I hate eating healthy....

Options

Replies

• Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/thenewvegetarian

I will eat my hat if you can't find something in that you like to eat from that...

Oh, and grow up. *runs away*

Perfect! Thank you! Don't eat your hat haha

Loooool - what if my hat is made of vegetables?

As for BeachIron - he is one my friends list and a great guy. He gives plenty of good advice.

I understand that his advice may have been a bit tart and not to your taste (see what I did there ;) but your OP could have been construed as a little petulant ("I will not eats ma veggies" *sticks out tongue and folds arms in defiance*)

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but sometimes tone is hard to convey online.

Keep asking your questions, stick around, enjoy the rough and tumble. You'll be golden ;)

I'm sure he is a nice person, I'm trying to eat my veggies! They just don't taste good to me. So far I've been given great advice on how to enjoy them! And that's exactly what I've been given :smile: But I don't like being called lazy AT ALL!! I work 65-70 hours per week (2 jobs) play with my son, im getting married in 6 weeks, still have a social life and time to work out. I'm so far from lazy it isn't even funny! If you have a veggie hat, eat away!! Maybe that's what I need... a hate made of veggies! haha
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/thenewvegetarian

I will eat my hat if you can't find something in that you like to eat from that...

Oh, and grow up. *runs away*

Perfect! Thank you! Don't eat your hat haha

Loooool - what if my hat is made of vegetables?

As for BeachIron - he is one my friends list and a great guy. He gives plenty of good advice.

I understand that his advice may have been a bit tart and not to your taste (see what I did there ;) but your OP could have been construed as a little petulant ("I will not eats ma veggies" *sticks out tongue and folds arms in defiance*)

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but sometimes tone is hard to convey online.

Keep asking your questions, stick around, enjoy the rough and tumble. You'll be golden ;)

Please don't get yourself wrapped up in this. My bluntness is there for a reason and not everyone realizes that sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do. Let them rage at me. If the OP doesn't get it, someone else will, and that's all that really matters.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Go ahead and blame my hormones if you'd like, but those of you who came here to shame OP and gave 0 advice are being absolute trolls.

She didn't even come close to saying "Tell me it's ok not to eat veggies"

She came for advice on how to do it because she knows she needs to.

Yes, she does need to suck it up and eat them. It's true. It's been done to death.

THIS is why posting on these forums sucks.

Remember, OP, that a ton of people posted recipes, as well as all of the people who, whether they could personally relate or not, gave good advice, whether it was delivered kindly or not.

Don't feed the trolls, and remember the ones that are trying to help. Lizziewhatever is being an instigator and knows it. She doesn't want you to do well, she wants you to be wrong. If you want to add someone, you can click on their username, or you can message them by using the dropdown arrow next to it. Don't let the ridiculousness keep you from posting if you have a question.

LOL thanks for giving me so much credit. That is an entirely fasle statement(s), I'm not an instigator (on purpose) and don't want her to fail. I just think some people are narrow minded and need to calm down. It's ok to "jump" down one person's throat b/c they didn't like what they have to say, but when somebody defends said person I'm being a terrible person?
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My toddler eats salads and vegetables. Grow up.

hahahahaha OMG that is what I was thinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    give up and eat fried chicken, ice cream, alfredo sauce, etc etc....
  • jacz83
    jacz83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like most things... listen to the wisdom of Nike. - "Just do it."
    You're not going to like everything.. but your body will thank you, and you will develop a taste for it.

Roasting is amazing, and brings out the natural sugars of any/all veggies. Seriously, toss with evoo, salt and pepper, (I always add garlic powder), 350 degrees or higher for about 20-30 min til they are browned slightly. SO GOOD!

Running.
    Get the right shoes
    Stretch!
    Start off with intervals.
    Pace yourself.
    For longer distances; I use Hal Higdon's training schedule when I run half marathons. I really liked them.

Hope some of this helped. You can do anything you put your mind to. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he is a nice person, I'm trying to eat my veggies! They just don't taste good to me. So far I've been given great advice on how to enjoy them! And that's exactly what I've been given :smile: But I don't like being called lazy AT ALL!! I work 65-70 hours per week (2 jobs) play with my son, im getting married in 6 weeks, still have a social life and time to work out. I'm so far from lazy it isn't even funny! If you have a veggie hat, eat away!! Maybe that's what I need... a hate made of veggies! haha

You sound like you have the right attitude ;)

The problem is that once you have been here a while you will notice that some people, sadly a rather large number, do not have the same. There is almost a bizarre sense of unrealistic self entitlement to being healthy and fat loss ("why do I need to eat fresh produce! You can't make me! What do you know guy you has been relatively lean and good looking for over 20 years! (I'm talking about me here obviously...)

It gets a bit tiresome but the bigger issue is that if those kind of attitudes do not get addressed then it can lead to bad advice being picked up by silent observers on the thread.
  • myofibril
    Options
    Please don't get yourself wrapped up in this.

Too late - I'm in and I'm not pulling out now...

Why does that sound rude?

And when have you ever known me to do what I'm asked? Seriously mate...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    At some point, our own health has to be important enough to force us to be willing to change, and I'm sorry but patting someone on the back and commiserating about hating vegetables doesn't exactly seem like a step in the right direction. It is much better to simply suck it up and start eating them. Hell, I love cookies, and cake, and ice cream, and blue cheese dressing. I also snack on carrots, celery, apples, melon, and spinach. Learning how to motivate ourself to eat right is part of growing up. And yes, I stand by the "grow up" comment. It seems a hell of a lot less rude than "jerk" in any event. I've learned not to expect much from these forums and it's why so many of my friends who have been very successful have stopped trying to help. The lazy and immature are not worth the effort and time, and the angry reactions only make it less so.

Lazy and immature?????? Who do you think you are!? Seriously! If your toddler came up to you and said hey I really don't like my vegetables.. any advise on how to enjoy them so I don't continue to not like them would you tell him/her to "Grow up"? Or would you say you know what lets cook them this way and hey you might like it! I'm not asking for pity about not liking veggies im asking for advice (clearly stated before, but maybe you are just rude and don't take in the whole picture) I am soooo far from lazy it isn't even funny! I bet people hate going to the gym around you because you are horribly negative! These are supposed to help people, support them not tear them down by being called lazy or immature! Or being told to grow up! You really should learn some manners! I don't need your "pat on the back" looking for friendly advise not some JERK telling me im a child, lazy and immature. It is absolutely rude to call a perfect stranger lazy and immature, you have no idea what I do, what my struggles are in life or anything for that matter! SO if you "don't expect much from these forums" maybe you should just keep your mouth shut unless you have something positive to say to someone!
    [/quote]

this temper tantrum is the equivalent to a four year old.....so it sounds like OP might learn to like veggies after all ...
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

[/quote]

That's what he said? Sorry couldn't resist :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh and this reeks of a troll thread...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Fair enough, bro. I appreciate your comments. I just predict that this thread is just going to continue down hill until even more personal attacks are thrown around and the moderators come in and delete the whole thing. Just seems to be the MO around here.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Not liking veggies is either a learned trait (growing up with not being introduced to them in palatable ways or not given them when refused as a child to grown age) or is usually related to texture/flavor that can be altered by different kinds of cooking and preparation.

Get inventive, try them in different ways and see how you like to eat them! I love using low sodium beef broth to flavor my veggies or I cook my veggies with my meat and sometimes add a little oil to give it some caramelization which caramelized potatoes and carrots with lightly buttered peas and a nice juicy sirloin steak... you just cannot go wrong with something like that lol.

C25K is a good start, if you having a runningroom clinic near you, you can also sign up for one of their 5K classes or learn to run classes. They are definitely worth while as they teach you properly and help to teach you proper pacing.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen veggies around to add to eggs and other dishes without having to chop for 20 minutes. Check out the freezer section at the grocery store and see what is there.
    Yes, I love frozen veggies particularly in winter. I’m addicted to those bags of frozen onions, mirepoix, etc…They’re great for tossing in soups, casseroles, beans, and anything in a crock pot 
    what kind of advice is "grow up"?? That's not advice!
    Grow up and just eat your veggies is advice. It’s not very hippy dippy love the world advice, it’s more in the tough love vein. Ignore it or embrace it, it’s up to you.
    And for the record, "not liking vegetables" isn't just being picky or acting like a baby.
    But…all vegetables aren’t bitter. Many of them are ridiculously sweet and they taste pretty wildly different. This is why I don’t understand generic ‘I hate veggies’ comments. Most people are going to hate one or two vegetables, but all of them? That’s why I just think you haven’t had them prepared in the way you like and more experimentation and different cooking techniques will probably get you there. Pinterest has a ton of easy recipes, if you use that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Fair enough, bro. I appreciate your comments. I just predict that this thread is just going to continue down hill until even more personal attacks are thrown around and the moderators come in and delete the whole thing. Just seems to be the MO around here.
    agree - this thread is destined for lock down...
  • myofibril
    Options

Yeah, probably.

Never a dull moment on MFP!
  • FlyNic71
    FlyNic71 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you've had a child and your hips & back (assume lower back?) hurt I would recommend you visit an osteopath. Sounds like SPD symptoms and they usually appear during -the last months/weeks- of pregnancy, but after giving birth your pelvis may not have fully relaxed back into it's usual position. You should probably talk to your GP about it, but in my experience if they manage to diagnose it at all, they only give you referral to physio and/or exercises that won't help much. I had SPD with my second child from 4 months pregnant. I walked on crutches at 7 months, then met an osteopath who treated me once and I walked out without crutches...

As for veg - stews may help or mash them with potatoes if you do like potatoes of course... :)
    I usually steam mine and put herbs & seasoning on them after. You can also vary the texture by the time you leave them to cook/steam, I vary it, sometimes 'al dente' with a little crunch or I cook them longer for a softer, more mushy texture.
    If you do like cauliflower, you could try adding some carrot and mash them together and increase carrot to cauliflower ratio until you get used to the carrot taste... Carrot and most other veg can also be eaten raw or juiced...
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I actually used to hate salads. I still don't want to eat them all the time. Something about lettuce...don't love it.

Anyways, after eating healthier over a long period of time, I found myself craving spinach salads. Still doesn't happen every day, but your tastes do change. The healthier and less greasy/salty things you put in your body, the more of that it seems to like.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    You sound like you have the right attitude ;)

The problem is that once you have been here a while you will notice that some people, sadly a rather large number, do not have the same. There is almost a bizarre sense of unrealistic self entitlement to being healthy and fat loss ("why do I need to eat fresh produce! You can't make me! What do you know guy you has been relatively lean and good looking for over 20 years! (I'm talking about me here obviously...)

It gets a bit tiresome but the bigger issue is that if those kind of attitudes do not get addressed then it can lead to bad advice being picked up by silent observers on the thread.
    [/quote]

I just wanted friendly advice ya know. Not grow up, excuse me while I jump on the grow up train, be back in a few! I mean I will eat them, I don't like them but I will! Just wanted to know how to get past the awful taste of them! As for Beachiron: Dude why not say it nicer? Or put its a part of growing up we have to do it! Not grow up! I mean how do you not see that as slightly rude? I myself am pretty blunt as well but I personally wouldn't say that to a perfect stranger, to each his own. So sorry for calling you a jerk.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Hot Sauce. It makes anything taste great.