August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks.. love it!!

@JoRocka, loved the story!
    @5BeautifulDays, congrats on the race! Well done!

I have no miles to report yet. My calf pain came back strong on that last run in July so I shut it down yesterday and today. It has been improving quickly and I had a 3 mile walk with my wife last night. I think tonight I'll go for another walk interspersed with some short runs. The last time this happened it kept me down for a week. It's very frustrating to have happen again, when I thought I was feeling so great until those trail runs. Oh well...I'll deal with it and try not to push too hard, too quickly.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @shell1005 Welcome to this challenge!

@demoiselle2014 I hope your legs will be better soon. I've never had shin splints, but in running books/magazines they often write that strengthening exercises for hip an calfs can help prevent shin splints - those you can also do if the pain gets worse and keeps you from running. If you already use orthotics , maybe you can also ask her for advice when you next see her?

@skippygirlsmom That's an awesome video. I would totally freak out if that happened to me :p

No random strangers cheering me on during todays run, but I met a frog. In the evening I watch out for them, but this is the first time I met one in this area in bright sunny daylight. I nearly stepped on it because it was sitting in the middle of the path, blending in nicely with the surroundings.

903qw04vprm0.jpg

2.8.15 - 11.1 km
    11.1 km of 111 km done
    exercise.png
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi! Last month didn't go as well as planned. I only completed 8 of the 20 miles I was shooting for.

This month, I'd like to try again. I am setting my goal at 20 miles. Today I ran 4.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 2.5 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.

Completed : 3.5
    To go : 31.5
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 awesome!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Alright, didn't do anything on the 1st since I had both squats and deads scheduled for today. I ran about ten fifteen minutes after finishing with the weights and did 2miles struggling the whole way. I also did a quarter mile to warm up before the weights on a mill.

I'm setting my goal at 30 miles for the month without effecting my weight training. Hopefully it gets easier as I go.

Total=2.25 miles.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    8/2 2 miles. It was my first time running outside this summer so I am going to choose to be happy about running in 80 degree weather with no pain in my leg instead of complaining about how slow it was. I am very thankful that we don't really deal with humidity in Colorado.
    exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    8/1 3.2 @ 10:55 (my first 5K race--33:43, plus a little cool down)
    8/2 5 @ 20:00 Hiking in Shenandoah Park/Skyline Drive. So much uphill--but uphill is way easier than the down! OMG. That made my calves burn and then I fell and scraped up my shin and my pride! We also did Luray Caverns, but I'm not counting that, since it was so easy and we stopped so much.

exercise.png
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

01/08 - Rest Day. 5 mile hike
    02/08 - 10 miles

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yep! I want this - mostly for my daughter. I think it would be so awesome but it would probably freak her out!

@demoiselle2014 - having had shin splints, I can recommend the stretches in the video @Stoshew71 shared as well as standard calf stretches. The way the Ortho explained them to me is the calf muscle gets tight and pulls on the ligments that attach to the bones in your leg causing the pain. In really advanced cases it can lead to stress fractures. I also iced my shins by rubbing ice cups into them after every run. I still do calf stretches before and after every run and sometimes in the middle of a run if they feel tight or I feel a twinge in my shin. It is good to take care of it early so you don't have an extended recovery period.

@_nikkiwolf_ - love the frog! I am pretty sure he was there to cheer you on!

I have been fighting a cold/flu that my entire family has had since we were in San Francisco for the race. I thought I was going to get away with just a bit of a cough but now it is a full on head cold - boo! I was planning to get up early to run in the morning but will see how I feel. From 7am on, all day tomorrow, I have back to back meetings and followed by agility with the pup at 8pm... going to be a long day!
  • Little_Britches_Alpaca
    Options
    exercise.png
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I only ran 14 km in July due to a variety of reasons. Right now I'm sick with the cold of the century. Hoping I can hit about 80km this month with a stretch goal of 100 km. Once I get over this cold I can start running again. Unfortunately it's settled in my lungs.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    8/2 2 miles. It was my first time running outside this summer so I am going to choose to be happy about running in 80 degree weather with no pain in my leg instead of complaining about how slow it was. I am very thankful that we don't really deal with humidity in Colorado.
    exercise.png

I like your attitude! I'm going to choose to be happy about only getting a very light sunburn from yesterday and not complain about the copious amounts of goose crap on the trail!
  • sushan88
    sushan88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Headed to gym in the morning, perspired buckets on treadmill (though pretty slow pace, 6kph) til noon, had a heavenly cool shower before going to teach my class in the afternoon. Reminding self that getting the day off to a good start really affects the rest of it!

s-blk-exercise.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Drifted away at the end of July. So August targets:

Runs 13
    Ttl distance 74k
    Long run 8k
    Interval 20/1
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get there! After work today, I'm going out to snag some more miles. :triumph:

exercise.png
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I did a horrible job of tracking last month. Since I'm out of physical therapy, my primary goal is become accountable again. This group helps with that. I'm going to aim for 60 miles this month.

exercise.png