WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MNMargaret - wow both pics are gorgeous. One year, when I had a bumber zucchini crop, I made ever imaginable recipe using zucchini. One we particularly enjoyed was zucchini relish. Can put it on hamburgers, serve with most meat dishes, good as a vege dip too. Of course that involves cooking it down and canning.

Janetr OKC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love seeing other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning My Friends,

Linda, great picture. Looks like ya'll are having a great time.

Carol, I think your hair would be cute that short. It will always grow if you decide you don't like it.

Mia, I think we would be great friends, too. I did the same thing with my names at marriage but it was no big decision. I never used my middle name so it just seemed natural.

Jen, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information as well. come often and join right in.

DrKatie, your clothes sound great and a size smaller is too cool.

Carol NC, I hope the depressing thoughts leave you, too. I lost a very good friend (not to death) a few years ago and it is devistating! I feel your pain.

Pip, so glad you are going to get that shoulder taken care of. I just didn't like the idea of the way it was going.

MicheleNC, one of my pet peeve's is to have to wait for the check when finished eating at a restaurant. Or for the server to come pick it up after you put your money or card with the check. That can affect my tip as much as the service of the meal.

dim4mom, welcome. this is a great place for support and information. Please end each post with the name you want us to call you. It makes it easier for us to respond. Good luck on your journey.

Katla, so glad you had that wonderful sail back to your dock. Ain't life grand? :)

Joyce, Congrats on the 4 pls.!!! I'll tell DH what you said about his cold. That is what I thought. DH doesn't so much complain about me always talking about my Fat Chat Friends, but more gets amused. Don't know what I did without ya'll.

Lisa, I feel the same way about this great group.

Heather, computer problems can be so very frustrating. Hang in there and don't let it get the best of you. (((Hugs)))

Chris, so glad you are having a great time in Mexico.

Only time for a quick hello and a wave to Everyone.

I'm having a wonderful time with family in Texas. It's so wierd that just driving to the house, everything looked like Texas. I alway thought I'd retire someplace here as I have missed it for 50 years since moving away. I love the architecture of the homes. The wedding is this afternoon and an even larger reception is tomorrow. Missing you all and had to really skim the posts as there were too many to read slowly and respond to.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC in the Big D area.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I Love My Job ! Today is the last day for one of the doctors; she is getting her own clinic in a nearby town. So my job is to decorate the huge envelope that contains her parting gift from us. Microsoft word, a scissors, and some laminating paper. Easy and fun !
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Special Ladies:

Well I think my life has settled back down a bit, I don't think there's a lot of travel in the next little while so I finally have an opportunity to post. :smile: Welcome to all the newbies and congrats to those of you celebrating victories and hugs to those of you needing them.

Has anyone heard from Toni in Tennesee? - last I remember she was going to visit her sister.

July Goals:

1. Do menu planning for July - Increasing protein to 130g per day. Do one week at a time so that can adjust as I go. (Failed at this goal totally!)

2. Log all meals - try to pre-log to get a better handle on calories for the day (Logged when I could get reasonable access to the internet)

3.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week (Success!)
    • W1: Family reunion - 3 days of fun and hard work
    • W2: Tai Chi with friend who will start beginners and needs some company. Hot Stone Massage
    • W3: Lunch with Tai Chi ladies, surprise Dad for his birthday, swimming with boys
    • W4: Aunt's 75 birthday party, Booster Juice with friend after Tai Chi
    4. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes. (Success)

Goals for last half of August:

1. Log all meals

2.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Haying in the 30's cancer support, camping with the folks
    • W2: Smith Family reunion, swimming with DS#2.
    • W3: Celebrate my birthday with the boys, invited to Aunt's for supper,
    • W4:
    • W5:
    3. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Have a great day everyone!
    Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your support thru all of this shoulder thing. my app. with the new doc is 9/1.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    thanks for all your support thru all of this shoulder thing. my app. with the new doc is 9/1.

Yeah! We are all so happy for you!
    Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Tried the pasta zero noodles today for lunch. They were OK but needed a more flavorful sauce. I used a little chicken broth, chopped onions, garlic and some imitation crab meat. I don't really like imitation crab meat so that was part of the problem. Binged like a mad woman last night and am having to cut way back today. Don't know what was wrong with me but I just kept eating and eating and eating anything I could find. I don't do that ever to such an extent. :'(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I love the photo of your DH and your friend. :heart:

Pip: Your original maiden name is lovely, but I like your current name most because Kirby is such a fine man. I'm happy to call you Pip. Thank goodness your doctor finally bought a clue! I hope all the surgery details are worked out swiftly and you get it done the day after your bike ride, or as soon after as possible. I hope you are pleased with the new doctor. :heart:

Carol: Hugs to you during this time. I hope you get through the depression quickly. :heart: I never had hot flashes combined with the feeling of being sick unless I was sick. I did have hot flashes, mostly at night & accompanied by sweating. I hope you'll get it checked out. Good news regarding your son's education. :flowerforyou:

Beth in WNY (& Alison): I agree with every word you said to Alison. You are a wise advisor. Alison is generous with her time and talent, valuable, and worthy of respect. :heart:

Becca: I always hated being an only child, but your comments almost make me think I was lucky after all. Being the sole focus of two hovering adults is not much fun at times. I have some friends who I consider sisters of the heart, and have formed a good friendship with my DSIL and a particular cousin. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Re: air conditioning. Our air conditioner is a separate device from the furnace, but the cold air is fed into the heating system ducts and vents. Works great. :flowerforyou:

Barbie & Joyce: Jake's learning style is just about the same as mine. I drive my DH crazy and he is not tolerant. If I'm in learning mode it is best for us to be in different parts of the house. :devil: :laugh:

Michele: It sounds like the restaurant where you went with your group should be on the never again list. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Joyce: The sailboat has sails but it also has auxiliary power provided by a diesel engine. This is the usual situation with boats that have live aboard capabilities. Think of it as a floating RV with sails and a motor. I tried to create a link for you that would show the boat's picture but totally failed. Look up Catalina 320 specifications. You'll see what it looks like. :flowerforyou:

I had an amazing sail up the river with DS yesterday. We made it from the docks in Astoria to our dock at home in 9 hours with the engine on and the sails up. This was made possible by the good luck with had with the tide. We started just as the tide began to come in and were helped the whole way by the rising tide. The Columbia River is affected by tides all the way to Portland. It is especially noticeable in the summer when river flow is not as strong.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Katla fortunately we have no vents. We have a boiler and hot water heat. Our boiler lasted 47 years before we replaced it last year. It was time. There is a system where the condenser is outside and then you have these slim wall units that are much more quiet than running tubes through the house. Plus you only have to turn on the units you need.

We use a Restaurant. com card when we want to go to an Indian restaurant. We have a $25 dollar one and you need to spend $50. We usually go with friends. I have gotten some through AARP. You can also buy them very cheaply.

Janetr I might need to make relish yet. The pancake was great I just followed a basic recipe and used less milk because of the zucchini.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Katla - So happy you had a happy day sailing home! <3

Delicious dinner. Yummo! All was good until DH poured me the second glass of manzanilla sherry. I complained he had poured himself a tiny bit more. He adjusted it after I stood my ground. :bigsmile: Sulked for a bit, but I talked him round.

Got my bathroom back in order. Hooray!

I haven't heard from the rental management as to the state of my rental. I want to visit it soon to put some electricity on the key meter and to put a timer on the side light. Don't want squatters moving in! I hope they give me back the money they reserved as the potential buyer wants the place cleared out I think. I will need the money to pay for house clearers. I might take the microwave away as it is nearly new and my own is very old. The place is fully furnished with crockery and everything.
    Still crossing my fingers it all goes ahead smoothly. :ohwell:

Love to all. Heather UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Joyce, my car is older than yours. It is a 98 Honda civic that I inherited from my aunt.

I can top that: my husband has a '97 Honda CR-V! He loves that car. I drive a 2012 Honda CR-V and both kids drove Honda Fits (they live in Chicago now so have no need for cars). We sold our daughter's but still have our son's 2010 Honda Fit.

Cheri a HONDA Family in NE Ohio
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! I am working another long shift today 6-5:30. then I am off the weekend. Tomorrow we are going on a motorcycle ride to raise money for Make A Wish. This is a yearly ride we go to as really believe in what they do. Then Sunday we are taking DGD (Paytn) and meeting DD and family from Beatrice in Lincoln and taking the kids to the children's zoo. So going to be a busy weekend.

Jane--Glad your back is doing better. I put the tens unit on my neck last evening and does feel better today. I do think most of my problem is stress. I am doing a lot of praying about things at work.

Becca--I understand how you feel about your sister. I am the that sends birthday, Anniverary cards and I don't get any in return. Most my siblings only call if there is a problem or they need something. But I keep trying. In the end you and I have nothing to feel guitly about we tried.

Jen--Welcome, you have come to the right place for support and friendship. Hope to see you often.

katiebug--Sounds like a good choice for the picture. Will be looking forward to seeing the picture.

Barbie--Jake is a lot like my Steve. My DH has learned most of what he knows on the computer by trial and error. He updated our computer this last weekend to windows 10. I must admit I do not notice any difference. But then I don't do a lot when I am on line.I am happy when I can get my facebook, e-mail, MFP and my fitbit. Last evening DH loaded my fitbit to my phone. Do think I am going to like that so can check my steps during the day.

Carol--One Day at a Time. Sounds like you are doing better. Sending hugs and prayers.

pip--Glad to hear you are going to have the surgery. I do think you will be quick at recovery.

michelle--I agree with the saying if you eat it, log it. I have been doing that also and somedays I just want to cry. But does teach me what is important and how much the little things add up.

grits--What a terrible accident. I have been hit by semi's twice. Last time he ran a stop sign and hit just behind my door and took the back half of the explorer off. I remember thinking he had just hit the very back and DH would be mad. They had to cut me out and I do remember I kept telling them to let me walk to the ambulance because we were in a ditch and it was up hill. They would not let me and I kept telling them I was to fat for them to carry. So God has plans for us and that is why we are still here.

Well this day has gone to pot in a hurry. Worked with the boss the first 8 hours and that is always a thrill. They bought in cookies and sorry to say I have eaten 3. I have to get a better handle on this. Anyway looking so forward to this weekend and being away from work. Take care ladies. I will do my best to check in this weekend.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    hey peeps, got a followup doc appointment today with my regular doc. gotta ride over there. will be an interesting ride, rain and thunder is supposed to happen. fun fun!
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hello Gals,
    Embarrassed to admit I have been plugged in most of the day...on the good side I increased my biking time last night and slept like a rock. I also cooked a big pot of Jasmine rice in chicken broth w a little olive oil, then I sautéed mushrooms and onions and added some minced steamed broccoli. Makes a good healthy base for a few meals but need to incorporate some protein...having my once a week large reg dark roast w turbo dunkin iced coffee and gearing up for another round on the bike..I am nervous about starting work and standing seven hours a day when I spend a lot of time in my easy chair. I am hoping the biking helps...one week till I start so I think I'll start walking the dogs and follow along w some of you and incorporate some dumbbell work for my back. It seems a lot of you have fit bits? I am thinking of joining in..any advice? I love the ideas on last names! My nickname is Mindy btw..Katla I have never sailed but I do enjoy kayaking and it is ever so more enjoyable when you are going with the tide or wind! I am traveling to Fort Meyers the Everglades and Key West this winter! Haven't been that far south in Florida before..anyone have any suggestions? The trip is part of my inspiration to be healthier..I swam w the Manatee last year...and hope to Snuba in the Keys though I am terrified of sharks. I get a huge amount of encouragement from all of your posts. Thank you just doesn't seem enough. I hope you all have a good, safe but joyful weekend.
    Melinda AKA Mindy
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Today I feel calmer about the whole sister situation. Many months ago, when I was seeing a therapist for my issues with my marriage, and handling everything after my husband rec'd his transplant, she told me I needed to let go of some of my expectations. I just need to love and care for the people that want to be in my life and hope that the others will accept my hand when I reach out to them every so often. That is all we can do. I guess I will call her every month, just to let her know that the door is still open for us as sisters, and leave it at that.

Today I created a calendar for our TOPS group. It is just numbered boxes that both TOPS and KOPS can initial when they come out of the weight room. If the TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) or the KOPS (kept off pounds sensibly) lost weight then they can initial it. This one is 287 boxes so I am giving them a 4 month window to initial all the boxes. With 35 members, if half of them lose weight each week it will be about 3.5 months until it is completely filled in. A good goal I think.

Today I fixed homemade bean soup made with chicken stock, spices, 3 ozs. of beef kelbasa, and a can of Great Northern beans. It was really good. I made 3 servings worth, so husband had it too. It's nice when he eats stuff I like.

Everyone be safe exercising, be happy with your success'es, be respectful with yourself, and most importantly BELIEVE in yourself. We all are awesome creatures, and have soo much to give to the world. Us nurturers of the world, us mighty Goddess's of everything women. (Do I hear Helen Reddy singing??? lol)

Becca (just sitting looking at RAIN and loving life....in grey ol Oregon coastal spot of heaven)

• mtowne002
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Today I feel calmer about the whole sister situation. Many months ago, when I was seeing a therapist for my issues with my marriage, and handling everything after my husband rec'd his transplant, she told me I needed to let go of some of my expectations. I just need to love and care for the people that want to be in my life and hope that the others will accept my hand when I reach out to them every so often. That is all we can do. I guess I will call her every month, just to let her know that the door is still open for us as sisters, and leave it at that.

Today I created a calendar for our TOPS group. It is just numbered boxes that both TOPS and KOPS can initial when they come out of the weight room. If the TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) or the KOPS (kept off pounds sensibly) lost weight then they can initial it. This one is 287 boxes so I am giving them a 4 month window to initial all the boxes. With 35 members, if half of them lose weight each week it will be about 3.5 months until it is completely filled in. A good goal I think.

Today I fixed homemade bean soup made with chicken stock, spices, 3 ozs. of beef kelbasa, and a can of Great Northern beans. It was really good. I made 3 servings worth, so husband had it too. It's nice when he eats stuff I like.

Everyone be safe exercising, be happy with your success'es, be respectful with yourself, and most importantly BELIEVE in yourself. We all are awesome creatures, and have soo much to give to the world. Us nurturers of the world, us mighty Goddess's of everything women. (Do I hear Helen Reddy singing??? lol)

Becca (just sitting looking at RAIN and loving life....in grey ol Oregon coastal spot of heaven)
    Hi Ann, I apologize if I came across as if I were out of line last night. I just was trying to express my empathy as to also having sisters with whom I had been distanced from both geographically and relationship wise. I too practice at letting go of expectations of others..I have a very hard time of it at times..but always feel so much better when I do. What spices did you use in your bean soup? I have bought some beans and lentils both canned and dry and can't figure out what I want to do with them.
  • mtowne002
    Options
    mtowne002 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »

Hi Ann, I apologize if I came across as if I were out of line last night. I just was trying to express my empathy as to also having sisters with whom I had been distanced from both geographically and relationship wise. I too practice at letting go of expectations of others..I have a very hard time of it at times..but always feel so much better when I do. What spices did you use in your bean soup? I have bought some beans and lentils both canned and dry and can't figure out what I want to do with them.
    Oops Melinda (mindy)
  • Annr
    Options
    @mtowne002 empathy in any form is always nice...no apologizing needed :smile: My bean soup is really easy. I take a U piece of kelbasa and cut it up in one oz pieces. I use a food scale for this. Mine has a button I can switch from oz to grams. Anyway I freeze the kelbasa so it lasts longer and just bring out what I need. So just cube up 3 pieces (ozs.) of kelbasa with 2 T olive oil, ground pepper, pinch of salt, heavy pinch of cayenne pepper, pinch of tumeric, and a pinch of all purporse seasoning. Brown the kelbasa, then add water (about 3.5 cups worth) and one can of rinsed Great Northern white beans, or pinto beans. If you really want it beany add another can. Add "Better Than Boullion Chicken" paste. (2 tsp worth) Then just simmer it. I take a big spoon and squish the beans against the side of the pot periodically. To release the beany heavenly goodness! I don't use dried beans, because I don't have the patience for it. You have to rinse those, soak overnight, changing the water every couple of hours....when I think of soup its usually when I am planning out my meals that morning and want soup for lunch!
  • Annr
    Options
    zucchini%20cabbage%20spinach%20great%20northern%20beansin%20beef%20broth%20mid%20day%20meal%20Sept%205%202013_zpsgghuswvg.jpg

I like to use white beans with a beaf broth, some shredded cabbage, zucchini and spinach :smile:
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sounds n looks great!!!! Gayle Minneapolis