True Confessions - Don't Judge

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I am such a nerd I have considered talking to the school board about letting me do a convocation for juniors and/or seniors about credit and how badly you can screw your life up bynot using it wisely.

Took my 17yr old to the bank to open her first checking account and she didn't know how to write a check. Not that checks are really used anymore but I took a class in middle school that taught us all about finances, budgets, credit cards. She was clueless.

They aren't even teaching cursive here anymore. How the *kitten* are they supposed to sign their own names?

In blood.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I am such a nerd I have considered talking to the school board about letting me do a convocation for juniors and/or seniors about credit and how badly you can screw your life up bynot using it wisely.

Took my 17yr old to the bank to open her first checking account and she didn't know how to write a check. Not that checks are really used anymore but I took a class in middle school that taught us all about finances, budgets, credit cards. She was clueless.

They aren't even teaching cursive here anymore. How the *kitten* are they supposed to sign their own names?

This happened to my 15 year old. I took him to open a checking/debit account last year. The teller asked him to sign his name. He couldn't. He was never taught cursive. The teller said, that happens a lot these days and to just write his name out.

My son and a few of his friends were hanging out at the house shortly after so I started asking them questions and they all actually said they have love/hate relationships with their school appointed lap tops. Yes, they love them. It's a computer, everything is right there. But hate them because they often go days without having to physically write anything. Their penmanship is suffering. They struggle reading cursive and can't write it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I hate couches.
  • cee134
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    I hate couches.

All couches? If you hate futons we cant be friends...

:(

Sidenote: Futons are cool.
  • cee134
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh *kitten*. Top of the page again! I'm going to post more stupid *kitten*!

h4x4a386vbuw.gif

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I confess I have a helluva headache.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I confess I have a helluva headache.
    You can't catch a break sweets
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    I confess I think most people live well outside their means and don't think enough about their future.
    I confess I think most people live well outside their means and don't think enough about their future.

I agree and firmly believe all high school students should have to have a class or seminar on things like credit use and budgeting.

Yes! I look at people I know who make about the same money as us and think "how do they afford all that?!" Bigger house, newer cars, stupid stuff like Yeti coolers. But we're putting a good hunk away for later so we live well below what we bring in. Helps me sleep at night.

I talk with students and younger people a lot about this. What prompted me to post was talking to a 25 year old that said he would have LOVED. class in high school with information we were talking about. I mean, I am an educator and we din't make lots of money, but I don't spend much, have been scrimping and investing every bit I can, and made it all work. But I have friends who tell me how broke they are that they can't pay bills, but we are out at lunch and they are talking on the newest phones, ordering like crazy, and we go out in their nice cars. Crazy.

I haven't had a car payment or any payments but my mortgage in over 12 years. That alone is a huge savings. I do all my work on cars and my house myself, which saves $1000's and more each year. So many ways to save...I see so many younger people leveraging and spending their future now.

Anyway...off my soap box.

I'm 28. I own my place and put extra toward my mortgage payment each month, I have no car payment, student loans, or credit card debt, I have a year's salary in the bank, and I can afford a couple of vacations every year. Before we got married, I made my husband get his finances in shape.

My parents taught me to budget by giving me a wad of cash each month and telling me I had to make it last until next month. All my lunches, any time I went out with friends, new clothes, subway passes, birthday presents, etc... I very quickly learned that I had to budget, and I learned not to "loan" money to certain friends. It's the best thing they did for me growing up. School never taught me anything about money, and that's pathetic. It's one of the most important real-world skills to have.
  • cee134
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    I hate couches.

sjRAbpa.gif

19vul6x1r42n.gif
    200-4.gif 1003.8K
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I confess I find fun and games fun. Definitely less dramatic though

:grin: We're saucy here.

57bmovpdhmn7.gif

Is that what it's called
  • cee134
    Options
    I confess I like dogs too.

aj92i0jvcvcs.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

I agree and firmly believe all high school students should have to have a class or seminar on things like credit use and budgeting.

Yes! I look at people I know who make about the same money as us and think "how do they afford all that?!" Bigger house, newer cars, stupid stuff like Yeti coolers. But we're putting a good hunk away for later so we live well below what we bring in. Helps me sleep at night.

I talk with students and younger people a lot about this. What prompted me to post was talking to a 25 year old that said he would have LOVED. class in high school with information we were talking about. I mean, I am an educator and we din't make lots of money, but I don't spend much, have been scrimping and investing every bit I can, and made it all work. But I have friends who tell me how broke they are that they can't pay bills, but we are out at lunch and they are talking on the newest phones, ordering like crazy, and we go out in their nice cars. Crazy.

I haven't had a car payment or any payments but my mortgage in over 12 years. That alone is a huge savings. I do all my work on cars and my house myself, which saves $1000's and more each year. So many ways to save...I see so many younger people leveraging and spending their future now.

I'm 28. I own my place and put extra toward my mortgage payment each month, I have no car payment, student loans, or credit card debt, I have a year's salary in the bank, and I can afford a couple of vacations every year. Before we got married, I made my husband get his finances in shape.

My parents taught me to budget by giving me a wad of cash each month and telling me I had to make it last until next month. All my lunches, any time I went out with friends, new clothes, subway passes, birthday presents, etc... I very quickly learned that I had to budget, and I learned not to "loan" money to certain friends. It's the best thing they did for me growing up. School never taught me anything about money, and that's pathetic. It's one of the most important real-world skills to have.

Same here.

Except those darn lap dances are real budget busters !!

.... not that I'm complaining.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Same here.

Oi..I said for you they were free ;)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

Same here.

Not tipping would be poor form.

.... and not nearly as much fun.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Same here.

Not tipping would be poor form.

.... and not nearly as much fun.

You don't need money in your hand is all Im saying >:)