Sugar and carb addiction addiction

Options

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The issue people have with the idea of addiction being a disease is the issue of choice. I always can choose to eat poorly, drink too much, use drugs, ad absurdum. All addictions start with a choice and revolve around choice. It is the idea that a person is not capable, without outside influence, of over coming addiction that spawned a victim mentality with regards to drug use and over eating. I like drinking, my brother, twin, has never had a drop of alcohol. I accept that it is my choice to drink, and to like the lucid feeling of being drunk, my brother has no desire. Since we are almost genetically identically, I would think we would both have the same propensities, or at least some, since disease is largely genetics based. Yet, I am the alone on my binges.

The disease of alcoholism or over-eating is a disease of will power and choice. You can choose to drink or not. You can't choose cancer. It denigrates the people who have lost tons of weight and those trying to lose weight to say overeating is a disease, because it means if you overcame it without medication and 12-step you were just faking it to begin with.

None of that means people don't deserve sympathy, compassion, and assistance, if they want to break an addiction but the belief that your choices are outside your control is dangerous.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Chiming in here to say I will repost my original addiction behavior post if need be and the excellent Eating Addiction Research Review. There's a difference between seeing foods as addictive substances and having addictive behavior with one's eating. A huge difference.

The first difference being that there's some support in the scientific community for the second paradigm in humans, but there's none for the first.

Here is what I propose for those determined to differentiate:

Come up with one word to describe the addictive behavior. One word. We are lazy. We like to give a single word to such phenomenon. And none exists. Come up with it, get it accepted everywhere, good to go. Be glad to use it. Cocaine users, meth users, gamblers, and other users of anything but alcohol and opiates should use the new word, too. Because if we're really going to categorize, the only two substances worthy of being called addictive are alcohol and opiates. One has potentially lethal withdrawal, the other has a painful one. In fact, they should be distinguished, too.

Root of the problem, right there. Stop being lazy, pull up the boostraps and do the work. Using laziness as a reason to not do anything is not okay.

Not what I meant. Humans are linguistically lazy. Took a college class on it once. Made sense.
    senecarr wrote: »
    Chiming in here to say I will repost my original addiction behavior post if need be and the excellent Eating Addiction Research Review. There's a difference between seeing foods as addictive substances and having addictive behavior with one's eating. A huge difference.

The first difference being that there's some support in the scientific community for the second paradigm in humans, but there's none for the first.

Come up with one word to describe the addictive behavior. One word. We are lazy. We like to give a single word to such phenomenon. And none exists. Come up with it, get it accepted everywhere, good to go. Be glad to use it. Cocaine users, meth users, gamblers, and other users of anything but alcohol and opiates should use the new word, too. Because if we're really going to categorize, the only two substances worthy of being called addictive are alcohol and opiates. One has potentially lethal withdrawal, the other has a painful one. In fact, they should be distinguished, too.
    To distinguish between the common usage and things that actually physically activate things, the term often used is "physical dependence".
    I'm not sure why you categorize alcohol and opiates as different. Cocaine has physical dependence. My recollection would be that amphetamines have physical dependence. Heck, even caffeine has physical dependence and because of that it is often brought up as some kind of trump card by people, though I feel talking about caffeine as an addiction is a little disingenuous.
    Carbohydrates, including sugar, do not have physical dependence. You cannot detox out of them - their will always be glucose in a living human body. Having the keto flu is not withdrawal. It is an actual physiological response, but it is not withdrawl.

And physical dependence has the interesting counterpoint to the idea of drug addiction being a social phenomena. If you give an unconscious person a drug they have a physical dependence on, they will remain physically dependent, no matter what they do with their conscious actions. The chemical reactions will still take place. You cannot see this phenomena by giving people food that bypasses eating, and that is part of why food addiction seems implausible, but there is discussion of eating addiction as a behavioral addiction akin to gambling addiction. Personally, I haven't search why or what discussion took place about it, but I wonder why gambling did not become some other term separate from addiction, such as calling it habituated repetitive reward hyperstimulation. At least that would be my proposal for a name for actions that the DSM would classify as addictive behaviors.

You're right as far as it goes, you say I'm addicted to caffeine no one freaks they just nod and go uh huh, pass the creamer! You say I'm addicted to sugar, it's a dog turd storm. I'm frustrated about that. I know what I mean when I use the word addiction in different contexts (I did an internship in an inpatient detox). I know that cocaine, heroin, gambling, opiate addiction (btw drugs used to treat opiate addiction also curb appetite, an interesting fact which in no way makes sugar equal to heroin), alcohol addiction, and food addiction are all very different. But there is no distinguishing word. It's annoying, and not the fault of anyone discussing it on this forum. I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm just trying to pinpoint my frustration with it.

I want to say compulsive eating, but eating what? I won't compulsively eat broccoli. Some people might, though. Maybe it's just a failure of enough non-biased, quality research with enough subjects and then a good name for this particular issue which many of us human beings do have. I don't get mad when people argue it shouldn't be called 'addiction' so much as I get mad when people say it doesn't exist at all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Root of the problem, right there. Stop being lazy, pull up the boostraps and do the work. Using laziness as a reason to not do anything is not okay.

Not what I meant. Humans are linguistically lazy. Took a college class on it once. Made sense.

To distinguish between the common usage and things that actually physically activate things, the term often used is "physical dependence".
    I'm not sure why you categorize alcohol and opiates as different. Cocaine has physical dependence. My recollection would be that amphetamines have physical dependence. Heck, even caffeine has physical dependence and because of that it is often brought up as some kind of trump card by people, though I feel talking about caffeine as an addiction is a little disingenuous.
    Carbohydrates, including sugar, do not have physical dependence. You cannot detox out of them - their will always be glucose in a living human body. Having the keto flu is not withdrawal. It is an actual physiological response, but it is not withdrawl.

And physical dependence has the interesting counterpoint to the idea of drug addiction being a social phenomena. If you give an unconscious person a drug they have a physical dependence on, they will remain physically dependent, no matter what they do with their conscious actions. The chemical reactions will still take place. You cannot see this phenomena by giving people food that bypasses eating, and that is part of why food addiction seems implausible, but there is discussion of eating addiction as a behavioral addiction akin to gambling addiction. Personally, I haven't search why or what discussion took place about it, but I wonder why gambling did not become some other term separate from addiction, such as calling it habituated repetitive reward hyperstimulation. At least that would be my proposal for a name for actions that the DSM would classify as addictive behaviors.

You're right as far as it goes, you say I'm addicted to caffeine no one freaks they just nod and go uh huh, pass the creamer! You say I'm addicted to sugar, it's a dog turd storm. I'm frustrated about that. I know what I mean when I use the word addiction in different contexts (I did an internship in an inpatient detox). I know that cocaine, heroin, gambling, opiate addiction (btw drugs used to treat opiate addiction also curb appetite, an interesting fact which in no way makes sugar equal to heroin), alcohol addiction, and food addiction are all very different. But there is no distinguishing word. It's annoying, and not the fault of anyone discussing it on this forum. I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm just trying to pinpoint my frustration with it.

I want to say compulsive eating, but eating what? I won't compulsively eat broccoli. Some people might, though. Maybe it's just a failure of enough non-biased, quality research with enough subjects and then a good name for this particular issue which many of us human beings do have. I don't get mad when people argue it shouldn't be called 'addiction' so much as I get mad when people say it doesn't exist at all.
    Interesting you mention broccoli. It and other vegetables and fruit contain sugar but as has been repeatedly observed, no one seems to mean those when they call sugar addictive.

And that is part of why psychologically there might be eating addiction but the evidence is, pretty strong that substances, as constituent molecules, themselves aren't addictive.
    The eating addiction seems to tie into reward anticipation and the mental association. Hence I see the typical addiction methods of abstinence being the exact wrong treatment in the long run. Dissociation of food and reward will have the best outcomes in my opinion.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Interesting you mention broccoli. It and other vegetables and fruit contain sugar but as has been repeatedly observed, no one seems to mean those when they call sugar addictive.

And that is part of why psychologically there might be eating addiction but the evidence is, pretty strong that substances, as constituent molecules, themselves aren't addictive.
    The eating addiction seems to tie into reward anticipation and the mental association. Hence I see the typical addiction methods of abstinence being the exact wrong treatment in the long run. Dissociation of food and reward will have the best outcomes in my opinion.

sex and gambling aren't addictions in the very real sense of the word, either. They're behavioral cover ups for emotional problems.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

sex and gambling aren't addictions in the very real sense of the word, either. They're behavioral cover ups for emotional problems.

So is alcohol most of the time, and other drugs. We are consciousnesses built on chemical reactions, not separate from them. You trying to make it all about the conscious mind or even the subconscious is oversimplifying just like someone trying to say it's %100 chemical is over simplifying.

But no offense, when someone says it's all chemical, it doesn't sound condescending and dismissive, but when someone says it's all mental, it does.

Yes, it's not consistent. Although broccoli has fiber, it's still partly personal taste. It has to be, because I know very few people who will eat sugar out of a bag for lack of something else, but I will.

I do wonder, if I went without any other sugar for long enough, might I binge on sugary vegetables? I've overdone on onions, coconut oil, salt, and garlic before after a few months on low carb. Oddest feast I ever had. Heated that up in the microwave, then kept going back for more. Sweet, salty, oily, delicious. Never something I would have considered if I'd been eating cupcakes or some such recently. Maybe I don't binge on broccoli because if I want to binge (or just overeat) I know where the cookie aisle at the store is.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

So is alcohol most of the time, and other drugs. We are consciousnesses built on chemical reactions, not separate from them. You trying to make it all about the conscious mind or even the subconscious is oversimplifying just like someone trying to say it's %100 chemical is over simplifying.

But no offense, when someone says it's all chemical, it doesn't sound condescending and dismissive, but when someone says it's all mental, it does.

Except the differentiation is that alcohol and drugs cause physical changes in the body that are addictive changes - they force the body to need them, continually and at greater levels. You can't just walk away from drugs and alcohol when you've been using them to cover up an emotional issue and face the issue, you have to break the addiction first.
    With sugar and gambling and sex, you can skip breaking the physical addiction (because it isn't there) and go straight to dealing with the behavioral issues.
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options

Except the differentiation is that alcohol and drugs cause physical changes in the body that are addictive changes - they force the body to need them, continually and at greater levels. You can't just walk away from drugs and alcohol when you've been using them to cover up an emotional issue and face the issue, you have to break the addiction first.
    With sugar and gambling and sex, you can skip breaking the physical addiction (because it isn't there) and go straight to dealing with the behavioral issues.

Recent research has shown habituation to sugar in the brain as well so that you need more to get the same effect.

The only drug that forces you to need it that is commonly abused is alcohol because without it your blood pressure shoots up and you can die.

Opiates cause nasty sickness and muscle cramps. The rest, as far as I remember, don't. Which is why the inpatient detox I worked in wouldn't take meth and coke addicts, for example. They weren't in physical withdrawal. So yes, you can walk away from some drugs same as sugar.

Again, that doesn't say it's equivalent. But I do say it's condescending to ignore chemical changes in the brain wrought by sugar (edit: Or perhaps I should say eating patterns?), and yes sex, gambling, and even shopping. If you keep doing it, you want to stop, and it hurts you, what do you call that? I call it addiction, then differentiate between substances.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Recent research has shown habituation to sugar in the brain as well so that you need more to get the same effect.

The only drug that forces you to need it that is commonly abused is alcohol because without it your blood pressure shoots up and you can die.

Opiates cause nasty sickness and muscle cramps. The rest, as far as I remember, don't. Which is why the inpatient detox I worked in wouldn't take meth and coke addicts, for example. They weren't in physical withdrawal. So yes, you can walk away from some drugs same as sugar.

Again, that doesn't say it's equivalent. But I do say it's condescending to ignore chemical changes in the brain wrought by sugar (edit: Or perhaps I should say eating patterns?), and yes sex, gambling, and even shopping. If you keep doing it, you want to stop, and it hurts you, what do you call that? I call it addiction, then differentiate between substances.[/quote]

[/quote]
    The "chemical changes" you're referring to is the release of dopamine. I get the same thing when I pet a cute puppy. It's a temporary release of dopamine. It's not a long term change.

Heroin, alcohol, cocaine, etc. cause long term changes to the chemistry of the brain. That's the difference and why it's not condescending to differentiate the two.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Again, that doesn't say it's equivalent. But I do say it's condescending to ignore chemical changes in the brain wrought by sugar (edit: Or perhaps I should say eating patterns?), and yes sex, gambling, and even shopping. If you keep doing it, you want to stop, and it hurts you, what do you call that? I call it addiction, then differentiate between substances.

There are multiple threads about this right now, so there is a possibility I'm repeating myself, but I'll reiterate: sugar activates the reward center of the brain. It does not cause long term, laying c

The "chemical changes" you're referring to is the release of dopamine. I get the same thing when I pet a cute puppy. It's a temporary release of dopamine. It's not a long term change.

Heroin, alcohol, cocaine, etc. cause long term changes to the chemistry of the brain. That's the difference and why it's not condescending to differentiate the two.

Okay, you get the same feeling when you pet a puppy. If someone was wired slightly differently, they might obsess about petting puppies. Our brains are complex, complex things glitch.

Here is the difference: There are a lot more obese people who want to quit, are harming themselves, and need to quit than there are people who have petting puppy obsessions.

Why? Probably because petting a puppy has little survival value (though some, dogs exist after all!) while eating massive amounts of calories has in the past.

It's chemical/genetic/environmental/psychological. Acknowledge that, I'm happy. Pretend it's all a conscious choice, and I have to assume the person doing this is either simplifying it for themselves (hey, whatever works for you!) or is dishonest and is merely playing the personal responsibility card in order to introvert and shame people rather than look logically at our food choices, especially our subsidy choices.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

There are multiple threads about this right now, so there is a possibility I'm repeating myself, but I'll reiterate: sugar activates the reward center of the brain. It does not cause long term, laying c

Okay, you get the same feeling when you pet a puppy. If someone was wired slightly differently, they might obsess about petting puppies. Our brains are complex, complex things glitch.

Here is the difference: There are a lot more obese people who want to quit, are harming themselves, and need to quit than there are people who have petting puppy obsessions.

Why? Probably because petting a puppy has little survival value (though some, dogs exist after all!) while eating massive amounts of calories has in the past.

It's chemical/genetic/environmental/psychological. Acknowledge that, I'm happy. Pretend it's all a conscious choice, and I have to assume the person doing this is either simplifying it for themselves (hey, whatever works for you!) or is dishonest and is merely playing the personal responsibility card in order to introvert and shame people rather than look logically at our food choices, especially our subsidy choices.

Thanks for fixing my quoting problem.

I see your point about puppies. Darn them not being a survival method.

I'm confused by your last paragraph though- can you explain?
  • senecarr
    Options

Except stopping eating calories when full has a massive survival benefit too. Looking for calories is expensive. It is dangerous, even if you're a predator. That's why there is an allostatic balance to it.
    See food - dopamine rises in anticipation, causing an aroused state. Eat food - serotonin causes a sense of contentment and ends an aroused state - the animals stays put and finishes the food.
    People mistake this for: take cocaine, hits the brain, clogs reuptake pumps for dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine, brain floods with all of them. Over time, watch the abused synapses lose receptors to combat what looks like a malfunctioning system. Now require higher amounts of cocaine to get the same effect.
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options

Except stopping eating calories when full has a massive survival benefit too. Looking for calories is expensive. It is dangerous, even if you're a predator. That's why there is an allostatic balance to it.
    See food - dopamine rises in anticipation, causing an aroused state. Eat food - serotonin causes a sense of contentment and ends an aroused state - the animals stays put and finishes the food.
    People mistake this for: take cocaine, hits the brain, clogs reuptake pumps for dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine, brain floods with all of them. Over time, watch the abused synapses lose receptors to combat what looks like a malfunctioning system. Now require higher amounts of cocaine to get the same effect.

Lots of predators eat to satiety. Food rots.

However, I agree with several researchers (none of whom you will be happy with if I post their names here) who point out that our current food choices hijacks this and causes harm. Lustig (told you that you wouldn't be happy!) had an interesting talk, of which he freely admits is speculation on one of our primate relatives gorging themselves on sugary fruits while they're in season because once they're not, lean times are ahead. So now we have sugary foods year round. Hijacking what once might have been an excellent survival strategy.

Then there is the Pleasure Trap author who talks about our brains wanting as many calories as we can fit in and knowing what we can eat to absolute fullness while getting the most bang for our buck. He also talks about cocaine and other drugs we were never equipped to deal with giving us pleasure without the bother of carrying out evolutionarily useful activities like reproduction.

• kk_inprogress
    Options

There we go. Far better scientific explanation than mine.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

I'm confused by your last paragraph though- can you explain?

Now I want to pet a puppy! Moving on:

If we assume every person who is obese and unhealthy is obese and unhealthy due to purely psychological and especially consciously psychological reasons (assuming this is possible with any issue), then no matter how many people we have who sicken, die young, and cost healthcare system trillions, there's no argument for changing subsidies, advertising, or anything else to reduce the problem. It's all 100% conscious choice, or at least 100% you had a bad childhood or a puppy scared you or you were smitten with birthday cake because it was the only time you thought your mommy loved you subconscious choice.

But if it is acknowledged that:

There is a chemical component to the majority of obese people's cravings
    And that they want to quit overeating but a chemical component of craving makes quitting more difficult
    And that exposure to and easy availability of the foods they are most likely to crave is likely due to pricing
    and that advertising of said foods at an early age affects the likelihood that they will over consume these foods (similar to cigarettes but admittedly with differences, as cigarettes were supposed to be restricted to adult use though in reality they were not)

And if all of the above affects how many people will die young, sick, obese, and with great cost to the rest of us, then there is more incentive and legal standing to alter food subsidies in a way that makes the foods most likely to be over consumed to the point of obesity more expensive and not advertised to children and perhaps even to push subsidies toward foods that fewer people have a chemical urge to over consume.
  • senecarr
    Options

People mistake this for: take cocaine, hits the brain, clogs reuptake pumps for dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine, brain floods with all of them. Over time, watch the abused synapses lose receptors to combat what looks like a malfunctioning system. Now require higher amounts of cocaine to get the same effect.[/quote]

Lots of predators eat to satiety. Food rots.

However, I agree with several researchers (none of whom you will be happy with if I post their names here) who point out that our current food choices hijacks this and causes harm. Lustig (told you that you wouldn't be happy!) had an interesting talk, of which he freely admits is speculation on one of our primate relatives gorging themselves on sugary fruits while they're in season because once they're not, lean times are ahead. So now we have sugary foods year round. Hijacking what once might have been an excellent survival strategy.

Then there is the Pleasure Trap author who talks about our brains wanting as many calories as we can fit in and knowing what we can eat to absolute fullness while getting the most bang for our buck. He also talks about cocaine and other drugs we were never equipped to deal with giving us pleasure without the bother of carrying out evolutionarily useful activities like reproduction.

[/quote]
    I mentioned predators because people often think being a predator is the safe state in nature and herbivores are the ones in constant fear of injury, though the opposite is true. Plants are poor at running away, but an injured predator is one that cannot catch prey and condemned to starve to death. Predators don't live in continous fear of their prey, but they do fear them, and fear injury more than prey.
    See, now we're in the realm of when evolution is being "just so" storytelling and no one providing hard data. I've seen some postulate the sugar was rare, so we over-react to it. Now Lustig in contradiction is saying sugar addiction is possible because sugar is plentiful and we are evolved to eat it.
    Without a doubt, many of the world's people now live in environments where food availability is not in sync with the effort to get it. I don't deny we even have hyper-palatable foods designed to encourage eating - well to encourage purchase really, Mars corporation would probably prefer I buy multiple snickers and throw them away because chances are I could end up purchasing more having not eaten them. This isn't the same as the way something like cocaine works.
    As I said, the "pleasure centers" actually light up to send signals to cease aroused state and end appetite. Cocaine is not like that. It is both anticipation and fulfillment at the same time. The biggest breaks on consuming cocaine are pure cognitive. Food has natural satiety factors to it.
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    messed up quotes
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, sorry, I must have explained poorly, he was saying because sugar was not always available and it was valuable calories for leaner times, perhaps we are prone to overeat it.

Are food and cocaine the same? No. Food and opiates? No. But it is interesting that a drug used to treat opiate abuse reduces overeating. Unfortunately from what I've read they have to couple it with an antidepressant because it damps down all pleasure signals in the brain. But people don't starve to death on it. They eat a normal portion. They just don't hit the dessert bar fifty times.

And that is where the similarity is: The pleasure center in the brain may not be identically affected by different substances, but it is affected. And yes, behaviors, both survival promoting and otherwise, also affect the pleasure centers in the brain. Therefore, there is a chemical component to overeating. And the foods most likely to trigger the brain in this way and also have a detrimental affect on the most people? Not produce and meat. Not in the USA, anyway. It's generally the foods in the snack aisle. The cheap and very heavily subsidized foods.

• Azuriaz
    Options
    Sorry about double posting to the same thing, the quotes got all messed up somehow, very hard to read!
  • senecarr
    Options
    No, sorry, I must have explained poorly, he was saying because sugar was not always available and it was valuable calories for leaner times, perhaps we are prone to overeat it.

Are food and cocaine the same? No. Food and opiates? No. But it is interesting that a drug used to treat opiate abuse reduces overeating. Unfortunately from what I've read they have to couple it with an antidepressant because it damps down all activities that cause the pleasure reward center in the brain.

And that is where the similarity is: The pleasure center in the brain may not be identically affected by different substances, but it is affected. And yes, behaviors, both survival promoting and otherwise, also affect the pleasure centers in the brain. Therefore, there is a chemical component to overeating. And the foods most likely to trigger the brain in this way and also have a detrimental affect on the most people? Not produce and meat. Not in the USA, anyway. It's generally the foods in the snack aisle. The cheap and very heavily subsidized foods.

Fruit not available? Our ancestors were frugivores. That we acquired sugar addiction in the last 500K to maybe 1.5M or so years after probably about 10 million years with it as a staple is ... well odd evolutionary arguments.

You can also give people the the stress hormone cortisol to stop inflammation. I don't consider muscle aches to be related to be too relaxed and unstressed though.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

Are food and cocaine the same? No. Food and opiates? No. But it is interesting that a drug used to treat opiate abuse reduces overeating. Unfortunately from what I've read they have to couple it with an antidepressant because it damps down all activities that cause the pleasure reward center in the brain.

Fruit not available? Our ancestors were frugivores. That we acquired sugar addiction in the last 500K to maybe 1.5M or so years after probably about 10 million years with it as a staple is ... well odd evolutionary arguments.

You can also give people the the stress hormone cortisol to stop inflammation. I don't consider muscle aches to be related to be too relaxed and unstressed though.

Depends on when you're referring to as far as your ancestors' access to fruits. When and where.

Here is the Lustig talk I referred to, because I don't remember where the primates he referred to specifically live. And well, he has way more degrees than I do, and in a relevant field!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh4JBXaKnmA