WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    You can never be over dressed Only under dressed!! You both looked great!! One time we would dress for all theater events. Enjoy!! Gayle Minneapolis
    Gee Gayle... I don't know if Becca CAN be underdressed. Is that possible for a nudist? smiley-ashamed006.gif

Becca - What a nice-looking couple you are! Still, I think I prefer your DH in a kilt. smiley-happy088.gif

Joyce, Michele and Sylvia, my thoughts are with you in and out of the hospital. <3 So much worry!

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    morning all~
    well yesterday was a long day.. all of you that are friends of mine of facebook can see the pictures that I am tagged in..
    had a real nice time at the winery~ we were in the tasting room and for me it was really to loud and then we wended up going to 2 outlets.. I am not really an brandname shopper, but did get 2 pair of sneakers...
    and got 11,000 steps and slept like a rock..
    and to all of you have asked.. yes after all this I still do Love Tom and hope that this is something we can recover from.. and I will consult a lawyer.
    Syliva~ I have had a bout of that too and ended up in the hospital..
    Joyce~ hoping that they can get Charlie stabalized and figure out what is going on..
    going to go out for a walk in a few
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    DrKatie - what a beautiful picture - thanks for sharing it with us

Meg - I've learned that breakfast doesn't have to be your typical breakfast. Sometimes I have lunch or dinner leftovers for breakfast but then I'm only feeding myself. I love leftover chicken and brown rice or avocado chickpea salad for breakfast. What about a wrap with chicken, a little cheese, maybe some salsa? My most go to is greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit.

Allison - been there done that. I'm glad to see you're looking out for you. My thoughts are with you.

Michelle - your exercise schedule makes my head swim.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Did not post yesterday because my hands and all my other joints were so stiff and painful. I spent three hours on Saturday scrubbing in the apartment for my son. The oven and floor were disgustingly filthy. The pain from overdoing always hits the day after overdoing. I was in agony just standing to do a sink full of dishes yesterday morning. No way could I handle church. Couldn't hold a book even!

The apartment just needs some paint touch-ups and the landlord is having the carpet cleaned. Then we wait for my son's Housing Agency in Boulder to finally send his Section 8 housing voucher to Iowa. The guy there is dragging his heels and we are terrified Peter will lose his voucher because of it. They only allow 60 days to sign a new lease, BUT it cannot happen until the agency sends the voucher! He has already missed getting in to an apartment for September! Such a helpless feeling!

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Joyce - this must be so overwhelming for you. I hope you have someone to help you and Charlie.

Linda - thanks to your success I now know what onederland is and will be there with you someday!

Tuliplor - You have a lot on your plate right now. Sometimes all you can do is take baby steps. I would start with something that you know you can do consistently. Perhaps focus on you nutrition plan as what you eat is 80% of being successful with weight loss. Sending you good thoughts.

Sylvia - hope you are feeling better.

Joan - I admire you for working toward your PHD. I have contemplated going back to college and finishing my BA but just don't know if I have the energy.

Janetr - I too need both knees replaced. Have needed it done for many years. First they told me I was too young; then I needed to lose weight. Now I can have it done but am afraid what it is going to cost me. My chiropractor said I should wait until they lock up as yours did. Why would I want to do that? I have enough trouble already.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Loving the gorgeous RV photos, the walking sticks, the dressing up, the festivals and the great looking husbands! :drinker:

Michele - you have worked so hard! Glad all went well, especially the mfp visitors. Now is time to relax a bit, though I guess you don't really know what that word means. Get in that pool! :flowerforyou:

Pip - feel better soon!

Joyce - still thinking of you! :flowerforyou:

We woke up late this morning after a Nytol. :* Then we took some "marital medicine". :bigsmile: I have to do some admin and writing this pm, but I will not rush or stress myself. I will treat myself with loving kindness. :)

Has anyone heard from Yanniejannie?

Left overs for lunch. Lamb and Flageolets stew for dinner. All easy stuff. B) DH is going to pick beans as they are a bit high up now. Still raining.

Lots of love, Heather UK

• Lagopus
    Options
    Heather - The mere thought of beans growing so high it takes a full-grown man to harvest them feels strange to me now.

I woke up two days ago to a thin layer of new snow. I had been intending to take a photo showing the summer snow cover minimum but figured I had another day or two to take it. No such luck. I was also hoping the snow would melt away during the weekend, as they'd promised rain and 4-6°C (about 40°F). Nope! The rain fell as snow and now I don't think we'll see the bare earth on the mountainsides again until May.

I've just finished editing a report about fishing in the Arctic Ocean over the past 34 years. smiley-sleep009.gif I'll send it off to the authors with a few choice words and a big fat invoice. Then it's on to an article about using internet-based tools to help people recover from mental illness, more specifically, what factors in the implementation strategy make the tools most likely to succeed. "Never a dull moment for an editor," she said in a voice dripping with irony.

After an hour or two of that the sun should be shining and I'll go out and do the last 3 km I need to achieve my 100-km goal for this month. smiley-sport033.gif

Have a good day everyone!
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Last week we finished the couch to 5K program. Today we started on the couch to 10K. Run for 10 minutes, walk for 1 minute. Repeat 4 times. I do it with 2 friends, one is 10 years younger than I am, the other is 20 years younger than me. I can't keep up with them, but I'm sure I would never do the program on my own. We do it at 5:30 am before we get ready to go to work. I've already got 8000 steps in today!
    Have a good day everyone!
    Maryann in Michigan :)
  • Lagopus
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Go Maryann! Soon you'll be running just as far as you darn well please!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Penny - Actually he will have to stand on some steps to harvest them! They are runner beans and on a low raised bed.
    I would be interested in the Internet based tools for mental illness. My elder son has depression.

t2hkuifehgol4.jpg

Maryann - Great going! Running is out for me, but I admire those who can/do. :flowerforyou:

Alison - Don't confuse loving someone with your right to a nourishing marriage. I loved my ex, but our marriage had run out of steam. You can love and let go of what is not good for you. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK

wk4bp67etgg2.jpg

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Penny, I, too, would be interested in your article!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sunday noon-time workout with my boys. Greg worked up a sweat for 20 minutes on the treadmill. Payne lifted 35 pound dumbbells and deadlifted 115 pounds. z5g9i0b7j4up.jpg
    drun99aboguk.jpg
    corwwf88p36w.jpg
    ygqgwnenn26t.jpg
    iqzqzhzv0x8b.jpg
    sse0z0khi21e.jpg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Gloworm - I'm so thankful I had my right done and now the left coming up. I'm on Medicare now so they paid for it, then we have government insurance that covers the difference, Jack is retired Air Force. Mine too had been bone on bone for 4-5 years and got to the point of excruciating pain. I sailed thru recovery with the right knee. I'd encourage you to look into it.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Heather like what you said about loving someone, but letting go of what is not good for you. This can also pertain to friendships, jobs...I have had situations where love is not enough. Learning to accept and to move on for me is part of the healing process. Where I am currently trying to do this is with our DS#1. I love him. I am working at letting go of trying to fix his problems. I am also trying to not let his problems aggravate my problems example not to over eat in reaction to the stress his illness causes our family. I realize it is even more important in times like this to take the best care of myself I can and use the NO word to anything that adds to my stress.

I also like what Karla McKlaren(spelling ?) says when faced with dealing with anger. Yours or someone else.
    "What needs to be protected and what needs to be restored" I think also fits when going through the rough patches with someone you love.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Morning ladies! I will be doing my strong lifts 5 x 5 then I have to mow the lawn. I mowed two hours yesterday while my DH was up on the roof. I have another one to two hours left today. I am looking forward to meeting with Margaret and Gayle and possibly Toni. I was glad to hear that Michele was able to meet with Carol and Rori. It is nice to be able to visit with the people that we have become friends with on here.

Drkatiebug - your anniversary picture was beautiful! Happy Anniversary! When did that take place? Do you take an anniversary picture every year? I haven't done that but it seems like it would be a great idea.

Heather-your beans look delicious!

MNMargaret - good advice on taking care of your self. If we don't take care of ourselves first then we will not be able to help anyone when and if we can. My DS and DD also have issues with anxiety and depression. I also have to learn to say no.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Sunday noon-time workout with my boys. Greg worked up a sweat for 20 minutes on the treadmill. Payne lifted 35 pound dumbbells and deadlifted 115 pounds.

Wow! Your DS is catching up to me. When did he start? I started March 2. It is nice that you have family members to exercise with.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options

morning peeps -

nice rv pics janetr !

annr - LOVE the red lips and the dress!

miriamwithcats - sorry to hear about your pain. take the day off.

lagopus - yeay for you in reaching your goal!

terri_mom - love those pics of them working out..

i was out for the count yesterday, kirby went to go workout without me, i stayed in bed coughing up a lung, with a raging headache and couldn't get comfortable for the life of me. yesterday we also had a baseball game to go to and i REALLY didn't want to go but i went and as SOON as i walked in the door, my *kitten* went up to bed. i thank GOD that i didn't have any hotflashes last night which makes life worse when you're sick. i was too lazy to get some headache pill and pain pill for my shoulder so i just dealt with it., i HATE blowing my nose.

this morning, i thought was the 1st so i drove to the gym to workout, then i saw a reminder on my phone come up reminding me of my appointment TOMORROW. :0/ oh well, i guess it was a blessing in disguise that i didn't ride cuz i'm sick. but i did go workout. so tomorrow i find out about this new doc and what he thinks. we'll see how it goes.
  • Lagopus
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm back from my last 3k run. It felt good enough that I decided to go for a new record for distance in a month, so I did a full 9 kilometers for a total of 106.8 km. It would have felt like such a waste to have been so close and NOT gone on to a new record...

Heather and Miriam, I suspected you might be interested in web-based tools to support mental health. There are some really promising research projects going on out there. In particular, they're finding that people with social phobia can be helped by online tools, whereas face-to-face encounters are completely out of the question for them. Unfortunately the article I'm supposed to edit is focused specifically on how the attitudes of the line managers involved in implementation of a tool influence the eventual success (or failure) of the implementation itself. Turns out there's nothing about the tool. Nothing about the user's perspective. Just academic stuff. Important but bone dry. As usual.

Yay for your gym studs, Terri!

Tomorrow I head for the gym for my little session with the PT. After that I'll start in on a gradual build-up to some serious weight lifting. Mary, thanks for the inspiration!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lagopus - congrats on your record!!
  • pipcd34
    edited August 2015
    Options
    stat for the day:
    spin- 40min, 79ar, 78aw, 9-13g, 9.7mi = 358cal

now gotta take a pain pill