True Confessions - Don't Judge

Options

Replies

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    We trade youth for experience. I don't think it's a bad trade.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    We trade youth for experience. I don't think it's a bad trade.

I concur. And then you play the cards you are dealt.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I confess, it's a bit scary and un-nerving getting older. I was blessed with very good athletic skills and overall health, and probably took a lot of that for granted when it is given and things happen very easily like that. But now with my health issues, eyes fading a bit, and loss of movement like I used to, I do get scared, and honestly really mad at this body. I am working hard to cope with it, but there are more days than not I focus on the negative instead of the positive...no matter what I say.

@Timshel_ ditto

HEY YOUNGER MFP'ers!!!!! ^^^^^ Did you read this?

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, oh, never mind
    You will never understand the power
    And the beauty of your youth until they've faded
    But trust me, in twenty years
    You will look back at photos of yourself

And recall in a way you can't grasp now
    How much possibility lay before you

You know what since turning 40 I have been in what is likely the best shape of my adult life, I was told by coaches I had as a kid while competitively training that I am probably a better skater at 40 than I was at 16. I have learned a new sport which I'm actually pretty good at. yes I'll never be the athlete I was but age is just a number and as it creeps up recovery might be a little slower than it was 20 or 30 years, falls might hurt a little more but I can honestly be proud of what I have accomplished with my advanced age.

I skate with people with artificial hips and knees and who are 80 or 60 and trying to better themselves and learn new things. Anything is possible. I'm sure my 62 year old friend 20 years ago wouldn't have dreams she'd be lining up beside me and skating alongside people a third her ago and keeping up.

For me it's all about recovery.
    I don't heal like I used to.
    I can't put myself into high gear as frequently or as long as I used to.
    I'm not as fast as I used to be.

I played basketball this winter and hung with kids half my age. But I assure you I felt it twice as long as they did after the game was over. And I didn't have any of the pizza, beer, or late nights they had in between games.

It is what it is.

I think it just takes retraining. I admit I push myself too hard lots of times amd ignore signs that maybe I should take it easier. It's a combo is adhd and stubbornness
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I confess, it's a bit scary and un-nerving getting older. I was blessed with very good athletic skills and overall health, and probably took a lot of that for granted when it is given and things happen very easily like that. But now with my health issues, eyes fading a bit, and loss of movement like I used to, I do get scared, and honestly really mad at this body. I am working hard to cope with it, but there are more days than not I focus on the negative instead of the positive...no matter what I say.

@Timshel_ ditto

You know what since turning 40 I have been in what is likely the best shape of my adult life, I was told by coaches I had as a kid while competitively training that I am probably a better skater at 40 than I was at 16. I have learned a new sport which I'm actually pretty good at. yes I'll never be the athlete I was but age is just a number and as it creeps up recovery might be a little slower than it was 20 or 30 years, falls might hurt a little more but I can honestly be proud of what I have accomplished with my advanced age.

I skate with people with artificial hips and knees and who are 80 or 60 and trying to better themselves and learn new things. Anything is possible. I'm sure my 62 year old friend 20 years ago wouldn't have dreams she'd be lining up beside me and skating alongside people a third her ago and keeping up.

I played basketball this winter and hung with kids half my age. But I assure you I felt it twice as long as they did after the game was over. And I didn't have any of the pizza, beer, or late nights they had in between games.

It is what it is.

Pretty much this.

I'm just half a step slower which means I just need to cheat more or be willing to throw a cheap shot or two.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I like to think that what I have lost in my physical ability I have more than made up for in my emotional stability and wisdom... Although I am now working harder in the gym.. I find that it's a poor substitute for the physically demanding jobs I once had... sitting in an office sure makes a person soft :P
  • mkjohnnic
    mkjohnnic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I confess that giving up coffee is the best and worst decision I've ever made
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@Timshel_ ditto

It is what it is.

Pretty much this.

I'm just half a step slower which means I just need to cheat more or be willing to throw a cheap shot or two.

Cheap shots? I would nev......
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I believe I was hit on at the Dog Park yesterday... truly.. hit on... She was hot... ergo I must be too :)... or maybe she just wanted me for my dog. Hmmm that sounds a little off
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    I believe I was hit on at the Dog Park yesterday... truly.. hit on... She was hot... ergo I must be too :)... or maybe she just wanted me for my dog. Hmmm that sounds a little off

MadUnfinishedDarklingbeetle.gif
  • turbostang7
    turbostang7 Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    138shades wrote: »
    I confess I don't know what I want out of life anymore.

Should we start a club? I feel like there would be at least a couple of other members.

I would be in this club with you guys as well
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    I confess I don't know what I want out of life anymore.

For me it's the opposite. I know what I want but I'm letting fear of failure stop me.

• FeraFilia
    Options
    I confess I need to have a serious conversation and I'm not sure how to bring the topic up... and I'm not sure how express my myself without causing emotional pain.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I confess I need to have a serious conversation and I'm not sure how to bring the topic up... and I'm not sure how express my myself without causing emotional pain.

Oi, these can be the worst feeling but sometimes the most necessary conversations.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I confess @FeraFilia made me curious ;)
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    I confess @FeraFilia made me curious ;)

I'm good at that.
  • transphormyn
    transphormyn Posts: 65 Member
    Options

The hardest thing to do is to start the conversation. You owe it to yourself to have the conversation. Good luck.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options

Those are never fun conversations good luck
  • FeraFilia
    Options

Oi, these can be the worst feeling but sometimes the most necessary conversations.

It's definitely necessary. And probably overdue.

And I'll probably keep putting it off for a while because I'm a chicken.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I confess i love chicken