WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Our day of rest is not turning out that way. I mentioned to my son that I was going to go weed the small downtown park I care for, and he opted to come along and help! NOW he is lying down!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am back from the doctor's office without seeing anyone. The person who I had the appointment to see called in sick. It is frustrating to drive so far for nothing, but that is the beginning. I had a phone message from my doctor's office. Bone density results from yesterday are back and reveal that my bone density is not as good as two years ago. I need to talk to my doctor about medicine and/or other changes, but she is on vacation until September. I'd like to know what experiences & recommendations you may have on the subject. It is time to do some homework so that I can make good decisions.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Nancy in FW, TX - Way to go girl. I know I FEEL so MUCH better when my house is all clean and nice and I can enjoy it. Otherwise I am stressed and cannot relax. Good job on working on those goals. :)

Janetr OKC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Charm, I just want to say that not only is having wet clothes locked in the machine for two weeks unacceptable, being without a working brand new machine is also unacceptable. When my new machine broke once shortly after I got it and the repair appointment was going to be two weeks out, I asked to speak to the manager in the store where I bought it. He agreed that the wait time was unacceptable and delivered me a brand new machine the next day. Of course this wouldn't help a whole lot in your situation, because the delivery people would cart off your clothes along with the machine. What if the machine had your uniforms or something that you really, really needed? There ought to be a better way. I think the guy go was actually there and refused to unlock your clothes should be fired, or at the least severely reprimanded. And they should make this right with you in some way. Perhaps a voucher to buy new clothes, because there's a strong possibility that these are going to be ruined - sour, mildewed, etc.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I finally posted on FB and said someone please give me some kind of update on my sis and bro in law. Niece answered and said my sis was supposed to go home yesterday afternoon with a drain tube. BiL was taken of the heavy sedation meds and was aware of his surroundings. They will try to take him off the ventilator again later today. I worry if my sis can be there or has any one to drive her. I'm not sure which hospital he is in, if its the one they "normally" go to, its an hour drive from her home. Wish I were closer.
  • kmsouza2015
    kmsouza2015 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hello, Barbie.

My name is Sara, and I am new to this group. I just turned 50 in June and my body seems to be rebelling! I have high anxiety/OCD/PTSD and have struggled for years. I finally found a doctor that is helping me with medication and I am starting to feel better emotionally. But...I have gained 16 pounds in the last three months! I have no energy, which is new to me. I am not sleeping as well, which is also new to me. I am a clean eater with the occasional naughty snack thrown in and I normally workout 5 to 6 times a week. My husband is 5 years younger than me and I am beginning to feel our difference in age.

I can use all the support and encouragement I can get! And any insight into this 50-year old body would be much appreciated.

As for goals for August? At this point, I simply want to get back to exercising 5 days a week.

Kris in Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    hey peeps -

katla
    - bummer, that would be frustrating... sorry.

last weekend I started dusting.. I HATE dusting. the kind of dusting that you have to remove everything, wipe everything and put it back kind of dusting.. slowly but surely, getting thru the living room and working my way up.
    did I mention I hate dusting? oh yeah, dusting, I hate it, it's for the birds :0(
  • Sharon0661
    Sharon0661 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon: This is my first post on mfp although I have been using the APP on and off for years. My goal is to keep on using this tool!

August Goals
    1200 steps daily
    3 days of running/weights
    4 days of walking
    8 glasses of water
    1200 or fewer net calories
    Lose 2 pounds this month
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nancy - great going on the washing machine! You keep at it! I agree with Katie, you should get some compensation for mouldy clothes. Or a brand new machine. But you did very well to persist! :flowerforyou:

Katla - I guess you are googling already, but nothing much will change before September when your doctor gets back. I think Michele takes something for bone density. Oh the penalties of getting older! ! ! ! ! ! :sad:
    Good job you caught it early. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK

PS All you lovely folks meeting up - I'm sooooooo jealous! :flowerforyou:
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Carol darling picture.

DJ WOW!

Rori good to see you post.

Went to see the movie about Sherlock Homes. Overall thought it was well done.

Watering today. We are having a top ten weather day today. It has been dry and we have sandy soil, so watering as I type.
    Going to take a load to Goodwill today.

Hoping to get together with Toni and Gayle tomorrow.

Today clearing out some of my things to make more space for tomorrow.

:heart: MNMargaret

I'm still on, can't wait to see you!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • Kibbly
    Kibbly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just checking in quickly. I had another good day yesterday and so far today.
    Looked after the grandchildren this afternoon which is always a joy. I'm feeling shattered now :)

Have a good day everyone

Kibbly from the UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Whereabouts are you Kibbly?

Heather UK. in Hampshire
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    4crpewpn9eu9.jpg
    Wanted to also mention a high priority for today: kitchen cleaning and disinfecting the stove top, microwave and countertops. Affirmation: 'I deserve to live in a clean, healthy and organized home.'
    Oh I do too, and I tore down my kitchen ceiling (both of them) on the weekend and my house is covered in rock wool dust, and there are 14 garbage bags in my driveway and 3 recycling bins full of (soppin wet ) ceiling tiles and assorted bits of old lumber that people have put up there over the years. And of course mustn't forget the mouse nest . The 2' X 3' by 18" high mouse nest. So if you have any energy left when you are done yours, could you please come over here and give me the kick in the butt I need to get out there and clean up that mess? I am hiding in my office, pretending I am working to avoid going in there.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who commented and made suggestions on the locked washing machine problem.

Called GE repair again. Told them that having WET clothes locked in a washer for 1-2 weeks it totally UNACCEPTABLE! After I INSISTED they do an emergency door UNLOCK, the Customer Service Agent called Dispatch. Was on hold for 10 minutes.

She validated that the emergency door unlock is a simple procedure. Confirmed my strong feeling that the Technician was being lazy yesterday and just blowing me off. Grrr! Dispatch is having him come back late this afternoon. They will call and let me know what time.

Also, I'm going to at La z Boy and picking out a new recliner after work today.

Where did you buy the washer? Its worth a call to the store, talk to a manager, asked to have it replaced. I had this happen with a fridge purchased at Home Depot. The repair company kept sending repairmen that would order parts and it was taking forever. So I called HD and they picked up the new lemon fridge (b/c it was defictive) and I got a 2nd new refrigerator as a replacement. Plus they threw in sale price and lifetime warranty!

Good luck <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    laymfzdx1ewm.jpg

Cheri in Sunny NE Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    ps0251c84iea.jpg

just because
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Beth (and Mame) – Hugs ! My paternal grandfather was the same way. He could cut you down in the most subtle or direct ways. But when you had something you hoped he could be proud of, he would say why didn’t you do even better than that, or “grandparents never think that way” or something else non-supportive. My mom REFUSED to visit him for many, many years, and even gave herself a migraine before his funeral and didn’t attend. I hope you can help your son’s remember the best when the time comes. And yes, your mom meant well when she showed you her funeral outfit. It is a difficult thing to discuss, but will make your life simpler when the time comes. More hugs ! ! !

Miriam – I love full-spectrum lamps. They help me sleep in the winter.

Becca – Welcome to Bonkers-ville. I feel like I am there, too. Just too many borderline-bad things happening at the same time. Even good stress is stress. Hugs ! ! !

Dreid – I understand. When I am faced with food that I know is not good for me, my brain shuts off and I can’t stop myself from eating it sometimes. Keep trying, the ladies here are wonderful. I hope we can help each other.

DJ – Thanks for the hug. Sometimes my personality gets in the way of other people having their trouble, so hugs are better than my opinion when a person really just needs to feel heard, and not fixed. Plus, I feel the hugs coming back, and I needed that last night. // Yes, I have been stocking up on meat lately, because DS isn’t done with his growth spurt yet, and I shop less in the winter because I’m afraid of falling in the snowy and/or icy parking lots. 2 huge salmon, 2-4pound packs of chicken fajita meat, 2 -5 pound packs of ground beef, at least 2 dozen pot pies or other assorted frozen dinners, Hot dogs, brats (a total of 8 grocery bags stuffed full of meat and meals). The only thing we saved was the turkey (only about ½ inch thawed and the rest still frozen solid). I also saved the frozen vegetables and shredded cheese, but I’m not convinced that the vegetables will be edible. Thanks for the sympathy on that loss. // LOVE that outfit ! ! !

Janetr – very insightful. Nice job recognizing that trigger and starting the process of re-focus on throwing away food (it is so hard to do ! ).

Nancy (TX) – Hugs for your frustration. That’s a long time to have wet clothes. The only thing I know of that will even come close to removing that smell is OxyClean, and even that will take a day-long soak. Good luck. // My car needs another bulb, this time in the right turn signal (just replaced a brake light last week). Crazy Cars !

Sharon – Your DGS sounds a lot like my DS and DH. We went to the County Fair, and they spent well over $60 just eating food. // So sorry you missed watching your brother. I find those events fun even when I don’t know anyone, so seeing a sibling would be totally COOL ! ! ! // Hugs for all the stressors with DH.

Heather – Good job taking that first step.

Lisa, Pip, et al – I am also an untucker. It is a rare shirt that I feel looks good on me when tucked, unless it is the “bloused” to hang a certain way. I was that way even when thin. I took a mirror picture of myself Friday night, and my daughter told me it is time to get rid of all the extremely baggy clothes, but I’m still self-conscious about my belly.

Joyce – Thanks for so elegantly suggesting that which I was unable to state without sounding bossy. We all want what is best for each other, and it’s hard to put into words the difficult life steps that will make survival easier, because we don’t want to consider surviving our children. Preparation makes fear of the future a little less stressful and fearful, but nothing makes it painless. I guess I was raised in environments that discussed end-of-life choices very early, so although discussing it is sad, it is a necessary sadness that we work through together, and we stick together VERY tightly when it is time to execute those wishes. Believe me, some slightly more distant relatives sometimes have their own beliefs, and they will pull out all the stops to get each of us to change our minds or go against each other. I signed papers for both my parents (now just Dad), and everyone I am close with is aware of my wishes. See, I did it again. I get too bossy and chatty, and say WAY more than I need. But in review, I'm not sure what to delete with out making it sound confusing. So, please understand that my intention is NOT to be bossy, but only to share and offer more (((((hugs ))))) ! ! !

When my DH had his mid-life crisis, the thing said to me that made the most sense was “keep or start exercising, because when you feel good about yourself, you will be able to make logical decisions instead of emotional decisions about your relationship.” I still don’t trust DH 100%, and he is aware that I probably never will. But I don’t spend every minute of every day wondering what will be revealed next, or what will make me angry, or what he will do or not do to make me suspicious again. I just go along in life, ask questions, and drag him back to “worshipping” me when he starts to slip again, because I know better than to let it get that far. This is one way that I take care of myself, even if it means spending less time worrying about what he wants. I work-out for me, and my sanity, and if he doesn’t like it he can come along and work out (or watch) with me.

Sandi – when I first started on MFP I struggled to stay within calories of maintenance. I didn’t think I would ever be successful at losing weight. I haven’t lost much this time around, but I feel more positive every day that I will be able to succeed, and most of the thanks goes to all these wonderful ladies on this thread. I opened my food diary to friends, and they have made suggestions. Plus, dumping all my garbage here helps clear my mind to allow room for success. Thank You to everyone here ! ! !

Heather – I hope you will feel the arms of all of us on this thread, as we hug you, as you talk with your son. Someone else said awhile back that on some level your son probably already knows. Remember, he loves you for you, and what someone else did to you when you had no control will not change that. Hugs ! ! !

Charm – You Go Girl !!! Take care of everything in one big sweep. So happy for you!

Last night DS went with my Dad at a Brewer's game, and DH made Kraft Mac & Cheese for supper (nothing else). He only saved me a tiny spoonful, so I had that with 4 HUGE brussel sprouts and baked cod (almost 6 oz piece). It felt like a successful evening (until I found the freezer situation in the basement). Now, I am hoping to continue on that path, because it feels so good. I haven't lost any actual pounds this week, but I feel healthy, and my clothes fit well. I'm not terribly thrilled with the belly that used to be around my waist but is now sagging under my waistline, but i know it means progress (and I noticed a few others talking about a similar situation, so I feel like part of "the group"). Thank you to everyone who shares these personal situations, so I feel less weird and alone. You are all such a wonderful part of my sisterhood.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! ! (and I really mean it, because I could use the hugs back. o:) )

Terri in Milwaukee
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I’m just to the bottom of page 4 and I decided to post as I read so that I’m not any later than I already am with some of my responses.

DJ (@damitjanit) – Windows 10… I work in the world of technology but I am not really a hands-on techie. I just work with a lot of people who are. Overall, the reviews of Windows 10 are positive. One big “feature” I would avoid, however, is what they call Wi-Fi Sense. It will automatically share your Wi-Fi connection with anyone in your contact list. You have to turn off this feature in your settings.
    Becca is also right about the updates. If you are running the standard Home version of Windows 10, you can’t refuse the automated updates. This is good from the perspective that you are getting the latest security updates, but it’s bad because we’ve all experienced those times when an update breaks something. I do have a co-worker who just bought a new Windows 10 PC and seems to like it. I’m holding out a little longer before I upgrade because I’m probably buying a new laptop this fall and I’ll just buy with Windows 10 installed and then upgrade the PC in my home office.

Alison (@grandmallie) – (((hugs))) Even when our hubby’s are being complete jerks, we still love them and I’m sure it’s hard to see Tom hurting and unable to talk about it. It sounds like you’ve given him a couple of good suggestions but you know that it’s really up to him to seek help. I hope all works out for the best and I’m saying a prayer that it does.

Janet (@janetr7476) – (((hugs))) for you too and prayers for your sister’s family.

It’s wonderful that so many new ladies have decided to join in our conversation. Welcome to you all. I was new just last month, but I have found the support here is what keeps me motivated. The ladies here are AWESOME!!!

Linda/IA
  • Kibbly
    Kibbly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm from Northampton Heather.