I hate eating healthy....

Options

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have found seasoning and putting them into foods will get me eating the veggies I do NOT care for.

Lemon Pepper is great, so is salad supreme... both of these add a nice little zing!

I love olive oil and fresh garlic, another great way to give the veggies a little zing!

Stir fries with a little chicken or beef and brown rice.... yum!

As for salads, try adding fruits to your salads and see fi that helps, I love the sweet and salty when I do that.

Good luck finding ways to help!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies do nothing for me either, but I love them grilled or roasted. Grilled asparagus, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower are all yummy and super easy to prepare. I just put them on skewers give them a quick spray of pam (sometimes garlic flavored) then throw them on the grill. Or you can put them in the oven and roast em. Personally I like grilled the most but both are yummy.

I also use cauliflower to make a healthier version of mashed potatoes
    Healthier Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ingredients
    • 1 pounds red new potatoes with skin, quartered
    • 1 head of large cauliflower or about 1 pound, stem removed
    • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
    • 1/2 tablespoon salt
    • 1/2 cup lite sour cream
    • 1/2 cup milk, 1%
    • few cracks from a peppermill
    • Optional toppings: 3 scallions chopped, pat of butter
    Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil potatoes for 10 minutes. Add in cauliflower and continue to boil for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain ( 5 minutes or so) and mash vegetables by hand or use food processor and pulse until desired consistency. Transfer to a large serving bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Top with scallions and a tablespoon of butter.

Zucchini Chips ( we grow zucchini in our garden so we have zucchini several times a week during the growing season)

INGREDIENTS: 1 large zucchini
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    Kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17″ baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used
    2. After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it’ll cook a bit faster.
    3. Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    4. Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it’s better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it’ll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    5. Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren’t soggy and are crisp.Let cool before removing and serving.Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Green Curry Chicken and Veggies
    Veggies can be anything you have on hand. I use onions, fresh mushrooms, celery, red bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower

Spray skillet or wok with pam (garlic flavored is yummy)
    Add two skinned, boneless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces) and veggies of your choice,

When chicken is almost done add one 14 oz. can coconut lite milk with 1 - 2 tbs. green curry paste for 5 minutes (more if you like spicy), 2 tbs. fish sauce and brown sugar blend

Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add 1 cube basil (this I find frozen at Trader Joe's but you can use fresh also)

Serve over rice.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Steamed veggies do nothing for me either, but I love them grilled or roasted. Grilled asparagus, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower are all yummy and super easy to prepare. I just put them on skewers give them a quick spray of pam (sometimes garlic flavored) then throw them on the grill. Or you can put them in the oven and roast em. Personally I like grilled the most but both are yummy.

I also use cauliflower to make a healthier version of mashed potatoes
    Healthier Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ingredients
    • 1 pounds red new potatoes with skin, quartered
    • 1 head of large cauliflower or about 1 pound, stem removed
    • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
    • 1/2 tablespoon salt
    • 1/2 cup lite sour cream
    • 1/2 cup milk, 1%
    • few cracks from a peppermill
    • Optional toppings: 3 scallions chopped, pat of butter
    Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil potatoes for 10 minutes. Add in cauliflower and continue to boil for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain ( 5 minutes or so) and mash vegetables by hand or use food processor and pulse until desired consistency. Transfer to a large serving bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Top with scallions and a tablespoon of butter.

Zucchini Chips ( we grow zucchini in our garden so we have zucchini several times a week during the growing season)

INGREDIENTS: 1 large zucchini
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    Kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17″ baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used
    2. After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it’ll cook a bit faster.
    3. Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    4. Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it’s better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it’ll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    5. Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren’t soggy and are crisp.Let cool before removing and serving.Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Green Curry Chicken and Veggies
    Veggies can be anything you have on hand. I use onions, fresh mushrooms, celery, red bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower

Spray skillet or wok with pam (garlic flavored is yummy)
    Add two skinned, boneless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces) and veggies of your choice,

When chicken is almost done add one 14 oz. can coconut lite milk with 1 - 2 tbs. green curry paste for 5 minutes (more if you like spicy), 2 tbs. fish sauce and brown sugar blend

Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add 1 cube basil (this I find frozen at Trader Joe's but you can use fresh also)

Serve over rice.

Awesome!!! I will try that thanks!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why do we eat? Because it tastes good? Because it provides nutrients to the body? Sometimes you can have both, of course. But my point is this...

When being physically fit is a priority for you, then eating healthy will come naturally.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Season, cheese, juicing.... all ways to get those veggies in. Also, putting peppers etc in your spaghetti sauce is a good way too.

As for running.... I am getting ready to do my first ever 5K this Saturday. I LOVE RUNNING. What I do is 1) get good uplifting music on my iphone 2) good shoes 3) make mini goals for myself. I run in my neighborhood so when I was starting out I would say "ok run to the green house" and when I got there if I could keep going i'd say "ok run to that tree" and if you need to take a break do it but only a short one... like 1/2 a song. Eventually you'll be able to run the whole thing without stopping. I also have the runmeter app on my iphone so it tells me how far i've run and my pace - I try to beat my best time which is also motivating.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Roast your vegetables! Delicious and easy. I love roasted cauliflower seasoned with curry.

Look up recipes online for different veggies and give them a try - zucchini and summer squash are both really mild in flavor. Sweet potatoes are totally yummy - I just season mine with a little sea salt before eating. Eventually you can branch out. Try a new veggie every week - see what looks good at the store and try it.

Soups, stews and sauces can have TONS of veggies in them. If you puree a soup after cooking, you won't even know that you are eating veggies. It's a good way to ease yourself in.

As others have said though, you just have to do it.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Marinate your vegetables in your favorite spices, stick them on a skewer, and GRILLLLLLLLL them. I HATE salads too, but I love vegetable smoothies, veggie heavy soups because then they taste like broth, and I really love grilled vegetables.

And now I'm hungry.

I also try and pick out a new vegetable that my husband and I havent tried each time I go grocery shopping. We have found that we HATE turnips but actually like roasted brussel sprouts.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    And the quote about eating something fifteen times and you will start to like it is TOTALLY true. I used to absolutely hate spinach and bell peppers but I've managed to convince myself I like them. Now I even crave them. Currently working on mushrooms- it turns out that I enjoy grilled mushrooms, so I;m going to keep eating them until I like them other ways.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, Beachiron, it may be wise to consider that many people grow up low income, and when you do, you don't eat fresh veggies, probably not even frozen. Until I had a decent, grown-up income of my own in high school, I don't believe I'd ever tasted anything other than canned corn or canned green beans (as far as veggies go). I wanted to like veggies, and I was an athlete, so it was extra important to me. It takes an adjustment period. Your advice is spot on, but it is more likely to make someone feel inferior for asking advice than to actually help them. I agree with you, but a large part of the problem with obesity in our country stems from the cost of fresh food being so much more than canned/processed. Take a dollar to the supermarket and see how many calories you can get in junk food, then see how many you can get in the produce aisle. It's not impossible to be healthy on a tight budget by any means, but odds are stacked against some people.

At some point, our own health has to be important enough to force us to be willing to change, and I'm sorry but patting someone on the back and commiserating about hating vegetables doesn't exactly seem like a step in the right direction. It is much better to simply suck it up and start eating them. Hell, I love cookies, and cake, and ice cream, and blue cheese dressing. I also snack on carrots, celery, apples, melon, and spinach. Learning how to motivate ourself to eat right is part of growing up. And yes, I stand by the "grow up" comment. It seems a hell of a lot less rude than "jerk" in any event. I've learned not to expect much from these forums and it's why so many of my friends who have been very successful have stopped trying to help. The lazy and immature are not worth the effort and time, and the angry reactions only make it less so.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    OP, You're doing it wrong. Get a cookbook...there's like a million vegetables out there and a million different ways to cook them. You don't need to sit and munch on raw veggies all of the time. Personally, I like most of my veggies sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic..I also like roasted. I have an actual raw salad maybe twice per week.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You need to just eat them. Food can be the greatest medicine ever, and fruits and veggies are a huge part of that, you don't get to skip them!

Use seasonings, steam them, roast them, make them delicious! But in the end you may never be as attracted to vegetables as other things, but so long as they're on your plate in good amounts at every meal, you don't need to love them, you just need to eat them.

Absolutely. "Not liking vegetables" sounds like a pouty five-year-old. We are programmed to prefer sweets and fats, so kids have to be helped through the picky-eating stage. As picky adults, our parents obviously failed so we have to get ourselves out of it -- and at least half of that is attitude. Everyone is entitled to certain likes and dislikes, but when you just cast a blanket "don't like it" over a whole class of foods, that's attitude! Look at those around you eating and enjoying vegetables. What do they know that you don't? For starts, they don't dismiss any group of foods as undesirable. If you cook them properly, with seasonings you enjoy, you will probably develop a taste for most, if not all vegetables (although you will find that you have preferences, and a few that you really just can't warm up to!). Failing that, you can be grown up and eat what's good for you, what makes you healthy, and what keeps you thin!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people that don't necessarily like vegetables.. at least not at first, hell I used to be one of them. I also used to love to eat fried wings and cheese covered nachos but as you change your eating habits, you'll notice that your tastes will change too. You have to experiment and find new things, you may like things you've never tried before. Its odd to me that now I enjoy eating vegetables and salad and things I would normally not reach for. It may take some getting used to and you may really hate some things you try but the most important things are often the most difficult. Keep at it and you'll eventually you will find things you enjoy :smile:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My toddler eats salads and vegetables. Grow up.

Pretty much this. There a lot of things I don't like or want to do, but do anyways. It's called being an adult.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

At some point, our own health has to be important enough to force us to be willing to change, and I'm sorry but patting someone on the back and commiserating about hating vegetables doesn't exactly seem like a step in the right direction. It is much better to simply suck it up and start eating them. Hell, I love cookies, and cake, and ice cream, and blue cheese dressing. I also snack on carrots, celery, apples, melon, and spinach. Learning how to motivate ourself to eat right is part of growing up. And yes, I stand by the "grow up" comment. It seems a hell of a lot less rude than "jerk" in any event. I've learned not to expect much from these forums and it's why so many of my friends who have been very successful have stopped trying to help. The lazy and immature are not worth the effort and time, and the angry reactions only make it less so.
    [/quote]

I definitely do not disagree with your overall sentiment - at some point, you just need to choke down some vegetables. But assuming someone is lazy and immature because they're seeking help trying to figure this out seems harsh. If you don't want to provide helpful comments, then why come on the forums?

ETA: The first paragraph was supposed to show up as a quote...not sure why it isn't!
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you don't like tomatoes, don't eat them! I HAAAAATED them as a kid, nearly threw up if I had a raw one, and came to a marginal acceptance of them in my late teen years. If they're raw, I like them chopped as small as possible and seeds GONE, but I can handle them in a sandwich or burger if there's a bunch of other stuff on it. It's just a texture thing. Bleh, tomatoes.

Also, if you don't like salads, don't eat them! Or try different lettuces. I loathe iceberg lettuce. But romaine hearts taste good to me. Butter lettuce is yummy too. I also like the spring salad mixes. Still, I only eat salad about once or twice a month, if that. Sometimes I just don't want it.

Roasting veggies makes them taste delicious. Like other have said, just toss with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic if you like, then throw in a hot oven and wait until they reach the desired doneness. Pretty much everything I've done like this is amazing.

Oh one last thing - for a long time I thought I hated green beans. When we had them for dinner I would always try to eat them first quickly to get it over with. Then I had green beans in a stir fry, and I was like "Whoa, THIS is what they taste like?!" My mum never bought fresh ones (I don't know why, we had tons of other fresh veggies), so I thought they all tasted like canned. Not so!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Count me in on the fresh green beans train. Thought I only liked them in casserole until I realized that they taste completely different when they haven't been canned and cooked for a thousand years.

Ditto asparagus. My parents used to buy canned asparagus for a treat and I hated it, but fresh asparagus roasted is awesome.

Seriously, roasting is magic if you haven't tried it. it's something about the carmelization...
    If your toddler came up to you and said hey I really don't like my vegetables.. any advise on how to enjoy them so I don't continue to not like them would you tell him/her to "Grow up"?
    I'd probably tell them to eat a bite anyway. I think you're getting a wee bit defensive. Don't take it so seriously.

When my nephews tell me they want something to drink and I give them water sometimes they'll say no I want juice and throw a little fit when I don't give it to them. I ignore it and eventually they just drink the water. Kids are fun.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Lazy and immature?????? Who do you think you are!? Seriously! If your toddler came up to you and said hey I really don't like my vegetables.. any advise on how to enjoy them so I don't continue to not like them would you tell him/her to "Grow up"? Or would you say you know what lets cook them this way and hey you might like it! I'm not asking for pity about not liking veggies im asking for advice (clearly stated before, but maybe you are just rude and don't take in the whole picture) I am soooo far from lazy it isn't even funny! I bet people hate going to the gym around you because you are horribly negative! These are supposed to help people, support them not tear them down by being called lazy or immature! Or being told to grow up! You really should learn some manners! I don't need your "pat on the back" looking for friendly advise not some JERK telling me im a child, lazy and immature. It is absolutely rude to call a perfect stranger lazy and immature, you have no idea what I do, what my struggles are in life or anything for that matter! SO if you "don't expect much from these forums" maybe you should just keep your mouth shut unless you have something positive to say to someone!

Oh good. Yea, you can get off the floor now, the temper tantrum is a bit much. I'm out. Best of luck with the icky vegetables.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Found another stand by that I cook for my family

Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

This is also good with onions and fresh mushrooms added to the recipe. You could also try carrots and cauliflower. Also after experimenting you may find you don't need as much oil as I have.

1. Heat the oven to 425.
    2. On a large cookie sheet, toss together 2 pounds of broccoli cut up into florets (but not teensy tiny florets, I like a little stem attached), 2 Tbs olive oil (sesame oil is yummy), 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds (or 1/2 tsp. ground), 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds (or 1/2 tsp. ground), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/8th tsp hot chili powder. Spread into a single layer and pop into the oven for 10 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, toss together one pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined, with 2 Tbs olive oil, lemon zest from one lemon, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (I just eyeball the salt and pepper) in a bowl. When the broccoli’s been in the oven 10 minutes, add the shrimp to the broccoli and toss (carefully.)

3. Roast another 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the broccoli is “tender and golden around the edges.”

And that’s your dinner!
    I served it in a big bowl of rice and squeezed some lemon on top. It was a big hit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my clients:

"You gotta hate being fat, more than hating the food you eat". You could try the clothes pin method.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Add meat to your vegetables. Asian salads with beef, chicken or pork, and light, spicy, (and nonfat!) dressings, work well for me. So does salade nicoise with tuna and hard boiled egg. Salad can be lettuce, but it could also be shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, steamed broccoli, or cucumber.

Soup is a good way to get veggies. A half cup of salsa eaten on anything you like salsa on, is a serving of vegetables. I have it scrambled eggs with beans, meat, and a corn tortilla, often with another half cup of peppers or tomato thrown in.