WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    772tlgkjt75b.jpg
    My friend said "pose", so I did...this is the lobby of the resort in Cancun. Had the best vacation ever. Ate and drank way too much and enjoyed every morsel. Went to the gym 4 mornings and walked a lot. Snorkeled and paddle boarded.
    jwbdqdq7ty73.jpg
    I felt so good about myself and relished every complement. So glad my knees didn't give me a bit of trouble and I could do everything I wanted.
    Weighed in this morning and gained 11 lbs so it's back on the program. I'm pretty sure it will come off quick.
    Not too many pics of me on my phone but if I get some from my friends I will share. I was too busy having fun to take a lot of pics but that's what friends are for.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Chris back in MAn74d7anscski.jpg

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I had the most wonderful day! I picked up the grands and took the little guy home, then the girls and I went to Joplin, under the pretense of going shopping. After we hit the mall- food court for their lunch, nothing for me- and the Justice store, we got back in the car and headed south. I told them I had to run an errand.

We pulled up in front of the convention center where there was a HUGE inflatable cat and a big sign that said Cat Show. They were so surprised and had such a great time. There were over 100 cats and they got to pet, hold or coo over almost every one of them. I was surprised that there weren't any other kids there, except for one older girl whose mother was showing a cat. At the end, the lady who was selling tickets gave the girls each a little zipper-pull charm for being so well behaved at the show. I never dreamed there were so many different kinds of cats! It was really fun. I really want a Maine Coon Cat. Or there was a gray cat with vivid blue eyes. Or an orange cat with black stripes that had Bengal in his breed name, I think. Too bad hubby hates cats and the dogs would kill one. My son is allergic so he can't have one, so it was nice that the girls got to visit some.

Then afterward we shopped for stuff on their school supply lists. I spent way too much money, but that's ok. Back to school stuff is expensive! So now they are home and hubby and I just walked the dogs so now I'm settled in for the night. It's been a good day.

Penny, I'm so glad you are back! Sorry to hear about your mom's fall, though.

Pip, sorry your in such pain!

Well, good night everyone. Sweet dreams.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You are lucky that you get to see your DGC so often. Mine live over 980 mies away, and I get to see them two or three times a year if I'm lucky. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Penny: I'm glad you made it home safely. Your mother's situation was tough for everyone, but I imagine she was very happy that you were there. It likely wasn't a particularly fun vacation for you, but you were needed and have the satisfaction of knowing you were there for her. :flowerforyou:

raymax: Thank you for your kind wishes. I feel like a very lucky woman because I get to ride and improve my skills but don't have the responsibility of horse ownership. For now, the situation is just right. Regarding planks, I do them as part of yoga classes. We do fewer planks and gradually increase the duration of them. We stretch before and after our planks. One piece of advice, don't hold your breath while holding your plank! Keep breathing. I know I held my breath at first. Maybe you're smarter than me. I'd also suggest that you stretch thoroughly before your first plank, stretch between them and after the last one. :flowerforyou:

margf: Congratulations on getting to walk! It is the best exercise to improve mobility and good for your cardio system. :smile:

Pip: I keep you in my thoughts. I'm glad you've made the decision to have surgery and can hardly believe you are waiting so long. Sending good thoughts your way. :heart:

Good news to report. Our boat is back, and ready for us to reclaim it and put our stuff back into it. DS and DDIL are on their way home, but DS will be back in the near future to work on his own boat. :bigsmile:

I am feeling amazingly well after horseback riding over hilly trails for four hours yesterday. In fact, I may be just a little smug. I did it and I'm not in pain today! :bigsmile: I can feel the long muscles in the front of my thighs & know they've had a workout, but they don't hurt. I'm really grateful to my teacher for taking me along on the adventure. She could have just as well chosen to take one of her friends along instead. She invited me because she knew I'd appreciate the chance to go. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love seeing other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening My Friends,

Sylvia, sorry hubby is under the weather. Isn't it wierd how things like that can happen over and over? I hope Molly is okay. That does sound like something is going on with her.

Katla, your trail ride sounds like loads of fun. Glad you got to do it.

DrKatie, love the kitchen remodel. It makes such a difference. Is it more fun to cook and eat in there now?

Mia, love the new picture. Are you in the Red Hat Club or what ever its called?

Sylvia, I love your kitchen remodel too. How long ago did you do that? Looks so sleek and modern.

Pip, love the picture of the kids. So sorry for all your pain.

Penny, so good to have you back and so sorry about your Mom.

Chris, glad you had a ball on vacation. Love the picture and you look fantastic.

We had the after wedding party at the bride's house yesterday. I'm somewhat of a Party Planner so I helped with table set up, flower arrangement and other things. Then helped during the party with replenishing food and supplies. They had a great turn out and everyone seemed to have a wonderful time. The party went into the wee hours but I crashed around 10 or 10:30 as had been hard at it all day. I have so enjoyed seeing my niece and nephew and their children, not to mention my brother's first wife. We don't see each other often enough. One more day and I'll be heading home. As always, it will be nice to sleep in my own bed.

I only replied to a few but am thinking of all of you. Congrats to those with victories. Hugs to those that need them. Welcome to all the newbies.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,644 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Chris - Beautiful picture. You have every right too be proud and pleased. You look terrific. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,370 Member
    Options
    Did about 45 minutes of Jane Fonda's advanced Workout. The DVD cut off the last portion so I won't use that one ever again. The plan for tomorrow is to do another segment of the Butt Lift DVD I have, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Made another spinach/feta quiche, fried up crab cakes for us to have later in the week, fried some chicken breast patties for me to have for breakfast sometimes, then made cod for later in the week. I still have to let the cod cool and then wrap it up to go in the freezer.

Moira - you have to be sure to click on the right star. The one you want that will bookmark this spot is by itself to the right of "Women 50+ for August". After that you can click on the star that is in the group, after the bell and the numbers (to the right of them) and this page will be bookmarked. Update: oops, glad you found that star!

Sylvia - the handles in your kitchen are the exact same ones that I have on my craft cabinet! And your refrig is almost like mine, only on mine the ice/water choices are above where the water comes out whereas yours are on the left.

janetr - I had my bangs trimmed one day because I'd gone there the week earlier and she wasn't there. To have someone else do it would cost me, so I waited. There was a lady waiting to have her hair done . Since I really needed the bangs trimmed, I had her do just that part. Now when I go this time, I'll have her trim my bangs and hair at the same time. There'll probably be a charge for it, but I'm thinking it's not going to be that much

Joyce - at my Y and the one I was at previously, you could rent a locker and keep your things there. You might look into it. If anything, it might give them an idea of a way to make money, and we know that Y's are ALWAYS looking for ways to make money. I don't have a window in my kitchen, either.

I swear the kitchen in our last house was designed by a man. So inefficient! It was a galley kitchen, the oven was right next to where you would put your kitchen table. If the oven door were open and the person sitting at the table moved their chair back, they'd get burned. Now on the other end of the kitchen was the refrigerator. Why didn't they just put the refrig where the oven was? Then when the lady before us redid the kitchen, she wasn't a cook at all so she just used the same design that was there.

pip - so sorry your shoulder hurts so much. That surgery will help, I'm sure.

barbie - tell me more about these adjustable dumbells. What's the name of them? I remember hearing something about adjustable dumbbells, but I didn't remember the name of them. I thought that they might work better than having 3 sets of different weights. Also, I could increase the weight (or decrease) as necessary.

Penny - wonderful to see you back, we were getting worried. Sorry about your mom. Great that you only gained 1lb, all that lifting and moving probably helped that to happen

bjlshops - you can do this and we'll be here for you every step of the way

marg - a Christmas cruise, how neat!

Becca - a bacon, spinach, and tomato sandwich sounds great. Personally, I think that any person who serves in the military should be taken care of 100%.

Chris - fantastic pics. I'm sure the weight will come off. It may be slow going but it will come off

Sylvia - so glad you got to take the girls to the cat show. Bet they enjoyed each and every minute of it. That was so nice of you to do. That gray cat with the blue eyes might very well have been a ragdoll.

DJ - so glad you had a good time at the reception. Safe travels home

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    MIchele, Here is the link to the dumbbells I bought from Amazon...

amazon.com/gp/product/B007WKK5HE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I already have a pair of 3 pound, 5 pound, 10 pound, and 15 pound but the strong lifts program will have me lifting a lot more than that and I didn't want to keep buying dumbbells.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Linda -Which school in Iowa. Marching band is a good place to make life long friends. My daughter loved being in Marching Band in college.

She is attending University of Northern Iowa. Her roommate is also joining marching band, and she will know a few people who graduated a year ahead of her in high school. I think it will be a great experience and a great way for her to make new friends.

Linda/IA

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with bookmark for about a week. I kept going back to barbie's email to me to see if there was something I was missing then one day I just happened to notice the correct star. It would be helpful if MFP would use the normal bookmark symbol for bookmarking. I am reading everyone's post but overwhelmed to reply to separate people yet. Everytime I think I'm getting close to the current day there are 10 more pages! :s Oh well getting to know some of you and will be more chatty soon. Since I retired and moved to a different city it's been difficult to find time to make any new friends - at work I had many - so this group is the next best thing in fact may be better. <3
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    Ok I can do 5 sets of 40 seconds. Any hints to help me take deeper breaths?

In Pilates, they teach you to breath into your back rather than expanding your stomach. My daughters' voice teacher tells them the same thing. Put your hands towards the back of your rib cage and practice breathing so that you can feel your ribs expanding out to the sides/back. That is supposed to strengthen your diaphragm which will in turn help you to take longer breaths. Not sure if that will work for your planks, but worth a try.

Linda/IA
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    Penny at the Pole (@lagopus) - Glad to hear you are back. I am amazed at the strength of your mom. I pray that we all may have her strength at age 90.

Linda/IA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Get weighed in on Tuesday; I've gone over my caloric intake about 2/3rds of the time; but, still hoping that the exercise I am doing will more than make up for that. Next week I am going to try to be strict about it because following week will be tempted by good old Cajun food, the next week I will be weighed in again, so that gives me 3 weeks between weigh-ins and the last one being when I am in Louisiana for a week. Maybe I won't gain too much.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Linda/IA That's so exciting about your daughter going to be in Marching Band in college. Our grandson just started at Southeastern Oklahoma University on a full marching band scholarship. He had to start last week. I think its great that there are still youg people interested in and excited about being in band. Good for your daughter, I know you must be very proud of her.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    GloworminWA - Welcome Gloria, I read your latest post and I truly can relate. I moved here 14 years ago but doesn't seem like I have made any close friends other than a few at work, now that I retired and don't see them I feel a bit isolated. I'm married and Jack is wonderful but he doesn't want to go exercise and/or walk with me nor does he love to shop :) We understand it takes a while to get to know who is who in our group, and some come and go, but please feel free to pop in and read as much as you like and join in when you feel like it. I admire you're determination, not sure I could raise two grandchildren, Bless your heart.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So all, thanks to those who dropped me a note, and to others who thought about me… all is and was well – just completely overwhelmed by life… In the past 3 weeks I have had 16 days of company, 2 dinner parties, a birthday (which I did the cooking for), and a 1200 piece order for my business…. Just something had to give, and sleep gave some, and MFP gave all… But for every (or almost every) bite I thought about you all and my mantra was WWHD (What would Heather do?) as she is a seasoned hand at losing and maintaining while eating out and partying…. And I did really really well! Lost 1-2 lbs while I was not counting very well…

I have gone back just 3 pages, as 1K posts is overwhelming so 3 pages is what I am doing…
    It is the second day of a heat wave, over 100 both days, and expected for 2 more… and I don’t have a/c, I am good about opening up in the evening, and then running an exhaust fan all night and closing up before the warm are creeps in, but today it was 80 inside, (20 degrees cooler than outside, but really too hot for me), it is now 80 in and out, so me and the computer are sitting on the back patio typing… a tiny tiny breeze helps…

Katie – your kitchen pictures are really pretty..

Miakoda –wonderful transformation!

The kittens are really cute!

Mimi – Welcome back! I have not seen you it a long time

Penny – wow your mom is a trooper!!! Awesome spirit…

Pip – so I know I missed a lot as you are now planning surgery, take care, I don’t know how things work with your state/job but when I had my knee re-built (ACL) I was able to go on state disability and use a couple of hours of sick leave per week to make up the money difference – and that helped stretch things out.

Becca – what a positive attitude.

Chris – you look great, and so relaxed and happy

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles as of 8/16 95 miles
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 –
    W4 –
    Kim from N. California
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Janetr- my daughter was in Marching Band for 5 years at the Univ of Idaho. She loved it. One of her friends is now the drum major and the school mascot. She still goes back to alumni band. She got to play for half time at a Seattle Seahawks game.

Linda- I attended ISU in the 80's and my mom's family lived in Osceola. I enjoyed spending my summers in Iowa.
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Heather, your DGD is adorable. Being a grandmother is the best!

Penny, I'll be thinking about you and your mom. You both have wonderful attitudes.

Becca, you're doing what you need to do. Sounds right to me!

Kim, welcome back. I was gone longer but how nice that we both got back at the same time. I enjoy having another Northern Californian to share the journey with.

I've been back a week now. Feels good.

Eating right and staying on track was easy until today. I had just started fixing breakfast when a friend called to see if we could get together for an early lunch. So, I ate just a bite of breakfast and met her at 11:30 am for a salad. (I stuck with just 1-1/4 T dressing - that's where the evil lies! - but didn't have much in the way of protein.)

By afternoon, I was starving. I stayed on track and ate some filling food though when I got home. I'm fine now but had a good lesson in what not to do. Nevah, nevah, nevah put anything (at least, almost anything) ahead of eating right at the right time. The resulting hunger - and temptation that goes along with it - is just not worth it.

One of the things I like best about MFP is how good I feel when I'm staying on track. Part of that is putting the "me" stuff first. My old habit is to sink into "I shouldn't be so selfish" mode and go along with what everyone (and anyone) else wants to do. The fact (and this is a fact - and I'm going to keep telling it to myself until I fully hear it!!) is that nobody else cares if I take care of my own needs and let other plans revolve around that. They really, flat out, don't care.

So, if I had to do it over again...

I'd tell my friend "I'd love to see you. I'm just about to sit down to breakfast so a late lunch would work for me." Then she could have decided if that would work for her. I'm betting that it would. Especially because she's the kind of friend who understands and supports the whole MFP deal.

I would have avoided the whole "getting too hungry, wanting to eat, I don't like this!" feeling.

Alrighty, self. You heard it. On board? Yep.

• janetr7476
    Options
    gawworthington - That is great about your daughter. How cool that she got to play at a Seahawks game. How thrilled you must have all been. :)

Janetr OKC