I hate eating healthy....

Options

Replies

• Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a local farmers market.. Fresh veggies are a million times better than frozen or canned (in my opinion anyway) so you might even like things you think you dont.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I used to not like veggies but I started searching around the internet to find different recipes that included them and were still healthy. I love a lot of them. Try the green giant simply seasoned steamers, they are pretty good. I also found an amazing meatloaf recipe that added carrots in it that had everyone fooled and full!! I started addng other veggies to the meatloaf too, it is so good.

About salads: I hate iceberg lettuce, but love the darker leafy greens like spinach and arugula. If you only like the salads with Ranch then use Ranch, but instead of putting it on the salad dip your fork into the dressing and then stab some salad and eat it. I use this trick in restaurants that use a ton of iceberg lettuce and you taste the dressing in every bite but end up using a lot less dressing.

About the running, I don't know how long ago you had your child, but for the first year it kinda hurt anytime I tried to run. I started doing other workouts like the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and after doing videos like that for a bit running no longer hurt. It's like my body had to first heal from having a kiddo and then stretch out again.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Absolutely. "Not liking vegetables" sounds like a pouty five-year-old. We are programmed to prefer sweets and fats, so kids have to be helped through the picky-eating stage. As picky adults, our parents obviously failed so we have to get ourselves out of it -- and at least half of that is attitude. Everyone is entitled to certain likes and dislikes, but when you just cast a blanket "don't like it" over a whole class of foods, that's attitude! Look at those around you eating and enjoying vegetables. What do they know that you don't? For starts, they don't dismiss any group of foods as undesirable. If you cook them properly, with seasonings you enjoy, you will probably develop a taste for most, if not all vegetables (although you will find that you have preferences, and a few that you really just can't warm up to!). Failing that, you can be grown up and eat what's good for you, what makes you healthy, and what keeps you thin!
    [/quote]

Pouty 5 year old? Seriously, I am asking for advise on how other people eat them so that I can enjoy them! Why is that so hard to understand. Because someone doesn't like something that you do then they aren't an adult??? How does that make sense! My son hates roller coasters but I love them... do I need to tell him to grow up because its what I do? Good god!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, Beachiron, it may be wise to consider that many people grow up low income, and when you do, you don't eat fresh veggies, probably not even frozen. Until I had a decent, grown-up income of my own in high school, I don't believe I'd ever tasted anything other than canned corn or canned green beans (as far as veggies go). I wanted to like veggies, and I was an athlete, so it was extra important to me. It takes an adjustment period. Your advice is spot on, but it is more likely to make someone feel inferior for asking advice than to actually help them. I agree with you, but a large part of the problem with obesity in our country stems from the cost of fresh food being so much more than canned/processed. Take a dollar to the supermarket and see how many calories you can get in junk food, then see how many you can get in the produce aisle. It's not impossible to be healthy on a tight budget by any means, but odds are stacked against some people.

At some point, our own health has to be important enough to force us to be willing to change, and I'm sorry but patting someone on the back and commiserating about hating vegetables doesn't exactly seem like a step in the right direction. It is much better to simply suck it up and start eating them. Hell, I love cookies, and cake, and ice cream, and blue cheese dressing. I also snack on carrots, celery, apples, melon, and spinach. Learning how to motivate ourself to eat right is part of growing up. And yes, I stand by the "grow up" comment. It seems a hell of a lot less rude than "jerk" in any event. I've learned not to expect much from these forums and it's why so many of my friends who have been very successful have stopped trying to help. The lazy and immature are not worth the effort and time, and the angry reactions only make it less so.
    I believe that the retaliatory remarks (ETA: after you posted your advice) weren't exactly mature. However, I feel that if you look back through the thread, that no one said it was ok. They were giving advice on HOW to get used to veggies. That's what OP is here for, she directly asked for advice. People relating and saying "I used to feel the same way..." is NOT the same as saying "Well, it's ok if you don't get your s*** together now". It seems like you WANT OP to be a villain here, instead of a person who came to EXACTLY the right place, to get the APPROPRIATE amount of help, for an issue that was clearly defined.

I believe you have a good amount of wisdom to share, but instead of that showing, it is your impatience that shows.

Getting all butthurt because everyone on the thread doesn't shame OP, and staying in to comment anyway, is the internet equivalent of stepping in dog crap on the sidewalk, then getting down on the ground and rolling in it to complain about it further. Your advice was good, so was EVERY OTHER POSTER'S. (That I have read)
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you don't make time for wellness now, you will have to make time for sickness later. :flowerforyou:
    @megshirley8
    great quote.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My answer for both:

Just do it.

If you can't motivate yourself to "eat healthy" and get moving, then you don't want this as badly as you think you do.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do too much too fast. That alone is why so many people can't stick to their healthier diets or exercise regimens. Start implementing vegetables in to foods you enjoy one day at a time, and aim to add one new vegetable a week.

One easy thing to do, is to start eating your food (whatever it may be) on a bed of lettuce or spinach. Stews, chilis and casseroles are surprisingly delicious on greens, seriously! You can't really even taste them. Eventually, you'll be adding more and more vegetables to your plate and eating a salad will no longer seem so daunting. It takes a while for taste buds to adjust to different foods, so just keep faith. They will adjust, and you can start to enjoy the flavors of fresh and healthy food :)
  • Shaavo89
    Options
    I believe that the retaliatory remarks weren't exactly mature. I feel that if you look back through the thread, that no one said it was ok. They were giving advice on HOW to get used to veggies. That't what OP is here for, she directly asked for advice. People relating and saying "I used to feel the same way..." is NOT the same as saying "Well, it's ok if you don't get your s*** together now".
    [/quote]

They probably weren't you are right. Yes everyone else did give really good advise, this guy took stabs at a perfect stranger, not okay. I will listen to any bit of advice I am given besides "grow up" I don't think eating your veggies necessarily means you are an adult
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a local farmers market.. Fresh veggies are a million times better than frozen or canned (in my opinion anyway) so you might even like things you think you dont.

Fresh is great, and so are frozen. Part of the difficulty with eating vegetables is the time-consuming preparation. I keep frozen veggies around to add to eggs and other dishes without having to chop for 20 minutes. Check out the freezer section at the grocery store and see what is there.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Food is just fuel for my body. If it doesn't taste good so be it :)

That being said, it is a bonus if it does taste good, so experiment with different veggies and cooking styles and you will find a way to like them.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    At some point, our own health has to be important enough to force us to be willing to change, and I'm sorry but patting someone on the back and commiserating about hating vegetables doesn't exactly seem like a step in the right direction. It is much better to simply suck it up and start eating them. Hell, I love cookies, and cake, and ice cream, and blue cheese dressing. I also snack on carrots, celery, apples, melon, and spinach. Learning how to motivate ourself to eat right is part of growing up. And yes, I stand by the "grow up" comment. It seems a hell of a lot less rude than "jerk" in any event. I've learned not to expect much from these forums and it's why so many of my friends who have been very successful have stopped trying to help. The lazy and immature are not worth the effort and time, and the angry reactions only make it less so.

Lazy and immature?????? Who do you think you are!? Seriously! If your toddler came up to you and said hey I really don't like my vegetables.. any advise on how to enjoy them so I don't continue to not like them would you tell him/her to "Grow up"? Or would you say you know what lets cook them this way and hey you might like it! I'm not asking for pity about not liking veggies im asking for advice (clearly stated before, but maybe you are just rude and don't take in the whole picture) I am soooo far from lazy it isn't even funny! I bet people hate going to the gym around you because you are horribly negative! These are supposed to help people, support them not tear them down by being called lazy or immature! Or being told to grow up! You really should learn some manners! I don't need your "pat on the back" looking for friendly advise not some JERK telling me im a child, lazy and immature. It is absolutely rude to call a perfect stranger lazy and immature, you have no idea what I do, what my struggles are in life or anything for that matter! SO if you "don't expect much from these forums" maybe you should just keep your mouth shut unless you have something positive to say to someone!
    [/quote]

Yes, b/c I ask my toddlers permission when I want them to do something.....You're being overly sensative to what beach iron has to say. Some people coddle, some people give it to you straight. That's life. Get over it.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i hide vegetables in soups and chili, plus i put a lot of them in a blender and chug them....:drinker:
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You need to just eat them. Food can be the greatest medicine ever, and fruits and veggies are a huge part of that, you don't get to skip them!

Use seasonings, steam them, roast them, make them delicious! But in the end you may never be as attracted to vegetables as other things, but so long as they're on your plate in good amounts at every meal, you don't need to love them, you just need to eat them.

Opps don't know why this posted twice:grumble:
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You need to just eat them. Food can be the greatest medicine ever, and fruits and veggies are a huge part of that, you don't get to skip them!

Use seasonings, steam them, roast them, make them delicious! But in the end you may never be as attracted to vegetables as other things, but so long as they're on your plate in good amounts at every meal, you don't need to love them, you just need to eat them.

Lol i have to tell my kids this all the time, i really don't care if the don't like them. If i put them on there plate they are going to eat them. And if the keep complaining i'll make them tomorrow too:smile:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Stir fry.....ours are usually mainly veg

There's a roasted Moroccan Chicken and Roasted Vegetable recipe on epicurious (I usually add whatever veg we have and maybe some apples)

Vegetable based soups

Adding minced/shredded veg into a cheese filling for lasagna or stuffed shells (using sliced zucchini in place of noodles)

Using stuff like spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti noodles (we serve either spaghetti sauce or chili over it)

Meatloaf, mine is a modification of Alton Browns (has carrots, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, zucchini, onions, garlic in it)

Breakfast hash.....potatoes or sweet potatoes with peppers, zucchini, onion,
    Italian eggs.....zucchini and summer squash with red peppers and tomatoes and balsamic vinegar served over poached eggs and Parmesan cheese.....

Ratatouille (mmmmmmm, I need some eggplant)

Try different homemade salsas for serving with roasted meats

Mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower

Soooooo many ways to eat veg other than just steamed or in a salad.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Absolutely. "Not liking vegetables" sounds like a pouty five-year-old. We are programmed to prefer sweets and fats, so kids have to be helped through the picky-eating stage. As picky adults, our parents obviously failed so we have to get ourselves out of it -- and at least half of that is attitude. Everyone is entitled to certain likes and dislikes, but when you just cast a blanket "don't like it" over a whole class of foods, that's attitude! Look at those around you eating and enjoying vegetables. What do they know that you don't? For starts, they don't dismiss any group of foods as undesirable. If you cook them properly, with seasonings you enjoy, you will probably develop a taste for most, if not all vegetables (although you will find that you have preferences, and a few that you really just can't warm up to!). Failing that, you can be grown up and eat what's good for you, what makes you healthy, and what keeps you thin!

Pouty 5 year old? Seriously, I am asking for advise on how other people eat them so that I can enjoy them! Why is that so hard to understand. Because someone doesn't like something that you do then they aren't an adult??? How does that make sense! My son hates roller coasters but I love them... do I need to tell him to grow up because its what I do? Good god!
    [/quote]

Yes, b/c roller coasters and vegetables are on the same level
  • Shaavo89
    Options
    Yes, b/c I ask my toddlers permission when I want them to do something.....You're being overly sensative to what beach iron has to say. Some people coddle, some people give it to you straight. That's life. Get over it.
    [/quote]

Not when I want them to do something. My sons does everything I say and eats whatever I tell him to eat. If he said he didn't like something I would cook it differently to see if he liked it. I want him to enjoy simple things, like eating. Not be forced to eat food he hates and "grow up" to hate them like I do. Giving something to me straight like "just eat them! you have to!" totally fine! But grow up? It makes me less of an adult because I don't eat veggies.. I think not
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Fresh is great, and so are frozen. Part of the difficulty with eating vegetables is the time-consuming preparation. I keep frozen veggies around to add to eggs and other dishes without having to chop for 20 minutes. Check out the freezer section at the grocery store and see what is there.

That is true, I try to spend a couple of hours to prep them for the next few days to a week. Frozen veggies are good when youre short on time. They make ones that steam in the bag, you just throw them in the microwave. Those are my emergency veggies lol
  • Shaavo89
    Options
    Yes, b/c roller coasters and vegetables are on the same level
    [/quote]

Are you on here to give advice or tear people down??
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Lazy and immature?????? Who do you think you are!? Seriously! If your toddler came up to you and said hey I really don't like my vegetables.. any advise on how to enjoy them so I don't continue to not like them would you tell him/her to "Grow up"? Or would you say you know what lets cook them this way and hey you might like it! I'm not asking for pity about not liking veggies im asking for advice (clearly stated before, but maybe you are just rude and don't take in the whole picture) I am soooo far from lazy it isn't even funny! I bet people hate going to the gym around you because you are horribly negative! These are supposed to help people, support them not tear them down by being called lazy or immature! Or being told to grow up! You really should learn some manners! I don't need your "pat on the back" looking for friendly advise not some JERK telling me im a child, lazy and immature. It is absolutely rude to call a perfect stranger lazy and immature, you have no idea what I do, what my struggles are in life or anything for that matter! SO if you "don't expect much from these forums" maybe you should just keep your mouth shut unless you have something positive to say to someone!

Some people, even more so as toddlers, taste many vegetables as being intensely bitter. There's a lot to be said for working with people as they are, not giving in, and not running roughshod over their sensitivities.