction.

As much as my view might be reductionist, part of that comes in you trying to expand its explanatory power beyond anything I assigned to it. I certainly see you scoffing at my not a neurochemist, and yet, I don't see you addressing an actual issue with the neurochemistry of it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Chiming in here to say I will repost my original addiction behavior post if need be and the excellent Eating Addiction Research Review. There's a difference between seeing foods as addictive substances and having addictive behavior with one's eating. A huge difference.

The first difference being that there's some support in the scientific community for the second paradigm in humans, but there's none for the first.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    Chiming in here to say I will repost my original addiction behavior post if need be and the excellent Eating Addiction Research Review. There's a difference between seeing foods as addictive substances and having addictive behavior with one's eating. A huge difference.

The first difference being that there's some support in the scientific community for the second paradigm in humans, but there's none for the first.

Here is what I propose for those determined to differentiate:

Come up with one word to describe the addictive behavior. One word. We are lazy. We like to give a single word to such phenomenon. And none exists. Come up with it, get it accepted everywhere, good to go. Be glad to use it. Cocaine users, meth users, gamblers, and other users of anything but alcohol and opiates should use the new word, too. Because if we're really going to categorize, the only two substances worthy of being called addictive are alcohol and opiates. One has potentially lethal withdrawal, the other has a painful one. In fact, they should be distinguished, too.
  • senecarr
    Options

Come up with one word to describe the addictive behavior. One word. We are lazy. We like to give a single word to such phenomenon. And none exists. Come up with it, get it accepted everywhere, good to go. Be glad to use it. Cocaine users, meth users, gamblers, and other users of anything but alcohol and opiates should use the new word, too. Because if we're really going to categorize, the only two substances worthy of being called addictive are alcohol and opiates. One has potentially lethal withdrawal, the other has a painful one. In fact, they should be distinguished, too.
    To distinguish between the common usage and things that actually physically activate things, the term often used is "physical dependence".
    I'm not sure why you categorize alcohol and opiates as different. Cocaine has physical dependence. My recollection would be that amphetamines have physical dependence. Heck, even caffeine has physical dependence and because of that it is often brought up as some kind of trump card by people, though I feel talking about caffeine as an addiction is a little disingenuous.
    Carbohydrates, including sugar, do not have physical dependence. You cannot detox out of them - their will always be glucose in a living human body. Having the keto flu is not withdrawal. It is an actual physiological response, but it is not withdrawl.

And physical dependence has the interesting counterpoint to the idea of drug addiction being a social phenomena. If you give an unconscious person a drug they have a physical dependence on, they will remain physically dependent, no matter what they do with their conscious actions. The chemical reactions will still take place. You cannot see this phenomena by giving people food that bypasses eating, and that is part of why food addiction seems implausible, but there is discussion of eating addiction as a behavioral addiction akin to gambling addiction. Personally, I haven't search why or what discussion took place about it, but I wonder why gambling did not become some other term separate from addiction, such as calling it habituated repetitive reward hyperstimulation. At least that would be my proposal for a name for actions that the DSM would classify as addictive behaviors.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Root of the problem, right there. Stop being lazy, pull up the boostraps and do the work. Using laziness as a reason to not do anything is not okay.