Obese people telling me what's unhealthy...

Options
12346»

Replies

• Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is my sister-in-law. When I told her I was making a life change to feel better, I got "Well, good luck with that."

That's okay. 3 months later her blood work came back borderline diabetic and she HAD to make the same life change I decided to make without a doctor on my butt.

I'm very happy she has lost weight and they have taken her off all her meds, but we don't talk anymore. Guess it's part about the life change I made. I have no room for that kind of negative person in my life.

Karma will straighten them all out.

Do you! The rest can suck it!!! :drinker:
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So, what you are saying is that because she is obese, her knowledge is not credible?

Professional athletes take advice from unfit or obese people all the time!

I guess my point is, if it's good advice, or credible information, it shouldn't matter who it's coming from if that person is credible!

If it mattered, I wouldn't read these forums, because half the information comes from overweight or obese people!

Just because you're on a fitness journey doesnt' make you better!
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    Chill out bro, people give unasked for advice all the time. Smile, nod, and move on.

This ^^ It's not only obese people. EVERYONE feels like they're entitled to their opinion when you change your lifestyle. This happens to me ALL the time, from skinny (non-fit) and overweight people.
  • destinydreams
    destinydreams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hm well I am a slightly overweight girl and I once gave advice to one of my close friends. I would dare say that our fitness level are on par (from physical activities in school and such) and I was doing it to help her get back on track because I know how much she wants to look like those skinny *kitten* models. Thing is, she looks perfectly fine and she has awesome curves and her weight is in the lower end of the healthy range. What I gave advice on? She was eating too little everyday (about 500cals net) and her goal calories was set to 900 on MFP. I was really worried about her as she has always been under-eating and starving herself, then after one or two months she'll get into that really crappy mood and start stuffing herself with food and that's when she'll gain back the weight she lost through starving, sometimes even more. I know it's not healthy so I told her to eat a little more and to set her goal higher as I did not want her metabolism to go down really low. However, she keeps insisting that that's the way her diet works and that her body is "special" and "different from everybody else" - that she only lose weight if she starve herself. She claims that she's not losing weight when she's eating around 1000cals (how do you lose any if your metabolism is so low?!) that's why she's eating way lesser than that. I just hope that she has returned to eating healthily now.

Well anyway, sorry for digressing but what I'm trying to say is that in my case, i was not as healthy looking as my friend but I still gave her advice because I didn't want her to get out of track and cause harm to her body, since I know how much she wants to lose weight, I want her to lose it the healthy way. Perhaps your lady friend was trying to remind you that you should not be eating poutine as she knows that you're on a clean eating diet and she wants to remind you not to stray too much. Maybe she didn't know that you're only giving yourself a treat because she expected that you would be really strict on yourself - clean eating all the way. Take her words with a pinch of salt but don't shrug it off completely. Remember, she's just trying to help you. She may be so happy for you that you got your results and admire you for your determination that she wants you to continue it that way! (:
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If I knew how to post gifs, I'd post one of that boss from 'Office Space' and his responses to conversations, which is pretty much what I do when faced with stuff like this:

"Avocados are bad for you because they're high in fat..."

"Yeahhhhhhhh, mmmmmmmmm..............." [walks away]
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Anyway, today at lunch, while I ate my vegetables, I said to one of my co-workers "I had a poutine this weekend for the first time this year!". And she said "well you should watch cause those are full of fat and it's not good for you"!!!! This coming from a person who is very obese with no intentions of changing it, who has no problem eating junk food every day!

See, I don't handle that sort of thing very well, so my advice would be bad advice...

I'd adopt a shocked look, and drop my fork on the table.

"POUTINE IS HIGH IN FAT?! OH MY GOD! REALLY? I'M GOING TO BE SICK!"

Then I'd stop, pick up my fork and say "I've lost 75 pounds. Could I get you another soda or a bag of chips?"

I'm guilty of this too whether they be obese/skinny/fit/unfit. I'll say something along the lines of " OH MY GOD I HAVE NO IDEA!! WHY DIDN'T THE FOOD POLICE TELL ME?!?!?!...but no really, I've lost nearly a 100 pounds and kept it off. I think I know what I'm doing. I don't jusge you so please don't judge me. kthanksbye."
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Its not just obese people. I get really annoyed with people who aren't really that overweight but still really out of shape telling me what I need to do.

Sometimes it's my fault though, because I think about fitness and talk about it alot, people think that its okay. I had been stalling out for a while and was really discouraged about it and told a friend. Now she's constantly giving me advice thats no good. She recently told me about this stuff that you spray under your tounge..... um.... okay. Thanks.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Experience teaches us that there are people who cannot filter what they say. From reading your post, it sounds as if this unusual for her to be critical? Perhaps she is truly was just trying to be helpful and wants you to succeed and yet it just came out wrong/awkward? Give her another chance.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this too whether they be obese/skinny/fit/unfit. I'll say something along the lines of " OH MY GOD I HAVE NO IDEA!! WHY DIDN'T THE FOOD POLICE TELL ME?!?!?!...but no really, I've lost nearly a 100 pounds and kept it off. I think I know what I'm doing. I don't jusge you so please don't judge me. kthanksbye."

I mean, if they were delivering some actual surprising information like... raw broccoli is 87% saturated fat or something, and presented actual data on it... Delivering the news that fries, gravy, and cheese are high in fat is like saying "HEY! DID YOU KNOW THE SKY IS BLUE!?"
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Hm well I am a slightly overweight girl and I once gave advice to one of my close friends. I would dare say that our fitness level are on par (from physical activities in school and such) and I was doing it to help her get back on track because I know how much she wants to look like those skinny *kitten* models. Thing is, she looks perfectly fine and she has awesome curves and her weight is in the lower end of the healthy range. What I gave advice on? She was eating too little everyday (about 500cals net) and her goal calories was set to 900 on MFP. I was really worried about her as she has always been under-eating and starving herself, then after one or two months she'll get into that really crappy mood and start stuffing herself with food and that's when she'll gain back the weight she lost through starving, sometimes even more. I know it's not healthy so I told her to eat a little more and to set her goal higher as I did not want her metabolism to go down really low. However, she keeps insisting that that's the way her diet works and that her body is "special" and "different from everybody else" - that she only lose weight if she starve herself. She claims that she's not losing weight when she's eating around 1000cals (how do you lose any if your metabolism is so low?!) that's why she's eating way lesser than that. I just hope that she has returned to eating healthily now.

Well anyway, sorry for digressing but what I'm trying to say is that in my case, i was not as healthy looking as my friend but I still gave her advice because I didn't want her to get out of track and cause harm to her body, since I know how much she wants to lose weight, I want her to lose it the healthy way. Perhaps your lady friend was trying to remind you that you should not be eating poutine as she knows that you're on a clean eating diet and she wants to remind you not to stray too much. Maybe she didn't know that you're only giving yourself a treat because she expected that you would be really strict on yourself - clean eating all the way. Take her words with a pinch of salt but don't shrug it off completely. Remember, she's just trying to help you. She may be so happy for you that you got your results and admire you for your determination that she wants you to continue it that way! (:

Thats 2 completely different things. How can you compare starving yourself with someone indulging in a treat? EVERY time we eat something "bad" should we hide or feel shame? Indulging in a treat every now and then, or even weekly is not "straying" or getting off track. In fact, its a way to stay on track.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had co-workers shocked when they saw me put half and half into my coffee. You'd think I was eating lard on a stick for breakfast. It is 20 calories for one tbs to enjoy my coffee properly. I don't even think of it as a "treat".

I think a lot of people do think that it is eating fat that makes you fat. Though most people probably got fat on surplus calories from processed simple carbs and sugar. And sure, too much saturated fat is not good for you. But those of us who learned moderation can partake :)))))
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe, you could point out to your co-worker that, unlike her, you don't have a huge amount of excess bodyfat to digest for energy. Therefore, you need to obtain your energy from real food.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify a few things because I guess I didn`t express myself well. I know she didn't mean to hurt/offend me... I know she's a great lady and has good intentions. And I don't think her advice wasn't credible because of her weight. I just thought, that being obese herself... she would have been more sensitive to the issue. I'm certainly not mad at her for her comment, it just bothered me a bit at the time and I just wanted to let out a little frustration. I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way with my post... It wasn't my intention...
  • xinit0
    Options
    I had co-workers shocked when they saw me put half and half into my coffee. You'd think I was eating lard on a stick for breakfast. It is 20 calories for one tbs to enjoy my coffee properly. I don't even think of it as a "treat".

How many of those people were getting whipped drinks with whipped cream on top and flavoured syrup? I'd use regular sugar in my coffee, but I go with the yellow (Splenda?) packets because it dissolves immediately and I don't need to do more the swirl the coffee a bit. Plus, it also dissolves in iced drinks...
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Omg i would kill to try some poutine! Never had it but it sounds like heaven on a plate lol
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Just because a person is obese doesn't mean that person doesn't know a lot about food and nutrition. I am very well informed in these subjects; I just haven't been able to apply all I know. I'm not the type to offer unasked-for advice, though.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Poutine.... food of the Gods!

I get advice from overweight people all the time. Like a previous poster said if you're eating healthy you should "live a little" if you're eating crappy you should "watch out for x, y or z". Just keep on keeping on because people love to think they're solving other people's problems... it helps them to ignore their own. Next year, when you're in way better shape and they're the same you won't have to say a word. trust.
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    People crack me up.

A few weeks ago, a woman I work with (who is also overweight) commented on how fattening eating half an avocado on my salad was.. and those kidney beans.. well they have so many carbs!

.......wait for it....... the best part of this story isn't that I've lost 25 lbs. already.. it's that she was eating a Snickers bar and a bag of chips for her lunch. Washed it down with a Mountain Dew. No joke!

I just smiled.
  • xinit0
    Options
    This is not me, I don't know this person, and I have nothing to gain by posting this link... but for those of you in foreign lands without access to proper curds or gravy for making poutine, you can order a do-it-yourself kit to make the proper sort of cheese.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82622570/poutine-kit-make-your-own-cheese-curds