21 day detox of meat

Options

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Saturday as in 3-4 days ago?

Give it more time :smiley:

Did you replace 200 cal of meat with 500 cal of fruit and veg?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This thread gives me the sad.

Oh well, more meat for me!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe, yet easy to believe at the same time, that people such as OP's trainer can influence a person's health decisions.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat in 18 years, and I'm fat, so....
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe, yet easy to believe at the same time, that people such as OP's trainer can influence a person's health decisions.

Yup. I'm surprised people are willing to make such dramatic changes as well. I mean, if someone told me to cut the meat out of my diet or I might die, my response would be, "But, bacon..."
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Yup. I'm surprised people are willing to make such dramatic changes as well. I mean, if someone told me to cut the meat out of my diet or I might die, my response would be, "But, bacon..."

You rang?

ft58okwzx99u.gif

• caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with everyone else. I'm a vegetarian for ethical/environmental reasons but it isn't necessarily healthier and definitely won't make you lose weight instantly. If you want to eat leaner protein and more vegetables than go for it but going vegetarian won't make you automatically lose weight. Toxins has become such a meaningless word imo. Meat isn't toxic. Besides I don't think vegetarianism is right for everyone. Eating adequate protein is important for weight loss and most new vegetarians don't get enough protein and eat too many carbs.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan but this is ridiculous...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP---go to your trainer for the next session; give him a pearl and steak, two pearls on a string with chicken, and 3 pearls on a string with Five Guys. Once he consumes the food and the pearls ask him to watch for which group pops out first. Next day, call him and fire him. Seriously, 4 days for the chicken?

Brilliant.
    7a4no01bkr7c.gif
    woo hoo! !! !!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days.
    Why did he tell you to do this?
    Exactly what "toxins" does he think you need to remove from your body?
    How is abstaining from meat supposed to do that?
    Why aren't your liver, colon, kidneys, lungs, & skin doing their job of removing real toxins?
    Are you supposed to give up all animal flesh, or only from land animals, or what are the rules?
    Why?
    What are his nutritional credentials?
    What body is his personal trainer certification through?
    Does his trainer certification include nutritional counseling, or should his certifying body be made aware that he's
    operating outside the scope of his practice?
    Did he explain that in order to maintain muscle mass you need to eat protein?
    Did he explain plant sources of protein, and how much more of those you'll have to eat to get the same protein?

As has been said before, ditch the trainer.
    If he's that stupidsauce (love the term!) about one thing, how can you trust his advice on anything?
    (And anyone who uses the term "detox" who is not a medical professional talking about a patient who is in the
    ICU with severe poisoning is a moron and doesn't deserve to have their opinion given any consideration.)

Here's where you can search for people in your area who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm

And here's a great place to search for scientific studies about anything health-related.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
    This part of their site even focuses on clinical effectiveness!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/

I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday.
    I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference.
    Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?
    1 - You have 20 lb to lose. That's going to go slowly. 0.5 lb per week would be huge.
    If you're already at a healthy weight (and your picture looks fine), any weight loss is going to be even slower.
    2 - Walking 5 miles in 2 days isn't going to make any difference.
    3 - You're unlikely to see any weight loss in 2 days, esp. with so little to lose.

just because you stop eating meat doesn't mean you're going to lose weight
    Very true.
    I know a gal who's vegetarian (not sure if vegan), and has raised her girls the same, and they're all very fat.
    Morbidly obese, even the children.
    Her husband eats meat, and he's fat too.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That trainer is very badly informed about nutrition. And @shell1005, stupidsauce is my new favorite word.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP---go to your trainer for the next session; give him a pearl and steak, two pearls on a string with chicken, and 3 pearls on a string with Five Guys. Once he consumes the food and the pearls ask him to watch for which group pops out first. Next day, call him and fire him. Seriously, 4 days for the chicken?

I LOVE THIS!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The trainer said to DETOX giving up meat would do this. No he did not review what I had been eating. I am not rushing the weight loss, I just thought I would see a difference. I'm not hungry however, trying to figure out something to eat with no meat is not easy when I LOVE chicken. I could eat that everyday, I even asked him what about bake chicken or fish. His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)

Fire him immediately, he has no clue what he's talking about.

cosign
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    All this is a reminder that any ding dong can call himself a "personal trainer."
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly starting to think that the trainer is one of the whack-a-doodle veg'ns, and is saying this as propaganda to get you to stop eating meat all together. It may be a stretch, but I wouldn't rule it all the way out... I have never heard of a professional trainer advising this.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was a 21 day box of meat. I could get behind that.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.

Just starting reading this thread, but this really stood out to me was it sounds like Do you have any sources to support that information? Or did you hear it through the grape vine?

Eta: spelling- that autocorrect just doesn't want to behave lol.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been reading this with much interest. About a year ago i watched a series on TV (BBC I think) about different diets around the world and another about how we process food and the speed it goes through.

The cultures that ate very little meat 'dispatched' their waste 3 times a day which was a lot faster and more frequent than heavy meat eaters.

The other programme did a simple test where people swallowed a camera and and watched to see how fast it appeared out the other end. For those that ate more meat and less veggies the time taken for the camera /pill took a lot longer to come out.

It was interesting - maybe you can find them on the web? I have no ideas of titles sorry.