21 day detox of meat

Options
12346»

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    I've been reading this with much interest. About a year ago i watched a series on TV (BBC I think) about different diets around the world and another about how we process food and the speed it goes through.

The cultures that ate very little meat 'dispatched' their waste 3 times a day which was a lot faster and more frequent than heavy meat eaters.

The other programme did a simple test where people swallowed a camera and and watched to see how fast it appeared out the other end. For those that ate more meat and less veggies the time taken for the camera /pill took a lot longer to come out.

It was interesting - maybe you can find them on the web? I have no ideas of titles sorry.

That sounds a lot like a lack of dietary fiber to me, which would be a sign of a poor diet, not a direct consequence of the meat itself.

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh indeed, they thought (this is all by memory so I could be wrong) that it was actually a combo of both
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and overweight, so I think his/her theory is wrong :P
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Detox = Run away

Unless you have been exposed to uranium at work at the power plant with Homer Simpson....

Chances are a detox is not required.

There are food choices we all make, but just because my diet strategy is moderate carb I don't need a carb detox.

That sort of extreme thinking seems flawed to me.

Meat is fine for most in proper caloric amounts.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Detox = Run away

Unless you have been exposed to uranium at work at the power plant with Homer Simpson....

Chances are a detox is not required.

Hahaha :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are people who have good reasons for switching from a diet of meat to a plant-based (vegetarian diet).
    Being told to spend 21 days detoxing is Not A Good Reason. The trainer is not qualified to give food advice.
    ---
    I am a vegetarian off and on. This is more or less what vegetarians eat: pinto beans, lentils, cheese, nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, chic peas, sunflower seeds, green peas, pumpkin seeds, tofu, soy milk, corn.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should demand a refund and then use the money you spent on his stupid advice to go and buy a hamburger with bacon served with a side of chicken tenders. Make sure you log it though.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This thread gives me the sad.

Oh well, more meat for me!

yes, yes, more meat for me!

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.
    PLEASE MAKE SURE if you're going vegan on a caloric deficit that you are HYPER VIGILANT about your nutrients. Learn from my fail. Four surgeries, 3 plates, a bazillion screws, young onset of osteoporosis, anemia, hypoglycemia, recurrent frostbite, unable to donate blood.... I've spent 4 years trying to undo the damage I did. If you're doing this solely for health, I think you should reconsider weighing the potential benefits vs. potential harm.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    I've been reading this with much interest. About a year ago i watched a series on TV (BBC I think) about different diets around the world and another about how we process food and the speed it goes through.

The cultures that ate very little meat 'dispatched' their waste 3 times a day which was a lot faster and more frequent than heavy meat eaters.

The other programme did a simple test where people swallowed a camera and and watched to see how fast it appeared out the other end. For those that ate more meat and less veggies the time taken for the camera /pill took a lot longer to come out.

It was interesting - maybe you can find them on the web? I have no ideas of titles sorry.

That sounds a lot like a lack of dietary fiber to me, which would be a sign of a poor diet, not a direct consequence of the meat itself.

Exactamundo.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

Yup, "meat = toxic" is sexier than "eat more fiber" so that's the message the media is inclined to put out.

(That was a general reference, not in reply to Furbuster's post.)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.
    PLEASE MAKE SURE if you're going vegan on a caloric deficit that you are HYPER VIGILANT about your nutrients. Learn from my fail. Four surgeries, 3 plates, a bazillion screws, young onset of osteoporosis, anemia, hypoglycemia, recurrent frostbite, unable to donate blood.... I've spent 4 years trying to undo the damage I did. If you're doing this solely for health, I think you should reconsider weighing the potential benefits vs. potential harm.

I'm realllllly curious how being a vegan gave you recurring frostbite lol... Since that has to do with being outside in freezing temperatures and nothing to do with what you eat lol. Sounds sensationalist to me. Being vegetarian or vegan if you put even some thought into your diet, which I acknowledge most people don't, is perfectly healthy. Most people are too lazy or only eat crap and give the rest of it a bad name. If you don't consider your diet regardless of what is it, you will end up with issues. Meat isn't a magical multivitamin that cures all problems. Or the same problems that surround vegetarians and vegans wouldn't also happen to people who eat meat. It's about thinking about your diet and choosing to eat a nutritionally sound one.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    if you put even some thought into your diet

^^this is what I'm saying. (Please note I loved being vegan, and ANY diet can contribute to nutrient problems. Being vegan didn't "cause" my osteoporosis, either, but it contributed.)
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Dear god. I am more qualified to be a professional Jai Alai player than this person is to be a personal trainer. And I don't know how to play Jai Alai.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is OP ever going to come back? I want to know if she had a talkin' to with her "trainer."