having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think slamming is wrong even if the slammer has a valid point.

What does get me is the statement I often read.

"Post surgery the person radically changed their way of eating and lost weight and kept it off for life."

The media headlines are all over the board which leads to confusion I expect.

To me it is more like having surgery to correct vision vs. glasses or contact lens. Some takes one option and some takes another option but on average most all are happy it seems. I stuck with glasses then for some reason my vision self corrected and now I do not need glasses to see at a distance per my driver's licenses and the OD.

We have so many things that works against us in life and weight maintenance is a huge one for most of us.
    And that makes no sense to me. LASIK vs glasses seems more like using a liposuction vs. deficit over time. LASIK and liposuction will get you where you need to be ("at goal") pretty much instantly with no work, and both will likely revert over time. Glasses and defecit over time are long term solutions (although glasses typically don't acutally improve your vision, so it's not quite right).

Sorry, maybe being an OD is the reason it works for me.

LASIK surgery is not required to have 20/20 vision.

Bariatric surgery is not required to be at one's ideal weight.

Both can be optional paths to try and reach the same goal. Both may or may not work well in the short/long run.

The key to failure is to make everything in life OPTIONAL as I see it at this point in my life.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I know several people who have had the surgery. Most have lost weight, some have regained.

Everyone one of them now has serious problems eating food. They have to be very careful what they eat or they have "issues". Presumably they end up throwing up and/or have diarrhea. We've never gone into details but when we go out to eat they are excusing themselves to the restroom every 5 minutes.

I believe many of these procedures require the patient to lose X amount of weight before the procedure. Have you done that? Are you required to?

I watched my 600 pound life once and a woman did this and ate Burger King four times a day and fried chicken at night. didnt lose much and whined and cried through the hour why cant I lose weight?

Its your choice. What ever works for you. But a nutritionist should be implied as well.
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I might be out to lunch on this but is it not possible to stretch your stomach again after the surgery? I have lost 60 pounds in total for a few years. Sometimes I gain a little back again because slowly but surely my old habits come back. It sounds to me like if I had this surgery I would magically lose weight and never have to worry again. But I do know better and feel much better about myself knowing I worked hard to get where I am today.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No offence but a gastric band won't solve your weight issues, it's your mind set that needs to change. Gastric bands carry a lot of risks and complications and overtime people can stretch the band and eat more and more, putting on weight. Plus there's a high chance you'll get saggy skin as the weight loss is too rapid.

Why not just try to cut back slowly and make small changes step by step? You can still enjoy food and not have to severely restrict yourself. On supersize vs superskinny they give the overweight person a sensible and steady diet plan to loose weight at a steady pace and they're put on like a 2000 calorie diet. As long as you're creating some sort of a deficit you will loose weight. Say you eat, 5000 calories a day and cut down to 3000, you'll loose weight and as your body gets use to the deficit and you feel less hungry you can cut it down gradually to 2000.

Overeating is nearly almost emotional (with the exception of hormones). You need to fix what's going on in your mind, not your stomach. Getting a gastric band is like treating the symptoms not the cause.

At the end of the day it's your decision but remember that a gastric band won't sort out your issues with food. The weight loss from a gastric band may be rapid but unhealthy and will leave you with loose skin. Why not put the money towards something else like therapy to deal with why you overeat or for a loose skin removal operation if you do by any chance have loose skin after losing weight without a gastric band?

I hope I don't sound mean. I believe you can loose weight without a band. Gastric band is a cheat way out and won't help you deal with your issues. A lot of people gain the weight back when the band stretches.

You have people on here to support and guide you with losing weight. If you've lost weight without a band before, it shows you're capable of loosing the weight you need without one. You don't have to starve yourself to loose weight. You can still have the foods you enjoy but in smaller quantities and be mindful of what you eat and learn to tell the difference between emotional and physical hunger.

Good luck to you but losing weight is all about determination and self belief. You can do it, you owe it to yourself. Others have lost weight and so can you! You've just got to believe in yourself!
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    People here are astounding. CICO is indeed a fundamental principle - one that has worked quite cleanly (if not without effort) for me personally. But people's bodies are complex organisms affected by a range of factors and will react differently. For example, people who have always been extremely obese my have a glitch in their "calories out" mechanism where their body is able to achieve homeostasis on much Lower calories. There are all sorts of things we don't know exactly. We can understand and work with the General principle while understanding how much variation there can be. Take a look at the people who eat 2,000 calories each day and lose weight while people at the same weight/height eat 1,200 to lose. Clearly there are differences that are influenced by genetics, life circumstances, body shape, etc. The vast, vast majority of people who lose weight through exerciser and nutrition gain it back and then some. That is the reality. And they are not all a bunch of uncontrolled, unmotivated people who don't know how to use a good scale. The majority of people who have weight loss surgery keep the weight off over the long term and significantly improve their health and lives. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly and should be a last resort because it does permanently alter your consumption patterns (high fat, high sugar are pretty much out for life), but it is a valid and potentially life transforming option that people should not be shamed for taking.
    My guess is that there is going to be a drastic difference in activity level and accuracy and logging.

The whole concept of WLS is that eating low calorie DOES work. I don't understand your insistence that some overweight people are immune to a calorie deficit. WLS just forces people to stay in a calorie deficit. It's essentially mandated portion control.

• newyorkcitymom
    Options
    People here are astounding. CICO is indeed a fundamental principle - one that has worked quite cleanly (if not without effort) for me personally. But people's bodies are complex organisms affected by a range of factors and will react differently. For example, people who have always been extremely obese my have a glitch in their "calories out" mechanism where their body is able to achieve homeostasis on much Lower calories. There are all sorts of things we don't know exactly. We can understand and work with the General principle while understanding how much variation there can be. Take a look at the people who eat 2,000 calories each day and lose weight while people at the same weight/height eat 1,200 to lose. Clearly there are differences that are influenced by genetics, life circumstances, body shape, etc. The vast, vast majority of people who lose weight through exerciser and nutrition gain it back and then some. That is the reality. And they are not all a bunch of uncontrolled, unmotivated people who don't know how to use a good scale. The majority of people who have weight loss surgery keep the weight off over the long term and significantly improve their health and lives. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly and should be a last resort because it does permanently alter your consumption patterns (high fat, high sugar are pretty much out for life), but it is a valid and potentially life transforming option that people should not be shamed for taking.
    My guess is that there is going to be a drastic difference in activity level and accuracy and logging.

The whole concept of WLS is that eating low calorie DOES work. I don't understand your insistence that some overweight people are immune to a calorie deficit. WLS just forces people to stay in a calorie deficit. It's essentially mandated portion control.

See, again you are displaying your ignorance. Weight loss surgery is not simply mandated portion control/calorie deficit. Part of how it works is by making it so that your body is unable to absorb a portion of the calories you consume - it bypasses your stomach, thereby not being digested and thus not part of the calories in calculation. The smaller pouch eventually expands but in the beginning stages it does indeed help you to adjust to smaller portions. If people are going to pronounce judgment, it would be helpful if they at least had some basic knowledge of the scientific processes involved - something patients are educated extensively in.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

See, again you are displaying your ignorance. Weight loss surgery is not simply mandated portion control/calorie deficit. Part of how it works is by making it so that your body is unable to absorb a portion of the calories you consume - it bypasses your stomach, thereby not being digested and thus not part of the calories in calculation. The smaller pouch eventually expands but in the beginning stages it does indeed help you to adjust to smaller portions. If people are going to pronounce judgment, it would be helpful if they at least had some basic knowledge of the scientific processes involved - something patients are educated extensively in.

Please, tell me how I'm ignorant. If you reference my original post from August 11, you'll see my mom has had the surgery and a revision. And she recommended I have it as well. Hope you're enjoying the view from your soap box though.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Unfortunately you're mistaken here. bypassing the stomach doesn't mean that nutrients don't get absorbed at all; in fact the majority of nutrients get absorbed in the small intestines. The stomach just breaks down the big stuff. Shrinking down the stomach just makes you feel faster.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You know the thread has jumped the shark when the OP left more than a month ago and people who have not bothered to read the thread spend significant time calling each other ignorant.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    You know the thread has jumped the shark when the OP left more than a month ago and people who have not bothered to read the thread spend significant time calling each other ignorant.

Regardless of OP, other people read these threads, often without commenting ('lurkers') and need to be properly informed without all the false 'facts' being handed out.
  • newyorkcitymom
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Unfortunately you're mistaken here. bypassing the stomach doesn't mean that nutrients don't get absorbed at all; in fact the majority of nutrients get absorbed in the small intestines. The stomach just breaks down the big stuff. Shrinking down the stomach just makes you feel faster.

As I said, PART of how it works is by making your body unable to absorb a PORTION of the nutrients - not just by passing quickly through the stomach but also by bypassing a section of the small intestine. It is the COMBINATION of enforced portion control, malabsorption and changes in the gut that affect hormones controlling hunger, satiety, etc - i.e., chemical and hormonal changes. Say what you want about it, but the idea that this is just "mandated portion control" that forces obese people to do what they could/should do without it is just patently false. The facts are: long lasting obesity from an early age in a portion of the population is not easily explained and at the very least doctors have discovered that there are complex hormonal, genetic and lifestyle factors that all interact with one another to make it qualitatively more difficult for some people to lose weight; weight loss surgery is the most proven effective tool for extremely obese people and has a much higher success rate than any other weight loss program; people who undergo weight loss surgery are able to reverse and treat damaging medical conditions such as diabetes; those who undergo the surgery have to undergo a regimen that involves attempt to lose weight, strict diet modification and education before receiving the procedure. All that being said, you are entitled not to listen to these scientific facts and to maintain your own opinions; my primary objection is not to win a debate about weight loss surgery, but to object to the moralizing and shaming of other posters considering it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

As I said, PART of how it works is by making your body unable to absorb a PORTION of the nutrients - not just by passing quickly through the stomach but also by bypassing a section of the small intestine. It is the COMBINATION of enforced portion control, malabsorption and changes in the gut that affect hormones controlling hunger, satiety, etc - i.e., chemical and hormonal changes. Say what you want about it, but the idea that this is just "mandated portion control" that forces obese people to do what they could/should do without it is just patently false. The facts are: long lasting obesity from an early age in a portion of the population is not easily explained and at the very least doctors have discovered that there are complex hormonal, genetic and lifestyle factors that all interact with one another to make it qualitatively more difficult for some people to lose weight; weight loss surgery is the most proven effective tool for extremely obese people and has a much higher success rate than any other weight loss program; people who undergo weight loss surgery are able to reverse and treat damaging medical conditions such as diabetes; those who undergo the surgery have to undergo a regimen that involves attempt to lose weight, strict diet modification and education before receiving the procedure. All that being said, you are entitled not to listen to these scientific facts and to maintain your own opinions; my primary objection is not to win a debate about weight loss surgery, but to object to the moralizing and shaming of other posters considering it.

There is also a misconception about the amount of nutrition education given to patients who have bariatric surgery. That varies as much as the doctors who perform it. It's very important for patients to educate themselves, before and after the surgery. Many of them are only taught to eat the smaller portions and to eat a significantly larger amount of protein than they did before. However - the stomach can still be stretched back to its former size. Patients can regain the weight. They need to be taught how to eat properly regarding calorie goals so that once weight loss goals are achieved and they are able to eat normallly, they don't regain all the weight because they don't know how to eat right to avoid that. They aren't taught that.
  • Sumaire66
    Sumaire66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    OP, why a gastric bypass instead of a gastric sleeve. My BIL had a sleeve--was 450, now 210. Another friend had the sleeve and lost 80 pounds. Both are doing well. Good luck!!!!
    If she has GERD, then RNY would be better for her, from what I have been reading on the subject. (I'm also looking at having the surgery)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The whole concept of WLS is that eating low calorie DOES work. I don't understand your insistence that some overweight people are immune to a calorie deficit. WLS just forces people to stay in a calorie deficit. It's essentially mandated portion control.[/quote]

I have wasted a whole lot of time typing in this thread when I should have just said this.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP??
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @jgnatca is one of those people who has been motivated to make lifestyle changes, which is why she's so successful. However, it has been my perception she's more the exception than the rule.

This is where the (vocal) internet gives skewed results. The success rate is more like 45% of post-bariatric patients are successful over the long term. And most experience years of improved health outcomes.

I was entered in to a program here in Canada that works hard to improve outcomes by providing the counselling and education to assure success. Patients who may be poor candidates are screened from the program.

@jgnatca - I appreciate you continuing to post and share your experience despite the anti-WLS sentiment in this thread.

I wonder if the people in the failure anecdotes had such a good support program.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's essentially mandated portion control.

Except there are a few other things going on. There are changes in ghrelin production for instance, and for many type 2 diabetics, a nearly instant remission of symptoms that cannot be explained by weight loss alone. There's something in the way the body takes in food that is changed, that is not yet completely understood.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    No. It's the combination of the weight loss surgery with the lifestyle change that has proved more successful than anything else. Everyone who starts any diet is motivated to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight but more people are successful at maintaining the required lifestyle if they've also had surgery. Those are the findings. It's not hard to imagine why this is so. As others upthread have noticed, you will become physically sick if you overeat after surgery. That's a powerful motivating tool, albeit a pretty harsh one. In contrast, without surgery, you only get the pleasure that comes from overeating, and then are stuck with the guilt afterwards.

Edit: I am editing this post to add that I have not had weight loss surgery so I really have no dog in this fight. As humans, we'd like to think that we are not slaves to our instincts like overeating when excess food is available (a very valuable instinct for our ancestors), but the truth is that our rational mind does not always win the battle. But it also means we can be responsive to negative stimuli like when you pull on your dog's collar to make him heel. That's what weight loss surgery is and yes, it's pretty draconian. But we need solutions that address the reality of who we are, not the ideal that we wish we all were.

Well said! ...and an excellent post!