I hate eating healthy....

Options
How do you guys do it?? I really dislike eating vegetables.... ek! There has got to be a way to eat them and they don't taste horribly awful?? :( I need some sort of motivation! My friend is a personal trainer, went to college and everything for it! And she wants me to eat salads.... I cant seem to choke it down!! How do I make it taste better than just tasting the lettuce... without smothering it in ranch :smile: One more thing... are there any runners out there? How do you train yourself to be a long distance runner??

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat just lettuce or salads to eat healthy. Season your vegetables, steam them.
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    I learned to run gradually, starting with walk/run drills. There is an app called couch to five km, or c25k. Look it up in the search here and you will read lots about running.
    As for diet, eat what you like! Find foods that help you meet your macros and that you enjoy. If you must have a salad look up salad in the search feature. Someone posted 100 salad recipes yesterday, surely you will find one you like.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    stir fry helped me a lot.

I can make an asian inspired dish loaded with onions, garlic, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, peppers, etc.
    Add some beef and rice, and it's super easy to eat.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you hate all vegetables you probably aren't cooking them right. Try roasting some cabbage in olive oil and salt and pepper. Try a sweet potato with butter. Try greens with bacon grease or creamed spinach. Most veggies benefit from a little fat.

I'm not always a salad girl but I find if it is good lettuce and has some meat and an avocado I'm quite happy :)
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I make veggie quiches (a kind of french pie) or I sautee my veggies with chicken stock and I mix them with lowfat cheeses.
    have you tried the cauliflower pizza crust? it has plenty of cauliflower (I've also made it with broccoli), and you can add as many (and as little) veggies on top as you want. And you can barely taste the cauliflower. I love it!!!!

It's not necessary to have salads to get your veggies in your system. You can also try making smoothies, and cold soups (we have gazpacho in southern Spain, you should look for a recipe that suits your tastes, I strongly recommend it).

I used to hate veggies, but I very slowly got used to having them in many different ways and ended up loving many of them.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Smoothies help me get my leafy greens in. I can add 2 cups of spinach to my smoothie and not even taste it.

Roasted vegetables are great, try with something mild like cauliflower to start.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    I will try these! I just really don't like the taste of carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions... list goes forever! I don't mind cauliflower but every day I can't even think about eating them. haha.

Running - I had a child and ever since then I cant run very well... it hurts my hips and my back really bad. I'm not sure why but there has to be a way to break through that. Maybe the more I run the less it will hurt??
  • GimmieDatSalad
    Options
    You need to just eat them. Food can be the greatest medicine ever, and fruits and veggies are a huge part of that, you don't get to skip them!

Use seasonings, steam them, roast them, make them delicious! But in the end you may never be as attracted to vegetables as other things, but so long as they're on your plate in good amounts at every meal, you don't need to love them, you just need to eat them.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I make my own egg fried brown rice and add 80g of little peas and chopped spring onion. To this i add stir fried beef or chicken loaded with sliced mixed peppers. I'm not a fan of plain veg myself. i can take leaves with red onion and thinly sliced cucumber but I like to add a little salad cream. I've also saw pics of healthy shepherds/cottage pie that is made with lean mince and instead of potato on top, boil and mash some brocolli, carrot and caulliflower and put that on top then bake. Sweet potato can be cut into chips too, rub with olive oil and salt/pepper and oven bake or if you like add some spice to the wedges. Don't force yourself to eat things you don't like but have a try of some things first.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with smothering your salads in ranch :p

Try other vegetables, roasted with oil or butter? I use a balsamic glaze that makes them irresistible. Golden beets with olive oil and balsamic glaze is my new fav! Don't just eat salads, sometimes salads suck. Just pick veggies you like. You don't have to eat what everyone else likes and don't be afraid of butter and salt. Pick your battles!!!
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My toddler eats salads and vegetables. Grow up.

I could probably learn a thing or 2 about healthy eating off my toddler lol.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My husband hated vegetables... I started adding a couple cups of spinach to a fruit smoothie in the morning. After a few months he "discovered" that he like spinach. I think his body decided that it like what spinach was doing for it and his taste literally changed. This continues to happen. I sneak veggies into everything...and then serve them less and less disguised. The only thing he still doesn't like AT ALL is green beans. I can live with that. Plus the more active he becomes, the more healthy food his body craves. I have always liked veggies...
    So maybe just chop them up really small and put them in other foods... your taste may change as your body learns the value of the food.
  • ChelsieDOSH
    Options
    I roast most of my veggies.

Toss them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, it makes them crispy and slightly browned.

I mainly do this with brussel sprouts, carrots, and asparagus but I'm sure there are recipes using other veggies online.

Its super delicious, just make sure not to over do it with the olive oil, its full of healthy fat but it's easy to go overboard with its high calorie count, just a little will do the trick.

Oh, and I cut the brussel sprouts in half and remove the twiggy bottom before roasting, it removes the bitter taste.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I will try these! I just really don't like the taste of carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions... list goes forever! I don't mind cauliflower but every day I can't even think about eating them. haha.

Running - I had a child and ever since then I cant run very well... it hurts my hips and my back really bad. I'm not sure why but there has to be a way to break through that. Maybe the more I run the less it will hurt??

I'd suggest trying as suggested above, different ways of preparing them, personally I can't stand most vegetables raw, so I cook them, you just have to find what works for you, even if it's hiding them. Skinnytaste.com has a good meatloaf recipe that has zucchini in it and you wouldn't know it's there!

As for running, I'd suggest talking with your doctor if you have pain like you're suggesting... but after he/she gives you a clean bill of health I'd definitely do the C25K program, there is even a good forum just for that with lots of good tips, including starting off really slow and working on endurance over speed, speed will come later and you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • TLow97
    TLow97 Posts: 55
    Options
    How do you guys do it?? I really dislike eating vegetables.... ek! There has got to be a way to eat them and they don't taste horribly awful?? :( I need some sort of motivation! My friend is a personal trainer, went to college and everything for it! And she wants me to eat salads.... I cant seem to choke it down!! How do I make it taste better than just tasting the lettuce... without smothering it in ranch :smile: One more thing... are there any runners out there? How do you train yourself to be a long distance runner??

Kinda know where you're coming from. I'm actually not a big fruit-eater, but have honestly had to just force myself to eat them. Up until last week I had avoided bananas like the plague... I've had 1/2-1 banana every day since then. You may have to think of vegetables as "medicine" for a while until you find some ways to make them tasty :-)

If I make eggs, sometimes I chop up some baby spinach and add it to the scramble.

Asparagus is awesome sauteed in a bit of olive oil and some juice squeezed from an orange (not orange juice).
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm always curious about why people who don't like vegetables don't like vegetables. Have you tried every single vegetable on earth prepared or cooked in every possible way and still didn't like a single one? Or, is it more of a mental aversion to vegetables? I've never met a fruit or vegetable I didn't like (although I don't understand artichokes) so it's a little hard for me to understand someone not liking vegetables period, but my suggestion is for you to try new vegetables cooked in different ways. Maybe you hate steamed veggies but you'll like them in a curry or stir-fry or veggie burgers?

I seriously doubt you've tried every vegetable known to man and hated all of them so why not try new veggies and experiment with cooking them in different ways. I personally am not a fan of the standard cold salad with lettuce and dressing, but I love grain salads with veggies, cooked veggies and wilted salads.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    stir fry helped me a lot.

I can make an asian inspired dish loaded with onions, garlic, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, peppers, etc.
    Add some beef and rice, and it's super easy to eat.

My mouth just started watering. Thanks :bigsmile:
  • Randommongol
    Randommongol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use V8 (low-sodium) to help get my vegetables in. It tastes like cold tomato soup. Not the best thing in the world but 1-11oz can is 2 servings of veggies. 9 or 10 swallows (yes, I count while chugging to get it over with) and you're done. Don't breathe in through your nose as this increases your sense of taste.

Hope this helps.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    How do u eat your veggies? Even my kids love how I cook my veggies.
    I roast my veggies or add them to soups, I do not eat that much salads but when I do you can have more then just plain old lettuce. Make your own dressing, not expensive.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My toddler eats salads and vegetables. Grow up.

A little bit of this, and a little bit of finding better ways to prepare them. I like mine grilled or sauteed in olive oil. Or sauteed in olive oil and then add a few eggs to make an omelette. Now that's tasty.