123457»

Replies

• stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    stephmph16 wrote: »
    Thank you for your insight!

I'm a newbie to lifting, and I'm currently losing weight and seeing new muscle (or maybe not new muscle, but muscle that was hiding under fat?)

I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose, but I really like lifting and want to get more muscular. So should I plan to continue my calorie deficit until I lose the 15 lbs, then build mass/muscle once I get to my goal fat/weight loss?
    Go about losing your 15lbs and reassess when you get there. You may like what you see or you may not. Then at that point you can make a new plan of action.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks Niner!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much AslSmile. I totally (finally) understand. Makes lots of sense.

plus, don't be discouraged. you can gain a fair bit of strength without needing to grow more physical muscle bulk to do it. it's all worthwhile.

don't quote me since i'm just a random passer-by, but i figure 'recomp' makes more sense when you're down to an amount of excess fat that can realistically be 'replaced' by muscle [you don't literally replace fat with muscle, but i'm talking about a shift in body composition]. it would be pretty hard for anyone to grow 50 pounds of muscle in any realistic time-frame, so probably not something you need to add to your projects just yet.